Jump to content

Bourbon


Jimbaround

Recommended Posts

For any listeners of The Podcask, I’m en route to Louisville for Whiskey Weekend. This is my first trip to KY, so I’m excited to check it out. I have a private tasting tonight at Justin’s House of Bourbon. The Carters are scheduled to be a part of the festivities this weekend and there are murmurs they will be setting up a pop up store like they did a few weeks ago. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not bad, hot on the front end with a smooth transition to deep caramel/ bourbon flavor.

A little warm upfront, settles to a nice warm bourbony flavor with strong caramel after taste, i like it.0d80cad8f845e921055c555605f99004.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The private tasting at Justin’s House of Bourbon was incredible. Highlights included pours of 21 year Hirsch Rye, 8 year Old Fitz from 1983 (Stizler-Weller juice), Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend and Old Forester very old 1910. I think it’s all downhill from here…

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fud said:

As expected since I've spent like $180 there this year, got nothing from the TW Van Winkle raffle

 

Thats a Tuesday stop for a bottle of wine and a bottle of bourbon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

The private tasting at Justin’s House of Bourbon was incredible. Highlights included pours of 21 year Hirsch Rye, 8 year Old Fitz from 1983 (Stizler-Weller juice), Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend and Old Forester very old 1910. I think it’s all downhill from here…

That’s sounds pretty fun, but I’m not sure I could go that hard for like 3 days straight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How’d everybody do at Dollar Days? I saved about $40 on two bottles of a Maker’s Mark Private Select. 
 
No Jack picks gave me the sads. 
 
I saw Seagrass for $65. I almost went back for it, but I need to try it at a part first. 

Seagrass for $65 would have been a good find.

Got a woodford double oak for $42. This is one I know I like so happy to save $10

Got a rare breed for $38. Another one I already know I like and saved $15.

Got a chatanooga cask strength for $33, saved $12. Been wanting to try it, and wasn’t a huge fan at first, but after it sat a while it got better. Happy to get for $33.

Got an OF statesman for $42 saved $15, this is one I’ve been wanting to try. I would say it reminds me of OF100 but a little spicier. I would say OF100 is better for half the $

Got a redbreast 12 year for $52. Saved $20. This one is good on the nose and at the beginning, but then the middle and finish fall short. I would really like a cask strength version, but this one is a little light in the proof for me.


Thought hard about getting an oban14 for $60 (save $30) and laga16 for $73(save $30) but ultimately didn’t bc I’m on a bourbon thing and didn’t want more sub100proof scotches that are light in the pants. But I still find myself thinking about them.


These savings were vs the twins price, not the TW price.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:


Seagrass for $65 would have been a good find.

Got a woodford double oak for $42. This is one I know I like so happy to save $10

Got a rare breed for $38. Another one I already know I like and saved $15.

Got a chatanooga cask strength for $33, saved $12. Been wanting to try it, and wasn’t a huge fan at first, but after it sat a while it got better. Happy to get for $33.

Got an OF statesman for $42 saved $15, this is one I’ve been wanting to try. I would say it reminds me of OF100 but a little spicier. I would say OF100 is better for half the $

Got a redbreast 12 year for $52. Saved $20. This one is good on the nose and at the beginning, but then the middle and finish fall short. I would really like a cask strength version, but this one is a little light in the proof for me.


Thought hard about getting an oban14 for $60 (save $30) and laga16 for $73(save $30) but ultimately didn’t bc I’m on a bourbon thing and didn’t want more sub100proof scotches that are light in the pants. But I still find myself thinking about them.


These savings were vs the twins price, not the TW price.

Yeah, the higher the price the bigger the savings. I saved some money on wine too. I bought a few things I wanted to try for some time.
 

Early Times liters for $18 wasn’t bad. Yes they were Sazerac. 
 

I remember Jack picks in 2019 in 2020, but it was one location in San Marcos. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Passing on Seagrass at $65 is a mistake. Shit, worst case is you don’t like it and can easily trade a damn near full bottle for something of equivalent value.

Fair. What would you compare it too? Better than MWND?

Jack picks in Sugarland and would probably make me put in some miles. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not one to ask for a MWND compare. I don’t really love that one, but I recognize I’m pretty much on my own there.

Seagrass is damn good though. It earned its place on all those best of the year lists. It’s the best executed finished whiskey I’ve had, as the backbone of the Rye is unmistakable but the flavors from the barrels are there and elevate the end product.

I was initially hesitant because I also bought Armida and I could never get into it because nothing about it identified as a bourbon. I ended up giving that bottle away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

McKenna 10 last night. Just a pleasant, classic bourbon flavor profile. Nothing special, but content in it execution. 

Just killed a bottle of HM 10yr and transitioned to Wild Turkey 101.  First time having it so I’m surprised at how smooth it is for the proof.  I’ve always loved Rare Breed so I shouldn’t be surprised I guess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

A reminder of simpler times. Apologies for the shitty quality, found these in my Google pics from 2013:

 

 

DB536D09-25F9-4472-ADB8-122EF3585F7D.jpeg

DA34F3FE-BED8-438E-98F6-6A26CFBF6ED8.jpeg

387D18D5-C616-4DC4-B5AC-FB4C2257C5FC.jpeg

E1A80134-A909-480D-A144-D9927645323F.jpeg

 

This is around when I started drinking and collecting bourbon.  It was nice when you could grab a Weller Antique and Weller 12 year for under $30 a bottle and they were readily available. Same goes for Eagle Rare, Bookers, Blanton’s and the rest that were always on the shelf.  Bourbon is very much like the current watch industry where you can’t get anything and everything is marked up to stupid levels mostly because people are trying to make money buying and selling bourbon instead of just drinking and enjoying it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/31/2022 at 3:07 PM, Fud said:

As expected since I've spent like $180 there this year, got nothing from the TW Van Winkle raffle

I walked into a Total Wine last week for the first time in a couple of months, and they had Blanton's on the shelf. Picked one up, opened the box in the car, and saw the dump date was November 3rd 2021. So probably a left over Blanton's that a shit load of people "won" from last year's rewards system. 

 

 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

 

This is around when I started drinking and collecting bourbon.  It was nice when you could grab a Weller Antique and Weller 12 year for under $30 a bottle and they were readily available. Same goes for Eagle Rare, Bookers, Blanton’s and the rest that were always on the shelf.  Bourbon is very much like the current watch industry where you can’t get anything and everything is marked up to stupid levels mostly because people are trying to make money buying and selling bourbon instead of just drinking and enjoying it. 

People don’t believe me when I tell them that green label Weller was $12 a bottle bourbon. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m just sad I can’t get Weller 12 and 107 for less than $30 any more. Those were my go tos. Then some asshole wrote an article saying they were basically Pappy.

I’ll buy all I can find for $30, but I can’t find it.  I also miss the days when I could stop at any liquor store on my way home from work and pick up a handle of whatever Weller suited my fancy on that particular day for less than $40.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

D6B2B239-C7CC-4022-84B2-2A0097D7D71D.thumb.jpeg.359e7f47af76938dc5f9c18128627525.jpegWell Old Grand Dad 114 should/would win many many blind tastes so I will be grabbing  all I can because, in my opinion, that one will be one of the next bourbons to get nostalgic about.  For the price it’s hard to beat.  

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with stork. The chase doesn’t have the appeal that it once did, mainly because finding anything really special essentially never happens here (TN).  Regulars like OGD 114 or WT 101 are strong options that are ALWAYS available (especially the WT 101) at a reasonable value.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

D6B2B239-C7CC-4022-84B2-2A0097D7D71D.thumb.jpeg.359e7f47af76938dc5f9c18128627525.jpegWell Old Grand Dad 114 should/would win many many blind tastes so I will be grabbing  all I can because, in my opinion, that one will be one of the next bourbons to get nostalgic about.  For the price it’s hard to beat.  

It’s been impossible to find for me in Austin. Talked to a liquor guy and he thought it was going to get better in April
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The private tasting at Justin’s House of Bourbon was incredible. Highlights included pours of 21 year Hirsch Rye, 8 year Old Fitz from 1983 (Stizler-Weller juice), Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend and Old Forester very old 1910. I think it’s all downhill from here…

Very Old 1910 you say… that sounds like it would kick all my favorites out the wheelhouse in a hurry!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bill, that’s a fun Sagamore pick - Glad to see they’re doing more of those. They recently opened a cocktail bar at the distillery that I’ve been meaning to check out… perfect time of the year to get on the water for a cocktail!

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...