Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

21 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Shaka has proven that he isn't a fraud with the work he has done in his short time at Marquette.

he’s 1-6 in the ncaa tourney in the last 10 years and has been mediocre - terrible for the overwhelming majority of that time. his one tourney win was last year as a 2 seed vs vermont. his other two tourney games at marquette are a 95-63 loss in an 8 vs 9 game, and a 69-60 loss in the second round as a 2 seed. how do you figure he’s done enough to overcome his rightful label as a fraud?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Now he's got this scrappy team of afterthought players

his first recruiting class/the core of this team was the #19 recruiting class in the country (the #4 transfer class) and featured four 4-stars, all of whom were in the top 115 nationally. this is not like what rick barnes (yeah i’m going there) has done with guys like isiah taylor, grant williams, and admiral schofield, taking no-name players from the periphery of the top 250-300 and turning them into all-league and all-american players, this is shaka taking a good recruiting class that’s been tailored to his actual style of coaching and having them playing well before thanksgiving. 

48 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Shaka has proven that he isn't a fraud with the work he has done in his short time at Marquette.

Until Shaka wins in the tournament, he hasn't proven anything. The last 2 years at Marquette he's lost in the 1st and 2 round to lower seeds. 

That's going to be his image until he makes another run in the NCAA tournament and starts beating lower seeds. 

there’s a shit ton of marquette fans in honolulu. legit basketball school there. watching this crowd it occurs to me that shaka is somehow working at his third consecutive absolutely ideal job.

1)VCU is a basketball factory where everyone wins 

2)he then gets one of the top ~5 jobs in the country where he has major backing and support from the AD, major resources, a great city, and the ability to sign top 5-10 national classes yearly 

3)after failing there he goes to a basketball school with even greater support and resources from the school/fan base, where everyone believes that he’s a great coach who was simply mistreated at Texas and they’re thrilled to have him

if this dude doesn’t win big at marquette then he will never win anything, anywhere. he’s been given everything he needs (and then some) to win big for the last 15 years and he has very little to show for it.

Edited by shadow_operative

I think I told this story last season, but a VCU fan came to eat where I worked with his wife when VCU was playing here in the city. Shaka was his neighbor when he was at VCU. He still follows his career and wants him to do well because apparently he and his wife are pretty nice. I have no idea because I don’t keep up with Shaka Smart, but he has been fortunate with the jobs he has had. Marquette’s athletic identity is basketball. Al McGuire made sure of that.

Just now, shadow_operative said:

edey scores to make it a three point lead with 20 seconds left, marquette runs down, doesn’t run a set, everyone looks confused, and they jack up a pull-up three that clangs out.

Looked super familiar 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Edey is a trip. Guy is slow as fuck with post moves that take minutes, but he's so damn big he's difficult to defend in college. Nothing about his game seems like he can thrive in the NBA. I guess thats why he will likely be a two time college play of the year and his draft position in mockdrafts is second round or undrafted. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

sounds like you should put me on ignore.

Dude just stop. I’m trying to be kind and not make you cry like a little bitch.

Not trying to have you threaten to name me in your suicide letter like a crazy person again as you did 6 months ago 

You bring this shit on yourself. I tried to drop it and you feel the need to make this pithy little comment 

You’re asking for it. Dont play the fucking victim when I hurt your little feelings again 

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Dude just stop. I’m trying to be kind and not make you cry like a little bitch.

Not trying to have you threaten to name me in your suicide letter like a crazy person again as you did 6 months ago 

You bring this shit on yourself. I tried to drop it and you feel the need to make this pithy little comment 

You’re asking for it. Dont play the fucking victim when I hurt your little feelings again 

Wrong and dishonest.

You called out Derka twice this morning when he'd said nothing to you. You edited one, after the fact, but I saw what you said.

Derka has said nothing personal against you, he merely suggested  you put him on ignore since you obviously are still butthurt about him embarrassing you when you first popped up a couple of years ago.

Derka might have issues, but at least he's honest about them and aware of them. You are a much, much sicker individual, imo.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Wrong and dishonest.

You called out Derka twice this morning when he'd said nothing to you. You edited one, after the fact, but I saw what you said.

I said that the people at Marquette are happy with Shaka and Derka should let it go

i edited it to avoid 5 long rambling posts 

Not sure how that makes me a sick individual 

Shaka deserves his own aggycoaster-esque MS Paint. His season arcs are executing with fucking clinical precision.

-The big November win over a highly ranked opponent

-The December scare against a mid/low major

-The respectable-to-strong start to conference play

-The mild setback that gives you pause

-The "back on track" run that convinces you this year could be different

-The limp to the conference play finish

-The wildcard conference tourney performance 

-The catastrophic early round NCAA tourney loss. FIN

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

All I'm asking is that on December 6th Rodney Terry and crew beat that ass. I couldn't stomach a loss to a Shaka coached team after how terrible he was at Texas. The guy legitimately came here and ditched his identity for some whack ass NBA style system and failed miserably.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Just ran into a guy at a bar who went to Marquette and was wearing a MU hat. I have my Texas gear on getting ready for our game tonight. 

He thanked me for giving them Shaka.

I don’t think any Marquette fans are upset with Shaka as their coach. They seem quite happy with him (for now).

I lived in Milwaukee for a couple of years after college. Hung out with all Marquette grads. Still keep in touch with a bunch of them. They are fucking ecstatic. I keep telling them, but they dont wanna hear it. Last year's early exit didn't do much to dampen the enthusiasm  because wojo did a number on them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I lived in Milwaukee for a couple of years after college. Hung out with all Marquette grads. Still keep in touch with a bunch of them. They are fucking ecstatic. I keep telling them, but they dont wanna hear it. Last year's early exit didn't do much to dampen the enthusiasm  because wojo did a number on them. 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7j9c69jqb293zlr163b

ignorance is bliss.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Not chucked, chunked.

Texas Monthly

Don’t pretend the matter is settled. Apparently you are in the enemy camp. Good to know. You just made the list, buddy.

“I think ‘chuck’ involves aim and ‘chunk’ is just to throw it away, out a window, et cetera.”

Edited by Degenerate Gardner

On 11/25/2023 at 1:24 PM, Blotto said:

The group text is humming now, lulz...."someone needs to be able to make threes in that offense." 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1