OU @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

On the interview after the game with Craig Way, Hodo talked about growing up in a Longhorn family and what beating blOU has always meant.  Hodo even mentioned that as a kid,  1 day a year in the fall they were allowed to say "OU SUCKS"  🤘

• Hook 'Em 3

It still remains to be seen, but it appears that the youngsters continue to show promise.  To the point where roster turnover and graduation may result in some pretty salty teams.

Guarded optimism because in the past we've seen the youngsters regress or stagnate.  Perhaps not so much under Pierce, but nevertheless.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It still remains to be seen, but it appears that the youngsters continue to show promise.  To the point where roster turnover and graduation may result in some pretty salty teams.

Guarded optimism because in the past we've seen the youngsters regress or stagnate.  Perhaps not so much under Pierce, but nevertheless.

These were games we were losing a few seasons ago in ugly fashion.  The trendline is on the rise my friend.

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Since the first three games against stiff competition, this team has looked good. After those first three games, I didn't think they could turn things around this quickly in all facets of the game. I think the hitting, defense, and pitching look pretty solid. They are young and will probably have one or two more slumps but, hopefully, they will snap out of them quickly. As always, though, the Big 12 looks pretty tough. The remaining games with ou, Tech, TCU, and Oklahoma State won't be easy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Restinmybones said:

Since the first three games against stiff competition, this team has looked good. After those first three games, I didn't think they could turn things around this quickly in all facets of the game. I think the hitting, defense, and pitching look pretty solid. They are young and will probably have one or two more slumps but, hopefully, they will snap out of them quickly. As always, though, the Big 12 looks pretty tough. The remaining games with ou, Tech, TCU, and Oklahoma State won't be easy. 

They also did not get to practice much before those games because of the storm, right?  I imagine that may have played a role as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Restinmybones said:

Offense is still a concern imo.  It is significantly improved, but there are still a lot of strikeouts.  Situational hitting is better, but still not our standard.

Pitching and defense do seem solid.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Love this kid. Has a great eye at the plate and isn't intimidated by any pitcher. 

Just checked stats and of the 8 guys that have logged enough plate appearances to meet the minimum requirement he is leading in BA, OPS, OB, and SLG. 

So yeah I'd say he was a nice add. 

3 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Offense is still a concern imo.  It is significantly improved, but there are still a lot of strikeouts.  Situational hitting is better, but still not our standard.

I'd like to think there were maybe some nerves against OU last night but OU didn't walk anyone until the 11th inning. And then Daly took 4 balls in a row to get the first all night. Have to think there were a few more out there, Horns. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'd like to think there were maybe some nerves against OU last night but OU didn't walk anyone until the 11th inning. And then Daly took 4 balls in a row to get the first all night. Have to think there were a few more out there, Horns. 

Agree.  Yet, there’s one guy who’s willing to take a strike, then swings at three straight in the dirt.  Might be that guy should quit guessing with the pitcher and start the “see ball, hit ball” approach.

1 minute ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Agree.  Yet, there’s one guy who’s willing to take a strike, then swings at three straight in the dirt.  Might be that guy should quit guessing with the pitcher and start the “see ball, hit ball” approach.

He apparently can’t. But maybe think every pitch is a fastball until they stop throwing fastballs. Change SOMETHING. 

9 minutes ago, cochamps said:

It is, but I am "intuiting" a little that it is still youngsters getting their feet wet and that there is room for improvement.

The "oldsters" kind of are what they are and I'm hoping that the youngsters don't turn into them.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It is, but I am "intuiting" a little that it is still youngsters getting their feet wet and that there is room for improvement.

The "oldsters" kind of are what they are and I'm hoping that the youngsters don't turn into them.

Pretty much with you there.  We should have a pretty good idea by season’s end.

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not only do they show promise, they’re actually improving. Daly has gotten better every game, Faltine is a total stud at short and has nice short compact swing, Melendez has shown steady improvement, same with Silas and Hodo. Now if we could just start hopping on first or second pitch fastballs, that’d be great. Unfortunately, we lost the 2017 regional cause we watched too many strikes go by. It’s pretty clear Pierce wants to run up pitch counts, but fuck dude. The only 2 guys who don’t consistently watch BP type fast balls are Cam Williams and Daly. Really wish we’d be more aggressive at the plate. I wonder what it would take to get Zubia on the bench. DJ or Powell or Melendez over at first would probably be an upgrade hitting wise over Zubia 

10 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Not only do they show promise, they’re actually improving. Daly has gotten better every game, Faltine is a total stud at short and has nice short compact swing, Melendez has shown steady improvement, same with Silas and Hodo. Now if we could just start hopping on first or second pitch fastballs, that’d be great. Unfortunately, we lost the 2017 regional cause we watched too many strikes go by. It’s pretty clear Pierce wants to run up pitch counts, but fuck dude. The only 2 guys who don’t consistently watch BP type fast balls are Cam Williams and Daly. Really wish we’d be more aggressive at the plate. I wonder what it would take to get Zubia on the bench. DJ or Powell or Melendez over at first would probably be an upgrade hitting wise over Zubia 

There's a happy medium between being patient and making the pitcher work and jumping on hittable pitches.  We haven't found it in years, but it's there somewhere.

The question of course is whether the coaching is mindfucking them somehow.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

There's a happy medium between being patient and making the pitcher work and jumping on hittable pitches.  We haven't found it in years, but it's there somewhere.

The question of course is whether the coaching is mindfucking them somehow.

Based on DP’s time here, he apparently is all in on making the pitcher throw strikes. Which is fine but idk how many more hangers and right in the wheelhouse fastballs I can watch go by. Kind of why I want DJ in the lineup. That dude jumps all over hangers and belt high fastballs 

How the fuck does Skip have a pretty damn good hitting team but an above average coaching staff? When they hired him, I was expecting some Jungmann and Ruffin types up there but they’re pitching staff seems pretty average every year