Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

Someone mentioned in the Bishop thread that Coleman and Ramey were more than likely a no go. 

The less Shaka stink left hanging over the program, the much better it is. Even if Beard had to reboot the program from scratch, at least it would be his recruited players.

Regarding the Groves brothers, I like their offensive skills, but I wonder if they’d get exposed athletically on defensive and on the glass in the Big XII 

The good news is they wouldn’t need to be “the man” here with all the talent on the roster so far... they’d be role players and would just need to be consistent and sound ... that said Simms and/another paint presence would be ideal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

All I know is that I will probably watch every game next year and dvr the ones I can’t watch live.  I watched one game this year, the ACU loss.  Up until 2010 or so Texas basketball was appointment tv for me.  

It will be truly nice to actually look forward to watching Texas basketball again. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

39 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

All I know is that I will probably watch every game next year and dvr the ones I can’t watch live.  I watched one game this year, the ACU loss.  Up until 2010 or so Texas basketball was appointment tv for me.  

I tried to give each new team a fresh chance to convince they were worth watching / investing time in. Generally by the first games of conference play it was always clear just more of the same Shaka-ball bullshit. Best immediate change with Beard is even if our team looks like ass early on I can reasonably expect them to actually improve as the season goes on. 

edit: on a side note I have no clue if the GroBros would ultimately be a great fit with Beard's scheme but considering how damned fun they were to watch in the tournament against KU I still hope we find out. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Would he come to Texas to back up Sims if Sims does return? Man, the way Beard is using the portal is just like the free agency in pro leagues. It's like we are bringing in bunch of mercenaries with sole purpose of winning now. Fuck rebuilding. It's like bringing back Steve Jobs to right the ship at Apple and he knows exactly what to do.

1 hour ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Would he come to Texas to back up Sims if Sims does return? Man, the way Beard is using the portal is just like the free agency in pro leagues. It's like we are bringing in bunch of mercenaries with sole purpose of winning now. Fuck rebuilding. It's like bringing back Steve Jobs to right the ship at Apple and he knows exactly what to do.

I mean... he's doing his job. 

I'm as excited as anyone else to have a good coach back in ATX, but he's not reinventing the wheel here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This time it just feels different. Both with Sark and Beard, it feels like they are given unlimited resources to go build the best programs in the country. Both Tom and Shaka were very limited in their thinking and how they approached their jobs. Not these two guys. You have to think CDC played a role in this.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Of course. CDC hired them. That was his role.

I get that. My point was that these new hires were given a plan it seems unlike the previous hires who were left to their own devices and given that they came from smaller programs and limited resources they just couldn't think big. Now look at the assistant hires and the players we are getting from the transfer portal. Night and day.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I get that. My point was that these new hires were given a plan it seems unlike the previous hires who were left to their own devices and given that they came from smaller programs and limited resources they just couldn't think big. Now look at the assistant hires and the players we are getting from the transfer portal. Night and day.

If CDC has to give a newly hired coach advice on which assistants to hire or recruits to pluck from the portal, then he picked the wrong coach.

What makes Beard such a home run is he's already figured those things out for himself.

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

If CDC has to give a newly hired coach advice on which assistants to hire or recruits to pluck from the portal, then he picked the wrong coach.

What makes Beard such a home run is he's already figured those things out for himself.

You see the same approach by Sark. Some ADs let the coach hire whoever they want and I think Perrin was like that.  Tom brought in a very weak staff with him. So did Shaka. A smarter approach is what CDC is doing, which is to make sure the head coaches bring in the best assistants. The head coach can't do it by themselves no matter how good they are. 

Beard knew just what he’d do if he ever was offered this job. He was ready for it.  The plan is as detailed as any you’ll see. 

I mentioned before he was hired he was placing assistants, coaching business is a fraternity....take a look at the connections between Beard’s Texas staff, the new head coaches at UTEP, Abilene Christian, Texas A&M CC. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

This time it just feels different. Both with Sark and Beard, it feels like they are given unlimited resources to go build the best programs in the country. Both Tom and Shaka were very limited in their thinking and how they approached their jobs. Not these two guys. You have to think CDC played a role in this.

“Administrations win championships.”

- Turtle Tom the prophet 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Nope said:

“Administrations win championships.”

- Turtle Tom the prophet 

Haha. That moron did say that but he was too arrogant to take advantage of it. Perhaps Mike Perrin didn't hammer it home that he had to hire the best assistants from around the country and Texas would open its wallet as necessary. Without the best supporting cast, you can't win it all in this era of college athletics. Even Ogre was able to win it all when he surrounded himself with elite assistants.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Perhaps Mike Perrin didn't hammer it home that he had to hire the best assistants from around the country and Texas would open its wallet as necessary.

I don’t intend to defend Herman, but perhaps Perrin wasn’t given the budget CDC finds himself with and acted more in a substitute manner. 

43 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

I don’t intend to defend Herman, but perhaps Perrin wasn’t given the budget CDC finds himself with and acted more in a substitute manner. 

That was part of it for sure. Fenves didn't appreciate how important athletics was to our school until his final years here IMO. Wasn't he on record saying he was not a football fan? Now it seems like everyone on the administration gets it.

19 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Once Williams entered the portal I thought Groves was a long shot. I think Texas wants Williams to pair with Sims (hopefully). 

Now just land Williams. 

I hope we don’t get fucked somehow 

54 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

I don’t see Tanner Groves making much more of an impact than Manek. He got a good matchup with Kansas in the tourney and McCormack was uncomfortable guarding him on the perimeter. Not sad we missed, hope I’m not wrong.

I like this take. Not to mention, I’m not so sure someone like Tanner Groves fits Beard’s style so much in that Groves sacrifices on the defensive end.

• Fuck You 1

IT

Spoiler

HOOPS

The Texas staff feels good about where things are headed in terms of building a roster for the 2021-2022 season.

While filling out the remainder of the roster is paramount, there isn’t as much pressure now with the seven currently in the boat. Those seven bring 295 high major starts and over 440 games of college experience.

This week, the staff will dive into 2022 recruiting a bit more with plans to have visitors in June.

On Saturday, the Longhorns extended an offer to one of the top risers in-state in the 2022 class.

Beaumont United state title game hero Terrance Arceneaux was excited about the offer from the Longhorns, to say the least.

“I definitely love that one. That offer hit home growing up being a Texas fan,” said Arceneaux.

Chris Beard extended the offer to the 6-foot-6 forward, with a specific goal in mind first.

“Coach Beard offered me,” Arceneaux said. “He was talking more about building a relationship outside of basketball.”

Arceneaux, who trains with former Longhorn great B.J. Tyler, also picked up an offer from the national champion Baylor Bears on Friday.

“Man, I’m glad I got that offer,” Arceneaux said. “I was looking forward to that offer for a while now. Coach Drew told me to keep working. He told me he believes I can be a great, great player.”

Arceneaux plans to make visits in June when the dead period is lifted. Houston, Texas, and Baylor are on that list. The Cougars have the longest standing relationship with Arceneaux.

#####

As IT has reported, the in-state class in basketball in 2022 is every bit as talented as the 2022 football class.

IT takes a look at the chances of winning out for the top five targets in the state, with the offer list expected to expand and top targets changing in the coming weeks.

SG Keyonte George (iSchool Academy):

George and Texas are stronger than ever with Chris Beard now in charge of the program.

Texas' chances of landing George: 75%

PG Arterio Morris (Dallas Kimball):

The odds for Texas to win out for the 6-foot-3 point guard went up substantially with the hire of Chris Beard. This recruitment potentially has more twists and turns than George … as of today.

Texas' chances of landing Morris: 50%

PG/CG Bryce Griggs (Hightower):

Houston is all in on the 6-foot-2 scoring point guard with NBA range. The new Texas staff is working this recruitment hard, and would not likely slow down Griggs if he wanted to commit.

Texas' chances of landing Griggs: 45%

CG Cason Wallace (Richardson):

The Longhorns covet the 6-foot-3 combo guard who plays both ends of the floor. While Texas would love to have Wallace in the class, Arkansas and Baylor are currently in better position due to style of play.

Texas' chances of landing Wallace: 20%

Terrance Arceneaux (Beaumont United):

Arceneaux grew up a Texas fan. He trains with B.J. Tyler. With that being said, Houston has been in a good position for a few months, and now Baylor is targeting the 6-foot-6 forward.

Texas chances of landing Arceneaux: 50%

• Hook 'Em 1

Wells

Spoiler

CG Arterio Morris, Dallas Kimball (2022)

The four-star guard is one of the state's best overall prospects and it's easy to see why. His skills are evident; his ball-handling is elite, his athleticism is next level, and his control of the ball and the game are unmatched. He can also score when he wants to, and Chris Beard and staff hold him in the highest esteem.

Morris and the Kimball Knights lost in the state championship, and it's still on the 6-foot-3, 190-pound guard's mind.

"It was big," said Morris, the Dallas Morning News Player of the Year. "Last year, we got to the third round. But this year, going in, we were able to focus and make it to state."

Morris has a complete game, but that doesn't stop him from working.

"I'd like to develop a better defensive mindset," Morris said. "And my pull-up game. I can get those down and everything will take off from there."

The former Memphis pledge de-committed from Penny Hardaway's Tigers in January, and has his eyes on a few schools. He holds 11 offers including Kansas, Oregon, Arkansas, and Memphis.

"I want to go to a college that really wants me," said Morris. "Not just for my skills, but everything else. Texas, Kansas, UCLA, and LSU reach out the most. Alabama too."

UT is the first school he mentions often in this interview. Beard's staff has a clear message for Morris.

"Just keep being me," Morris said, with a big smile. "Nobody can't stop that but myself. My relationship goes back with those guys. They send me film, and I have to watch and give feedback to the staff. The relationship is tight. It's strong with Texas. (New UT assistant) Jerrance (Howard) was texting me a lot at KU. Like a big brother type bond. He's a great coach that really breaks down my game. My connection with him is very strong."

As for a timeline, it appears Morris might wait until his senior campaign. But for now, he really just wants to get Kimball back to the state championship.

"I might release a top 5 soon, and looking to commit during my senior year."

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Pittsburgh and Philly public schools feed into there my friend

Heh could've fooled me bro. When I took a college visit I was one of the only minorities I saw all day. My Philly suburb school which was fairly diverse only sent like 3 minorities out of around 20 people.

Edited by Bevo14