Bourbon

Jimbaround

The Elijah Craig Small Patch, one month in a personalized barrel came out really well. 

Still not worth the money, I had to top it off like a son of gun, but rotating the barrel every two days really helps with the yield. Make sure you turn it upside down and hit the top of the barrel. I'd also suggest barrel aging a rye and then aging a bourbon. Nice flavor profile. 

I still think vatting is better, but barreling is a fun little exercise to pass the summer months. 

20 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Agreed. I have batch going right now. 

This guy seems to know what he's doing, and he says let it sit for at least two months : 

http://drinkwire.liquor.com/post/when-in-drought-make-your-own#gs.DEAsXvY

Has anyone actually tried this or just hoopla?  I mean has anyone who drinks Pappy actually tried this sub?

Edited by ruitxn

6 hours ago, huge said:

Bill I got the Hancock at GG on 6.

They usually have something interesting available.

Thank you brother. Was it a "relationship" pick or did they have it on the shelf? 

I haven't seen Hancock in ages. It got sort of popular as a Blanton's alternative, but I think it's better. Don't ask me how, it just is. 

7 hours ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

Just had this guy. Disappointed. No better than W12 or W107. 

This is one of those cynical marketing novelties that I wouldn't bother with unless somebody with good taste tells me it's worth trying. Based on my understanding of CYPB, I'm surprised that you are suggesting it's anywhere near as good as W12. 

Had some Crown Royal brewers mash last night.  $26 a bottle apparently, and pretty dammed smooth. It's a blend of course, with a rye component as well, but the rye really doesn't really come thru IMO, it drinks like an Eagle Rare.  Had a couple 3 finger pours neat.

I like to shit on Crown Royal as much as anybody, but CR Northern Harvest Rye is incredibly delicious. Like I have never tasted a whiskey that went better with ginger ale or Sprite, and I say that with zero irony.

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

I like to shit on Crown Royal as much as anybody, but CR Northern Harvest Rye is incredibly delicious. Like I have never tasted a whiskey that went better with ginger ale or Sprite, and I say that with zero irony.

Yeah, ya never wanna give them Canuks any credit on the whiskey stage, but I was more than pleasantly surprised by its drinkability.  It's almost like a guilty pleasure.

8 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’m a fan of the Northern Harvest Rye. It’s an excellent cheap rye. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think it was about $60 after taxes down here. 

I get it, it's a 12 year bourbon. Still a little steep, but it's probably my easy to find go to now. 

Yep, it's tasty stuff and bourbon prices are up across the board. Word is they are just about out of the sourced juice so it may be wise to stock up. 

2 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:

Yep, it's tasty stuff and bourbon prices are up across the board. Word is they are just about out of the sourced juice so it may be wise to stock up. 

Thanks for the heads up. 

You never know what will happen when brands move away from sourcing. See Smooth Ambler Big Level. Yes I know it's a younger bourbon, but it's not good. It's possible to make a good, young bourbon see the Willet 4 Year Storm Dollar. 

I'm drinking a bottle of decanted Knob Creek Single Barrel, not a store pick. My goodness, it turned out well. You can taste the proof, but it doesn't burn. Really smooth, drinks like a 90 proofer. 

For the vatting/decanting aficionados: 

I used a clean IW Harper 15 bottle and let it sit until I forgot about it. Probably two months.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

New Riff is supposed to be really good. I believe it's unavailable in Texas. 

New Riff is ok for 4 year old bourbon, it should be good though with a few more years of age. They've knocked the marketing aspect out of the park though and there is serious money being them. 

57 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Your knowledge is impressive. Do you work in the industry kind sir? 

Ha nope thanks for the compliment! I've just talked a lot with the stores around here and go in to new riff and Boone County every now and then. The new riff distiller tour is fantastic if you ever get a chance, I think they changed the wording and it's now called inside the lab or something. Lots of pours of all their juice and talking with the master distiller for an hour or so.