2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Generally speaking, fuck Chris Paul's whiney ass. But I suppose he's due for one inverse Chris Paul playoffs: he gets healthier round by round, everyone else falls apart.

I completely understand the sentiment. I think Chris Paul, while all the things you said, is important historically and I hate seeing those guys (Barkley, Ewing, Stockton and Malone, Elgin Baylor) retire without a ring. 
Just kidding about Stockton and Malone. That makes me happy all the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m very happy for Chris Paul. He’s been a great player for a ton of years and seeing him win a title after it was thought impossible, and as the best(ish) player on his team still is incredible. 
that said- AD, Murray, Leonard, and Giannis being gone is just the most incredible and stupid run to a title break that anyone has probably ever gotten. Derka could be the point guard for that team and it would win 78 games in the regular season I think. 
these playoffs have been such a bummer to me. Other than KD who I’m all I for on an individual basis all the time, what I root for most in the NBA is greatness. We’ve been robbed of our chance to see that this year (that was the point I was making with Milwaukee) and it sucks. 

Oh well, hope Phoenix gets it done bc I also have a soft spot in my heart for first titles foR franchises when they aren’t expansion teams. 

The last playoff run like this was the Warriors in 2015. I believe every single team they faced had key injuries. And the Cavs that year were missing Love and Irving for most that series. But I think this one takes the cake. Lakers were in route to take control of the 1st rd series before AD went down. These playoffs are a huge letdown. So many stars going down. I don't care who wins the East right now. Just whomever is the most healthy. Giannis does not have any structural damage but that doesn't really mean much as he can easily do career changing damage if he goes back too soon. Not sure about Trae Young's injury extent. If both are healthy, I'd rather see the Bucks in there.

Hated Chris Paul for the vast majority of his career, but he’s the best point guard of my lifetime in my personal opinion. I wasn’t old enough to see stockton or Thomas, and i think CP3 is better than Nash and Kidd. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but i think it’s true. He deserves his shot at getting a ring. It would really cap off his career and cement his legacy as one of the best PGs to ever do it. 

Last night would have been the ultimate Chris Paul game if he had suffered a season ending injury right before the game ended. But otherwise, we were treated to the full CP3 experience including: 1) his pick and rolling a poor recovering big (i.e., Boogie Cousins) to death, and then either taking him to the rack or hitting that little step back fading j over him; 2) a run of ridiculously clutch 3 pointers that a career 37% 3-point shooter typically has no business taking much less making; 3) being in complete control of the game and tempo, and always moving the ball to the right place at the right time; 4) absurd on ball and man to man defense for a 35 year old man; 5) a relentless barrage of state farm commercials; 6) agitating an opponent so badly that they shove him in the back while he's walking away; 7) a classic flop where he acted like he got shot with a .357 when Cousins got his elbow within 6 inches of his dome; and 8) an unbelievably heart felt and engaging post game interview.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

The last playoff run like this was the Warriors in 2015. I believe every single team they faced had key injuries. And the Cavs that year were missing Love and Irving for most that series. But I think this one takes the cake. Lakers were in route to take control of the 1st rd series before AD went down. These playoffs are a huge letdown. So many stars going down. I don't care who wins the East right now. Just whomever is the most healthy. Giannis does not have any structural damage but that doesn't really mean much as he can easily do career changing damage if he goes back too soon. Not sure about Trae Young's injury extent. If both are healthy, I'd rather see the Bucks in there.

This one for sure takes the cake. The biggest asterisk for that Warriors team for me is that they didn't have to face OKC, the Spurs or the Clippers. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Someone on here posted that he was done for the rest of the season definitively. I too had assumed that was correct. 

I think I said that he was probably done for the series but that that type of injury doesn't always have a huge turnaround. I think someone on Twitter said he was out for the season before they came out as saying he's doubtful. 

But "doubtful" to me is some horse shit. I'd be amazed if he plays tonight (just checked - he's out on ESPN - Trae and Bogdan are DTD but I'm assuming they both play). I'd also be amazed if they get through Atlanta without him esp. with Trae back. 

Also, "out for the season" may only be 3 more days. YMMV.

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That list is awesome. It like a who's who list of NBA royalty with Steve Kerr and Robert Horry thrown in for good measure...... and then Earl fucking Cureton.

It obviously isn't comprehensive. I think he just came up with at least one guy for each year then moved on.

Which makes it crazier that we're breaking the streak this year. I mean think about a year like 2018 or 1987. Like half the guys on both rosters would have already had a ring. 

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It obviously isn't comprehensive. I think he just came up with at least one guy for each year then moved on.

Which makes it crazier that we're breaking the streak this year. I mean think about a year like 2018 or 1987. Like half the guys on both rosters would have already had a ring. 

Oh... I know but it was the complete randomness of Earl Cureton as the guy who kept that streak alive that cracked me up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Oh... I know but it was the complete randomness of Earl Cureton as the guy who kept that streak alive that cracked me up. 

Yeah you can definitely see the years where he had to dig a little bit.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That list is awesome. It like a who's who list of NBA royalty with Steve Kerr and Robert Horry thrown in for good measure...... and then Earl fucking Cureton.

I didn't even realize Earl the twirl was on the 83 Sixers.   Maybe I just forgot.   

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If the Bucks get through without Giannis and he can't return in the Finals hooooooly shit the ratings are going to be bad. Like Spurs/Cavs 2007.

I think I’d rather shove bamboo shoots into my scrotum than watch 07 Spurs v Cavs again. What a ducking beating that was. 
the difference in fun between watching the spurs in 07 vs 13 or 14 (as someone without a dog in the fight) is so night and day as for be astonishing. And that Cavs team was just putrid. 
I think the only teams I enjoyed watching in the mid 00’s were Phoenix and Dallas. The sport is in such a better place right now it’s incredible from a fun to watch perspective. Those rock fights were just really really awful to watch. Unfun in the way watching Shaka Smart smear feces in the walk was unfun if you love Texas hoops. 

My interest in these playoffs has dwindled fast. Did not even watch tonight and only a few minutes last night. You take the stars out of the NBA, it's lame. It's like watching the NFL playoffs but every team is missing their starting QB. 

If Trae and Giannis are done, the Finals will be a snoozefest to the highest degree.

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn’t watch tonight, but last night’s game was a classic IMO - Pretty solid battle until CP3 decided to slit their throats. Throw in the drama and it was entertaining, though the endless reviews and hilarious oversteps by officials are more tiresome than ever.

I disagree. These playoffs have more of an unpredictable “March Madness” quality that I am enjoying.  And even though the stars are out, the quality of basketball has been pretty good. 

I would MUCH rather the finals be Suns vs Hawks than Suns can Bucks.  If Trae comes back that would be a fun matchup with CP3.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

I disagree. These playoffs have more of an unpredictable “March Madness” quality that I am enjoying.  And even though the stars are out, the quality of basketball has been pretty good. 

I would MUCH rather the finals be Suns vs Hawks than Suns can Bucks.  If Trae comes back that would be a fun matchup with CP3.

This is what is funny.   So many complain about how the outcome is already known.   Then we get a yr like this one where everything is up in the air and the same folks are complaining that its boring.   Good grief.     These games have been great.  

• Like 3

Thought its been a really fun playoffs outside of the last three games. Suns/Clippers Game 6 turned into a snoozefest late and the Bucks/Hawks Game 4 & 5 have been blowouts without any stars.

I respect Chris Paul but he's probably at the bottom of my list of 1st ballot hall of famers that I want to tune in to watch. Hopefully Trae or Giannis will be back. 

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I’ve enjoyed these playoffs. Not saying I’m happy dudes are hurt but I have frankly enjoyed watching some new blood play.

It's been pretty hit or miss for me. I've enjoyed the tight games--seeing dudes you wouldn't expect (or have never heard of) step up--but the 12 point, never-really-in-doubt wins have been a slog to get though. The brilliance of LeBron, KD, Steph, etc. can make a relatively uncompetitive playoff game still well worth watching. Brook Lopez cannot.

• Hook 'Em 2

nobody in the East is touching a healthy Nets team, for one. two, there's no way you can seriously consider the clippers contenders with their history and assuming a healthy Lakers. GSW was a play-in team with a garbage roster, so again, it was pretty much LAL and BK and then everybody else. then the injuries happened.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

Lakers roster beyond their top 2 is about as garbage as GS after Klay is back. The short off-season was big for the Lakers. Could be wrong but I'm not just penciling in 37 year old LeBron and street clothes Davis into the Finals moving forward. Especially if their supporting cast is Kyle Kuzma, Andre Drummond, and Alex Caruso like players.

Clippers history before 2020 doesnt matter imo. Think they had a decent shot at the Finals if Kawhi was healthy. 

Nets do probably win the East easily. Big 3 only played like nine games or so together in 2021. Should roll next season if healthy.