Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

Shaka's 2021 class was absolutely appalling outside of Bates. All out of state guys who couldn't land offers from high major schools in their home states. Losing Bates really hurts, but I'll gladly take Tyson and roster room for instant impact transfers. 

My best guess is that Shaka had a shift in roster construction philosophy after getting burned with too many 1 and dones, but he corrected way too far in the other direction with this class. He lucked into a balanced roster this year with corona and a cancer diagnosis, but he still has no clue how to actually build a roster on his own. 2021 was absolutely the wrong time to load up on developmental takes when the roster was so senior heavy and he needed impact players heading into the upcoming season. 

21 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Shaka's 2021 class was absolutely appalling outside of Bates. All out of state guys who couldn't land offers from high major schools in their home states. Losing Bates really hurts, but I'll gladly take Tyson and roster room for instant impact transfers. 

My best guess is that Shaka had a shift in roster construction philosophy after getting burned with too many 1 and dones, but he corrected way too far in the other direction with this class. He lucked into a balanced roster this year with corona and a cancer diagnosis, but he still has no clue how to actually build a roster on his own. 2021 was absolutely the wrong time to load up on developmental takes when the roster was so senior heavy and he needed impact players heading into the upcoming season. 

What's funny is those 3 guys followed him to Marquette. I guess for Joplin it made sense, he's a Wisconsin kid, though Wisconsin didn't offer him. Ellis, as well, being from Iowa, though Iowa didn't offer him.

Now I can see why Beard didn't seem to care that those 3 were leaving. None had offers from their in-state versions of UT.

1 hour ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

How do you know that those kids were horrible before they even stepped on campus? 

1 hour ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

What's funny is those 3 guys followed him to Marquette. I guess for Joplin it made sense, he's a Wisconsin kid, though Wisconsin didn't offer him. Ellis, as well, being from Iowa, though Iowa didn't offer him.

Now I can see why Beard didn't seem to care that those 3 were leaving. None had offers from their in-state versions of UT.

This isn’t football, the in-State, out of state thing doesn’t really matter. Schools are only signing 1 to 4 kids each year and all the big programs are recruiting nationally. 

Joplin is pretty good, Beard would’ve happily taken him. A big that can shoot like him has value in any system. The other two were definitely projects though. Shaka has a pretty good track record with athletic bigs, so maybe Itejere turns into something I guess, but he’s all projection and Beard has no reason to follow through with that, especially in the age of the transfer portal.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Wizlon said:

SIAP

FCB seems to think we are going to go after Dylan Disu. As far as I can tell he hasn't announced he is planning on transferring yet.

https://247sports.com/player/dylan-disu-46054535/

Gerry Hamilton started following him on Instagram too. I posted this on the basketball board but it would make sense if he's looking to get closer to home. Disu is from Pflugerville. 

This would also be a very good get. He's a very good rebounder and scorer. He was actually the top rebounder in the SEC before his injury. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Gerry Hamilton started following him on Instagram too. I posted this on the basketball board but it would make sense if he's looking to get closer to home. Disu is from Pflugerville. 

This would also be a very good get. He's a very good rebounder and scorer. 

Really burying the lede here. Disu is also the SEC Basketball's SCHOLAR ATHLETE OF THE YEAR. [insert oxymoron joke here]

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

So you don't have an answer.

You can’t be serious. Coaches offers, recruit rankings, historical performance of top recruits.  Not perfect, but we have pretty good data that has proven to be pretty accurate.  Do I need to go on?

1 minute ago, Irieguy said:

You can’t be serious. Coaches offers, recruit rankings, historical performance of top recruits.  Not perfect, but we have pretty good data that has proven to be pretty accurate.  Do I need to go on?

oh he’s serious. Greggym doesn’t believe anything can actually be known, other than the adults that play for our team are called kids and coaches should always be trusted.

Hell, he still doesn’t know if having Eric Davis guard Marvin Bagley was a mistake by Shaka. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

Did you know that the all time assists per game leader for the San Antonio Spurs for a point guard that played at least 200 hundred games had an offer sheet of Providence College before the Big East and the University of Indiana AT Pennsylvania because his brother went there before we offered him. He would have been a 2 star at best. There are kids that everyone wants that never do much and there are kids under the radar that turn out to be amazing additions to their team. Just let them make it campus before writing them off. If they sit at the end of the bench for their entire career, then everyone was right, If they turn out to be major contributors, good for them.

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

oh he’s serious. Greggym doesn’t believe anything can actually be known, other than the adults that play for our team are called kids and coaches should always be trusted.

Hell, he still doesn’t know if having Eric Davis guard Marvin Bagley was a mistake by Shaka. 

I knew that when I posted, your sorry ass would appear in minutes. I am living rent free in your head but there is plenty of space because there isn't anything in there. That game was how long ago? 3.4.5 years ago? I was asked what I thought about that move. I responded and it turned out it was something else.  But I realize how desperate you are for a moral victory so congrats.  Maybe someone will throw you a parade.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Really burying the lede here. Disu is also the SEC Basketball's SCHOLAR ATHLETE OF THE YEAR. [insert oxymoron joke here]

Well that helps considering Texas has already turned down multiple transfers with D's on their transcripts.

30 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Did you know that the all time assists per game leader for the San Antonio Spurs for a point guard that played at least 200 hundred games had an offer sheet of Providence College before the Big East and the University of Indiana AT Pennsylvania because his brother went there before we offered him. He would have been a 2 star at best. There are kids that everyone wants that never do much and there are kids under the radar that turn out to be amazing additions to their team. Just let them make it campus before writing them off. If they sit at the end of the bench for their entire career, then everyone was right, If they turn out to be major contributors, good for them.

You know where people talking about amazing players who weren't recruited out of HS don't typically belong? In a recruiting forum. Fuck. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I knew that when I posted, your sorry ass would appear in minutes. I am living rent free in your head but there is plenty of space because there isn't anything in there. That game was how long ago? 3.4.5 years ago? I was asked what I thought about that move. I responded and it turned out it was something else.  But I realize how desperate you are for a moral victory so congrats.  Maybe someone will throw you a parade.

Rx7jxPl.gif

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

You know where people talking about amazing players who weren't recruited out of HS don't typically belong? In a recruiting forum. Fuck. 

Exactly. This is a forum where we talk objectively and critically about recruits. Go somewhere else old man if all you want is rah rah bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

Exactly. This is a forum where we talk objectively and critically about recruits. Go somewhere else old man if all you want is rah rah bullshit. 

Thats incredibly weak. I am all for objectivity. There's nothing wrong with that. That was my point. Give the kids a chance to prove if everyone is right or wrong about them. And, I hope that you make it to my age.

4 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Thats incredibly weak. I am all for objectivity. There's nothing wrong with that. That was my point. Give the kids a chance to prove if everyone is right or wrong about them. And, I hope that you make it to my age.

Hey fuckhead, the “give players a chance to prove themselves” conversations take place, wait for it, on the basketball board. This is the recruiting board. You don’t see a Spring Practice thread over here. Take your Trust The Corches Mack Brown Apologist bullshit to the forum it belongs at, dumb fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Hell, why recruit at all? Just open gym and see who shows up and plays well. There’s your team. We’ve been thinking about this all wrong.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Hell, why recruit at all? Just open gym and see who shows up and plays well. There’s your team. We’ve been thinking about this all wrong.

Yes, but please supplement the team with a 34 year old former basketball stud with eligibility remaining. Or else, we are just Sinbad and Michael Bluth with no one to run the team.

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Not to mention he’s peddling TRUST SHAKA SMART!!! bullshit about “kids” our new coach just cut loose so he can recruit other guys instead.  It’s like wires were crossed on which coach he’s supposed to Stan.

Why don’t you trust Chris Beard?  And if Shaka Smart is so wise and these guys were so good, why are they all going to be at Marquette now instead of coaching and playing at Texas?

Where do you come up with this retarded  crap. 

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Hoops: The roster and recruiting

Spoiler

This has already been a successful week for Chris Beard and staff with the roster beginning to take shape. The return of Andrew Jones, and the additions of All-Pac-12 First Team forward Timmy Allen and former top 40 prospect and Kentucky combo guard Devin Askew.

The staff is now awaiting the decisions of Jericho Sims, Matt Coleman and Courtney Ramey with hopes of retaining Sims and one of the two guards.

On the recruiting front, the out of state offers in the 2022 class since Beard was hired has gone from one to three after a pair on Wednesday.

Current roster:
CG Devin Askew, 6-3 (6.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists in 2020-21)

SG Andrew Jones, 6-4 (14.6 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.3 assists in 2020-21)

SG Jase Febres, 6-5 (5.2 points, 1.5 rebounds in 2020-21)

G/W Jaylon Tyson, 6-6

F Brock Cunningham, 6-5 (1.6 points, 3.1 rebounds in 2020-21)

F Timmy Allen, 6-6 (17.2 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21)

Possible to return:
PG Matt Coleman, 6-1 (13.2 points, 3.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists in 2020-21)

CG Courtney Ramey, 6-3 (12.2 points, 3.2 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21)

PF Jericho Sims, 6-10 (9.2 points, 7.2 rebounds in 2020-21)

Not likely to return:
F Greg Brown, 6-9 (9.3 points, 6.2 rebounds in 2020-21)

Key transfers still in play:
CG Jacob Young, 6-2, Rutgers (14.1 points, 1.9 rebounds, 3.2 assists in 2020-21)

PG Jalen Pickett, 6-3, Sienna (12.9 points, 6.3 rebounds, 4.8 assists in 2020-21)

F Jacob Groves, 6-8, Eastern Washington (9.3 points, 4.3 rebounds in 2020-21)

PF Tanner Groves, 6-9, Eastern Washington (17.2 points, 8.0 rebounds in 2020-21)

C David Muoka, 6-10, Lamar (5.4 points, 6.8 rebounds, 3.0 blocks in 2020-21)

New 2022 OOS offers out:
The first prospect Chris Beard and staff offered after being hired was top 40 prospect and 6-11 center Kel’el Ware (North Little Rock).

Wednesday, the staff offered two more out of state prospects in the class in top 20 ranked prospect Kijani Wright (Windward/Los Angeles) and Palmetto State top 50 ranked prospect Jazian Gortman (Keenan High/Columbia, SC).

Texas joins Oregon, USC, Michigan State, Arizona, Kansas, Arkansas, Arizona State, California, Stanford, UCLA and Vanderbilt in offering the 6-foot-9 versatile Wright.

The 6-foot-1 elite quick Gortman has Power 5 offers from Clemson, South Carolina, Ole miss, Maryland and Wake Forest in addition to the Longhorns.

The Texas staff has also spoken with the circle of 6-foot-10 power forward Yohan Traore (currently at Prolific Prep in California), and the Longhorns are extremely interested.

The in-state focus remains on SG Keyonte George (iSchool Academy), PG Arterio Morris (Dallas Kimball), CG Cason Wallace (Richardson High) and CG Bryce Griggs (Hightower High).

Also in the mix from inside the state lines are CG Anthony Black (Coppell High), F Terrance Arceneaux (Beaumont United), PF Zuby Ejiofor (Garland High) and PF Colin Smith (Dallas St. Mark’s).

• Hook 'Em 1

Darius Terrell on basketball recruiting

Spoiler

As I mentioned in last week’s column, Texas Basketball is about to get a major roster makeover in addition to their coaching staff shake-up.

Chris Beard has begun to make his patented transfer portal additions and the Longhorns have already received some additional good news with Andrew Jones and Jase Febres announcing their plans to return for the 2021 season. Forward Jericho Sims remains on the fence about what he wants to do.

While the Longhorns were recruiting many of the same high school prospects in the 2022 class under Shaka Smart, the truth is that Texas has struggled mightily when it comes to landing the top dawgs in the DFW-area over the past half-decade or so. From Terrance Ferguson and Marques Bolden to Marcus Garrett to Tyrese Maxey and Samuel Williamson to Devion Harmon and Cade Cunningham, if there was a top player coming out of Dallas you could count on him not winding up in burnt orange.

The additions of Ulric Maligi (Texas Tech) and Jerrence Howard (Kansas) to the staff as recruiters should pay off in a major way for Texas in what shapes up to be a very strong in-state crop of 2022 prospects. Both guys are beloved on the recruiting trail by prospects and both have tremendous ties to the DFW AAU scene. Let’s take a look at a few names to start familiarizing yourselves with:

Transfers:

Forward Timmy Allen (Utah)

Timmy Allen was one of the top available transfers on the entire market. He’s a do-it-all type of player that has been Utah’s best player over the past two seasons. After earning 2nd Team All-PAC honors as a Sophomore and 1st Team All-PAC honors as a Junior, he decided to enter the transfer portal after the Utes fired Larry Krystkowiak. For his career (85 games), Allen has averaged 15.6 points, 6.3 rebounds, and 3.1 assists per game on nearly 48% shooting and 74% from the free throw line.

At 6’6, Allen operates as a modern-day undersized “4” but doesn’t possess unique length or explosive athleticism, which is why he isn’t considered a 1st Round NBA Draft prospect despite his consistent production. Allen will also be looking to prove that he can consistently knock down outside shots to improve his stock in the eyes of scouts (he’s a career 26% 3-point shooter on barely 1.5 attempts per game). In a lot of ways, he’s the perfect college player. He will likely be the Longhorns’ best player next season and he still has two years of eligibility remaining. Huge, huge pick-up.

CG Devin Askew (Kentucky)

Devin Askew decided to enter the transfer portal after a tumultuous Freshman season in Lexington that saw the Wildcats have their worst record since the 1920s. He played in 25 (20 starts) games last season and averaged 6.5 points, 2.9 assists, 2.6 rebounds, and a steal per game.

Askew was recruited by Shaka Smart out of high school and had Texas as one of the schools he was considering heavily before committing to Kentucky. He struggled mightily offensively in his debut season, shooting 34.5% from the floor and just 27.8% from 3-point range which would have been among the worst on the Texas roster this past season.

It should be noted that Askew was originally a member of the 2021 class before reclassifying to 2020 and joining the Wildcats and John Calipari a year early. He effectively should have still been in high school this past season and is younger than 2021 top prospects such as Chet Holmgren, Jaden Hardy, Michael Foster, and Hunter Sallis. Kentucky fans were especially tough on him last season because they were thinking that he was going to be a John Wall, Brandon Knight, or De’Aaron Fox and that just wasn’t a realistic expectation.

Texas is basically gaining a 5-Star Freshman that got a free crash course on running a major college program under one of the biggest microscopes that the sport can provide. Askew should develop into a multi-year starter during his time at Texas and he actually has a lot of similarities to current Texas Guard Courtney Ramey in my eyes.

High School Prospects:

PG Keyonte George (Lewisville, TX)

Skillset: George is considered the top Point Guard prospect in the entire 2022 class. He is a three-level scorer that has a tremendous feel for the game and a quick, smooth release.

Recruitment Breakdown: George is a possible prep-to-pros prospect, but if he does attend college he is considering Texas, Kansas, Duke, Texas Tech, and Kentucky among others. Maligi is huge here for Texas.

SG Arterio Morris (Dallas, TX)

Skillset: I coached against Morris in middle school and his game has translated as he’s gotten older. At a legitimate 6’3-6’4 with excellent length and explosiveness, he will draw some comparisons to a Russell Westbrook starter kit. Streaky shooter and is a much better fit playing off of the ball unless initiating the Pick & Roll. Morris could be a rare two-way talent if he wants.

Recruitment Breakdown: Morris was once committed to Penny Hardaway and Memphis but backed off of that pledge a while ago. Kansas, UCLA, LSU, Texas, and Baylor are the names right now for Morris. Jerrance Howard will be big here.

WING Rylan Griffen (Richardson, TX)

Skillset: Griffen is a legitimate 6’5 Wing with a smooth midrange game and above-the-rim athleticism. He’s plays hard on both ends of the floor and is a consensus top-50 recruit nationally.

Recruitment Breakdown: It’s early for Griffen, but most of the chatter involves in-state Baylor and Texas Tech prior to Beard and Maligi leaving.

WING Anthony Black (Coppell, TX)

Skillset: At a listed 6’6 with length, Black is one of the smoothest players in the class. He’s a do-it-all type that can score any way that you need him to.

Recruitment Breakdown: Black recently retired from Football where he held double-digit offers. His father played Basketball at Baylor and that is where most people believe he will wind up.

CG Cason Wallace (Richardson, TX)

Skillset: Perhaps no player has seen his stock rise as much over the past year and a half as Wallace has. He’s a Combo Guard that has now developed into a legitimate Point Guard prospect. Wallace is an excellent athlete with an innate feel for the game. Legitimate deep threat.

Recruitment Breakdown: Arizona, Baylor, Auburn, Arkansas, Illinois, Texas, and Texas A&M are the schools on Wallace.

SG Bryce Griggs (Houston, TX)

Skillset: Griggs is instant offense with an isolation game that would make some pros blush. He needs to continue to develop in the halfcourt setting and he’s going to be considered undersized for a Shooting Guard.

Recruitment Breakdown: Think in-state with Griggs. Houston, Baylor, Texas, Texas A&M, and SMU are all heavily involved with the talented scorer.

Forward Jordan Walsh (Dallas, TX)

Skillset: Walsh is a “4” all the way moving forward, although he will likely continue to work on his ballhandling and catch-and-shoot habits in order to appeal to scouts as a potential interchangeable Wing. A willing passer, he plays with tremendous energy and is at his best in transition or as a help side shot-blocker

Recruitment Breakdown: He has a great relationship with Ulric Maligi. TCU, California, Arkansas, and Florida State have been linked to Walsh recently in addition to Texas.