Redundant topics are dumb - just post gifs!!!

Cheeseweasel

17 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

in japan, at least when i was there, they didn't have traditional pharmacies like we do. you get the fucking meds from the doctor. 

which makes way too much sense.

but it also means that they probably lack the number of pharmacists to administer the shot. we have pharmacists on every corner. there, for meds, you go to the doc. 

Japan panel OKs letting dentists administer COVID-19 vaccines

A panel of experts appointed by the health ministry has approved a plan to allow dentists to administer COVID-19 vaccines if there are not enough doctors.

The plan comes amid concerns about possible shortages of doctors and nurses to carry out group vaccinations in major cities, with vaccinations for older people set to start in earnest as early as next month.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/04/24/national/japan-dentists-vaccinations-coronavirus/

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

also, full disclosure, i vacillated between moving the political posts to the cloak room formerly DT covid thread or editing them. i chose to edit them to remove the political content. once again, talk about the politics in the cloak room. some of those posts had decent content, but it was political in nature.

You overlooked OP's attempt to direct implicit praise a certain political figure.

This seems like good news:

Immunity may last longer than previously thought.

Washington U study finds clues to long-term COVID-19 immunity in survivors' bone marrow
Annika Merrilees May 24, 2021  
ST. LOUIS — Researchers here have discovered cells in the bone marrow of COVID-19 survivors that were still producing antibodies against the virus months after recovery, suggesting immunity may last far longer than once thought.

In a study released Monday in Nature, researchers show that among a group of 19 participants who previously had mild cases of COVID-19, 15 had antibody-producing cells in their bone marrow that target the virus that causes COVID-19.

“That’s strong evidence for long-lasting immunity,” said Ali Ellebedy, an associate professor at Washington University and senior author of the study.

The researchers took bone marrow samples from 18 participants seven to eight months after their initial infections. The cells were still found four months later in five participants who returned.

The researchers did not find the antibody-producing cells in a control group of 11 people who had never had the virus.

Ellebedy said Washington University researchers are also in the process of studying individuals who have been vaccinated.

The bone marrow work stemmed out of an ongoing study at Washington University, where researchers were tracking antibody levels in the blood of 77 participants, most of whom had mild cases of COVID-19. Their data showed antibody levels in the blood dropping quickly in the first few months of infection, then leveling, with still detectable amounts 11 months after infection.

The researchers acknowledged that the study only looked at the bone marrow of people who had mild cases of the virus, not those who had asymptomatic cases, or moderate or severe cases. And Ellebedy said that the age group of the participants was relatively young, so it is unclear whether an older group of individuals would have shown the same immune response. The participants ranged from 30 to 69 years old.

Dr. Sharon Frey, clinical director for St. Louis University’s Center for Vaccine Development, said scientists have suspected the presence of these cells, because they are found with other viruses, like influenza.

Still, said Frey, who was not involved in the study, the findings are positive, and exciting.

The body’s response to COVID-19 is complex, Frey said, and the cells are “just a piece of the overall immune response.” There are still many unknowns about how long the protection will last, and how protective they will be against different variants of the virus.

“It’s just a piece of the puzzle,” Frey said. “There’s a lot more work that needs to be done to research this aspect. A lot of that research is going to rely on the passage of time.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Deej said:

Japan panel OKs letting dentists administer COVID-19 vaccines

I want a doctor dentist, to take your picture

So I can look at you from inside as well

Edited by clapclapclap
I think I'm turning Japanese. I really think so.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So that's what's going on there...in Japan.  With those.....Japanese.  

Combo of a little hubris, new variant infections (UK and India) bad organization, vaccine shipment delays (that one not their fault), and one of the most densely populated countries in the world doing what they might be expected to do - infect.  Like India.  Very surprised it didn't happen last year, so this don't surprise me at all.

They're saying call off the Olympics.  Might have time to rescue it, but it doesn't seem like a good idea at all right now.  I'd recommend a slight change in plans.  Still have them but for instance this would be the diving competition:

Lifelong-dream-becoming-Olympic-diver-ac

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Thought that was going on for decades now?  Bodies in the Ganges?  More now I guess?

Yeah, but she was talking like it was just hundreds being dumped every single fucking night.

And turns out she was right that people were just dumping them everywhere.  It's pretty bad.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-57154564

Hundreds of corpses have been found floating in the river or buried in the sand of its banks. Those who live close to where they have washed up, in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh, fear they are Covid-19 victims.

India has been overwhelmed by a devastating second wave of the pandemic in recent weeks. It has recorded more than 25 million cases and 275,000 deaths, but experts say the real death toll is several times higher.

The bodies on the river banks, taken together with funeral pyres burning round-the-clock and cremation grounds running out of space, tell the story of a death toll unseen and unacknowledged in official data.

The BBC spoke to local reporters, officials, and eyewitnesses in some of the worst affected districts of Uttar Pradesh and found that behind the story of the floating bodies lies traditional beliefs, poverty, and a pandemic killing people at lightning speed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

On a different note, I've brought up before that I have some pretty serious misgivings about the way the pacific ocean countries are handling covid moving forward. 

I'm still really surprised at the lack of ability to manufacture vaccines, particularly in South Korea and Japan.

China, who the fuck knows.

Some of the others (Vietnam, etc.) are probably waiting to get vaccines from the US and Europe.

14 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I remember when a thread I started was NOT part of the CR. If I wanted to start it there I would have. Fuck, now my Surly legacy is having a CR Thread with over 1.5M views. 

It's like raising your kid and having them move to Oklahoma.

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo

Can we put a ban on people getting their Covid scientific news from Facebook in the first place?  

I don't get my science where I get bikini pics of old college girlfriends.  
Oh wait, I just had a great idea.  Hang on...

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, but she was talking like it was just hundreds being dumped every single fucking night.

And turns out she was right that people were just dumping them everywhere.  It's pretty bad.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-57154564

Damn.  In the same holy river everyone baths in.  Nice.  I knew it was having historic pollution issues BEFORE the pandemic, now this.  Peachy.  

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Can we put a ban on people getting their Covid scientific news from Facebook in the first place?  

I don't get my science where I get bikini pics of old college girlfriends.  
Oh wait, I just had a great idea.  Hang on...

It's just people posting articles, twatter links, and shit posting.  So exactly like here.  

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Facebook ends ban on posts claiming COVID-19 is man-made

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/facebook-ends-ban-posts-claiming-covid-19-man-made

Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

it's almost like there was some reason that people desperately wanted to cast blame to deflect and distract from our country's abject failure at appropriately managing covid until vaccine rollout started.

And that reason is no longer in office and on social media pumping up the disinformation.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

Guest Lobo
12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It's just people posting articles, twatter links, and shit posting.  So exactly like here.  

Excuse me, sir.  We are a much more refined and erudite user base.  

48 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The article I posted has nothing to do with "Scientific news from Facebook". The issue is Facebook / Media "Settling the Science" and "debunking" anything that doesn't fit their narrative. 

Biden Team Reportedly Shut Down Secretive Trump-Era Project Pursuing The Wuhan Lab-Leak Theory

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2021/05/26/biden-team-shut-down-secretive-trump-era-project-pursuing-the-wuhan-lab-leak-theory/?sh=4c514f777fdd

President Joe Biden’s administration shut down a clandestine State Department operation intended to prove the lab-based origins of Covid-19 over concerns about the work’s poor quality and its politicized, premature and selective use by Trump and his allies to blame the pandemic on China, according to CNN.  

• Fuck You 2

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

Biden Team Reportedly Shut Down Secretive Trump-Era Project Pursuing The Wuhan Lab-Leak Theory

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2021/05/26/biden-team-shut-down-secretive-trump-era-project-pursuing-the-wuhan-lab-leak-theory/?sh=4c514f777fdd

President Joe Biden’s administration shut down a clandestine State Department operation intended to prove the lab-based origins of Covid-19 over concerns about the work’s poor quality and its politicized, premature and selective use by Trump and his allies to blame the pandemic on China, according to CNN.  

Well yeah, but it's just ONE probe man.  Come on.....

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You should contribute to the thread if you have news related to Covid. 

with or without Politics?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Ah yes, totally non-partisan post that totally hasn't already been covered in the political thread where this was first posted.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/25/politics/biden-shut-down-trump-effort-coronavirus-chinese-lab/index.html

The existence of the State Department inquiry and its termination this spring by the Biden administration -- neither of which has been previously reported -- comes to light amid renewed interest in whether the virus could have leaked out of a Wuhan lab with links to the Chinese military. The Biden administration is also facing scrutiny of its own efforts to determine if the Chinese government was responsible for the virus.

Those involved in the previously undisclosed inquiry, which was launched last fall by allies of then-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, say it was an honest effort to probe what many initially dismissed: that China's biological weapons program could have had a greater role in the pandemic's origin in Wuhan, according to two additional sources.

But the inquiry quickly became mired in internal discord amid concerns that it was part of a broader politicized effort by the Trump administration to blame China and cherry-pick facts to prove a theory.

The decision to terminate the inquiry, which was run primarily out of the State Department's arms control and verification bureau, was made after Biden officials were briefed on the team's draft findings in February and March of this year, a State Department spokesperson said. Questions were raised about the legitimacy of the findings and the project was deemed to be an ineffective use of resources, explained a source familiar with the decision.

Sources involved in the Trump-era inquiry rejected criticisms over the quality of their work and told CNN their objective had been to examine scientific research and information from the US intelligence community which backed the lab leak theory and shone more light on how it could have emerged in the lab.

A day after CNN reported this story, the State Department disputed that it had shut down the Trump-era inquiry and instead said that its work had been completed. Several sources involved with the inquiry who spoke to CNN said it was their impression that there was more work to be done.

On Wednesday, Biden issued a statement that he has directed the US intelligence community to redouble its efforts in investigating the origins of the Covid-19 pandemic and report back to him in 90 days.

The TL:DR is that the pompeo-led "investigation" was not producing useful evidence and had a tendency to cherry-pick and misrepresent information to bolster their own unsupported claims. At least according to the state department.

Sounds familiar....

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

It's a news story. Sorry if it doesn't fit your narrative. Perhaps, you should be more introspective and realize that everything doesn't fit your narrow view.

Or keep being a cunt. That's on your conscience and soul, not mine.

you are such a fucking idiot. god help us all.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

• immamac changed the title to Covid-19 News

Montgomery County's testing positive rate for COVID-19 down to 5 percent

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/moco/news/article/Montgomery-County-s-testing-positive-rate-for-16205538.php

Montgomery County recorded a slight increase in active COVID-19 active cases Wednesday as well as confirmed three additional deaths.

The Montgomery County Public Health Department confirmed 40 new active COVID-19 cases bringing the total to 1,179. The county’s total case count is now 54,267. The county’s number of deaths increased to 311.

The death include a Porter woman in her 60s and two New Caney men both in their 80s. All were hospitalized with other medical conditions when they died.

Total hospitalizations dropped 10 to 47 with 13 of those patients in ICU. To date, 28,849 people have recovered.

The county’s testing positive rate dropped to 5 percent Wednesday as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

@immamac

@hayden_horn

Please just delete this thread. If the SOP for this site is to allow people to torpedo every thread they don't like so it gets moved to the CR and you allow that, that's fine. It's your site. But I don't want my threads in that fuckpit.

are you talking about the thread you originally titled 'Fauci's Folly: Covid-19 News (Please No Politics)' and then immediately started posting links to politics?

jesus fucking christ.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

@immamac

@hayden_horn

Please just delete this thread. If the SOP for this site is to allow people to torpedo every thread they don't like so it gets moved to the CR and you allow that, that's fine. It's your site. But I don't want my threads in that fuckpit.

This seems a bit, I can CR a thread with a funny title that fits everything I said about the title's subject in the now CRed thread but don't you dare CR my thread with posts doing the same thing! No offense, broham, but you lit the fuse from the getgo and then you're shocked it blew up on you. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

are you talking about the thread you originally titled 'Fauci's Folly: Covid-19 News (Please No Politics)' and then immediately started posting links to politics?

jesus fucking christ.

you clearly wanted to take this in a cloak room direction by stepping on and over the political line. the first was your obviously tongue in cheek name for the thread, and then continuing to take it in a political direction.

President Joe Biden’s administration shut down a clandestine State Department operation intended to prove the lab-based origins of Covid-19 over concerns about the work’s poor quality and its politicized, premature and selective use by Trump and his allies to blame the pandemic on China, according to CNN.  

this is not just a news story, and your goal in posting it was to obviously take this thread to politics and blaming biden for something. 

what non political discussion did you imagine would result from posting that couple lines of text? there is no way to take your story in a non-political direction. at all. and you're smart enough to know that. you were doing that on purpose. why?

• Cheeseweasel changed the title to Redundant topics are dumb - just post gifs!!!