Big 12 Tournament Thread

Horny Bull

44 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Yeah we hate this ballpark. We just suck at it. These red flags mean nothing 

I guess. But for most of the season we have been pretty good offensively. If there were red flags why wouldn't they be waving during the other 50+ games? Riddle me that.

So I am not really sure what to make of it. We have hit these very teams just a few weeks ago.

We'll see what it all means. Maybe we just found a very bad time to get really cold, but cold streaks like hot streaks can end suddenly. Or maybe our hitters got scouted and they just happened to find glaring weak spots all at once. Or just coincidentally all these pitchers just happened to have career games at once. So what is most likely? Probably the really cold thing.

But, you know, Texas Tech is one of the best teams in the country and they scored just four runs while giving up 14 in two games yesterday. West Virginia is a really good hitting club but they also only scored four runs in two games. Sometimes shit happens.

Edited by Valmy77

Guest Lobo
13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

As an aside, the fact that all of today's games are on ESPN+ sucks.

Whatever that streaming link posted last night was, it worked great.  It was several seconds delayed from the stats tracker deal, but it was a nice signal that never stopped to buffer.  Came in great until our power went out at 10 o'clock.  

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Whatever that streaming link posted last night was, it worked great.  It was several seconds delayed from the stats tracker deal, but it was a nice signal that never stopped to buffer.  Came in great until our power went out at 10 o'clock.  

I have ESPN+ so it's not a problem, but for my older relatives who struggle mightily with anything streaming, it's been an issue. 

Guest Lobo

So if we beat Ok-State and K-State beats TCU in the morning games, we take 4 hours off and play Ok-State again at 7:30p  But if TCU beats KSU in the opening game today, we would play Ok-State again at 4:00p.  So it could be a very strange double-header if we don't play again until 7:30p.  I doubt anybody who pitches in the first game would be available for the night game version of that DH given the duration of that break.    Looks like rain won't be a factor today.  

42 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

Would this even be a conversation if the wv right fielder doesn’t rob Antico of a grand slam last night?

The number of strikeouts is very alarming, regardless.

This is why I said I hate this tournament.  I'm conflicted between thinking we should just go home and rest and try to exorcize these plate demons, or try to play through it and do our best to win it or at least notch another win or two for a respectable showing.  I suppose what we've done is respectable in terms of Ws, if not the actual performance.

Also, we're reaching the death march stage of the tournament.

Seeing some nice performances from the non-regular rotation might be a bright spot  . . . .

9 hours ago, wood said:

They don't like it because unless you have time out granted by the ump, once the pitcher starts his windup, the ball is still live afaik. They can easily just call a strike automatically if the batter abandons the box. If they don't, I don't understand why not.

I don't think the batters are actually stepping out of the box.  They step into the box close to the plate, and then mid windup, take a step away from the plate, but still on/inside the outer chalk of the batters box. That's why it's not an automatic strike or breaking any rules, but like the announcers said, even the umps don't like it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo

Go home and rest?  6 days off for a baseball team is bad, not good.  I'd rather get these shitty strikeouts out of our system in OKC rather than in regional play.  Because it seems like we have a lot of them to get out of our system.  I'm not terribly concerned with winning this title, but we have just looked befuddled in 4 of our last 6 games.  We gotta get some swings in and work this shit out.  I guess I'd rather take hacks against OSU twice today with very little on the line.  

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, immamac said:

Sorry guys I haven't been paying attention I will stream these games on the discord now that I've got some time to set it up

Yes, and for those of us who are awesomely smart at technology, could you please explain to everyone else what discord is and how to access the game streams?  I mean, I totally know everything about it...I just want to make sure you know what you're talking about to see if I can help in any way.  Thanks.  

treefiddy members only for discord - on the homepage on mobile it's at the bottom of the root forum or topic list view - you won't be able to see the page to link your account unless you are treefiddy.

Discord is a communications platform kinda like slack, but it allows for streaming, chat, voice chat etc. Right now really high velocity threads (like game threads) are synced to channels there, so on gameday instead of F5ing you just get the messages in realtime as they are posted. This season it will be bidirectional so you can type in chat there and it'll post here in real time. 

We stream the podcast there, the games that we are going to call (like orange and white), and games that are not on regular TV for members. 

I'm actually working on another streaming technology that I want to introduce and may just do away with discord entirely if I can get what I want to do done. I do however want to keep this "convenience" feature behind the very small paywall, it doesn't diminish the value of the rest of the site - just gets you extras.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The number of strikeouts is very alarming, regardless.

This is why I said I hate this tournament.  I'm conflicted between thinking we should just go home and rest and try to exorcize these plate demons, or try to play through it and do our best to win it or at least notch another win or two for a respectable showing.  I suppose what we've done is respectable in terms of Ws, if not the actual performance.

Also, we're reaching the death march stage of the tournament.

Seeing some nice performances from the non-regular rotation might be a bright spot  . . . .

Agreed on the strikeouts. Just seems like a lot doom and gloom when we were inches away from blowing them out.

Hopefully we get the bats going more today. Now that teams are digging deep into the bullpen maybe we can find our groove at the plate and build into next weekend 

Ks have been an issue all year but the offense has almost always used (needed?) walks to score runs... they're #1 in the b12 in BBs and #4 in Ks. It's not worth over thinking the 14 Ks yesterday when 6 of them were Melendez and Kennedy. That said, Melendez needs to find his confidence ASAP. Maybe slide him down in the order to ease the pressure

6 minutes ago, B00M said:

Ks have been an issue all year but the offense has almost always used (needed?) walks to score runs... they're #1 in the b12 in BBs and #4 in Ks. It's not worth over thinking the 14 Ks yesterday when 6 of them were Melendez and Kennedy. That said, Melendez needs to find his confidence ASAP. Maybe slide him down in the order to ease the pressure

Seems like during the season, it has been more "inopportune" strikeouts than the "gross" number of Ks, as indicated by your stats.

10Ks is a great day for Kumar Rocker.  Piling up double digit Ks in three consecutive games against not Kumar Rocker is . . . something  . . .  not good.  Wolf is a pretty fair quality pitcher, as is Carmichael, but last night was just woof.

Guest Lobo

40 minutes to play one inning?  What...the...fuck?  

Thankfully, it won't extrapolate out like this...but if it did...our first pitch would now be at 3:30p.  And if we won that one, our second game with OSU at 10:30p tonight.  

So yeah, Imma go buy some more beer.

10 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

So if Kolby can give us 6+ tomorrow for a win I'm guessing we throw out Johnny Allstaff for the 2nd game? Gordon/Southard/Shipley/McCoy/VY? 

I kinda want some 04(?) action where Maroul pitched a couple innings. I wanna see some crazy shit Stehly or Lance Ford on the bump today 

20 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I kinda want some 04(?) action where Maroul pitched a couple innings. I wanna see some crazy shit Stehly or Lance Ford on the bump today 

Decent performances from Eckhardt, Cobb, Gordon, etc. would be rather satisfactory.

2 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Decent performances from Eckhardt, Cobb, Gordon, etc. would be rather satisfactory.

Well that too but I mean I plan on getting stoned before first pitch. So yeah watching Lance Ford pitch would be highly entertaining. Your scenario would acceptable as well

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Well that too but I mean I plan on getting stoned before first pitch. So yeah watching Lance Ford pitch would be highly entertaining. Your scenario would acceptable as well

Let the bullpen play the field and hit as well. Might as well make a joke of it. Most of them played somewhere in high school when they weren’t pitching, there should be some level of skill present. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Let the bullpen play the field and hit as well. Might as well make a joke of it. Most of them played somewhere in high school when they weren’t pitching, there should be some level of skill present. 

Now we’re talking. 

11 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

The app is way better than most streaming apps. Plus you can watch previous games and shit. 

Ugh.  Disagree.  

Part of my problem is that I always cast to TV, which can be balky as hell with all of the espn streams, paid or otherwise.

They're bad enough in browser or app.

It does have a ton of content, though.

Perhaps comparing live streams to movies and tv shows is unfair.  But their service doesn't compare to Netflix or Prime.

Edited by TwiceHorn

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Ugh.  Disagree.  

Part of my problem is that I always cast to TV, which can be balky as hell with all of the espn streams, paid or otherwise.

They're bad enough in browser or app.

It does have a ton of content, though.

Yea, I'm only using their Apple TV app. It's reliable, great PQ, responsive, with a decent interface. Sound is only stereo for many streams, but that's pretty typical with sports. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Any idea who's on the mound for OSU today? It won't be Parker Scott, Justin Campbell or Bryce Osmond.  Could be Standlee, who we [sarcasm] hit really hard in that Sunday game in Stillwater [/sarcasm].

OkSt forum thinks Mitchell Stone (LHP, 6'9", 2.56) will start.  He started last Friday against NOrleans and did well.   Standlee was used in relief against NO.

OKSt's staff is getting healthy after injuries.   

3 minutes ago, torre said:

OkSt forum thinks Mitchell Stone (LHP, 6'9", 2.56) will start.  He started last Friday against NOrleans and did well.   Standlee was used in relief against NO.

OKSt's staff is getting healthy after injuries.   

Sounds easy to hit

But bar none, there's no better way to watch a game than the Channels app for ATV with an OTA broadcast. Best picture quality and sound, plus you get like a 2 hour buffer to rewind. Also has the least amount of delay and you can do shit like make a previous channel button to switch back and forth, which is rare for a streamer.