Other NCAA Regionals Thread

WBT

Straight out of the mlb rule book:

An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, orfirst, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.

When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare "Infield Fly" for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near thebaselines, the umpire shall declare "Infield Fly, if Fair."The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hitbecomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly fallsuntouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly.

Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment: On the infield fly rule the umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder-not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire's judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder. Theinfield fly is in no sense to be considered an appeal play. The umpire's judgment must govern, and thedecision should be made immediately.

When an infield fly rule is called, runners may advance at their own risk. If on an infield fly rule, the infielder intentionally drops a fair ball, the ball remains in play despite the provisions of Rule 6.05(l). The infield fly rule takes precedence.

22 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

astro16_top.jpeg.5bdccfbbe64083603bdc247bc0f4b6b3.jpeg

Did you ever see a baseball game at the Astrodome?  I saw quite a few.

See the white line arc, beyond the bases, from foul line to foul line?  That's the infield fly line.

I know the infield fly rule is somewhat ambiguous, and there's endless arguments about just where/who/how it should be used or exist at all, but at the dome, this was the visual reference that was used to determine the infield fly rule.  There are some who interpret the rule to mean just the square inside the basepaths, and others who say it includes the entire outfield, despite its name.

This wasn't the only baseball stadium that had this white arc just beyond the bases. Sometimes it was a grass line, but often it wasn't because of design preferences or using artificial surfaces.

Nope.

• Hook 'Em 1

See the white line arc, beyond the bases, from foul line to foul line?  That's the infield fly line.

I know the infield fly rule is somewhat ambiguous, and there's endless arguments about just where/who/how it should be used or exist at all, but at the dome, this was the visual reference that was used to determine the infield fly rule.  There are some who interpret the rule to mean just the square inside the basepaths, and others who say it includes the entire outfield, despite its name.

This wasn't the only baseball stadium that had this white arc just beyond the bases. Sometimes it was a grass line, but often it wasn't because of design preferences or using artificial surfaces.
Lol
f3b30f3146861f8021dc395ca0cc0e86.gif

LSU ties it on a grounder to 1B.  Play at the plate under review but he pretty clearly looked safe.  

Oregon should have taken the out at 1st.  Now the go ahead run's at 1st with 1 out.

1 hour ago, BachelorTrek said:

200.gif

• Haha 1

Here to eat crow (or is it Nutria?) on LSU.  Said they didn't belong in the post season.

Gritty shit up there in Duck country.  Hat is off.  They were the epitome of meh all season, but they love their coach and appear to have found a different gear for him.  Well deserved too.  Mainierie is a good man and a good coach.

Well done Tigers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, txhorns said:

Ump started squeezing the Nebraska pitchers big time.

They threw like 12 balls in a row^ before the HR.  It was crazy.

I don't like the pity strike in that situation.

Make a pitch.  or don't.  It was a 2 out rally from hell, but Corn gifted it to them too.

*slight exaggeration 

Edited by slorch

6 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

I hate LSU, but screw Phil Knight, the college sports Antichrist.  And karma for Oregon's always terrible uniforms.  LSU gonna win one for the Uyghurs.

Not to mention they’re on our side of the bracket. I know they’re not a top 5 team or anything this year, but beating them in the winners bracket then having em sent home by the Irish would be awesome 

I don't understand why we need the Ol Dirty University and Wahoo game to go final to set the SR schedule. It is pretty clear either of those will host over DBU and they are both in VA so grant the time slots you would and then pick the site at the conclusion of the game.

Edited by Pimphand
Ousux

Guest Lobo

Schedule is mostly set.  Go to the NCAA CWS twitter page on google.  We're Saturday & Sunday at 8:00p-CDT.  Monday, if necessary, would most likely be at 3:00p.  

Our whole side of the bracket is Sat-Sun-Mon, FWIW.  Don't always see that.  I presume, DBU v. ODU/UVA winner will also follow that format.  

ODU pushes across an unearned run in the top of the 6th.  Virginia finally breaks up ODU pitcher's perfect game with a 1-out double in the 6th and ODU immediately goes to the pen.  That manager has high standards I guess.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

ODU pushes across an unearned run in the top of the 6th.  Virginia finally breaks up ODU pitcher's perfect game with a 1-out double in the 6th and ODU immediately goes to the pen.  That manager has high standards I guess.

Pitch count thing from earlier in the regional? Haven't been following that one, but lots of managers will let a guy keep going if he's got a perfect game and no-hitter going and then yank him as soon as that's over. Lots of times they'll let them go too long in those situations (in terms of arm health).

Yeah, I assume it's because of use earlier in the regional.  I haven't been playing close attention but he may have started Friday night and be going on 3 days rest.  They brought in their closer with a 1.57 ERA and he stranded the runner.  I assume they're going to try to ride him to the finish.

Nebraska just shit all down their leg, all over the bed, all over the pillows, all over the carpet, probably even got on the curtains

Nebraska just ran out of arms, especially after having to come back and play one more game than Arkansas.  We needed a one day rain delay so our shortstop could pitch in the middle innings.  The Cornhuskers competed hard and overachieved this year (picked to be sixth in conference) but winning two out of three from #1 just wasn't in the cards.

Arkansas, on the other hand, didn't really hit worth shit during the whole regional.  Walks and wild pitches manufactured probably half or more of their runs.  It doesn't bode well for them going forward unless they wake up.

• Fuck You 2