DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

13 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

You’re very adept at ad hominem attacks, I’ll grant you that much. 

It's a difficult subject-- which is the case for much of political discussions-- that some people simply can't engage with objectivity.

1 hour ago, Chrispy said:

I failed in explaining my position if you believe I advocated for inhumane treatment, I certainly find that behavior appalling. I’m arguing for deportation and it’s a perfectly reasonable stance. 

Your second paragraph is peddling selective law enforcement, that’s a position I find completely insane. 

I have no issue with deportation so long as it is done humanely and after due process of law.

As to your second point,  my personal stance is that legal immigration should be easier and more open, but I'm not opposed to enforcing existing law. What I am opposed to is spending a disproportionate amount of resources to enforce a law, especially in a matter like illegal immigration where there is actually a net beneficial effect. It isn't about selective enforcement, but efficient allocation of resources. Other examples of laws that don't need their own federal enforcement agencies and that we don't need to spend billions upon billions of public money enforcing:

(1) loitering laws;

(2) parking violations; and

(3) underage drinking/smoking;

Those are just some examples. I am not saying we don't enforce them when identified, I'm just saying we don't need to spend billions identifying every single violation. I would assume that most would agree with me. And these are just examples, there are many such laws that while violations are plentiful, it wouldn't make sense to attempt to identify, pursue, investigate, and prosecute every single instance.

11 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

It's a difficult subject-- which is the case for much of political discussions-- that some people simply can't engage with objectivity.

I have no issue with passion, but this particular individual has zero interest in an actual discussion. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I have no issue with deportation so long as it is done humanely and after due process of law.

As to your second point,  my personal stance is that legal immigration should be easier and more open, but I'm not opposed to enforcing existing law. What I am opposed to is spending a disproportionate amount of resources to enforce a law, especially in a matter like illegal immigration where there is actually a net beneficial effect. It isn't about selective enforcement, but efficient allocation of resources. Other examples of laws that don't need their own federal enforcement agencies and that we don't need to spend billions upon billions of public money enforcing:

(1) loitering laws;

(2) parking violations; and

(3) underage drinking/smoking;

Those are just some examples. I am not saying we don't enforce them when identified, I'm just saying we don't need to spend billions identifying every single violation. I would assume that most would agree with me. And these are just examples, there are many such laws that while violations are plentiful, it wouldn't make sense to attempt to identify, pursue, investigate, and prosecute every single instance.

Well thought out and reasoned response, much appreciated. I completely understand the desire for immigration accessibility, but vetting takes time and our system is overwhelmed to the point that it may not be feasible. I’ve said on this thread that the Republicans may have to cut their losses and realize that a form of amnesty is the only realistic approach. 

It sounds like you’re arguing for more precision and less waste at the federal level, I think that’s a worthwhile endeavor. I do think, however, think that you may be downplaying the role of I.C.E., especially if you’re comparing what they encounter to loitering. You’re not just dealing with illegal crossings, it can get very complicated when it involves drugs or human trafficking. One has to be properly trained to handle such sensitive matters. Then comes the burden of logistics, from where would you divert resources? Dissolving I.C.E would hinder the aforementioned goals of less waste in my estimation. 

2 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I mean, I'm not wrong. And this isn't equivalent to infestation-gate, this is simply a matter of fact declaration using a word that means something. Google invasion, this is what we did to the Natives in America and it's what any culture of illegal immigrants do to a sovereign nation with immigration laws of record. I am not necessarily saying that invasion is bad; an invasion of beautiful women and an invasion of those who give money away or whatever would be awesome of course, but realistically even an invasion of low-skill/low-value workers is valuable to us within reason. 

Already happened.  They are mowing our lawns, raising our kids, cleaning our pools, and banging our wives (or at least the guy's wife about four doors down the street from me).

This is for its own thread, but I've actually never understood the reasoning behind having a nanny who speaks hardly any English.   I get being cheap, but you're saving a few bucks and putting your kid into jeopardy if something happens.  And trust me, I see these nannies all the time consumed by their cell phones, same as a lot of the parents.  Too many of them ain't paying attention.

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Already happened.  They are mowing our lawns, raising our kids, cleaning our pools, and banging our wives (or at least the guy's wife about four doors down the street from me).

This is for its own thread, but I've actually never understood the reasoning behind having a nanny who speaks hardly any English.   I get being cheap, but you're saving a few bucks and putting your kid into jeopardy if something happens.  And trust me, I see these nannies all the time consumed by their cell phones, same as a lot of the parents.  Too many of them ain't paying attention.

Kids are overcoddled anyway.  Let them be.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/us-is-denying-passports-to-americans-along-the-border-throwing-their-citizenship-into-question/2018/08/29/1d630e84-a0da-11e8-a3dd-2a1991f075d5_story.html?utm_term=.01dc352374b9

His official American birth certificate shows he was delivered by a midwife in Brownsville, at the southern tip of Texas. He spent his life wearing American uniforms: three years as a private in the Army, then as a cadet in the Border Patrol and now as a state prison guard.

But when Juan, 40, applied to renew his U.S. passport this year, the government’s response floored him. In a letter, the State Department said it didn’t believe he was an American citizen.

As he would later learn, Juan is one of a growing number of people whose official birth records show they were born in the United States but who are now being denied passports — their citizenship suddenly thrown into question. The Trump administration is accusing hundreds, and possibly thousands, of Hispanics along the border of using fraudulent birth certificates since they were babies, and it is undertaking a widespread crackdown on their citizenship.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/us-is-denying-passports-to-americans-along-the-border-throwing-their-citizenship-into-question/2018/08/29/1d630e84-a0da-11e8-a3dd-2a1991f075d5_story.html?utm_term=.01dc352374b9

His official American birth certificate shows he was delivered by a midwife in Brownsville, at the southern tip of Texas. He spent his life wearing American uniforms: three years as a private in the Army, then as a cadet in the Border Patrol and now as a state prison guard.

But when Juan, 40, applied to renew his U.S. passport this year, the government’s response floored him. In a letter, the State Department said it didn’t believe he was an American citizen.

As he would later learn, Juan is one of a growing number of people whose official birth records show they were born in the United States but who are now being denied passports — their citizenship suddenly thrown into question. The Trump administration is accusing hundreds, and possibly thousands, of Hispanics along the border of using fraudulent birth certificates since they were babies, and it is undertaking a widespread crackdown on their citizenship.

come on guys, they only have a problem with ILLEGAL immigration. not that they have anything against legal immigrants or brown citizens

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, El Tri said:

come on guys, they only have a problem with ILLEGAL immigration. not that they have anything against legal immigrants or brown citizens

Remember, it has NOTHING to do with brown skin or hispanic last names, and why do you guys always say that the GOP is racist?  That's like, reverse racism, and YOU'RE the racist!

If any of y'all wonder why I personally opposed the buttfuckery of "papers please" laws and random buzzcut cop being allowed to detain me until I prove to HIM that I'm an American citizen -- while I'm going about my damned business driving to the store, visiting the Grand Canyon, or whatnot -- THIS IS FUCKING WHY.

I must be missing the story where our government is doing this to white folks named Walters or Jones born in Oklahoma.

Bottom line, if we look or sound or have been born close to the border, and thus are a touch too Mexican-y for their taste, our Trumpkin government is gonna cast us into limbo and make us prove up what we've had our whole lives -- US Citizenship.

Part of me PRAYS that the government is dumb enough to pull a stupid-ass stunt with me or one of my family members.  The entire process will be perfectly documented and presented bundled up and ready to play to every network and newspaper in the country.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

This is fucking bullshit. How in the fuck is this happening? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Captainant said:

This is some bright line gestapo tactics shit. This is fucking insane. Can't wait to hear from my inlaws this weekend about how this is perfectly normal.

They'll tell you its normal because Sean Hannity is going to tell them that the Obama administration did the same thing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Foosters said:

They'll tell you its normal because Sean Hannity is going to tell them that the Obama administration did the same thing.

And it did...till the ACLU correctly curtailed the shit out of it.

It's why I've been against this papers please bullshit for YEARS -- people who look like me/have my kinda name need to worry about the gestapo nabbing us, revoking our passports, etc.

You know, if you aren't doing anything wrong.....it doesn't fucking matter, because you have a mexican-y name.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

This is some bright line gestapo tactics shit. This is fucking insane. Can't wait to hear from my inlaws this weekend about how this is perfectly normal.

It's basically at the point where they have to admit this is only happening because they're brown, you cannot choose to defend this any other way.

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

See, the United States government is headed by a racist named Donald Trump who won, in part, on a racist platform that openly demonized non-white Hispanics. 

This story is the result of having a bigot in the White House.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lemonlime said:

Weird, I'd like to see Chrispy's white bread dipshit suburban opinion on this. Actually, just don't. 

Well, at least this story helped me learn more about my family history. Turns out my old man (born in a Texas border town, where his family had been for 100 years) was born at home...with a midwife. So, he’s “suspect” according to this admin.

Seriously, my folks are going to avoid crossing the bridge to have lunch with family on the Mexican side, because my dad is 80+, and he wouldn’t do too well in detention.

Ain’t that a peach? American citizen. Veteran. And has reason to fear his own government. “It can’t happen here” is...happening here.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, at least this story helped me learn more about my family history. Turns out my old man (born in a Texas border town, where his family had been for 100 years) was born at home...with a midwife. So, he’s “suspect” according to this admin.

Seriously, my folks are going to avoid crossing the bridge to have lunch with family on the Mexican side, because my dad is 80+, and he wouldn’t do too well in detention.

Ain’t that a peach? American citizen. Veteran. And has reason to fear his own government. “It can’t happen here” is...happening here.

"But how have you, personally, been harmed by this president?" they keep asking.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Like you, I don't understand how this is happening. Not philosophically speaking or ethically speaking, but just practically and logistically.

Is there a decree from the crown White House: "Royally decreed: Everyone who was "born" outside of a hospital with EHR records within 15 miles of the border needs to be rounded up and they need to orally defend their dissertation that they are an American citizen and pay their own expenses"?

This is absurd. And even if a % of them are illegal, there should be some sort of statute of limitations to people like Brisket's 80 year old dad (who is a citizen anyways, I'm not saying he's not, but if there are olds who have got-along-to-get-along for 75 years).

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They're also trying to scare him and others away from voting.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1 -- that ain't working.

2 -- they've turned a LIFELONG GOP voter (my old man) into a solid vote for the Dems.

I'm glad it's not working on him, but no doubt some others will be fearful of voting lest their citizenship be challenged.

3 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I'm glad it's not working on him, but no doubt some others will be fearful of voting lest their citizenship be challenged.

No doubt.

But seriously, just this fear -- no more traveling internationally, because there's a chance YOUR OWN COUNTRY WON'T LET YOU BACK IN -- that's beyond fucked up.

Y'all who asked "why the rhetoric about gestapo tactics?  That just costs you credibility!" can go fuck yourselves in the corner with a rusty spoon.  My citizen, veteran father is JUSTIFIABLY concerned about -- and will not -- go outside of the US, lest he not be allowed re-entry.

Fuck all of y'all.  I hope some shit like this ACTUALLY HAPPENS to your family members somehow -- maybe not this, but some other gestapo bullshittery.  It seems that's what it's going to take for a bunch of y'all to grasp that this is pure, un-American evil.  So be it.

Edited by Brisketexan

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No doubt.

But seriously, just this fear -- no more traveling internationally, because there's a chance YOUR OWN COUNTRY WON'T LET YOU BACK IN -- that's beyond fucked up.

Y'all who asked "why the rhetoric about gestapo tactics?  That just costs you credibility!" can go fuck yourselves in the corner with a rusty spoon.  My citizen, veteran father is JUSTIFIABLY concerned about -- and will not -- go outside of the US, lest he not be allowed re-entry.

Fuck all of y'all.  I hope some shit like this ACTUALLY HAPPENS to your family members somehow -- maybe not this, but some other gestapo bullshittery.  It seems that's what it's going to take for a bunch of y'all to grasp that this is pure, un-American evil.  So be it.

Absolutely.  The entire thing is a disgrace.   

20 hours ago, lemonlime said:

How would one prove their documents are legit, if the legit documents are claimed as fake..?

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

Fuck anyone who says we've been hysterically overreacting about the motives of this administration when it comes to immigration.

Papieren bitte.

It's not even immigration with this---they're going after brown people who were born in the U.S.  Not immigrants.  And they don't give a flying fuck about immigrants from, say, Poland or Canada.   They don't care about immigration.  They just want to demonize brown people, and then try to justify it by pretending they are deeply concerned by illegal immigration.

On 8/28/2018 at 2:41 PM, Chrispy said:

Well thought out and reasoned response, much appreciated. I completely understand the desire for immigration accessibility, but vetting takes time and our system is overwhelmed to the point that it may not be feasible. I’ve said on this thread that the Republicans may have to cut their losses and realize that a form of amnesty is the only realistic approach. 

It sounds like you’re arguing for more precision and less waste at the federal level, I think that’s a worthwhile endeavor. I do think, however, think that you may be downplaying the role of I.C.E., especially if you’re comparing what they encounter to loitering. You’re not just dealing with illegal crossings, it can get very complicated when it involves drugs or human trafficking. One has to be properly trained to handle such sensitive matters. Then comes the burden of logistics, from where would you divert resources? Dissolving I.C.E would hinder the aforementioned goals of less waste in my estimation. 

All domestic federal law enforcement should be administered by the FBI under the DOJ.  This includes ICE and the TSA.  The INS performed ICE's tasks capably while having DOJ oversight to better protect the rights of the people.  We did the worst thing we could do in creating a brand new law enforcement agency under a department that primarily exists in order to use security as an excuse to quickly bypass due process and basic human rights.

12 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

All domestic federal law enforcement should be administered by the FBI under the DOJ.  This includes ICE and the TSA.  The INS performed ICE's tasks capably while having DOJ oversight to better protect the rights of the people.  We did the worst thing we could do in creating a brand new law enforcement agency under a department that primarily exists in order to use security as an excuse to quickly bypass due process and basic human rights.

Only a third of the I.C.E budget goes to immigration enforcement, much of what they do is investigative work regarding child exploitation, military arms proliferation, human trafficking, etc. You’ll likely see the rallying cry to abolish I.C.E continue to wane, as most realize it’s a foolish endeavor. 

7 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Only a third of the I.C.E budget goes to immigration enforcement, much of what they do is investigative work regarding child exploitation, military arms proliferation, human trafficking, etc. You’ll likely see the rallying cry to abolish I.C.E continue to wane, as most realize it’s a foolish endeavor. 

So before I.C.E. there was no agency tasked to enforce those things?

4 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Wrong again.  You have it backwards.  ERO, Enforcement and Removal Operations has a 4.8 billion dollar budget.  HSI, Homeland Security Investigations has a 2 billion dollar budget.  Furthermore, even most of HSI's budget is spent on domestic operations.  Once again, if you are a federal agent that has the authority to detain or arrest someone on US soil, you should absolutely be under the DOJ.

24 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Wrong again.  You have it backwards.  ERO, Enforcement and Removal Operations has a 4.8 billion dollar budget.  HSI, Homeland Security Investigations has a 2 billion dollar budget.  Furthermore, even most of HSI's budget is spent on domestic operations.  Once again, if you are a federal agent that has the authority to detain or arrest someone on US soil, you should absolutely be under the DOJ.

I read an article in which Sarah Saldana, the previous I.C.E director, maintains that it’s only a third of the budget. Either way, scrapping HSI to punish the ERO is nonsensical and most have backed off that stance. I’m not sure why they would need to be under the DOJ, they’ve signed MOU’s to increase communication and information sharing between the agencies. 

6 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

I read an article in which Sarah Saldana, the previous I.C.E director, maintains that it’s only a third of the budget. Either way, scrapping HSI to punish the ERO is nonsensical and most have backed off that stance. I’m not sure why they would need to be under the DOJ, they’ve signed MOU’s to increase communication and information sharing between the agencies. 

It isn't about communication between the agencies although it is a massive waste to have several agencies with the same mission.  Its about due process and basic rights for those detained.  That is why it needs to be under the DOJ. 

13 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

It isn't about communication between the agencies although it is a massive waste to have several agencies with the same mission.  Its about due process and basic rights for those detained.  That is why it needs to be under the DOJ. 

If illegal aliens are not seeking asylum or a refugee, pursuance of expedited removal is reasonable under the 1996 law. They don’t need to fall under the purview of the DOJ to perform that task in my estimation. 

• Fuck You 1

Hey Chrispy, how do you feel about my father, an 80 yr old US citizen, and veteran, who HAPPENED to be born at home, with a midwife, in a Texas border town, having JUSTIFIABLE reason to fear leaving this country on a trip for fear that he won't be admitted?

Hell, let me save us the time -- I don't give a flying FUCK what answer you give here.  You've chosen your fucking team, and you can go fuck yourself with an acid-soaked rusty spoon.  The immigration "debate" is about fucking nativist bullshit, and you don't give a fuck because YOU aren't in the crosshairs.  Well, as someone whose family IS in the crosshairs, I'll tell you what anyone in the crosshairs would think.....we pray we get to a day where we get to flip the gunsight around and point it straight at your sorry ass.  I hope to hell the government chooses some asshole path that victimizes your family, because that's the only way that utter pieces of shit like you will ever learn to be decent human beings.

Fuck it, you better get rid of all of us "insufficiently American" types now.....because you've now guaranteed one things for sure: when we can, we're coming for you.  You gutless un-american piece of shit.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Chrispy said:

If illegal aliens are not seeking asylum or a refugee, pursuance of expedited removal is reasonable under the 1996 law. They don’t need to fall under the purview of the DOJ to perform that task in my estimation. 

cart before the horse, brother.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hey Chrispy, how do you feel about my father, an 80 yr old US citizen, and veteran, who HAPPENED to be born at home, with a midwife, in a Texas border town, having JUSTIFIABLE reason to fear leaving this country on a trip for fear that he won't be admitted?

Hell, let me save us the time -- I don't give a flying FUCK what answer you give here.  You've chosen your fucking team, and you can go fuck yourself with an acid-soaked rusty spoon.  The immigration "debate" is about fucking nativist bullshit, and you don't give a fuck because YOU aren't in the crosshairs.  Well, as someone whose family IS in the crosshairs, I'll tell you what anyone in the crosshairs would think.....we pray we get to a day where we get to flip the gunsight around and point it straight at your sorry ass.  I hope to hell the government chooses some asshole path that victimizes your family, because that's the only way that utter pieces of shit like you will ever learn to be decent human beings.

Fuck it, you better get rid of all of us "insufficiently American" types now.....because you've now guaranteed one things for sure: when we can, we're coming for you.  You gutless un-american piece of shit.

This reminds me of the Louis C.K. bit where he acknowledges being white is amazing and the best but “best believe we are gonna pay thoroughly for our shit” in the future. 

Just now, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

This reminds me of the Louis C.K. bit where he acknowledges being white is amazing and the best but “best believe we are gonna pay thoroughly for our shit” in the future. 

Could be easily avoided if the motto of the party of Trump wasn't "fuck anyone remotely mexican-ish."  Completely fucking unnecessary.  But fine.  Have it fucking your way.