Big 12 Tournament Thread

Horny Bull

1 minute ago, Hairy Biped said:

I'm happy for the win, but I didn't enjoy one minute of that game.  It felt like a loss.  Hoping for better tomorrow.

Lol. If you can't enjoy Hansen and Whitt dealing then I don't know what to tell you. There's a reason we're ranked 2nd in the country - it isn't our batting average.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

you didn't enjoy the 2 run double that gave us the lead or any of witt's performance?

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Lol. If you can't enjoy Hansen and Whitt dealing then I don't know what to tell you. There's a reason we're ranked 2nd in the country - it isn't our batting average.

LOL.  Players doing what they are supposed to do isn't exactly enough to overcome the frustration of about a million shitty at bats and keeping a mediocre team in the game all night.  Witt was lights out, but shit that was still nerve wracking.  I'm still not 100% sure that double actually happened.  I don't seem to remember them putting the ball in play more than the 2 caught at the fence.  

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Shit snacks.  What an ugly win.  

12:35p-CDT versus OSU.  
somebody please post stream.  
hopefully we saved enough of the staff tonight despite the close game.  

we Solidified a top 3 seed tonight.  Could still play up to #2 this weekend.  

I presume it will be Kubichek and Eckhardt tomorrow. The bullpen is actually pretty fresh Witt and Nixon are the only guys to have thrown much this week.

If we somehow make it to Sunday it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

13 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

If they drive this run in, he might come out and get himself run.  He's fucking pissed.

Ironically it wasn't even interference... dude barely moved. I've seen 100 things this season that Pierce should've been yelling at the umps about, including 3 or 4 this game.. but that one wasn't it. 

Whatever.. maybe he wanted to fire up Witt. 

1 minute ago, Hairy Biped said:

LOL.  Players doing what they are supposed to do isn't exactly enough to overcome the frustration of about a million shitty at bats and keeping a mediocre team in the game all night.  Witt was lights out, but shit that was still nerve wracking.  I'm still not 100% sure that double actually happened.  I don't seem to remember them putting the ball in play more than the 2 caught at the fence.  

You should stick to watching squash. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hairy Biped said:

I'm happy for the win, but I didn't enjoy one minute of that game.  It felt like a loss.  Hoping for better tomorrow.

Well I enjoyed watching us pitch and play defense a ton. I am not sure what is going on with the bats.

This might be the first time I ever wanted to see us get back to Disch-Falk for the sake of the offense. Maybe they just cannot see the ball in this park for some reason.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, NorthLoop said:

You should stick to watching squash. 

So you're saying that me expecting Texas to play like an elite team is too much?  Isn't that the goal?  To build a mechanism that can compete with the Arkansas and Vandys of the current college baseball world?  Not one that can barely beat a middling WV team.  Winning conference tournament games are nice, but that's just part of the process.  It shouldn't be such a fucking struggle for any top 8 national seed to simply get a hit against the (checks notes) second worst team in the Big 12.

Just now, Guadaloopy said:

Elite teams find a way to win when they struggle in one aspect of the game.  

Elite teams don't struggle to hit the ball against the 2nd worst team in the conference when their pitching staffs are spent.  Totally unacceptable, shitty home plate ump aside.  Terrible effort.

6 minutes ago, Hairy Biped said:

So you're saying that me expecting Texas to play like an elite team is too much?  Isn't that the goal?  To build a mechanism that can compete with the Arkansas and Vandys of the current college baseball world?  Not one that can barely beat a middling WV team.  Winning conference tournament games are nice, but that's just part of the process.  It shouldn't be such a fucking struggle for any top 8 national seed to simply get a hit against the (checks notes) second worst team in the Big 12.

Over analyzing this way too much. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hairy Biped said:

Do you know why we're at top 8 national seed? Here's a hint... it's the 40 wins before this week that you clearly didn't watch. 

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Ironically it wasn't even interference... dude barely moved. I've seen 100 things this season that Pierce should've been yelling at the umps about, including 3 or 4 this game.. but that one wasn't it. 

Whatever.. maybe he wanted to fire up Witt. 

I thought it was close.  Kid didn't do it on purpose -- he was just heading back to the dugout all dejected and probably didn't even think about interference.  But it was close.

I think that was just the straw that broke Pierce's back after watching our hitters take strikes two inches off the plate all night then Blue didn't even ring up one of their guys who was halfway back to the damned dugout before he realized he was still at bat.

4 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Do you know why we're at top 8 national seed? Here's a hint... it's the 40 wins before this week that you clearly didn't watch. 

National seeds and 40 win seasons are nice.  They don't mean shit if Texas can't win their own regional.  The effort that they have put forth in the Big 12 tournament so far, won't win a regional, much less compete for a championship.  Top to bottom, that was a shitty effort by everyone but the pitching.  I'm sorry my expectations are different from yours, but they aren't misplaced.  And BTW, I watched every game that was televised this season.  And last.  And the one before that.  And so on.  

4 minutes ago, Hairy Biped said:

National seeds and 40 win seasons are nice.  They don't mean shit if Texas can't win their own regional.  The effort that they have put forth in the Big 12 tournament so far, won't win a regional, much less compete for a championship.  Top to bottom, that was a shitty effort by everyone but the pitching.  I'm sorry my expectations are different from yours, but they aren't misplaced.  And BTW, I watched every game that was televised this season.  And last.  And the one before that.  And so on.  

So doing shitty in the conference tourney automatically means you won't win the regional? 

2005 says hi. 2018 as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Hairy Biped said:

Well it is also baseball and while some look to have a positive outlook and for a reason to move on to the next game, others like you tend to the exact opposite "expect the worst hope for the best" coping mechanism. So if the team loses you can say you were right and if they win well hey they proved you wrong, win-win.

The hitting has been atrocious since the start of the tournament and even with the last 3 games at the plate they are still hitting .280 as a team with a .396 OBP. In other words they can hit they just for whatever reason have looked absolutely sick the last 3 games. Oddly enough and maybe coincidentally I'm not sure, their 6 worst offensive performances this season have come on neutral field.

The 2018 team had 3 runs on 10 hits and went 0-2 in the tourney so this Texas team can very much win a regional. The two have no correlation so I don't know why you brought them up.

In some odd way winning two games in which you combine for 8 hits and strikeout 31 times in 16 innings is impressive because their aren't many teams out there could win with that poor of an offensive showing. They have walked 24 times over the last 3 games. There are positives, they aren't going to the plate getting mowed down in 3 pitches. Really is one of the oddest offensive funks I've ever seen.

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, chase25 said:

In some odd way winning two games in which you combine for 8 hits and strikeout 31 times in 16 innings is impressive because their aren't many teams out there could win with that poor of an offensive showing. They have walked 24 times over the last 3 games. There are positives, they aren't going to the play getting mowed down in 3 pitches. Really is one of the oddest offensive funks I've ever seen.

Pumping sunshine here, but most of our bad hitting this tourney has been against really good pitching...

the flip side is that some of it has been against really bad pitching, which I hope was just some sort of mindfuck we had coming off of facing Wolf and whatnot. Maybe we hate this ballpark. Maybe Dinesh Patel sent some hookers to their rooms this week and they aren't focused. Fuck if I know. 

Texas so far thru 3 games in the tournament (25 innings at the plate):

8 runs

24 walks (.370 OBP) to 38 strikeouts 

13 hits (.160 AVG)

Their OBP is 210 points higher than their average, again one of the weirdest offensive funks I've ever seen. Texas has had 40 base runners this weekend which is 1.6 an inning and have only scored 8 runs...

Against OU Zach Zubia (the only guy who seemingly could get a hit) went 3-5... Both times he didn't get a hit were with the bases loaded and both resulted in a strikeout. I don't know what you believe in but there has definitely been some flat out odd and unlucky things happen to this team offensively this week.

Elite teams don't struggle to hit the ball against the 2nd worst team in the conference when their pitching staffs are spent.  Totally unacceptable, shitty home plate ump aside.  Terrible effort.

If the concept of sample size is too difficult, I’d suggest finding a different sport to follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Texas so far thru 3 games in the tournament (25 innings at the plate):

8 runs

24 walks (.370 OBP) to 38 strikeouts 

13 hits (.160 AVG)

Their OBP is 210 points higher than their average, again one of the weirdest offensive funks I've ever seen. Texas has had 40 base runners this weekend which is 1.6 an inning and have only scored 8 runs...

Against OU Zach Zubia (the only guy who seemingly could get a hit) went 3-5... Both times he didn't get a hit were with the bases loaded and both resulted in a strikeout. I don't know what you believe in but there has definitely been some flat out odd and unlucky things happen to this team offensively this week.

Plus, you know, we're 2-1 with that 2nd win coming against the team that handed us our opening loss.

I wasn't joking when I said 2 runs would probably win this game. 2 runs would have won the last game. It would have gotten us into extra innings tonight. Thats just how this team operates. We are as hard as if not harder to score on than any team in the country. We just don't consistently light it up hitting-wise. It's plain as day watching these game and seeing the lines that some of the other team's best hitters have and yet none of those teams won 40 games and are going to - without a doubt - be seeded as the top team in the conference. Our pitching and defense is just that good. 

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

Pumping sunshine here, but most of our bad hitting this tourney has been against really good pitching...

the flip side is that some of it has been against really bad pitching, which I hope was just some sort of mindfuck we had coming off of facing Wolf and whatnot. Maybe we hate this ballpark. Maybe Dinesh Patel sent some hookers to their rooms this week and they aren't focused. Fuck if I know. 

Yeah we hate this ballpark. We just suck at it. These red flags mean nothing 

• Fuck You 4

1 hour ago, chase25 said:

Well it is also baseball and while some look to have a positive outlook and for a reason to move on to the next game, others like you tend to the exact opposite "expect the worst hope for the best" coping mechanism. So if the team loses you can say you were right and if they win well hey they proved you wrong, win-win.

The hitting has been atrocious since the start of the tournament and even with the last 3 games at the plate they are still hitting .280 as a team with a .396 OBP. In other words they can hit they just for whatever reason have looked absolutely sick the last 3 games. Oddly enough and maybe coincidentally I'm not sure, their 6 worst offensive performances this season have come on neutral field.

The 2018 team had 3 runs on 10 hits and went 0-2 in the tourney so this Texas team can very much win a regional. The two have no correlation so I don't know why you brought them up.

In some odd way winning two games in which you combine for 8 hits and strikeout 31 times in 16 innings is impressive because their aren't many teams out there could win with that poor of an offensive showing. They have walked 24 times over the last 3 games. There are positives, they aren't going to the plate getting mowed down in 3 pitches. Really is one of the oddest offensive funks I've ever seen.

In some odd way winning two games in which you combine for 8 hits and strikeout 31 times in 16 innings is impressive because their aren't many teams out there could win with that poor of an offensive showing.

no 

• Fuck You 4