Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 12/6/2018 at 7:24 PM, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

I got a couple of the Liquor Hut NCF picks earlier this year and finally opened one. It is incredible, like a better version of ORVW. 

Weird.  At another store I got store pick Buffalo Trace.  It was delicious, one of my favorite bottles.  Considering the OWA store pick hype I find it odd that mine wasn't great.  Must have been a shitty pick by the store owner.  They are in a suburban strip mall so wouldn't surprise me if they just chose whatever to get the sticker put on it.

1910 again tonight. Jackie Zykan talked me into it. 

I scored a bottle of Midwinter's Night Dram today while begging for Thomas Handy. I can probably get another bottle next week. Might as well at $76 a bottle. 

The plan right now is Midwinter next weekend, Pappy 12 on Christmas Eve/Day, and Mitchers 10 during the Sugar Bowl. 

Thoughts on Redemption Rye? I got a bottle today in an office white elephant party and sipping on it now. 
I like Manhattans quite a lot but there aren’t many ryes that I like sipping. This isn’t one of the few. I think it will be serviceable in cocktails. Reviews vary. 

Sazerac rye and bulleit rye are daily sippers for me... before you get to the KO and Michters Barrel Strength upper echelon

I love me a sazerac rye too

1910 again tonight. Jackie Zykan talked me into it. 
I scored a bottle of Midwinter's Night Dram today while begging for Thomas Handy. I can probably get another bottle next week. Might as well at $76 a bottle. 
The plan right now is Midwinter next weekend, Pappy 12 on Christmas Eve/Day, and Mitchers 10 during the Sugar Bowl. 

What act and scene? I don’t even know what they mean technically, but I love MWND enough that a 2019 goal is to figure out the palate belt act and scene. I’ve got 7 or 8 varieties at home and plan to try new ones when I find them at bars.

2 minutes ago, mbpcb said:

What act and scene? I don’t even know what they mean technically, but I love MWND enough that a 2019 goal is to figure out the palate belt act and scene. I’ve got 7 or 8 varieties at home and plan to try new ones when I find them at bars.

Act 6, Scene 1. I want another bottle because Handy/Sazerac 18/Van Winkle Rye aren't walking through the door any time soon. 

Bourbon House in New Orleans is releasing every Pappy and BTAC over a 9 day period before Christmas. Awesome idea, but I'm sure it'll be at least $30 a pour. 

8 minutes ago, milkman said:

I can’t find it locally. So I usually resort to the secondary market to buy. What did you pay retail?

$109

It was marked up, but I didn’t care. I just left Specs empty handed where the whiskey guy was less than friendly. Oh, which reminds me...Fuck Specs 

On 12/13/2018 at 4:47 PM, Quagmire said:

d85f5b04f5132041252e30ddae000f2a.jpg

It’s beautiful , gotta pick up some cokes to mix it with .

Paid 140, kinda surprised big store like goody goody would markup over msrp

My homie got a bottle in Dallas, but he paid about 5x what you did. Is it worth pappy 12 money?

Edited by pops

My homie got a bottle in Dallas, but he paid about 5x what you did. Is it worth pappy 12 money?

I also paid $140 for it. I’ve always thought there wasn’t anything out there that I’d be willing to pay over $200 for, but honestly I’d pay secondary prices for this bottle.
IMO, this is the best bourbon I’ve ever had.
And it’s not even close. I haven’t had Pappy but the people I know that have say Pappy is great and all but overrated and not nearly worth what you have to pay for it.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

I also paid $140 for it. I’ve always thought there wasn’t anything out there that I’d be willing to pay over $200 for, but honestly I’d pay secondary prices for this bottle.
IMO, this is the best bourbon I’ve ever had.
And it’s not even close. I haven’t had Pappy but the people I know that have say Pappy is great and all but overrated and not nearly worth what you have to pay for it.

The proofers and the wheaters  seem to like William Larue Weller more than Pappy. 

It seems like there’s more WLW out there this year than Stagg and Handy. The BTAC barrel numbers for 2018 would be an interesting read.

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The proofers and the wheaters  seem to like William Larue Weller more than Pappy. 

I'm not a proofer, but my general ranking of that mashbill is

WLW

PVW15

PVW20

Old Rip

Weller 12

PVW23

Antique

OG Weller

Garbage Buffalo Trace White Dog

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

50 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm not a proofer, but my general ranking of that mashbill is

WLW

PVW15

PVW20

Old Rip

Weller 12

PVW23

Antique

OG Weller

Garbage Buffalo Trace White Dog

I would agree 100% other than I would swap PVW 15 and WLW for the first slot.  It for me more like 1A and 1B. It’s close. 

• Like 1