Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

I don’t think that Texas Marquette game is going to go well, but hope I’m wrong. I actually had not realized that Shaka was named coach of the year, and had a highly ranked team this year. It’s just unbelievable. How was he not successful here? Of course, if/when he fails at Marquette like many believe he will, then it will be clear. But if he succeeds…..wtf?

he inherited/brought in isiah taylor, demarcus holland, kerwin roach, eric davis, javan felix, connor lammert, tevin mack, and jordan barnett (nothing but athletes shooters) and he was like, “you know what this team needs? to slow it tf down; to play inside-out; for me to abandon everything i know about basketball. yeah; that’s the ticket.” you’d think that ridley breaking his foot would have made this move even more obvious, but nope; shaka had to prove to everyone how smart he was.

ffwd to his final year when he has (HELLO) kai jones, greg brown, jericho sims, donovan williams, royce hamm, matt coleman, andrew jones, and gerald liddell, and he STILL was like, “you want me to do what i know? you want me to do what im good at? nah, i’m going to install my fourth different offense here and have have my team full of olympic sprinters and high jumpers spread the floor and shoot threes all day. yeah; that’s the ticket.”

this fucking guy.  

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Rage+1 6

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

I will never... NEVER... understand why Shaka abandoned everything that made him successful as soon as he got to Texas. Everything was set up for him to be so successful here.  He could run Havoc with Texas-level recruits - something every fan wanted to see. Nope.

Occasionally we would get behind and start pressing and everything would open up.  It was beautiful.  Just a small taste of what could be.  Then like a fart in the wind it was gone.  We would grind things back down again and lose.  FFFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffffff.

He Mack Brown'd himself before he even started...

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/14/2023 at 12:25 PM, Dbeasy said:

I actually had not realized that Shaka was named coach of the year, and had a highly ranked team this year. 

Is that any different than Shaka at Texas? He had some good regular season teams at Texas. 

The last 2 years he's lost in the 1st and 2nd rounds with pretty good teams. It sounds like the same Shaka from Texas. More than capable of putting together good rosters/teams but the results don't show up when it matters the most. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

He was a super nice guy who just couldn’t make it work. Not the biggest sin in the world. 

he wasn’t super nice. i’ve posted about it in some detail before, but he had “his guys”, and he was cold towards and played mind games with anyone who wasn’t one of his guys.

the worst thing he did (that i’m aware of) is he released private information to the press about one of our longest serving, most well liked players. and it wasn’t about the player doing anything wrong; shaka revealed to the press- against this player’s direct wishes- that this player’s grandmother who’d raised him had died, and shaka used this news as a reason for completely benching this player for several games, claiming that the player needed time off, even though the player (our team captain) was healthy, the first one in and first one out every day, and desperate to play. straight out of the jeff fisher playbook. just horrible.

fuck shaka smart. he’s as big of an asshole as anyone this side of gregg marshall. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't believe the shaka - super nice guy thing at all.  first of all most coaches at that level aren't nice guys in general and he seemed really fake to me.

Marquette is the right spot for him, basketball only, no pressure on getting players ready for the NBA or recruit one and done's.  he can run havoc and do pretty well.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

We play Marquette tonight.  I don't like our chances.  We will be good eventually this season, but we are really young and loaded with new Euros that are going to take time to develop.

you have a decided advantage at HC, so you at least have that going for you. people here may recall that i wanted cronin to replace shaka 5+ years ago. i hope y’all crush them. that, or come from behind and win at the buzzer. either/or.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

he wasn’t super nice. i’ve posted about it in some detail before, but he had “his guys”, and he was cold towards and played mind games with anyone who wasn’t one of his guys.

the worst thing he did (that i’m aware of) is he released private information to the press about one of our longest serving, most well liked players. and it wasn’t about the player doing anything wrong; shaka revealed to the press- against this player’s direct wishes- that this player’s grandmother who’d raised him had died, and shaka used this news as a reason for completely benching this player for several games, claiming that the player needed time off, even though the player (our team captain) was healthy, the first one in and first one out every day, and desperate to play. straight out of the jeff fisher playbook. just horrible.

fuck shaka smart. he’s as big of an asshole as anyone this side of gregg marshall. 

Im not disputing anything you said but I’m telling you that’s why he made it so long. 
As and aside, I was at MSG tonight and every UConn fan said Marquette was going to be their toughest in conference rival this year. 

holy shit, wild final play where ucla misses a three, gets the loose ball rebound, and then misses an up-and-under layup as time expires. wow. 

a)i’m so happy that college hoops is back

b)i am over the moon that shaka smart is 1,197 miles away from our program.

this tiger has not changed his stripes one iota. marquette’s lofty seed and early tourney exit will be as hilarious as it is predictable/ 

3 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Are you actually laughing out loud?

me watching another program having to deal with shaka’s bullshit:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7mjcrteie280x3tqzo3

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

holy shit, wild final play where ucla misses a three, gets the loose ball rebound, and then misses an up-and-under layup as time expires. wow. 

a)i’m so happy that college hoops is back

b)i am over the moon that shaka smart is 1,197 miles away from our program.

this tiger has not changed his stripes one iota. marquette’s lofty seed and early tourney exit will be as hilarious as it is predictable/ 

Yeah, they have early exit written all over them. If those wild 3s aren't falling it's a repeat of why Texas was always bounced early under Shaka. 

5 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

He made it so long because football was a complete shit show and nobody was paying attention.

On this point, and only on this point, I happen to know that I am right although what you brought up certainly contributed. 

marquette quickly up 8-2 vs KU. it’s not the authentic shaka experience if your team doesn’t look great in a big win or two in november/December. you first have to be fooled and duped into thinking your team can contend to really experience the level of frustration and heartache that shaka smart teams can deliver.

• Like 1

While I understand the concept of schadenfreude, there is plenty of grasping at straws going on here. 

Shaka has proven that he isn't a fraud with the work he has done in his short time at Marquette.

Now he's got this scrappy team of afterthought players doing very well against a very good KU team.