DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

Love all the replies on that tweet from ignorant conservatives thinking this is some kind of "gotcha!" against liberals.

It's only a gotcha if you believe the fear-mongering lies from the GOP that Democrats are pushing for open boarders and lawlessness.  Obama deported a shit load of illegal immigrants.  The difference between the GOP and the Democrats is how they feel we should process immigrants, curb illegal crossings, and fix our immigration system.

They are also too stupid to actually understand the state, including the key works "undetected, undocumented, and unchecked."  The caravan is literally trying to make themselves known--i.e. detected--and are, by and large, coming to request political asylum, which means they will be documented and checked.  But the twitter dummies won't let facts and logic get in the way of their stupidity and racism.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I’m about to seem asylum in Sweden. They seem to have a more decent way of life than we do in the states. I wonder how my family and I will be received.

Why couldn't you if you had a viable asylum claim?  Your problem is that you don't.  Maybe try your hand at living in San Salvador before you make stupid comparisons. 

At any rate, it also isn't all that difficult for an educated American to emigrate to the EU if that is what they want to do.

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Chicken Sandwich doesn't believe a counterterrorism official. He prefers to take Donald Trump at his word. This is a level of stupidity we haven't seen before. 

While there is almost no doubt that trump is grandstanding and inflating numbers etc, the "counterterrorism official" is- "A former senior intelligence official who continues to be briefed on current intelligence told NBC News that there is no evidence that any Middle Eastern terrorists are hiding in the caravan."  Now that is a solid source.

Anyone being remotely honest would acknowledge that it is likely that there are gang members and or terrorists that have infiltrated the caravan.  I am sure the number is quite small.

From a practical standpoint, it is unlikely that they will make it into the US if they stick with the caravan as all of those people are going to be pretty extensively back ground checked.  

All of the talk about gangs and terrorists is just political garbage anyway.  The real question we should be debating is what exactly should the US policy be on dealing with mass migration in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

GTFO aggy. Go fuck a sheep or build a shitty bonfire or something.

Edited by Captainant
spelling is hard
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Why couldn't you if you had a viable asylum claim?  Your problem is that you don't. 

Well that’s just a matter of perspective. I live in a country where constitutional rights are undermined by a corrupted judicial system, a captured legislative system, a compromised executive branch, and a place where the rule of law is very much in question. These are many of the same claims that asylum seekers to the US make. Maybe Guatemala:US::US:Sweden. 

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Well that’s just a matter of perspective. I live in a country where constitutional rights are undermined by a corrupted judicial system, a captured legislative system, a compromised executive branch, and a place where the rule of law is very much in question. These are many of the same claims that asylum seekers to the US make. Maybe Guatemala:US::US:Sweden. 

None of those things matter for an asylum claim.

You must be persecuted based on race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group.  Or make a claim under the convention against torture.

The level of persecution is what makes the US drastically different from Guatemala.  Trump can take full control of the gov't and wipe his ass with the Constitution, but until he starts rounding up the Hugo Stiglitz', it doesn't matter.

The closest call would be the systematic poor treatment of African Americans by state actors.  However, even there, it pales in comparison to what occurs in Honduras.  An individual African American, otherwise innocent of any crime, would have to be continuously targeted by the police.  That individual probably exists somewhere, but he is a rarity.  Still, he may very well be able to qualify for asylum in Sweden, while the average African American would not.

As far as Central America goes, our evil liberal courts have found that women and children, in fact, make up a particular social group, and that violent gangs, which have effective territorial control, can be considered persecutors.  Still, we process every individual application separately, whether they arrive in a caravan or not.  There is no mass group pass option.

You, and Hugo, don't even come close to qualifying as persecuted.

• Like 2

What's pretty funny about the coup we support in Honduras in 2009 is that the military overthrew Zelaya because he wanted to organize an assembly to replace the Honduran constitution drafted during the last days of the US-backed military dictatorship.  It is almost grimly comical what we have done to these countries for generations.  And then when we may suffer some infinitesimally small cost for all that fuckery, frightened children like ChickenSandwich immediately shit their diapers.  

Edited by Fozzz
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Fozzz said:

What's pretty funny about the coup we support in Honduras in 2009 is that the military overthrew Zelaya because he wanted to organize an assembly to replace the Honduran constitution drafted during the last days of the US-backed military dictatorship.  It is almost grimly comical what we have done to these countries for generations.  And then when we may suffer some infinitesimally small cost for all that fuckery, frightened children like ChickenSandwich immediately shit their diapers.  

Small? We’ve given them billions of dollars. 

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

You, and Hugo, don't even come close to qualifying as persecuted.

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Trump can take full control of the gov't and wipe his ass with the Constitution, but until he starts rounding up the Hugo Stiglitz', it doesn't matter.

Based on limited research I don’t think that actual individual persecution is required. The eu terminology suggests that only fear of persecution is required. I think I might have a fear based on political opinion angle here. Otherwise I am going to have to rely on good looks alone, which won’t get me very far. 

Saw this on Facebook, the stupid is strong:
44507694_10215275730759296_4797577949664509952_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent.fftw1-1.fna&oh=a06cfe391a1f59f857f8b9809cbb3682&oe=5C3EF4AF
It's organized by Pueblo Sin Fronteras. They've been doing this for ~15 years. They caravan to a border crossing and request asylum. There's nothing illegal about that, at least as far as the US is concerned.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

14 hours ago, Chrispy said:

Small? We’ve given them billions of dollars. 

The money we use to stabilize a fraudulent, unpopular right-wing regime?  A regime that has overseen a dramatic escalation of violence in the country, the very violence from which these people are trying to escape.  Do you believe neocons like Marco Rubio defend that aid out of the kindness of their hearts, or because they do not want a US client state to disintegrate?  

More than 120 activists have been murdered since 2009 when a coup overthrew democratically elected President Manuel Zelaya and ushered in a succession of corrupt right-wing governments that have overseen, according to Global Witness, "shocking levels of violence and intimidation suffered by rural communities."

In a very real sense, the Obama administration — particularly then Secretary of State Hillary Clinton — laid the foundation for Hernández's victory by turning a blind eye to the toppling of Zelaya, who they thought was too close to Bolivian President Evo Morales, Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez and other left-leaning Latin American leaders. By refusing to recognize Zelaya's ouster as a military coup, Clinton kept Honduras on the military aid and training gravy train.

Longtime observers of Central America will know that since the 1980s, nearly 5,000 officers from Honduras have been trained at the U.S. Army's Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation, or WHINSEC, formerly known as the School of the Americas. Graduates of this school hold key positions in the Honduran government and security forces and have been implicated in numerous coups, human rights abuses and suppression of democracy.

Today, the boogeyman of communism that haunted the region in the 1980s is gone, but the institutions and power centers set up in Honduras decades ago remain entrenched, and now environmental activists and indigenous rights leaders are targeted for threatening the political-economic status quo.

"We know it's the U.S. that runs Honduras," and it is "co-responsible" for the human rights abuses and fatal shootings following the latest presidential election, says Nasralla — who could very well be the legitimate victor in the presidential election.

By legitimizing a stolen election, ignoring the rare Organization of American States call for new elections and refusing to condemn the post-election crackdown by the (U.S.-trained) military, the U.S. is again perpetrating violence that ultimately hurts its own self-interest, but, more importantly, continues the oppression of Hondurans.

https://www.ncronline.org/news/opinion/us-policy-perpetuates-violence-honduras

Edited by Fozzz

14 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Based on limited research I don’t think that actual individual persecution is required. The eu terminology suggests that only fear of persecution is required. I think I might have a fear based on political opinion angle here. Otherwise I am going to have to rely on good looks alone, which won’t get me very far. 

Is this supposed to be funny or are you trying to make a point?

19 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

The money we use to stabilize a fraudulent, unpopular right-wing regime?  A regime that has overseen a dramatic escalation of violence in the country, the very violence from which these people are trying to escape.  Do you believe neocons like Marco Rubio defend that aid out of the kindness of their hearts, or because they do not want a US client state to disintegrate?  

https://www.ncronline.org/news/opinion/us-policy-perpetuates-violence-honduras

Don’t accept the money, pretty straightforward. 

I wonder how many of these asylum seekers will follow the legal process to the very end? My guess is once they are allowed in our country, awaiting a legal determination for or against asylum, they will bail and enjoy the life in the USA. That’s bullshit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, PW119 said:

I wonder how many of these asylum seekers will follow the legal process to the very end? My guess is once they are allowed in our country, awaiting a legal determination for or against asylum, they will bail and enjoy the life in the USA. That’s bullshit.

you could read the rest of the thread or do some google, but otherwise would it be fair to say your intelligence is bullshit? good night:

That's bullshit

9 minutes ago, achooloco said:

you could read the rest of the thread or do some google, but otherwise would it be fair to say your intelligence is bullshit? good night:

That's bullshit

Yeah, bullshit.

According to your own link 60 to 75% by ESTIMATE show up for there hearing.

So then own that your fine with 40% of whomever shows up at border living in the country illegally 

Edited by Incredulity

9 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Yeah, bullshit.

According to your own link 60 to 75% by ESTIMATE show up for there hearing.

So then own that your fine with 40% of whomever shows up at border living in the country illegally 

will all disappear? to be fair, his post doesn't really imply all or none, it's ambiguous on total but if i had to guess, the poster leans more towards "all". and yes, if the MAJORITY do show up, that would prove his statement is bullshit. and your post is slightly disingenuous because i never said anything about being fine with that percentage. I was only answering the other poster's wonderment and inaccurate assumption. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, PW119 said:

Good grief. Even the article you selected indicates a problem you fucking moron. Go to bed and never wake up (if you want to start the personal attacks).

i'll start calling out fucking idiots like you, who could read the thread or do a little bit of searching before spouting off fucking bullshit. think, then post, makes this board better. did i say there wasn't a problem? but the fact is a majority do show up and your assumption was fucking bullshit, just like your last line. 

• Fuck You 1

i'll start calling out fucking idiots like you, who could read the thread or do a little bit of searching before spouting off fucking bullshit. think, then post, makes this board better. did i say there wasn't a problem? but the fact is a majority do show up and your assumption was fucking bullshit, just like your last line. 

My assumption has not been proven true or false. This caravan is a fucking circus. Will 60% show for their hearings? I doubt it. But you already know that they will.

2 minutes ago, PW119 said:

My assumption has not been proven true or false. This caravan is a fucking circus. Will 60% show for their hearings? I doubt it. But you already know that they will.

I'm sure the administration has a plan. They seem on top of things like this.

6 minutes ago, PW119 said:

agree it is a circus. do i know the future? no, but if these particular asylum seekers follow the trend of the ones that have come before them, then why would you not think the 60-75% mark would not hold true? do you have a link to base your assumptions on?

• Fuck You 1

agree it is a circus. do i know the future? no, but if these particular asylum seekers follow the trend of the ones that have come before them, then why would you not think the 60-75% mark would not hold true? do you have a link to base your assumptions on?

I think this caravan is differently motivated than most individuals who show up at our border. I believe the organizers are not humanitarians, rather politically or financially motivated assholes taking advantage of our fractioning views on immigration.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

What do you think is cheaper? Tracking them or housing them?

Having a rational, enforceable border.  I have stated many times I am very much in favor of immigrants coming to the US.  I am  very much against the staus-quo openish border situation that foments political discord and draws poor people to a death race to try and cross the border without being caught.

• Like 2

Just now, Incredulity said:

Having a rational, enforceable border.  I have stated many times I am very much in favor of immigrants coming to the US.  I am  very much against the staus-quo openish border situation that foments political discord and draws poor people to a death race to try and cross the border without being caught.

We already have a rational, enforceable border. 

7 minutes ago, PW119 said:

I think this caravan is differently motivated than most individuals who show up at our border. I believe the organizers are not humanitarians, rather politically or financially motivated assholes taking advantage of our fractioning views on immigration.

link to why it is "differently motivated"? curious as to why you think the people risking their families and lives give a damn about USA politics. if you're privy to the motivation of the home grown honduran organizers, I am open to reading it. this is Insider, which i couldn't really identify who they were associated with but looks like they're linked to Business Insider (maybe their online only content provider? dunno): 

In the past, non-profits that help immigrants organized caravans as a way to draw attention to the treacherous journey people have to take to come to the US. But this one started spontaneously.

and another in the MSM:

There is no evidence the caravan is being led by anyone other than Hondurans.

as to their motivations, from WOLA (looks like a commentary so maybe biased)

their motivations

• Fuck You 1

They travel in a caravan because it's a hell of a lot safer than migrating with just your family over a couple thousand miles. The number of people crossing between the time this was newsworthy and the time they reach the border will be greater than that of the caravan as well.

Let’s be real clear about who is pushing this story front and center as the election nears.

And it’s obvious that his tactic of spreading fear to the base is working as this caravan of ms-13 and al qaeda zombies with murder in their hearts make their way to your living room.

Let’s be real clear about who is pushing this story front and center as the election nears.

And it’s obvious that his tactic of spreading fear to the base is working as this caravan of ms-13 and al qaeda zombies with murder in their hearts make their way to your living room.

The volume of piss-filled pants in this country, which is run by a mob of bedwetting pansies scared of, well, everything...it could surely fill lake Travis again.