Ski Season 18/19

texasdago

Now that I have my new eyes (post-cataract surgery) I'm likely going to hit up the Summit (Dillon area) or less likely Tahoe about the 3rd week of March (UT Spring Break).  Anyone going anywhere let me know.  My son is co-oping so he can only get maybe a Friday off but I might go for 4-5 days.  Anyway, we'll see.

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

Now that I have my new eyes (post-cataract surgery) I'm likely going to hit up the Summit (Dillon area) or less likely Tahoe about the 3rd week of March (UT Spring Break).  Anyone going anywhere let me know.  My son is co-oping so he can only get maybe a Friday off but I might go for 4-5 days.  Anyway, we'll see.

18th -24th in Breck

10 hours ago, crash_davis said:

We may do the Canyons during our SB trip in March.  Been forever since I rode there.

What lifts, trails do you recommend for riding?  Tips?  Advice?

It’s all good.  If you work the far left side as you face the mountain you can cut over to Park City on the gondola.

Yup... Crans Montana.  About 90 minutes from where we will be in Saas Fee.  It was a place I was thinking of as a side trip.  Sounds like warm weather caused the avalanche.  Saw a small one go into the trail in Obergurgl two years ago.  Scary enough when you think of you being near it, much less your kids.

Thinking of making a side trip to here since there should be some easy runs for the kids and, if I time it right, can go top/bottom and cover about 5700 vertical... 

trailmap.jpg 

Though it would take more effort (but surely worth it) there's Zermatt.

oh man that sucks!

I was playing around with the idea of doing some hike to lines @ Whistler (still inbounds) but just know I don't have even the faintest clue about avalanche/crevasse safety.  Plus there's the name ....Bodybag bowl...  so yeah, that's a no for me dog.

We were lapping the kt22 chair @ Squaw during a blizzard... the resort was pretty damned empty but the snow was epic even though it was a near whiteout conditions.  (I love storm days)  Each run was fresh tracks and all the lines got filled in by the time you got back around to them.   On the 5th or 6th ride up the lift, the chair stopped near some trees which protected us from the storm...  but after a minute or two we hear what call only be described as a freight train low rumble.  We just sat there in silence kinda freaked out... we couldn't see anything because of the weather and the trees...  asked the lifty at the top if they had a slide and he said, "no, I don't think so...  we are closing up early though"   I did that last run water tight and that was it for the day.  I'll never forget that sound and low rumble /csb

33 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

lost a buddy to an avalanche in the back country this weekend. sadly, one of those situations where he didn't have near enough training and got himself in a situation he shouldn't have. 

These kinds of events are enough to keep me inbounds 99% of the time.

Went to Telluride back in January and it was awesome as usual.

Headed to SLC this weekend to ski Alta on Saturday and Deer Valley on Sunday. Never been to either so I'm pretty pumped. They've had incredible snow the last few weeks but it looks like that might die off right before we get there. Oh well, it should still be great.

2 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Went to Telluride back in January and it was awesome as usual.

Headed to SLC this weekend to ski Alta on Saturday and Deer Valley on Sunday. Never been to either so I'm pretty pumped. They've had incredible snow the last few weeks but it looks like that might die off right before we get there. Oh well, it should still be great.

Go to Alta first, you may change your mind about going to Deer Valley. Given the choice of the 2 I'd pick Alta every time unless the snow sucked.

Go to Alta first, you may change your mind about going to Deer Valley. Given the choice of the 2 I'd pick Alta every time unless the snow sucked.

Thanks for the advice but I think we’re pretty well committed to a day at each. We’ve done PC/Canyons so we just wanted a quick chance to check a couple others off the list.

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That the guy in Heavenly or is that a separate incident?

No this was in CO. Our mutual friend was actually in silverton over the weekend and was talking to his guide and mentioned where our friend was in the backcountry. The guide said something to the effect of “there’s no chance I’d go there right now. Way too dangerous.” 

Saw that... brutal.  

I posted a picture a couple of pages back from Courmayeur where I traversed across the face of the bowl to get to some powder.  I don't think its ever possible to cross into those areas without having thoughts of an avalanche in the back of your head.  That day... temps were warming up, snowpack can loosen.  I didn't have a shovel or transceiver.  No avalanche training.  Skiing solo.  But the run is right there!?  Yes... still... makes you think.

Check these out...

First one is !!!!

Headed from AUS to RDM right now to ski Bachelor. Never in my life have I ever schooled myself on avalanche safety, but considering they have almost 300 inches and folks died at Taos (& other places) this year, I just spent some time reading and I might actually buy a beacon/balloon. I’ve skied thru several knee high snow slides in my day, but the amount of snow this year is ridiculous and I don’t want to leave my kids fatherless. 

Last year I skied PC/Canyons with a few friends and it was probably the most challenging conditions I’ve ever skied, but due to lack of snow. We were at the top of Canyons and going over the back side thru the trees. At times the snow was several feet deep and then you’d come to a patch where there was absolutely nothing. Looking back on it, it was dangerous, but I really got better as a skier that day. I’ve been skiing for 30 years, and by no means am I a badass, but its been a while since I was challenged like that. I’ll go back and see if we have any decent videos of that trip- it really was surreal. 

Anyway, looking forward to getting some turns in this weekend. And of course drinking my face off. 

Even deep powder, without an avalanche, can be deadly.  Head first fall and your feet up above you in waist deep powder and you're screwed.  Happened to me and I full on panic-ed for a moment.  I managed to get an air path with my arm, but every little wiggle sent more snow down...   Asshole buddy had to pull me out, he was laughing, I was NOT.

Honestly I prefer knee deep or less to massive powder dumps...  but hey riding on top of 12" of pow feels the same as 36" but a lot less tiring and potentially dangerous.  /oldman

PS pre-trip workouts have been sucking... gotta pay to play

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Loco said:

Even deep powder, without an avalanche, can be deadly.  Head first fall and your feet up above you in waist deep powder and you're screwed.  Happened to me and I full on panic-ed for a moment.  I managed to get an air path with my arm, but every little wiggle sent more snow down...   Asshole buddy had to pull me out, he was laughing, I was NOT.

Honestly I prefer knee deep or less to massive powder dumps...  but hey riding on top of 12" of pow feels the same as 36" but a lot less tiring and potentially dangerous.  /oldman

Your /oldman statement is spot fucking on. 

Just got back from four days in Alaska. Two at Alyeska and two with Chugach Powder Guides. 

Alyeska is a decent ski area but certainly not worth the trip for it alone..:

CPG on the other hand.... Had easily the best ski day of my life (and I’ve probably got 1000 days on skis) and another top 10-15 day.

3 minutes ago, RiceOwl said:

Just got back from four days in Alaska. Two at Alyeska and two with Chugach Powder Guides. 

Alyeska is a decent ski area but certainly not worth the trip for it alone..:

CPG on the other hand.... Had easily the best ski day of my life (and I’ve probably got 1000 days on skis) and another top 10-15 day.

Nice. Any pics ?  Snow cat guides ?

22 hours ago, Loco said:

I went to Ft Lewis College, in Durango, my freshman year, and we had a 50" dump one night. I had a season pass to Purgatory, went up with a buddy of mine. We tied about 100 feet of orange survey tape to each ski, and started hitting the three runs that were open. I ended up up head down and was close to being unconscious before being dug out. Scariest moment in my life. Buddy has been a ski patroller in Telluride for 30 years.

CHIEF

Holy shit. Just had a 4 hour drive from Vail to DIA. Shuttle company accidentally sent van one size too small, so we had to pack some luggage on seats meaning all 10 of us were on top of each other in a 3 row van. Huge traffic jam going into the tunnel. One of the kids f’in pukes. We’ve got no water and like 2 rags. It’s literally an hour until we get to the first exit with a gas station. Murder.

• Like 4