Bourbon

Jimbaround

8 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Can rhetoric 25 be any good? 25 years seems incredibly long in the barrel 

Orphan Barrel gets shat on plenty, but this one is actually pretty good.  I bought one for $149 retail and don’t regret it at all.  I’m not saying I want to mow through a 3 oz pour, but it’s not a tannic oak bomb by any stretch.  Thinking about picking up a backup because there’s nothing else like it available at retail routinely.  

Edited by USCATX

3 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Figured something strong was needed for today. Hoping for a win instead of an empty bottle... may end up with both.

d064506bcf19674b5d4693e2bf1bbea4.jpg

...And it's empty bottle. 

Good luck gents. I'm going to dome Weller 12 until I "fall asleep". 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, That Guy said:

I got you fam. You’re in htown?  I make it there once a quarter. If you there I’ll bring one with me next time I head down there. 

Nice... I want to try Kentucky Chew as well. 

My opinion of Jim Beam has changed since decanting some Knob Creek Single Barrel. My goodness, that was tasty. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I hit a bourbon tasting/happy hour for work yesterday. Very good spot in Houston. Bless their hearts, regular Angel Envy,  the Coffee Grain Japanese whiskey stuff, and some forgettable sherry cask finish whiskey. 

There were bottles of Eagle Rare 10 and McKenna Single Barrel within arm distance. Come on man! 

Oh well, at least the food was good. 

24 minutes ago, QuesoEspecial said:

So is Weller 12 readily available or what? Asking for a friend😎

It's more available around Thanksgiving. 

Fathers' Day is another good time to look. 

Honestly, I think you're a bit slow to the punch. You might have already missed it. It's a once a week, twice a year, type release. 

8 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

I found my first ever bottle of Blanton's at a little neighborhood store in West Houston, and a 1.75L last week of W12 in Longview.

Been a nice little 10 days.

Same.   Blantons and 12 yr in the last week...

Where is the Eagle Rare?  Santa needs to know

5 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:
3 hours ago, mackavelli said:
Same.   Blantons and 12 yr in the last week...

Where is the Eagle Rare?  Santa needs to know

I found some yesterday at a Total Wine in Huntington Beach, California (yeah, liquor stores are open on Sundays). It'll be gone before I head back to Texas, though.

Having to beg for some Eagle Rare in the back is a sad state of affairs. 

Just now, Jerry Callo said:
2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:
Having to beg for some Eagle Rare in the back is a sad state of affairs. 

Right. The handle of Eagle Rare is a giant bottle, but I didn't think I could finish it before I left.

Love me some Eagle Rare handles. 

I assume the bourbon selection is pretty decent in California? It's definitely wine country out there. 

Love me some Eagle Rare handles. 
I assume the bourbon selection is pretty decent in California? It's definitely wine country out there. 
That was the only hard to find bottle last night. I was hoping to find some Weller 12, but they didn't have any Weller at all. There are liquor stores on every corner, so might look for some tomorrow. My Eagle Rare is running low.

11 hours ago, mbpcb said:

Anyone know the back story on the J Mattingly scandal on BSM?

I just googled J Mattingly as I’d never heard of it. This took me down a rabbit hole. 

So this guy apparently was blending a bunch of whiskey at his place in a bunch of rubber tubs and bottling it. Then a bunch of fanboys were trying to flip these bottles for huge prices when it was just garbage. Operation got exposed for what it was? Flippers mad they can’t rip people off anymore? 

So confused. Never heard of any of those bourbons before. Must be a super secret craft scene I don’t know about. Which I’m more than happy I don’t. 

I just googled J Mattingly as I’d never heard of it. This took me down a rabbit hole. 
So this guy apparently was blending a bunch of whiskey at his place in a bunch of rubber tubs and bottling it. Then a bunch of fanboys were trying to flip these bottles for huge prices when it was just garbage. Operation got exposed for what it was? Flippers mad they can’t rip people off anymore? 
So confused. Never heard of any of those bourbons before. Must be a super secret craft scene I don’t know about. Which I’m more than happy I don’t. 

This explains all the colorful rubber tub memes. Wow

13 minutes ago, huge said:

I have a Specs store pick ER that I would trade if you had something interesting to offer in return

Thanks, I can usually find bottles of it around here in VA.  But that's not always 100% of the time any more.  My Xmas present to myself is gonna be assembling a case of ER between now and the end of the month. Sort of like a 12 days of Christmas thing.  We'll drink half of it between Christmas and New Years probably.