EPL 2021-22

maninblack

On 4/22/2022 at 10:39 PM, shadow_operative said:

there's no thread for stuff like this, so i'll just share it here, and add that you could not pay me to be inside of that stadium (The Bombanera i think?). fuuuuuccckkkkk that.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CcpgWc_KE6A/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This was just about where I saw my first match in La Bombonera in 2007. I was supposed to the Super Clásico the month before, but the ticket agency I bought my ticket from got out bid, I believe, at the last minute and therefore the whole production of getting picked up from an apartment, driven to a drop-off point, getting on a bus, driving around the stadium area for about an hour on the bus, getting out and walking inside the fence where the connected people park their cars, then sitting on the curb right outside of the stadium before being told about halftime (3+ hours into our journey) that the tickets weren't coming, was a bit of a downer.

The game I finally got into followed a similar pattern, but without delays and with a stop for a choripan on the way in. Then after the game, we had to stay in our seats for nearly an hour while they allowed the wealthier people to leave safely so that they don't mix with the rif-raf in the general admission seats.

Used to pop in the stadium, or the gift shop, or the museum, or walk past it and explain the murals on the walls of that stadium and how they related to the history of the neighborhood... all the fucking time when giving my city tours.

On 4/23/2022 at 8:12 AM, Firemans4Horn said:

I toured the stadium in 2008 and went to a game. It’s a beautiful shithole. These are some pictures I took of their locker room. 

3336C439-B26D-42D3-840C-F94AC31D3A82.jpeg.bf5ba3145d0eff407c0dd96237beb98b.jpeg

In fairness, Riquelme was on loan that year for the clausura (first half of the year) when they went on a run and won the Copa Libertadores.

Got a photo with him in Ezeiza that year (or maybe 2007).

The stadium's poor people sections had a "window" for people to buy concessions... that window was simply two side-by-side cinder blocks removed out of a wall as well as the cinder block in the middle above where the two lower ones once touched each other. That allowed a plastic tray with hands on the side to flow through that space and then enough room for the cups of Coke on top.

I got quizzed by some guys asking whether I knew who the tattooed face (about as big as a grapefruit) was on one guy's belly fat. 

It was El D10S... Diego Armando Maradona. That was during a Libertadores match in 2008 when Boca had to win 3-0 to advance and my non-soccer fan English students had assured me earlier that day that If Boca needed to win 3-0, then it was settled. They were going to win 3-0. The refs would understand in advance and all payments would be made.

Boca won 3-0 and advanced.

I didn't get in until halftime, because arriving an hour before the match was not early enough for people sitting in La Doce (the barra brava of Boca... which was located directly opposite from the video above. Middle section, north end zone.) Police on horseback with batons in hand were making us line up against a wall before finally allowing us to advance toward the stadium 20+ minutes into the first half. 

We raced to the stadium and passed a bald guy with a bloody head on the ground, not moving, and he was wearing a vest that said "SEGURIDAD" ("Security"). We went past him hoping to get let into the stadium before any other security noticed that he was down a half a block back. We were held in another line until halftime, when they finally let us in.

"Soccer Culture" 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

This poster and the posters that "liked" this are so boringly predictable. Y'all should just move to London and become United supporters.

Ohhhhh shit, yaburnt son. 

says the guy that trots out the patented “rent free” tapout after Yola delivered a requested slapping to cheese. 

What a dipshit. 

8 hours ago, sidis said:

Dude. If you think, after having read my posts on this board for the last four or five years that I am remotely as emotionally invested as any of you, you need to take a break from all your Disney movies and pull your head out of your ass. I don’t own a single piece of Everton paraphernalia, nor have I been to a single one of their games. I couldn’t name the entire starting 11 right now. If you asked my daughters what Everton was, they would probably think it was the name of a band. I’m more emotional about Texas women’s tennis than I am about fucking everton soccer.

i just enjoy having a rooting interest in a sport I enjoy and didn’t want to be a bitch-made, bandwagon fan of a big 6 club. 

You’ve demonstrated you have that covered. All good. 

To me you’re the worst kind of “fan” on a message board. 

You have no real interest or stake in the team you “support “ but for some reason pop on and take shots at other teams and their fans. Because of that, who gives a fuck what you think?

• Hook 'Em 1

I always chuckle at the shots taken at anyone on here who becomes a fan of an EPL team. We're all bandwagoners in the US. We get the luxury of choice. Unless you spent significant time in the UK living in the area of the team you support, you're going to be a bandwagoner. The amusing part of his rant is very few of the board's Liverpool group were late comers to being fans and certainly not after they won a title. Jive's about the latest arrival and that was after attending a match over there. It's a very aggy line but I guess that goes with the territory. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 4/23/2022 at 11:49 PM, shnsajax said:

Still don’t understand he Lampard got any real managerial opportunities to begin with. Shit record with Derby, still gets a promotion to Chelsea, gets canned, and Everton eventually pick him up. Same logic had Untied pay $75million for Harry Fucking Maquire.

So clearly clueless

It's pretty funny calling the Liverpool supporters on this board bandwagoners, when most of us started following this team long before any of the recent success. I remember having to track down games on Fox Sports World back in 2002. Even highlights were hard to find. (Shoutout to Jeremy St. Louis!)

Admittedly our threads on match days do have lots of shit talking about the refereeing but the standard of officiating in the PL is abysmal. This is a widely-held opinion across every fan base and pundits; I regularly hear debates about the "refereeing crisis", and how to attract higher-quality officials on the neutral soccer podcasts I listen to. At least VAR has gotten marginally better in the last couple of seasons.

FWIW, I like hearing other fans' perspectives on their team and I think most of the posters on this board are good, including our resident Southampton and Everton fan.     

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, pied06 said:

To me you’re the worst kind of “fan” on a message board. 

You have no real interest or stake in the team you “support “ but for some reason pop on and take shots at other teams and their fans. Because of that, who gives a fuck what you think?

cool.

and while i'm devastated by your unwillingness to validate my fandom, i would take exception to the characterization of "pop on and take shots."  i suspect if you reviewed this thread for my posts, you will see virtually no shot-taking except for in response to others (mainly the idiot subset of liverpool fans). for example, in this little merseyside back and forth, my actual entrée en scène was two posts complaining about gordon's dive being pathetic, doucoure's attempted finish on a legit counter opportunity being pathetic, richarlison losing the benefit of the doubt due to constantly acting like a little bitch, observing that everton was making much greater effort in this game to be competitive than most this season, and lamenting the fact that while they played with solid midfield and defensive discipline in the first half, it sucked knowing that all it was going to take a few seconds of brilliance from salah or mane to extinguish any hope (which turned out to be exactly correct by the way).  that's called objectivity regardless of fandom.

to which cheeseweasel (who apparently hates everton more than he likes himself based on his obsessive posting in this thread) petulantly and unnecessarily lashed out and acted like a whiny bitch in response due to momentary frustration stemming from the game not going the way he wanted up to that point.  as if no one expected a team in relegation facing one of the top five clubs in the world at present to play cynically.  then we got served his shit on a plate by yola after asking for it, the rest of this liverpool board weakly attempted to pile on with some of the lamest, most predictable shit possible ("too much time on your hands," "rent-free," "eskimo bros.")

fwiw, the only team i have a real connection to is psg due to living there for years and attending lots of games in the shitty, pre-petro state vanity intervention days.  i connected with everton given their slightly american flavor and a desire to not just bandwagon on liverpool, united, or spurs like every other white yuppie in the united states.  and unfortunately, when a scumbag like moshiri took the majority stake, it is hard to muster any give a shit and outside for a couple of months early in the 2020 season, they just don't play enjoyable soccer to watch so no need to invest. i like watching good soccer...for example, even though liverpool's fans are seriously some of the whiniest and silliest of any group i have encountered, their team is a pleasure to watch right now because they have extraordinary talents at the top of their game and a coach who lets them shine. it is often beautiful soccer that i care to watch much more than i care about farhad moshiri's team wins or not.  that doesn't mean it isn't hilarious when klopp often acts like a fucking clown or their fans out aggy the aggies or that i give a shit about your assessment of my fandom.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, sidis said:

cool.

and while i'm devastated by your unwillingness to validate my fandom, i would take exception to the characterization of "pop on and take shots."  i suspect if you reviewed this thread for my posts, you will see virtually no shot-taking except for in response to others (mainly the idiot subset of liverpool fans). for example, in this little merseyside back and forth, my actual entrée en scène was two posts complaining about gordon's dive being pathetic, doucoure's attempted finish on a legit counter opportunity being pathetic, richarlison losing the benefit of the doubt due to constantly acting like a little bitch, observing that everton was making much greater effort in this game to be competitive than most this season, and lamenting the fact that while they played with solid midfield and defensive discipline in the first half, it sucked knowing that all it was going to take a few seconds of brilliance from salah or mane to extinguish any hope (which turned out to be exactly correct by the way).  that's called objectivity regardless of fandom.

to which cheeseweasel (who apparently hates everton more than he likes himself based on his obsessive posting in this thread) petulantly and unnecessarily lashed out and acted like a whiny bitch in response due to momentary frustration stemming from the game not going the way he wanted up to that point.  as if no one expected a team in relegation facing one of the top five clubs in the world at present to play cynically.  then we got served his shit on a plate by yola after asking for it, the rest of this liverpool board weakly attempted to pile on with some of the lamest, most predictable shit possible ("too much time on your hands," "rent-free," "eskimo bros.")

fwiw, the only team i have a real connection to is psg due to living there for years and attending lots of games in the shitty, pre-petro state vanity intervention days.  i connected with everton given their slightly american flavor and a desire to not just bandwagon on liverpool, united, or spurs like every other white yuppie in the united states.  and unfortunately, when a scumbag like moshiri took the majority stake, it is hard to muster any give a shit and outside for a couple of months early in the 2020 season, they just don't play enjoyable soccer to watch so no need to invest. i like watching good soccer...for example, even though liverpool's fans are seriously some of the whiniest and silliest of any group i have encountered, their team is a pleasure to watch right now because they have extraordinary talents at the top of their game and a coach who lets them shine. it is often beautiful soccer that i care to watch much more than i care about farhad moshiri's team wins or not.  that doesn't mean it isn't hilarious when klopp often acts like a fucking clown or their fans out aggy the aggies or that i give a shit about your assessment of my fandom.

You go out on a limb saying that you're objective by saying that a team in the relegation zone sucks.  I mean that is some GREAT objectivity.  We should all take a lesson in that.  That is a real objective observation.

Then you think your rival fanbase is whiny?  WOW, who would guess that?!?  Groundbreaking stuff!  Then call them "aggy" because of course you're objective and the other fans aren't, just like Texas fans are clearly always objective.

Then the old soapbox of "_________ fans are all bandwagoners, I'm better than that....".  That is so tired, and just an excuse to make yourself feel better.

I guess it's awesome you like you to support a team and talk about it even though you find it important to tell everyone that you can't name the starting 11 because I guess that makes you more objective or something?  Very cool story.

10 minutes ago, pied06 said:

You go out on a limb saying that you're objective by saying that a team in the relegation zone sucks.  I mean that is some GREAT objectivity.  We should all take a lesson in that.  That is a real objective observation.

Then you think your rival fanbase is whiny?  WOW, who would guess that?!?  Groundbreaking stuff!  Then call them "aggy" because of course you're objective and the other fans aren't, just like Texas fans are clearly always objective.

Then the old soapbox of "_________ fans are all bandwagoners, I'm better than that....".  That is so tired, and just an excuse to make yourself feel better.

I guess it's awesome you like you to support a team and talk about it even though you find it important to tell everyone that you can't name the starting 11 because I guess that makes you more objective or something?  Very cool story.

real talk...are you over the age of twelve? i really feel your intensity when you all-caps your emphatic phrases and your subtle sarcasm is reminiscent of twain.

i can't believe i let you induce me into a derka-style post on here.

fuck me.  i'll have to own the L on this one.  enjoy the rest of the season...

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

real talk...are you over the age of twelve? i really feel your intensity when you all-caps your emphatic phrases and your subtle sarcasm is reminiscent of twain.

i can't believe i let you induce me into a derka-style post on here.

fuck me.  i'll have to own the L on this one.  enjoy the rest of the season...

you too!

0-0 FT

Leeds is now 5 points clear of Everton, but Everton has a game in hand.

16. LEE (33) 34 pts -31 GD

17. BUR (33) 31 pts -16 GD

18. EVE (32) 29 pts -21 GD

19. WAT (33) 22 pts

20. NOR (33) 21 pts

Leeds has that horrible goal differential, so they can’t play for finishing even. Every draw helps. 

The Fighting Jesse Marsches!

• Hook 'Em 1

Leeds run-in is pretty daunting too..

City (h), Arsenal (a), Chelsea (h), Brighton (h), Brentford (a)

pretty conceivable they will be sitting on 34 points still with 2 matches left.

--of course i was the same guy that mused 4 match weeks ago if Newcastle was really out of trouble and now they are in 9th place.

Wild that Burnley and Villa play each other twice in two weeks (May 7 and May 19) and that Villa may well find themselves dangerously close to the relegation zone. They've taken just one point from the last 15 available. Stevie G not exactly polishing his resumé with the way they've played since he took over.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

Wild that Burnley and Villa play each other twice in two weeks (May 7 and May 19) and that Villa may well find themselves dangerously close to the relegation zone. They've taken just one point from the last 15 available. Stevie G not exactly polishing his resumé with the way they've played since he took over.

Yet another interesting twist to this season. Stevie G helping/hurting Everton's relegation fight. Popcorn!

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4650984/english-football-set-for-radical-shake-up-amid-uk-government-intervention

English football set for radical shake-up amid UK government intervention
Apr 25, 2022
Reuters

The British government will establish an independent regulator in English football to deal with the game's finances, club ownership and corporate governance, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) said on Monday.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

The British government will establish an independent regulator in English football to deal with the game's finances, club ownership and corporate governance, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) said on Monday.

*Except for Oil money. We're fine with that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, 406W30th said:

Look at the clubs managed by Englishmen. They suck, because English managers suck. 

None of the teams with any money, other than Everton 😂, want anything to do with an English manager. 

The English may like to throw out the Ted Lasso shit, but the English are worse. 

The EPL is likely the only league in. Central & Western Europe without a domestic manager in charge of a club in the top 7. English managers are trash.

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Look at the clubs managed by Englishmen. They suck, because English managers suck. 

None of the teams with any money, other than Everton 😂, want anything to do with an English manager. 

The English may like to throw out the Ted Lasso shit, but the English are worse. 

The EPL is likely the only league in. Central & Western Europe without a domestic manager in charge of a club in the top 7. English managers are trash.

Tell us how you really feel.

Hard to argue tbh. The most successful English-born managers of the last two decades are all dinosaurs: Tony Pulis, Sam Allardyce, Sean Dyche, Harry Redknapp, etc.  Graham Potter is probably the best English manager in the PL right now but he hasn't been able to crack the top half of the table just yet. Eddie Howe was supposed to be the next big thing, and while he's doing well lately at Newcastle, it's hard to see him sticking around once they start splashing the cash on big name players.

The biggest issue with English managers is the unwillingness to adopt the modern styles of play that have proven to lead to results in the long term. Just look at the national team and the bunker mentality they play with. Almost every English manager refuses to be expansive and creative with their teams style of play.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

used to be that a ManU/Chelsea match was must see TV with lots of posts, even if it was a weekday match.  today?  not so much.

no real implications. Chelsea has had 3rd place locked up for months and United has a coach that doesn’t want to coach them, players that don’t want to play, and fans that don’t want to watch. 

• Haha 1

Pointy end of the season time, should be a good bunch of matches this weekend.

If Burnley beat Watford (who've lost 10 straight at home) they'll be 5 points ahead of Everton, who'll have to stew on that for 24 hours before hosting Chelsea on Sunday.

I don't think anyone expects Leeds to give Man City much trouble but they're pretty desperate for points as they hover just above the relegation zone. 

Liverpool visits Newcastle who are somehow in the top half of the table. Their January signings have proven to be really good buys, though Liverpool could say the same. 

• Hook 'Em 1