2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

Booker fouls the living fuck out of a guy- no call. Payne tried to trap and doesn't foul- foul call. fucking NBA refs man. 

Yeah, I have a good friend who is a big sports fan... MLB, NFL, NHL...  everything except for NBA basketball.  He says the randomness and inconsistency of officiating ruins the game for him.  

This game would certainly bolster his argument.

Oh... and he's from Milwaukee.

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Iggy, who knows something about blocks in the Finals, chimes in...

Dude... it was a great block. It's not like they needed it to win. Let's pump the brakes, please. Giannis has been phenomenal since game 1 - we don't need to inflate his legacy.

Iggy is also a well known moron when it comes to takes like this. 

Just now, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Yo z, wtf? That game was entertaining as hell. And that block was absurd. He just blocked an alley oop at the rim when he was originally guarding the passer. That's as good of a defensive play as you will ever see. Sick. 

Why are you so bitchy about this series? 

That game was rough, man. It got good towards the end but that was pretty yikes as far as Finals games go for me. 

That was a great defensive play. We don't need to compare it to LeBron's block in the Finals in 2016. The circumstances are not remotely similar. What I'm seeing is people digging to try and make this Finals relevant. It's a passable Finals. Let's admit that and move on. I'm not creaming my pants because Giannis had a great block on DeAndre Ayton after a shitshow of a playoffs.

I’m just happy it went wire to wire and we had at least one decent game. Game 5 is going to be epic between 2 teams that have1 championship in the last 50 years

I hope Middleton gets on the flight this trip unlike the last one. Bucks have zero chance if he plays like games 1&2 but that’s probably a well known commodity by now

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Yo z, wtf? That game was entertaining as hell. And that block was absurd. He just blocked an alley oop at the rim when he was originally guarding the passer. That's as good of a defensive play as you will ever see. Sick. 

Why are you so bitchy about this series? 

You see, there was this young man named Kyrie who was dribbling towards the hoop…

• Haha 2

Just now, Kermit said:

You see, there was this young man named Kyrie who was dribbling towards the hoop…

Repped because that's a decent jab. 

But... here's the thing. In 2016 OKC lost to GS in 7 - that was one of the worst series losses I've ever been through. I mean yes I'm a Spurs fan but I was pretty torn for awhile between us and Durant's Thunder. That WCF loss was existential for me. Worst 5 sports losses I've ever been through. The Nets going out to MIL this year doesn't crack the top 20.

But, guess what... I hung on every moment of the 2016 Finals. Because it was one of the greatest basketball series I've ever seen. I never complained about the quality of ball being played in that series. 

This is not that. I don't get why some of you find that so difficult to understand or accept. The quality of basketball and superstars in this series just feels very meh compared to what we've been treated to the past decade.

So fuck me for feeling that way but it's true. Giannis is the only top 10 player in the Finals. Both of these teams are here because other teams suffered injuries. And the games are predictably just kind of listless and disjointed. 

But, that's just me. I'm sure the American basketball-watching populace is eating this series up with a spoon. (Except they aren't - guess who's still watching though)

• Hook 'Em 2

this was the best game of the series by far,  but yes- this series has not been captivating to this point, for all of the reasons listed. that said, milwaukee tied it up tonight and i am definitely looking forward to the remaining three game series. i just hope the level of basketball rises. this has not been a classic finals series by any means.

• Hook 'Em 1

@ztejas I totally get and agree with the Booker/Kobe comparison. Booker isn't anything like Klay. For one, Booker only shoots like 34% from 3, and two he does way more off the dribble than Klay could ever dream of doing. Klay and Booker aren't in anyway comparable players outside of their skin tone. Obviously Booker isn't near as good as Kobe, but in today's game and style of play he's a midrange assassin akin to what Kobe was. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Never at any point did I think we were winning that game last night. Booker was absolutely cooking – felt like he was never gonna miss. Him picking up his fifth was arguably the most critical play of the game. He was okay when he came back in but I think he went 2/4 with a couple of crucial misses down the stretch, and that doesn't happen if he stays on the floor. Giannis' defense in the final three minutes was as good as you'll ever see – that iconic block and (I think) two steals, including what was essentially the clincher when he poked the ball away from Chris Paul.

Glad we finally got a close game for the neutrals, and that we have a series on our hands.

Here's a better angle of that crazy block:

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

A healthy GS runs both of these teams out of the building next season.

Would really love a GS/BK finals next year. I remain skeptical on Golden State making it through the west (especially if AD and LeBron are both healthy) unless they can package the pick(s)/Wiseman/Wiggins for a legit third star. 

19 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

A healthy GS runs both of these teams out of the building next season.

Yeah I dont know about that.   They still have issues to sort out.   Klay being healthy doesn't magically change that.   Especially Klay coming back off 2 major injuries and missing 2 full yrs.

• Like 1

That block was pretty fucking ridiculous.   The game was tied at the time.   That dunk puts PHX up and gives them some momentum.

CP3 was terribly last night.  MIL's length is really giving him trouble.  They are recovering after he beats the first guy and he is panicking when they do in a way that I've not seen him in other situations.    Jrue is wearing him down d-ing him up as soon as he gets the ball.    I still think MIL switches too much but I did see Jrue fight over and stay with CP3 more often last night.

Great game.   Hope we get 3 more just like it.

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

That block was pretty fucking ridiculous.   The game was tied at the time.   That dunk puts PHX up and gives them some momentum.

CP3 was terribly last night.  MIL's length is really giving him trouble.  They are recovering after he beats the first guy and he is panicking when they do in a way that I've not seen him in other situations.    Jrue is wearing him down d-ing him up as soon as he gets the ball.    I still think MIL switches too much but I did see Jrue fight over and stay with CP3 more often last night.

Great game.   Hope we get 3 more just like it.

If not already known, I present to you the dumbest man in America.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

If not already known, I present to you the dumbest man in America.

I really need to go on ahead and block that asshole on Twitter.    Guess he's trying to figure out who his next guy to irrationally hate after LBJ retires.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Would really love a GS/BK finals next year. I remain skeptical on Golden State making it through the west (especially if AD and LeBron are both healthy) unless they can package the pick(s)/Wiseman/Wiggins for a legit third star. 

Health of all those is in question.  Also, Brooklyn needs more depth.  GS looks to be aggressive with trades of various types. They’ll prolly look a lot different than they do now outside of their core three.

Seems many NBA fans in a dream scenario would like 5 superstars on one team in the West and 5 superstars on one team in the East and only the NBA Finals matters.

My dream scenario would be every team having like 1.5 All-stars and every round of the playoffs is hopefully interesting. When like 3+ superstars are on a team and they just roll through their conference with little drama I don't find it too captivating. 

36 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Seems many NBA fans in a dream scenario would like 5 superstars on one team in the West and 5 superstars on one team in the East and only the NBA Finals matters.

My dream scenario would be every team having like 1.5 All-stars and every round of the playoffs is hopefully interesting. When like 3+ superstars are on a team and they just roll through their conference with little drama I don't find it too captivating. 

Thing is those same folks will say that the NBA is too predictable because there are only 3-4 teams capable of winning a title every yr.

• Like 1