The White House Correspondents' Dinner

burntorangebongos

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

The last I saw, Reid still hadn't fully owned up to her mistakes or the coverup. She does not deserve a pass. 

Eh, she explained and apologized enough. The FBI is looking into it.  That works for me.

There’s obviously a pretty well orchestrated character assassination operation going on in social media.

OK, Michelle Wolf is today's outrage du jour. I haven't seen the routine; saw a couple minutes worth of excerpts, and nothing seemed all that shocking or out of bounds. Do I have to watch it, or can I skip this one and wait for tomorrow's outrage?

Edited by Bat Guano

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Eh, she explained and apologized enough. The FBI is looking into it.  That works for me.

There’s obviously a pretty well orchestrated character assassination operation going on in social media.

That's not owning up.  That's like the opposite of owning up.  I had never heard of her before, but her career shouldn't survive this. 

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

The FBI is/was looking into it because she made up a story about being hacked to cover her ass.  Now that people realized she was lying about that, she is going with, “Well, I guess I can’t explain it ... but it wasn’t me.”  And people are accepting that as a valid apology and taking her medicine, because we’re hopelessly lost.

Or she’s actually telling the truth.  She didn’t believe it was her and wanted it investigated.

She still doesn’t believe it was her but apologized like it was.  

She didnt “Fake News!” it away or double down on denial.

And maybe we really shouldn’t give a flying fuck either way.

Hugo, I find you to be an excellent resource for news regarding Trump, his administration, and the right wing media's indiscretions. 

But when you casually dismiss a charge vs. someone on the left, it kinda devalues the legitimate criticisms you've worked so hard to inform us on.  Everyone - on both sides - needs to be held accountable. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

She knows whether or not she said those things.  "I don't believe I did" is absurd. 

Full disclosure, I was a huge piece of shit in years 1999-2000.  

There’s probably some things I said or wrote I wouldn’t believe if confronted with today at first glance.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

6 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

The crowd was roaring with laughter, profanity and all, until she started hitting hard.   Going blue is a non-issue except as pretext for the real complaint, which is that she told uncomfortable truths. 

I'm all for going after Kellyanne and Huckabee. Calling attention to the name "Conway" was a little weak. The tree falling bit was okay but adding "stuck under a tree" weakened it. We already got it. Explaining it makes it less funny. 

Yes, Sarah Huckabee lies. Constantly. Hit that harder. I've never watched The Handmaid's Tale so I didn't get that reference. Is Aunt Lydia fat and ugly too? Or was it something else? And I don't know if the smoky eye thing was the urban dictionary definition or something else. I don't see how it makes sense or is funny either way. She lies all the time. Ask the journalists how they can keep from just blowing up at her. "You're lying! Your boss is lying! We all know you're lying " The laughs from the correspondents would've really revealed an uncomfortable truth. 

And what was with the forced Uncle Tom analogy? That was clumsy. Disappoint other white women? An Uncle Tom doesn't disappoint other black people, he betrays them. If you're going to go there, don't water it down. But it would've been better to recall the things that Donald Trump said about Rosie O'Donnell, a private American citizen. Call Sarah's attention to that and the language that he used. Remind her that there but for the grace of her pussy grabbing boss goes she. 

Why should I give a shit what Joy Reid wrote on a blog years ago?

Would I care if Hannity made anti-Semitic statements on his blog 10 years ago?

Nope, I wouldn’t.

they are not elected officials, running for office, or working in government.

They’re media personalities.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There’s probably some things I said or wrote I wouldn’t believe if confronted with today at first glance.

I don't understand why you're willing to make excuses for her. 

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I doubt that.  The very act of you saying that you were a huge piece of shit implies that you know what you did to warrant that judgment and, if confronted with something from that era, you'd know whether or not it was something you would have said.   Maybe I could accept from her "I honestly don't remember saying those things, but they were consistent with my beliefs at the time, which have since changed."  But honestly believing that she did not say those things?  No way. 

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I'm all for going after Kellyanne and Huckabee. Calling attention to the name "Conway" was a little weak. The tree falling bit was okay but adding "stuck under a tree" weakened it. We already got it. Explaining it makes it less funny. 

Yes, Sarah Huckabee lies. Constantly. Hit that harder. I've never watched The Handmaid's Tale so I didn't get that reference. Is Aunt Lydia fat and ugly too? Or was it something else? And I don't know if the smoky eye thing was the urban dictionary definition or something else. I don't see how it makes sense or is funny either way. She lies all the time. Ask the journalists how they can keep from just blowing up at her. "You're lying! Your boss is lying! We all know you're lying " The laughs from the correspondents would've really revealed an uncomfortable truth. 

And what was with the forced Uncle Tom analogy? That was clumsy. Disappoint other white women? An Uncle Tom doesn't disappoint other black people, he betrays them. If you're going to go there, don't water it down. But it would've been better to recall the things that Donald Trump said about Rosie O'Donnell, a private American citizen. Call Sarah's attention to that and the language that he used. Remind her that there but for the grace of her pussy grabbing boss goes she. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Nope, I wouldn’t.

they are not an elected officials, running for office, or working in government.

TV hosts like Reid are purposefully shaping people's opinions of political issues. They have a responsibility to FULLY own up to their mistakes, or they're just another part of the problem. 

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

One can be critical of the level of skill in any comedy routine.  Sure, not all of the jokes were great.  But that's not really what this uproar is about. 

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Nope, I wouldn’t.

they are not an elected officials, running for office, or working in government.

The point is that you shouldn't be going out of your way to soften the story about her.

If the left can't acknowledge shitty behavior on the part of our own then we're doomed.  Not all leftists speak for me.  I don't speak for all leftists.  Why is this so difficult?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

TV hosts like Reid are purposefully shaping people's opinions of political issues. They have a responsibility to FULLY own up to their mistakes, or they're just another part of the problem. 

I approach the opinion/political shapers with the expectation that they’ve all done some deplorable/non politically correct shit in their past.  

I don’t feel the need to disregard their current message simply because they said some awful things in their ancient past.

It’s the same kinda thing with people that boycott Susan Sarandone/Sean Penn movies because they disagree with their politics.  Get over yourself. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The point is that you shouldn't be going out of your way to soften the story about her.

If the left can't acknowledge shitty behavior on the part of our own then we're doomed.  Not all leftists speak for me.  I don't speak for all leftists.  Why is this so difficult?

What exactly am I supposed to be outraged about again? 

Why is it important in the grand scheme of things?

21 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

14 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Nope, I wouldn’t.

they are not elected officials, running for office, or working in government.

They’re media personalities.

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I approach the opinion/political shapers with the expectation that they’ve all done some deplorable shit in their past.  

I don’t feel the need to disregard their current message simply because they said some awful things in the past.

It’s the same kinda thing with people that boycott Susan Sarandone/Sean Penn movies because they disagree with their politics.  Get over yourself. 

Just curious... what awful opinions did you have in the past that you are ashamed of?  You seem to be really hammering on this point for some reason.

In my own experience, I was duped into thinking the war in Iraq was necessary.  I was young and didn't understand what was going on behind the scenes. 

People evolve and grow as they get older.  Being able to admit that you were wrong and move past that isn't something to be ashamed of.  If someone like Joy Reid doesn't come clean though and goes about lying about it, why should we trust her?  How do we know she doesn't still have those feelings?

10 minutes ago, Amobie said:

In my own experience, I was duped into thinking the war in Iraq was necessary.

Yeah, same here.  I was pissed about it too.

Ive made homophobic comments in my past I’m not proud of.

Joy Reid said she’s made statements she’s not proud of along the same lines.  

I didn’t really give a shit anyway and I’m not sure why I’m supposed to trust Joy Reid in the first place.  She hosts a weekend morning opinion show. 

Meanwhile we have the biggest liars in the world running the government and not being held accountable... but please tell me more about Joy Reid lying about her slurs against the transgender community 10 years ago.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

11 minutes ago, Amobie said:

In my own experience, I was duped into thinking the war in Iraq was necessary.  I was young and didn't understand what was going on behind the scenes. 

I voted for W in 2000. I was moving to the left even then, but the Iraq War and the growing ugliness associated with the GOP's social positions made me realize I was firmly on the left side of the political spectrum.

I haven't voted for a single Republican since then. I doubt I ever will again. I just can't vote for anyone associated with that party.

28 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Why the hard on for Joy Reid?

I don't know what she allegedly said nor when she allegedly said it. Was it worse that the homophobic and Islamophobic things our recently confirmed Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said in the past? What is the role of that position in shaping not only public opinion but official policy? Do you have the same hard on for Pompeo? What about Donald "Nazis are fine people" and "Kim Jong Un is an honorable man" Trump?

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Why the hard on for Joy Reid?

I don't know what she allegedly said nor when she allegedly said it. Was it worse that the homophobic and Islamophobic things our recently confirmed Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said in the past? What is the role of that position in shaping not only public opinion but official policy? Do you have the same hard on for Pompeo? What about Donald "Nazis are fine people" and "Kim Jong Un is an honorable man" Trump?

Are you kidding? Of course I have a massive fucking problem with Trump and his cronies.  There is a war on truth right now in this country.  If you give a Trumpkin an inch, they will take a mile.  We need to hold every motherfucker accountable. 

No more half measures. 

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

Nobody is saying that Joy Reid is the greatest issue of our time.  Just that what she did should be unacceptable for a journalist and that it's a knock on MSNBC if they don't fire her.  For the cover-up alone. 

yeah, it's pretty silly of her to expect people to believe her on that weakass shit. own it, apologize for it, and move on. "i've grown a lot as a person in the intervening time frame, and i apologize for having those views then. they weren't okay then, and they are not okay now."

done. americans don't always need their pound of flesh. people are allowed to make mistakes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

Nobody is saying that Joy Reid is the greatest issue of our time.  Just that what she did should be unacceptable for a journalist and that it's a knock on MSNBC if they don't fire her.  For the cover-up alone. 

So she should get the Al Franken treatment? This is why democrats are habitual losers.

They think they can earn some short term credit by taking the high ground the other side refuses to take.

What did the democrats really gain by Franken resigning?  Not a fucking thing, and the GOP won again because they don’t give a fuck.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

So she should get the Al Franken treatment? This is why democrats are habitual losers.

They think they can earn some short term credit by taking the high ground the other side refuses to take.

What did the democrats really gain by Franken resigning?  Not a fucking thing, and the GOP won again because they don’t give a fuck.

VERY, VERY sadly...this.

Any veneer of decency, integrity, or doing what's right has been blasted away by the nuclear fire that is Donald Trump and the GOP that enables everything he does.

There is only one model of governance going forward:

Attack your opponents on every possible basis, including dehumanizing them and belittling them personally.

Deny any and all wrongdoing.  NEVER admit a mistake, NEVER take responsibility, NEVER be contrite.  EVER.

Say whatever you want, so long as you think it will get you votes.  "Lies" don't even exist.  All that exists is whatever you say, which becomes the new truth.

Buckle up, fellas.  You're gonna LOVE the Dem version of Trump, when they get around to it.

19 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It's not about credit.  It's about doing the right thing.  I don't give a shit if the Dems didn't gain anything tangible from ditching Franken.  They did the right thing and are better for it. Compromising morals for political gain is how you end up with the Trump GOP and Roy Moore getting 90% of the Republican vote.  It's how the Dems were discredited for years because they stood by Ted Kennedy and Bill Clinton.  These moral stands matter. 

But that doesn't have a hell of a lot to do with Joy Reid.  That's a journalistic issue, not a party or politician issue.  

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Buckle up, fellas.  You're gonna LOVE the Dem version of Trump, when they get around to it.

That is not a forgone conclusion, and it's something that we are all in a position to affect. Dems are winning everywhere without sinking to the GOP's level.  Some good people won in Virginia.  Doug Jones is a good dude who took down a pedophile Republican without throwing bombs.  The voters are already proving you wrong. 

12 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

It's not about credit.  It's about doing the right thing.  I don't give a shit if the Dems didn't gain anything tangible from ditching Franken.  They did the right thing and are better for it. Compromising morals for political gain is how you end up with the Trump GOP and Roy Moore getting 90% of the Republican vote.  It's how the Dems were discredited for years because they stood by Ted Kennedy and Bill Clinton.  These moral stands matter. 

But that doesn't have a hell of a lot to do with Joy Reid.  That's a journalistic issue, not a party or politician issue.  

This Joy Reid scandal is just another battle in the political warfare being conducted in the media and politics.  It was a character assassination from the very beginning.  Yeah, yeah, yeah she may have handled this very poorly but this is warfare.

Journalists and politicians are being targeted with the goal of taking them out of the arena.  Maddow was targeted last year with fraudulent classified documents.  

Get used to these type deals where you’re expected to call for their heads because “it’s the right thing to do.”

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

35 minutes ago, Chooky said:

The next WHCA host will be a mime.  Huckabee will step on all the punchlines by telling people around him that the performer is not really trapped in a box and that the rope is just imaginary.  

Truth from a Huckabee? Unlikely.

"The box is made of out the same material that they used to create the recently completed, completely invisible border wall. This material makes the best wall. It's far more effective than anyone could have even imagined and the project came in, both under budget and finished construction early." 

Edited by Pods

4 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Got any Scotch left?

For you, amigo, of course.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I will enjoy it immensely. I hope we get nationalized health care out of it.

We won't.

We'll just get raped in a different hole.  Hateful, lying demagoguery is NEVER a good thing.  And now we see, it's the only thing that really works in the United States of WWE Fans.

8 minutes ago, Pods said:

Truth from a Huckabee? Unlikely.

"The box is made of out the same material that they used to create the recently completed, completely invisible border wall. This material makes the best wall. It's far more effective than anyone could have even imagined and the project came in, both under budget and finished construction early." 

No, it would be more like:

Sarah:  "The wall was built last month.  It's a great wall, completely impenetrable.  And illegal immigration is now zero."

Media:  "Here's a photograph showing no wall.  Also, here are statistics of border crossings last month to present."

Sarah:  "Fake News!!!  The wall exists and is great!"

Trumpkins:  "Fake News!!! The wall exists and is great!"

16 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

The voters are already proving you wrong. 

when i read a brisket post i envision him in the future rolling around some rest home trying to get someone to agree that the world did end last tuesday.