2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

On 7/4/2021 at 9:37 AM, Braff Zacklin said:

What blows my mind is how polarizing the word "irony" and its various forms are. There are basically two camps, and they both get worked up into a lather over the other's usage.

Per any dictionary you will find, ironic means:

• using words in a way that convey the opposite of their literal meaning (so, basically, a form of sarcasm)
  • a coincidental, unintended or unexpected outcome

So, in conclusion:

5d098ca2-fe3b-46d3-876f-525bfdf55f66_tex

I blame Alanis.... yea, I really do think.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, people don't seem to realize that irony isn't a monolith and there are sub-verticals: dramatic irony, literal irony, situational irony etc.

I guess to help the literal-minded folks who have a hard time with flexible/creative thinking on their feet, the author should actually denote which flavor of irony they are referencing as a "belts and suspenders", but I personally feel like people shouldn't be so bent out of shape and pedantic in the first place.

That said, my favorite cartoon clip in an ocean of awesome clips, after a couple of scenes where Bender corrects a character by chiding "That's not ironic, it's just ____"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I don't know if it's ironic but I'm more or less in the same boat. I'll probably watch because I think Phoenix is a somewhat compelling team but Milwaukee minus Giannis for a 7-game series is a foregone conclusion really.

Yeah. CP3 winning it is the only compelling thing left. I'll throw up in my mouth a bit if the Bucks win. 

But whatever. You play the hand you're dealt. Just a strange season. 

3 minutes ago, Mole said:

Do you find that ironic?

Yes. That would be the best example so far, actually. 

Only if you're calling me out for not being interested in shitty basketball, though. 

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yes. That would be the best example so far, actually. 

Only if you're calling me out for not being interested in shitty basketball, though. 

My dig was only at the language smack. The best part of the NBA playoffs for me is watching the best players in the world try to figure out each other in a 7-game series. I don't really care about new teams winning it or the drama of surprise teams winning it. I honestly don't even care that much about who wins or loses, other than pulling for horns to win. I just want to watch the best players play against each other. There's something magical about the swings that happen over 7 games as each team adapts with such great players.

I agree that it's a lot less interesting when the best players in the world keep getting hurt.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mole said:

My dig was only at the language smack. The best part of the NBA playoffs for me is watching the best players in the world try to figure out each other in a 7-game series. I don't really care about new teams winning it or the drama of surprise teams winning it. I honestly don't even care that much about who wins or loses, other than pulling for horns to win. I just want to watch the best players play against each other. There's something magical about the swings that happen over 7 games as each team adapts with such great players.

I agree that it's a lot less interesting when the best players in the world keep getting hurt.

My issue is that the best players in the world aren't competing. Giannis is like at best the 6th best player in the league for me and he may or may not play. CP3 and Book are next up but I don't put either of them in my top 10. 

So, yeah, we're probably on the same page. Just wasn't sure if your comment was a shot at my lack of interest because I think any NBA fan has a right to feel meh about this matchup. If you're some pants above your waist fundamentals guy then yeah it might be right up your alley but who the fuck of those guys even watch the NBA?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/4/2021 at 5:26 AM, shadow_operative said:

god damn it, why does nobody know what the word "ironic" means?!?!?! there is nothing ironic about that referee working this game. it's borderline coincidental, but it is nowhere near being "ironic", and it blows my mind that 99% of adults still have no clue how to use that word. 

edit: just went and looked up this illiterate clown's credentials:

Education: St. Bonaventure University, BA in journalism/mass communication, 2007

so you went to a good school where you studied to be someone who writes for a living, you're employed by one of the biggest papers in America, and you have no idea what the word "ironic" means. fantastic. 

There's a song that does a good job of explaining it

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Hahaha Booker is mad that CP got Ayton's 20th rebound and CP went to try and have the scorekeeper give it to Ayton. 

Well yea. Book knew we needed the statmuse tweet about Ayton being the first Bahamian player in NBA history to be under 23 years old and to have a 20/20 game in their finals debut.
  • Haha 2