the USFL is back

Sandman

11 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I’m speaking no ill will of the black cats but of the USFL. My grandmother lived across the street from the old Mexia high school and she’d take us to a Friday night game once or twice, and in the summer I’d go watch ball practice and then walk to the Dairy Queen at the end of the street for a dipped cone.

Ahh I went there when it was a middle school at one time. Many moons back. I’ve since heard it’s a museum or so. 

15 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I watched the highlights.  There’s no way this league is back next year at all, no one is at these games.  Then it seems the NFL is more partnered with the XFL now also, Rock was at a NFL game every few weeks pumping the XFL. 

USFL has a partnership with the NFL as well. There are a decent amount of fans in the Birmingham Stadium. Also, fuck getting rid of this. We need these development leagues for guys that were overlooked for the NFL or for guys who know they can't get into the NFL but want to keep playing. I for one enjoy watching. 

• Like 1

Oklahoma Outlaws? Not sure where they’d play. Gaylord Stadium is too big, these leagues seem to be against nice high school stadiums. I guess Chapman Stadium at Tulsa? It has a nice modern press box and some classic architecture but overall isn’t anything special. Oh wait, these teams mostly don’t play for home crowds. I guess they think a bunch of ou t shirt fans are gonna get excited to follow a semi pro team branded Oklahoma that plays in Memphis? Nah, just let the XFL do it’s thing, it has the best chance at long term survival which is still slim in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Oklahoma Outlaws? Not sure where they’d play. Gaylord Stadium is too big, these leagues seem to be against nice high school stadiums. I guess Chapman Stadium at Tulsa? It has a nice modern press box and some classic architecture but overall isn’t anything special. Oh wait, these teams mostly don’t play for home crowds. I guess they think a bunch of ou t shirt fans are gonna get excited to follow a semi pro team branded Oklahoma that plays in Memphis? Nah, just let the XFL do it’s thing, it has the best chance at long term survival which is still slim in my opinion.

I think an XFL team in Chapman would sell out on a regular basis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Colt McCoy is doing the color commentary for the broadcast team right now on USA Network for the Gamblers-Maulers game right now. 

Thought that was pretty cool.

Just came to post this, he's doing really well. Still under contract with the Cardinals too

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was rooting for NOLA for Johnnie Dixon. I don’t really care about Michigan but Marcus Baugh was on the team so I was rooting for him. I guess I’m rooting for Pittsburgh tonight because fuck Birmingham. Going 2-0 in title games would suck. Spread it around. 

15 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Field goals aren’t going to cut it, Maulers.

Let’s see what else is on…

You missed a scoop and score... That was an illegal forward hand-off... 

So they will probably get another FG

I hardly watch it, as with XFL. I might be more interested if they didn't replay games so often, so that I automatically assume any game on the grid is a replay of a game I never gave a rat's ass about in the first place. So I tend to skip them, so I don't develop any affiliation.

USFL is probably slightly better quality than XFL, but it still has no character. There's no real regionality, no local fans that care, very few recognizable players you might like to follow that might have potential to move up. The NFL now has more futures prospect guys locked up that aren't eligible, so the pickings are slim. Coaches are pretty much old second rate has-beens or never-been rejects. The style of play is pretty bland. It has none of the appeal of the original USFL, which was pretty awesome for a couple of years. It's kind of stupid to call it the USFL. They share very little in common.

I'd rather watch a flag football league of retired NFL and big name ex college players that were famous but didn't quite work out in the NFL. Really, even arena football was more entertaining.

• Like 1

The USFL has announced that they will be back for a 3rd season and has hinted that they'll be in their teams markets so maybe we'll finally see teams host home games that aren't just the Michigan Panthers, Birmingham Stallions or the Memphis Showboats. I honestly like the USFL and so do my parents. It puts out decent football for most of its games and has a lot of potential to be huge especially with all the drone and player helmet cameras which I think is an awesome way to show a closer in depth play of the game. As for big time players, @DougO I understand where you're coming from with recognizable players, as there aren't very many from the college standpoint. There however are a good amount of them if you also watch the CFL. One thing I do love about this league and the XFL is that most of the players on the rosters are guys from G5, D2 and D3 teams that never got television exposure so this league allows them to showcase what they can do. 

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

The USFL has announced that they will be back for a 3rd season and has hinted that they'll be in their teams markets so maybe we'll finally see teams host home games that aren't just the Michigan Panthers, Birmingham Stallions or the Memphis Showboats. I honestly like the USFL and so do my parents. It puts out decent football for most of its games and has a lot of potential to be huge especially with all the drone and player helmet cameras which I think is an awesome way to show a closer in depth play of the game. As for big time players, @DougO I understand where you're coming from with recognizable players, as there aren't very many from the college standpoint. There however are a good amount of them if you also watch the CFL. One thing I do love about this league and the XFL is that most of the players on the rosters are guys from G5, D2 and D3 teams that never got television exposure so this league allows them to showcase what they can do. 

I definitely check into CFL far more than these leagues. Aside from people we've heard of, they have their own established stars and competitive traditions, some sense of each team being a continuing entity and individual fan bases and loyalties.

12 hours ago, DougO said:

I definitely check into CFL far more than these leagues. Aside from people we've heard of, they have their own established stars and competitive traditions, some sense of each team being a continuing entity and individual fan bases and loyalties.

I watch CFL, but I also enjoy XFL and USFL only because I have friends from college that play in those leagues. Always nice to see former colleagues and classmates doing well and getting a chance to show their skills since my undergrad was a D2 college at the time and our kids never got tv exposure except for the playoffs. 

I am a huge fan of the D2 level of football, but I’ve got serious questions about the USFL for other reasons. Given what we know about CTE and other long-term issues caused by football, the NFL is barely OK because even minimum salaries are far above average for the U.S. and they are getting better at continuing health coverage for former players. It’s not enough though. 

USFL max salary is 74K a year. That’s not near enough for what a season of college-level or above football does to a body. It’s nice to get the dream story but the vast majority of these guys really need the “it’s over” message. Start your career and post-football life. This isn’t the baseball minors, the toll you are taking is just unreal and the likely payoff isn’t worth it. In the new era of transfers and with 7 draft rounds, UDFA, practice squads, the CFL….The NFL will find you if you belong there. 

I have long thought that the smart play for most G5 or below players with a scholarship is to do enough to maintain your cash while trying to save your body and get the best degree you can. 

11 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I am a huge fan of the D2 level of football, but I’ve got serious questions about the USFL for other reasons. Given what we know about CTE and other long-term issues caused by football, the NFL is barely OK because even minimum salaries are far above average for the U.S. and they are getting better at continuing health coverage for former players. It’s not enough though. 

USFL max salary is 74K a year. That’s not near enough for what a season of college-level or above football does to a body. It’s nice to get the dream story but the vast majority of these guys really need the “it’s over” message. Start your career and post-football life. This isn’t the baseball minors, the toll you are taking is just unreal and the likely payoff isn’t worth it. In the new era of transfers and with 7 draft rounds, UDFA, practice squads, the CFL….The NFL will find you if you belong there. 

I have long thought that the smart play for most G5 or below players with a scholarship is to do enough to maintain your cash while trying to save your body and get the best degree you can. 

USFL and XFL players get free health care and are fully covered. I know the XFL also houses players in Arlington that need a place to live. 

21 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

USFL and XFL players get free health care and are fully covered. I know the XFL also houses players in Arlington that need a place to live. 

It’s the after-sports care to worry about. The NFL isn’t very good at this, like I said, after 5 years a vested player is on the hook for premiums and is also likely to be full of pre-existing conditions. I can’t imagine these leagues are more generous. 

It’s OK to like it, we can disagree. I just really do think these guys aren’t getting near enough for what they are risking and the dream that’s being sold is unlikely to work out. For most of them the far smarter move is to start your post-sports career if you aren’t on an NFL roster. 

20 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s the after-sports care to worry about. The NFL isn’t very good at this, like I said, after 5 years a vested player is on the hook for premiums and is also likely to be full of pre-existing conditions. I can’t imagine these leagues are more generous. 

It’s OK to like it, we can disagree. I just really do think these guys aren’t getting near enough for what they are risking and the dream that’s being sold is unlikely to work out. For most of them the far smarter move is to start your post-sports career if you aren’t on an NFL roster. 

Some of the guys in this league and the XFL know they won't make it to the NFL or get back, but they just want to keep playing. Nothing wrong with that. 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Hell, merge the teams together, call them the Roughnecks and re-birth the Denver Gold.

As a kid in Memphis I grew up with the WFL and took my son to USFL games. Loved spring football, but the those teams had great players poached from the nfl. These are a collection of guys who can’t make it as a back up, special teams ace, or practice squad player. Many have already washed out and are just playing ball instead of moving on. It’s only shown to be developmental for kickers and returners.