2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

the Elfrid Payton minutes are free points for Atlanta.

It's such a beating keeping track of which teams guys are on and what they're doing in the NBA even with playing fantasy and gambling. 

Like I just learned with your comment that Elfrid Payton is on the Knicks and he has yet to develop into a decent player. 

I'll frequently be watching a game and think "oh shit I forgot that's where that guy is now - I wonder how he's doing"

38 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I was surprised at the shit he caught on that post.  Nobody is saying Westbrook isn't as valuable as a second rounder.  They're saying you don't fucking pay Westbrook 35M this year or any year in the future.  You wouldn't trade a bag of chips for Westbrook.  You obviously give Hardaway Jr. more money/years then WB at this point in his career. 

The real argument is would you trade a second rounder for WB at the tail end of his OKC career?  I still say no.  I'd have said fuck no to the Angels signing Pujols to that obscene contract too.  I don't know why we all give GM's so much credit in sports.  They're dipshits more often than they are genius...  For every GM who is a genius there's at least 2 who leave you scratching your head. 

I just don’t think Russ is a winning basketball player in the NBA.  If he’s your #1 guy, your ceiling is a first round exit.  If he’s your #2 guy, he’s going to resent being #2 and cause friction with your #1 guy.  If he would actually accept being #2 I could probably stomach overpaying him, but he’s not there yet.

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I just don’t think Russ is a winning basketball player in the NBA.  If he’s your #1 guy, your ceiling is a first round exit.  If he’s your #2 guy, he’s going to resent being #2 and cause friction with your #1 guy.  If he would actually accept being #2 I could probably stomach overpaying him, but he’s not there yet.

Maybe he'll get there when he's 45.  

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Maybe he'll get there when he's 45.  

Carmelo isn’t the perfect parallel, because Russ has more gas in the tank than Carmelo did when he went to OKC and Houston, but it took him getting released in Houston and sitting at home the rest of the season to realize that maybe bringing some heat off the bench isn’t such a bad deal on the backside of his career.  He seems genuinely happy in Portland now.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Carmelo isn’t the perfect parallel, because Russ has more gas in the tank than Carmelo did when he went to OKC and Houston, but it took him getting released in Houston and sitting at home the rest of the season to realize that maybe bringing some heat off the bench isn’t such a bad deal on the backside of his career.  He seems genuinely happy in Portland now.

Prime Westbrook was better than prime Melo for my money's worth, as well. But they both fell/have fallen off very hard. 

Is it just me or does Dillon Brooks look like a Dollar Store version of Prince? 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Prime Westbrook was better than prime Melo for my money's worth, as well. But they both fell/have fallen off very hard. 

Russ averaged a triple double this year, so he hasn’t fallen hard yet.  But someone whose game is based on being the most athletic guy on the court, the fall will be massive when Father Time shows up, and that will be before his current contract expires.

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Damn that's funny!

It's not just you. I've been trying to place it since game 1. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Russ averaged a triple double this year

Yeah well he was better when he wasn't doing that stupid shit. KD or Curry could average 40 points per game every year - but it wouldn't exactly help their team.

Peak Russ was like 2014-2016 and he was still a fucking headache to watch playing for a team that I rooted for. Once he tried to start being LeBron I think his feel for the game and winning tendencies went out the fucking window and now that his athleticism is starting to dip the rest is following suit. 

I don’t want to be revisionist because he had his moments and was a legit top 10 player for a time. He had a 40 point game in the NBA Finals. KD definitely needed him in certain playoff series. But there's zero question as to why those teams had the success they did. It wasn't because Westbrook was playing point guard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, WJC88 said:

Damn that's funny!

It's not just you. I've been trying to place it since game 1. 

It's the hair I think. I thought "that looks like a haircut Prince would have had but if it got fucked up a little".

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Yeah well he was better when he wasn't doing that stupid shit. KD or Curry could average 40 points per game every year - but it wouldn't exactly help their team.

Peak Russ was like 2014-2016 and he was still a fucking headache to watch playing for a team that I rooted for. Once he tried to start being LeBron I think his feel for the game and winning tendencies went out the fucking window and now that his athleticism is starting to dip the rest is following suit. 

I don’t want to be revisionist because he had his moments and was a legit top 10 player for a time. He had a 40 point game in the NBA Finals. KD definitely needed him in certain playoff series. But there's zero question as to why those teams had the success they did. It wasn't because Westbrook was playing point guard. 

I agree with all of that.  Was just saying Russ isn’t as washed as Melo was when Houston let him go.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

congrats to the most overrated franchise in professional sports.  they won a playoff game for the first time in 8 years.  whoopie!  

fwiw, that is a cool scene.  damn near like a college game.  but still, the fawning by the national media over the New York Knicks is nauseating.  their last title is coming up on its 50th anniversary, but there are those who treat them like they're in the same class as the Lakers and Celtics.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, ztejas said:

100%.  More like Prince than Chapelle.  Prince loved that skit and it was a true story too.  Great shit.   

B10ED3A3-7C2F-4F81-857D-A899D3A3FD06.jpeg

congrats to the most overrated franchise in professional sports.  they won a playoff game for the first time in 8 years.  whoopie!  
fwiw, that is a cool scene.  damn near like a college game.  but still, the fawning by the national media over the New York Knicks is nauseating.  their last title is coming up on its 50th anniversary, but there are those who treat them like they're in the same class as the Lakers and Celtics.

Ain’t nobody putting them in an upper echelon of successful franchises…but like you said with the Mecca alive, that shit was awesome. The eastern conference collectively has sucked balls up until KD went to Brooklyn. Games at MSG add to that type of aura. Ain’t nobody caring or watching if it’s Atlanta at Orlando or Charlotte for that 4/5 matchup.

8 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

As a long suffering Knicks fan, hard to argue with this.  But MSG is a pretty incredible place to catch a ballgame or concert, still need to catch a Rangers game.  

192622271_4731478480232204_1669713540383937800_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=bPVhcD1eZSEAX8Tn7ph&tn=HZr5PTLmqr325x5A&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=63474ca2162fd9b5b5e1e547db8891da&oe=60D2B9D4
I understand that the NBA should not want to let this go. The players should not have anything thrown at them besides words. But this 'Protect our players'' meme is a bit too much. Like they have to run a gauntlet from the locker room to the court. Or dodge gunfire during timeouts.

9 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
12 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
192622271_4731478480232204_1669713540383937800_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=bPVhcD1eZSEAX8Tn7ph&tn=HZr5PTLmqr325x5A&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=63474ca2162fd9b5b5e1e547db8891da&oe=60D2B9D4

I understand that the NBA should not want to let this go. The players should not have anything thrown at them besides words. But this 'Protect our players'' meme is a bit too much. Like they have to run a gauntlet from the locker room to the court. Or dodge gunfire during timeouts.

Its still considered protecting the players.    Whether it be from over the top verbal shit, throwing shit them........................or gunfire.   Good grief.   

I suppose it was wishful thinking to think a year away would create better fans, ones who may have forgotten their love of the game and watching athletes compete at the highest level. Nah, still filled with angry people who think their ticket is a free pass to cuss and act horribly to rich, more successful people.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Man, somebody dumps popcorn on you that's a fight.

Yep, I dont know why folks think that shit is cool or funny or anything other than assholery.

Edited by d2o