Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 1/30/2024 at 6:45 PM, BigDHornfan said:

Get an Old Forester 100 proof.
I prefer it over the EW BiB and it’s just as cheap.

Finally replaced  one of my daily drinkers with the OF 100.  It’s around $48 for a 1.5L vs.  around $28 for the Evan Williams BIB.  It is noticeably better and it’s only another $20.  With my simple taste that says something.  Thanks for the rec.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 10:31 PM, Buzzrock said:

1910 is my fave of the regular OF offerings. Desert island bourbon imo.

Yes. It’s also (IMO) the best example of the axioms below, especially axiom 3- originally posted in 2020 when comparing OF1920 and 1910. 
No disrespect to how anyone spends their money and I’ve chased plenty of hard to find bottles (like W12) down because I love that particular whiskey, but the price landscape of the secondary market is an function of scarcity that aligns to social media marketing, not quality and for that reason I do not pay over MSRP.

On 1/25/2020 at 9:11 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

That’s true, and my preference is the opposite. But either way, one is special and the other is great.

On the single barrel. I’ve never had it. Like most single barrels I imagine it ranges from transcendent to just OK.

Bourbon Axioms of Bozo Casanova:
1) People don’t want to pay for bourbon. They want to pay for bourbon they can’t find.
2) The best bourbon is often hard to get, but the hardest bourbon to get us not usually the best.
3) All good blends are better than all but the best single barrels, and only the absolute best individual barrels are better than the best blends.
4) There’s plenty of good bourbon.
5) Until somebody drinks it, it isn’t any good.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

Have celebrities gotten into the bourbon game yet? I've been getting into tequila (see the other thread) and holy shit, half of the new ones are owned by celebrities and marketed through social media. Saw one at the liquor store yesterday I hadn't heard of, googled it, and it's owned by Kendall fucking Jenner. JFC.

What's funny is they tend to very much downplay it on the packaging. Unless you do some serious research, or are active on SM (I'm not), you'd never know in most cases. If I were a more cynical guy, I'd say it's almost like they're trying to fool people who are just browsing the liquor store and not directed to their product by an Instagram post.

50 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Yes. If a celebrity is attached to an alcohol there is an overwhelmingly high chance that it’s absolute trash.

That seems like the consensus in the tequila world, too. The only ones I've seen rated well are George Strait's and, shockingly, Sammy Hagar/Guy Fieri's.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Have celebrities gotten into the bourbon game yet? I've been getting into tequila (see the other thread) and holy shit, half of the new ones are owned by celebrities and marketed through social media. Saw one at the liquor store yesterday I hadn't heard of, googled it, and it's owned by Kendall fucking Jenner. JFC.

What's funny is they tend to very much downplay it on the packaging. Unless you do some serious research, or are active on SM (I'm not), you'd never know in most cases. If I were a more cynical guy, I'd say it's almost like they're trying to fool people who are just browsing the liquor store and not directed to their product by an Instagram post.

Terry Bradshaw’s bourbon is pretty good. Especially the single barrel. It’s not priced well at just under $70. 

The small batch makes a really good whiskey sour.

Distilled in Owensboro Kentucky is on the label, so I assume Green River is contract distilling for Bradshaw. 

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

What's funny is they tend to very much downplay it on the packaging.

Metallica went the exact opposite direction with the extremely comprehensive branding of  "Blackened: Whiskey Remastered"

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Terry Bradshaw’s bourbon is pretty good. Especially the single barrel.

Oh, Bill. We love many of the same things but you have a real problem.  

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Metallica went the exact opposite direction with the extremely comprehensive branding of  "Blackened: Whiskey Remastered"

Oh, Bill. We love many of the same things but you have a real problem.  

? I tasted the small batch and the single barrel, and the single barrel was better. 

Been a minute since I was in a buying mood, but it struck today and I found this one the shelf.

I’m on record that their 16YO is a Top 5 Rye for me, so I took the plunge, having never seen this on the shelf.

TL/DR this is a heavy BUY recommendation!

de8552f662bbc8ae8d319547906059ca.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, huge said:

Regarding OF 1924 its pretty good but the price is off.

Not sure I would buy a second bottle at MSRP.  Certainly not worth anything more than that IMO.

It's a 10 yr,  standard pricing seems about $10 for every year of age (Eagle Rare notwithstanding, but I bet the msrp on that goes up soon) .  that's where we are these days unfortunately. 

Edited by BigDHornfan

I've paid more for less (looking at you Bardstown).  But $120 for 10 year 100 proof "typical" bourbon is not where I want things to be headed.  I guess mostly I am disappointed in the pricing.  

I had it in a tasting with ER, EHT small, Blantons and Kentucky Spirit.  

Spirit was my favorite by a good bit.

7 hours ago, huge said:

I've paid more for less (looking at you Bardstown).  But $120 for 10 year 100 proof "typical" bourbon is not where I want things to be headed.  I guess mostly I am disappointed in the pricing.  

I had it in a tasting with ER, EHT small, Blantons and Kentucky Spirit.  

Spirit was my favorite by a good bit.

Was the Spirit a pick?

On 2/23/2024 at 9:00 AM, tokamak said:

I’ve drunk McM’s Longbranch (Wild Turkey) and it was quite palatable, but I’ve been a Wild Turkey drinker for 50 years.  I saw Bob Dylan’s “Heaven’s Door” yesterday in a store, but decided I’d be embarrassed to actually buy it.  Love the song, though.  Any reviews by Surly?

23 minutes ago, Horn Draoi said:

I’ve drunk McM’s Longbranch (Wild Turkey) and it was quite palatable, but I’ve been a Wild Turkey drinker for 50 years.  I saw Bob Dylan’s “Heaven’s Door” yesterday in a store, but decided I’d be embarrassed to actually buy it.  Love the song, though.  Any reviews by Surly?

My club has done a couple of single barrels of Heaven's Door and they were pretty damn tasty.  Especially the one we did that was finished in a Vino De Naranja cask.