2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

9 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

This, along with shaky starting pitching and missing LMJ, is a recipe for losing. 

It's almost as if reality caught up to a GM that did little for glaring pitching needs since taking over until some mediocre moves at the trade deadline.  To be fair, some of those pitchers have really stepped up in the post-season.  The team has gotten farther than I expected with this pitching roster.  But it is rare for a team to win a title by hitting their way to overcome a mediocre staff.  Bats are going to go cold at times at the top level of a WS.  And Strom can only do so much with what he's given.

I've said all season that Click looked to be building a team that could make the playoffs, not win a title.  He got closer than I expected, but ultimately it still seems true.  The better trade deadline GM looks to be taking home a trophy tonight.

Not over yet.  We'll see.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, clapclapclap said:

The better trade deadline GM looks to be taking home a trophy tonight.

I don't think that's the conclusion I'd draw.  Atlanta got a bunch of jags who have gotten hot at the right times.

Anyway, lots of game left to be giving up over a 3 run deficit.

2 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

really though?

if the roles were reversed, there's not one of us who would say the Braves were running out of outs in a three-run game in the fifth inning.

That’s because we’re Houston. If we were up 3-1 we would think we’re about to blow up and down 3-1 we know it’s over.

1 minute ago, clapclapclap said:

It's almost as if reality caught up to a GM that did little for glaring pitching needs since taking over until some mediocre moves at the trade deadline.  To be fair, some of those pitchers have really stepped up in the post-season.  The team has gotten farther than I expected with this pitching roster.  But it is rare for a team to win a title by hitting their way to overcome a mediocre staff.  And Strom can only do so much.

I've said all season that Click looked to be building a team that could make the playoffs, not win a title.  He got closer than I expected, but ultimately it still seems true.  The better trade deadline GM looks to be taking home a trophy tonight.

The relievers he brought in had shaky starts, but overall have done a great job in the playoffs. He did nothing to improve the starting pitching and that's come back to bite us. 

It's almost as if reality caught up to a GM that did little for glaring pitching needs since taking over until some mediocre moves at the trade deadline.  To be fair, some of those pitchers have really stepped up in the post-season.  The team has gotten farther than I expected with this pitching roster.  But it is rare for a team to win a title by hitting their way to overcome a mediocre staff.  Bats are going to go cold at times at the top level of a WS.  And Strom can only do so much with what he's given.

He could have acquired the top 5 arms on the market and we still would have lost this series with the bats hitting like this.