Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So can I get a run down of 21 decommits/requesting release, transfers out, and declaring? 

also those transferring in, committing, and etc?

Summary starts here:

Be careful though, it's 6 whole pages. It might take a semi-literate man 10, maybe 15 whole minutes to read. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Wells on George

Spoiler

CG Keyonte George, iSchool Entrepreneurial (Lewisville, TX) (2022)

The state's top basketball prospect for the Class of 2022 was on full display in Duncanville. Playing for Southern Assault, the five-star .99 composite two-guard dropped 41 points in the Great American Shootout finale on Sunday evening. All while going against fellow five-star Arterio Morris, also a product of the metroplex.

"We had a long high school season, but to come out here and have some fun with my last AAU season is great," George said. "Playing with Southern Assault, you know it's going to be fun. Also, to work on my personal goals; get better overall, become a better leader for my team, and really, just focusing on team goals."

While he's one of the more complete basketball products at the high school level, he still sees opportunity for improvement.

"Really, I've been working on my defense," explained George. "Getting that killer mentality, where not only can I score on you, but I can stop you as well. Working on that each and every day in practice."

The nation's No.1 shooting guard plays at iSchool Entrepreneurial Academy in Lewisville, TX, where he averaged 23 points per game, five boards, three assists, and two steal per contest last season. At 6-foot-4, 185, he holds nine offers including Kansas, Baylor, Arizona, and Texas Tech (on February 16th). As soon as Chris Beard accepted the Texas job, George was one of his first calls.

"I want to find a coach that keeps me accountable, on and off the court," George said. "To know he cares, and treats me good. A winning culture is important. With Texas, it's now the same relationship with me and Ulric (Maligi). He texts me each and every day or we talk. I still know that connection is good. (Beard's staff) coaches hard. They are basketball crazy. They stay up late at night, watching film, so you know they are really serious about it."

George visited Texas before for on-campus camps and watching Big 12 games. He's been recruited by Beard and staff since his sophomore year. Which schools give George the best vibe and connection with the staff?

"I connect with Texas and Texas Tech, and I used to talk to Jerrance (Howard) but he moved to Austin," said George, with a smile. "A lot of the Big 12 reaches out to me."

George doesn't want to put out a top schools list or announce his future commitment date. He'd like to verbally pledge before the beginning of his senior year, probably around August or September. After today's burnt orange wave of recruiting momentum, it's hard to see George changing his mind soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

That guy has some massive hate for Beard. He's just searching for reasons to be critical of Beard. 

Imagine putting yourself out there as a guy who’s knowledgeable about basketball yet finding yourself making every excuse for Shaka imaginable and defending him way past the point of reason yet hating on every aspect of the Beard hire. At some point, wouldn’t you have to take a step back and ask yourself:

CircularAncientEnglishpointer-size_restr

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Imagine putting yourself out there as a guy who’s knowledgeable about basketball yet finding yourself making every excuse for Shaka imaginable and defending him way past the point of reason yet hating on every aspect of the Beard hire. At some point, wouldn’t you have to take a step back and ask yourself:

CircularAncientEnglishpointer-size_restr

Hell, I probably defended Shaka longer than I should have but damn at least give Beard a chance. This debbie downer nonsense every 5 seconds is brutal. 

Oh this is where we pile on BWG? I followed him after his stellar work at BarkingCarnival, and enjoyed reading him, but damn he's been insufferable on Twitter since Shaka got canned. And I can't understand why he won't let it go. There aren't many UT accounts I enjoy following so I'm losing options here. The whole "social" UT Twitter crowd (the ones in the large bracket they just did) are frankly kinda dorks, so I've slowly unfollowed every one and just been tweeting my UT thoughts into the either. Maybe I should get back on this board again. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Oh this is where we pile on BWG? I followed him after his stellar work at BarkingCarnival, and enjoyed reading him, but damn he's been insufferable on Twitter since Shaka got canned. And I can't understand why he won't let it go. There aren't many UT accounts I enjoy following so I'm losing options here. The whole "social" UT Twitter crowd (the ones in the large bracket they just did) are frankly kinda dorks, so I've slowly unfollowed every one and just been tweeting my UT thoughts into the either. Maybe I should get back on this board again. 

Yeah, it’s unfortunate. I enjoyed his writing for BC a lot too and his podcast in the earlier years of Shaka, but him and Preston were both full on Shaka apologists the last few years. Preston especially. He still wouldn’t admit Shaka sucked after the ACU loss. 

And I guess now they’re both seeming like they’ll be Beard haters, so that’s fun. 

43 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

He's done nothing but bitch and moan about the hire while only presenting unrealistic alternatives. The "I told you so" piece for Beard's first loss is already on it's second or third draft. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

He's done nothing but bitch and moan about the hire while only presenting unrealistic alternatives. The "I told you so" piece for Beard's first loss is already on it's second or third draft. 

This is the sad part. BWG was critical of anyone that acted this way in reference to Shaka. 

You can't scream at Texas fans about " not giving Shaka a chance" and then bitch every 5 seconds about Beard when he's been on the job for a week. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We just suffered through 6 years of the most vapid Tony Robbins bullshit quotes imaginable from Shaka, and NOW he decides to parse coachspeak and roll his eyes?  LMAO.  

This guy is more jilted than Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction, and I have no idea why.   

The funny point about BWG is he's been arguing for months that Texas had no chance to hire Beard. 

23 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

Simms, another guard who can bring the ball up court and find the open man, and one more rebounder who can block an occasional shot and this team just might be salty enough to make it to the 2nd weekend of the tourney.

Second week?  Shit, forgot there was a second day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

2021 Decommits - Bates, Joplin(Marquette), Ellis(Marquette)

2021 Commits/Signees - Itejere, Tyson(Tech)

2021 Portal Outgoing - Baker(Nevada), Liddell (Alabama State), Hamm (UNLV), Williams(UNLV), Hepa(???)

2021 Portal Incoming - Askew(Kentucky), Allen(Utah)

2021 Returning - Cunningham, A. Jones, and Febres

2021 NBA - K. Jones

2021 TBD - Brown, Ramey, Coleman, Sims

Bold - played for Texas in 2020.

Italics - currently planning to play for Texas in 2021

Updated with the Allen news.

That puts the scholarship number at 7. Room for 6 more.

Nick at Nite: Texas basketball roster starting to shape up under Chris Beard

Spoiler

It's been a busy day for Chris Beard and the Texas men's basketball program. Let's do a quick recap:

- This morning, Jase Febres announced his intentions to return for his fifth season with the program. After a pre-season injury, Febres played in minimal action for the Longhorns in 13 games where he averaged 5.2 points, 1.5 rebounds and 0.8 assists.

- Reports surfaced that Davenport (Iowa) Assumption four-star combo guard Emarion Ellis would ask out of his National Letter of Intent from Texas and join Shaka Smart at Marquette. Ellis became the third signee to ask out of his NLI after Tamar Bates and David Joplin decided to seek other options.

- Chris Beard landed two transfers in the form of Kentucky guard Devin Askew and Utah power forward Timmy Allen. Askew, who played one year at Kentucky under John Calipari, will provide Beard and Texas with game-changing ability at the point guard position. He is a high IQ player that can score on all three levels with an adept ability to shoot from outside, something Texas hasn't seen on a consistent basis from a one-guard in quite some time. Allen was one of the biggest names in the transfer portal entering today (the No. 3 player, according to 247Sports' Matt Howe) and will provide Texas with some serious presence in the paint next season. In 2020, Allen averaged 17.2 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 1.3 steals per game.

- Andrew Jones announced that he will return for another season in Austin.

As the roster begins to shape up and many spots are left up for grabs, Beard and staff will work to recuperate the roster in a timely fashion to get to work as soon as possible. Let's take a look at some possible additions:

- The Texas staff has expressed interest in the Eastern Washington duo of Tanner Groves and Jacob Groves. The dual-package makes this tricky, but if Texas loses Greg Brown and/or Jericho Sims, this could make sense for the Longhorns down the line.

- Texas remains in the hunt for Chandler (Ariz.) Compass Prep four-star point guard TyTy Washington as the Longhorns look to make another addition to the 2021 class. Washington will bypass National Signing Day on Wednesday and extend his recruitment process. He is set to release a top five on Saturday and if the Longhorns make the cut, they should have ample amount of time to become a serious contender to land the talented guard.

- Three names I'm watching at the guard position are Desi Sills (Arkansas), Jacob Young (Rutgers, originally from Houston) and Jalen Pickett (Siena). If Texas has a need at the guard position, these three could fill a role that will compliment Andrew Jones and Devin Askew.

The roster will continue to develop over the next few weeks as Chris Beard and staff continue to work to build the roster in a timely fashion with a healthy combination of current players and transfers. Expect decisions from current players to trickle in throughout this week as the staff has expressed their desire to move quickly in forming the roster.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Nick at Nite: Texas basketball roster starting to shape up under Chris Beard

Hide contents

It's been a busy day for Chris Beard and the Texas men's basketball program. Let's do a quick recap:

- This morning, Jase Febres announced his intentions to return for his fifth season with the program. After a pre-season injury, Febres played in minimal action for the Longhorns in 13 games where he averaged 5.2 points, 1.5 rebounds and 0.8 assists.

- Reports surfaced that Davenport (Iowa) Assumption four-star combo guard Emarion Ellis would ask out of his National Letter of Intent from Texas and join Shaka Smart at Marquette. Ellis became the third signee to ask out of his NLI after Tamar Bates and David Joplin decided to seek other options.

- Chris Beard landed two transfers in the form of Kentucky guard Devin Askew and Utah power forward Timmy Allen. Askew, who played one year at Kentucky under John Calipari, will provide Beard and Texas with game-changing ability at the point guard position. He is a high IQ player that can score on all three levels with an adept ability to shoot from outside, something Texas hasn't seen on a consistent basis from a one-guard in quite some time. Allen was one of the biggest names in the transfer portal entering today (the No. 3 player, according to 247Sports' Matt Howe) and will provide Texas with some serious presence in the paint next season. In 2020, Allen averaged 17.2 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 1.3 steals per game.

- Andrew Jones announced that he will return for another season in Austin.

As the roster begins to shape up and many spots are left up for grabs, Beard and staff will work to recuperate the roster in a timely fashion to get to work as soon as possible. Let's take a look at some possible additions:

- The Texas staff has expressed interest in the Eastern Washington duo of Tanner Groves and Jacob Groves. The dual-package makes this tricky, but if Texas loses Greg Brown and/or Jericho Sims, this could make sense for the Longhorns down the line.

- Texas remains in the hunt for Chandler (Ariz.) Compass Prep four-star point guard TyTy Washington as the Longhorns look to make another addition to the 2021 class. Washington will bypass National Signing Day on Wednesday and extend his recruitment process. He is set to release a top five on Saturday and if the Longhorns make the cut, they should have ample amount of time to become a serious contender to land the talented guard.

- Three names I'm watching at the guard position are Desi Sills (Arkansas), Jacob Young (Rutgers, originally from Houston) and Jalen Pickett (Siena). If Texas has a need at the guard position, these three could fill a role that will compliment Andrew Jones and Devin Askew.

The roster will continue to develop over the next few weeks as Chris Beard and staff continue to work to build the roster in a timely fashion with a healthy combination of current players and transfers. Expect decisions from current players to trickle in throughout this week as the staff has expressed their desire to move quickly in forming the roster.

Has a player ever come back to his original school? Granted coaching change but would seem strange no?

7 hours ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Has a player ever come back to his original school? Granted coaching change but would seem strange no?

It’s happened at least twice in the last two weeks alone.

Elijah Olaniyi was originally at Stony Brook, transferred and played at Miami this past season and is now going back to Stony Brook.

https://www.sbstatesman.com/2021/04/04/elijah-olaniyi-announces-return-to-stony-brook-after-one-season-with-miami/

And Jason Carter was originally at Ohio, transferred and played at Xavier, and is now going back to Ohio.

https://www.thepostathens.com/article/2021/04/ohio-bobcats-jason-carter-announces-hes-returning-back-to-ohio

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

What is there to like about that dude? He's a fucking clown. He defended Shaka Smart for years past the point in which Smart was defensible. When challenged, his common refrain was the tried and true go-to of "for those of us that understand the sport, it's clear you're wrong and he's doing as well as anyone could here." 

Now all he's doing is posting passive aggressive shit about why Beard won't get it done at Texas. He should go blog for Marquette and massage Smart's choad for him each time he shits himself in public while nice-guying all over the basketball court. Those two losers deserve each other.

also, he looks like a mix between Ben Shapiro and Ethan from h3h3. i'd rather read either one of their opinions on Texas hoops than anything bwg has to say on the subject. 

I would challenge bitter white gut to a basketball X’s and O’s Debate and after destroying him because he doesn’t know basketball the he will really be sorry! I was trying to think of what would happen at the end of the debate and couldn’t come up with anything so I just went with him being really sorry he every debated me! Anyways fuck bitter shot gut up his nerdy ass and I don’t know who Preston is but he’s an even bigger pussy than the other guy.

(Gerry Hamilton) Beard building the Texas roster

Spoiler

Chris Beard and staff continue to build out the Texas Longhorns’ 2021-22 roster.

With the news Tuesday that Andrew Jones will return for one more season, and the commitments of Kentucky transfer combo guard Devin Askew and Utah transfer forward Timmy Allen; Texas fans are beginning to see a roster come together.

Jones, Askew and Allen join forward Brock Cunningham, shooting guard Jase Febres and 2021 top 50 prospect Jaylon Tyson.

The six players currently locked in for the 2021-22 season will provide the Longhorns with size and experience in the back court, plenty of three-point shooting ability in Jones, Febres and Tyson, and one of college basketball’s top combo forwards.

Current roster:
-CG Devin Askew, 6-3 (6.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists in 2020-21)
-SG Andrew Jones, 6-4 (14.6 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.3 assists in 2020-21)
-SG Jase Febres, 6-5 (5.2 points, 1.5 rebounds in 2020-21)
-G/W Jaylon Tyson, 6-6
-F Brock Cunningham, 6-5 (1.6 points, 3.1 rebounds in 2020-21)
-F Timmy Allen, 6-6 (17.2 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21)

Possible to return:
-PG Matt Coleman, 6-1 (13.2 points, 3.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists in 2020-21)
-CG Courtney Ramey, 6-3 (12.2 points, 3.2 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21)
-PF Jericho Sims, 6-10 (9.2 points, 7.2 rebounds in 2020-21)

Not likely to return:
-F Greg Brown, 6-9 (9.3 points, 6.2 rebounds in 2020-21)

Key transfers still in play:
-CG Jacob Young, 6-2, Rutgers (14.1 points, 1.9 rebounds, 3.2 assists in 2020-21)
-F Jacob Groves, 6-8, Eastern Washington (9.3 points, 4.3 rebounds in 2020-21)
-PF Tanner Groves, 6-9, Eastern Washington (17.2 points, 8.0 rebounds in 2020-21)
-C David Muoka, 6-10, Lamar (5.4 points, 6.8 rebounds, 3.0 blocks in 2020-21)

Top target in 2021 class:
-PG TyTy Washington (Compass Prep, AZ), 6-3
Washington is slated to release a top 5 this weekend, and the belief is UCLA, Kansas and Texas will be three of the five. The former Creighton verbal has also been offered by Kentucky and Baylor in the last 48 hours.

18 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

2021 Decommits - Bates, Joplin(Marquette), Ellis(Marquette), Itejere(Marquette)

2021 Commits/Signees - Tyson(Tech)

2021 Portal Outgoing - Baker(Nevada), Liddell (Alabama State), Hamm (UNLV), Williams(UNLV), Hepa(???)

2021 Portal Incoming - Askew(Kentucky)

2021 Returning - Cunningham, A. Jones, and Febres

2021 NBA - K. Jones

2021 TBD - Brown, Ramey, Coleman, Sims

Bold - played for Texas in 2020.

Italics - currently planning to play for Texas in 2021

Updated with the Itejere news. Down to 6 scholarships for 2021 with room for 7 more.

3 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

It’s happened at least twice in the last two weeks alone.

Elijah Olaniyi was originally at Stony Brook, transferred and played at Miami this past season and is now going back to Stony Brook.

https://www.sbstatesman.com/2021/04/04/elijah-olaniyi-announces-return-to-stony-brook-after-one-season-with-miami/

And Jason Carter was originally at Ohio, transferred and played at Xavier, and is now going back to Ohio.

https://www.thepostathens.com/article/2021/04/ohio-bobcats-jason-carter-announces-hes-returning-back-to-ohio

Thanks I had never seen this before

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

-F Jacob Groves, 6-8, Eastern Washington (9.3 points, 4.3 rebounds in 2020-21)
-PF Tanner Groves, 6-9, Eastern Washington (17.2 points, 8.0 rebounds in 2020-21)
-C David Muoka, 6-10, Lamar (5.4 points, 6.8 rebounds, 3.0 blocks in 2020-21)

Muoka appears likely to head to UNLV and the Groves' are a package deal. If Sims moves on, that probably means they'll push for the Groves brothers. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Muoka appears likely to head to UNLV and the Groves' are a package deal. If Sims moves on, that probably means they'll push for the Groves brothers. 

I'd love for Sims to come back, but honestly, he should probably leave. An extra year has a much better chance of lowering his stock than raising it. Once you reach a certain age, your draft stock only goes down. He has a shot at being a 2nd round pick this year.

• Like 1

Gerry

Spoiler

Was told this AM after posting that TyTy Washington won't be happening due to players coming back at Texas.

That was Texas' plan ... hope to get back two of the three starting guards, add a transfer with experience and set the tables for 2022 recruiting.

• Hook 'Em 2