2021 NBA Offseason Thread: Business as Usual? -- Trades/Free Agency/Retirements/Etc.

Patrick Bateman

12 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So much for Wiseman being the guy to bridge the Steph/Dray/Klay era with the next era.

But a lineup of Steph, Klay, Wiggins, Dray, and Siakam would be salty as fuck defensively with plenty of offensive firepower.

Maybe so, but Siakim's numbers would tank completely and everyone would be asking what is wrong with him.   

7 minutes ago, d2o said:

Maybe so, but Siakim's numbers would tank completely and everyone would be asking what is wrong with him.   

I don't know, when Boogie actually did play in 2019 (30 games), he still averaged 16 and 8 in 26 minutes a game. Despite being nowhere near 100% or in shape. During that time, they had 4 guys contributing about 90 points a night. No reason to think that they couldn't they couldn't do something similar with Siakim, who would fit their offense much more seamlessly that Boogie. Something like: Steph - 27; Klay - 22; Wiggins - 18; Siakim - 20.

Siakim would get some of the easiest baskets of his life and would only shot 3's when he's wide ass open.

41 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I would like to see Dame on the Celtics.  Wonder if they could trade Marcus Smart, Tristan Thompson and a BOAT LOAD of picks to Portland for Dame.

Gonna cost Brown....  unless Portland is run by mindless morons (possible), but don’t think anything without Brown and a ton of other assets is gonna get it done.  Maybe Williams, brown, and a ton of other assets 

19 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I don't know, when Boogie actually did play in 2019 (30 games), he still averaged 16 and 8 in 26 minutes a game. Despite being nowhere near 100% or in shape. During that time, they had 4 guys contributing about 90 points a night. No reason to think that they couldn't they couldn't do something similar with Siakim, who would fit their offense much more seamlessly that Boogie. Something like: Steph - 27; Klay - 22; Wiggins - 18; Siakim - 20.

Siakim would get some of the easiest baskets of his life and would only shot 3's when he's wide ass open.

Unless there’s a huge trade exception and the Warriors want to pay a huge tax bill, gotta think Wiggins has to go in the deal for money purposes.  So what’s the Raptors appetite for Wiggins?  Usiri is metrics based so he probably hates Wiggins, in that case, may take a 3rd team.

18 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Unless there’s a huge trade exception and the Warriors want to pay a huge tax bill, gotta think Wiggins has to go in the deal for money purposes.  So what’s the Raptors appetite for Wiggins?  Usiri is metrics based so he probably hates Wiggins, in that case, may take a 3rd team.

Stop, I can only get so erect.

If they can somehow stop paying Wiggins to play basketball for them and get Siakim while only losing one of their own picks (Wiseman), they'll be completely redeemed for what have been some pretty shit personnel moves from Nick Young until now.

Pairing Lillard and Curry in the same backcourt makes no sense to me.  Neither are considered even average defenders and both are undersized. I just don't see that working defensively. And on offense, Lillard is so ball dominant. We know Curry can play in a more egalitarian system, but can Dame?

The other thing about Lillard is that he took every penny possible from Portland. Granted, that's his right and prerogative but you shouldn't get to bitch about your franchise not assembling a supporting cast when you have the biggest contract in the league and are gobbling up a disproportionate amount of the cap. Lillard is owed $204 million total after this season including $54 million in 2024-25 when he will be 34 years old. For comparison, that's $10 million more than Anthony Davis is signed for in 2024-25 and $6 million more than Giannis is signed for that year. AD and Giannis will be 31 and 30 then, respectively. That's a fucking albatross of a contract for a guy about to hit the downside of his career who hasn't proven that he's good enough to be a number 1 player on a championship team.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Pairing Lillard and Curry in the same backcourt makes no sense to me.  Neither are considered even average defenders and both are undersized. I just don't see that working defensively. And on offense, Lillard is so ball dominant. We know Curry can play in a more egalitarian system, but can Dame?

The other thing about Lillard is that he took every penny possible from Portland. Granted, that's his right and prerogative but you shouldn't get to bitch about your franchise not assembling a supporting cast when you have the biggest contract in the league and are gobbling up a disproportionate amount of the cap. Lillard is owed $204 million total after this season including $54 million in 2024-25 when he will be 34 years old. For comparison, that's $10 million more than Anthony Davis is signed for in 2024-25 and $6 million more than Giannis is signed for that year. AD and Giannis will be 31 and 30 then, respectively. That's a fucking albatross of a contract for a guy about to hit the downside of his career who hasn't proven that he's good enough to be a number 1 player on a championship team.

If I had to guess, I'd bet the Dame to GS rumors don't go any deeper than, "Hey, he's from Oakland!" 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Stop, I can only get so erect.

If they can somehow stop paying Wiggins to play basketball for them and get Siakim while only losing one of their own picks (Wiseman), they'll be completely redeemed for what have been some pretty shit personnel moves from Nick Young until now.

HA!!!!  I get it.  But it would probably be something like Siakam/Baynes for Wiggins/Wiseman, 2021 #7 and maybe a couple more picks including #14 too.  I think you'd have to pay someone (at least a little something) to take Wiggins contract.  I doubt the Raptors want him, but I've been surprised before.

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I dont like how the question was asked.    And while I dont think Phil's decision to have Kukoc take that last shot was racist, Phil has MANY questionable opinions about black players that he has made known over the yrs.

• Like 1

Yeah people struggle to reconcile the dissonance that takes place when people have good, often loving, and respectful relationships with black individuals yet exhibit racist views towards blacks as a whole or as a demographic group. Shit, even David Duke loved his black nanny growing up.  People are complicated. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

After five minutes of exhaustive Internet research, I learned that Scottie Barnes and Kuminga have supposedly looked good at the combine in regards to their jump shots. If true, that lays quite the thirst trap for teams being that those two have the most NBA ready bodies of the draft.  

Will someone reach for the two of them at the expense of Mobley or Suggs?

So- this deal makes complete sense to me:

Dame to Philly for Simmons, Thybul or shake (whoever Portland likes best) and every pick you can give Portland. 

Portland gets out of Dames awful terrible horrible very bad contract (for them- he ain’t winning a title and they ain’t winning a title with him on the books for 50 million- yikes), and they get a potential franchise cornerstone guy, they get off the horrible defensive backcourt thing they have going and maybe they get lucky and Embiid gets hurt while Dame is older and they win the lotto once or twice with pick swaps or picks traded out. 
76ers have a legitimate window in the next 3 or 4 years where they are real title contenders. I’d call it in on both sides. 
Maybe I’m undervaluing Dame but of I was about 18 or 20 teams in the league I wouldn’t trade a conditional second rounder for him. We know what his ceiling is, it’s not remotely close

to best guy on a title team, and 50 million is a huge ducking impossibility to build a team that can win a title around. 
I only want Dame if he gets me into immediate title contention and is the missing piece for a title for me. 
I guess if I’m the Lakers I might sort of consider an AD deal for him (durability) guard is their weak spot, they have size without AD, I just don’t like/trust AD as my guy bc he’s never done it absent that goofy bubble deal, if I’m the clips I’ve got everyone other than Kawahi on the table, if I’m Boston I’m definitely dangling Jaylen Brown and stuff, if I’m Milwaukee I’m calling (they are so stupid not to get Paul last year but I digress), I have no idea if the knicks have anything that would interest them (my suspicion is no) and maybe New Orleans ( on Zion). They’ve got a ton of draft picks, Ingram would fit nice up in Portland etc. 

he doesn’t make sense on any other team to me if your goal is to win a title. 

Portland is basically where Okie City was a few years ago with the Westbrook/Paul George iteration.  They were good enough to be a 4/5 seed and a first round playoff exit into perpetuity.  They blew it up and started over with the draft picks.  Portland should prolly do the same and get as many picks as they can.

Allegedly, the Spurs might not think Becky Hammon is all that.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/two-women-chatted-bathroom-soon-174406362.html

Hammon impressed Portland officials and was generally liked among Blazers staffers, sources said. But when Portland reached out for intel from San Antonio figures, the background on Hammon was not nearly as complimentary pertaining to various aspects of day-to-day coaching responsibilities. That sentiment has been echoed by sources around the league. Blazers personnel then cast doubt that Hammon was the candidate to steer the ship through such delicate waters with Lillard.

https://www.theringer.com/2021/7/1/22558854/clippers-rumors-free-agency-kawhi-leonard-paul-george

Dallas is considered by some executives to be the most serious threat to land Kawhi because of Luka Doncic’s presence and the front office’s ability to create maximum cap space or work out a sign-and-trade. During Leonard’s years with Nike, he also developed a good relationship with Nico Harrison, the Mavs’ new general manager and a former longtime executive at the company.

Y’all think I hate Kawhi now, if this shit happens… 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Kermit said:

LOL!  I mean they have to cover the options, but even O'Conner relents.....

All that said, signs still point to Leonard staying. In March, he reportedly purchased a $17.1 million home in Pacific Palisades, a coastal neighborhood of Los Angeles. While buying a mansion isn’t a guarantee that he’s planning to re-sign long term, multiple league executive sources say Kawhi no longer travels via helicopter from his other home in San Diego, like he often did before Kobe Bryant’s passing in January 2020. Leonard already owned a $6.7 million penthouse near Staples Center. Investing so much in a home is at least an acknowledgment of the possibility he plans to stick around L.A.

Funniest part of that article.....

The Clippers own the no. 25 pick in the 2021 draft, and they don’t have another first-rounder until 2027. Luke Kennard’s four-year, $64 million contract kicks in next season. He may have more value to another team than he did to the Clippers this season. L.A. should explore trading him to see what it can get in return.

Who the fuck wants 4 years of Kennard at 16m AAV?  He's a nice like 8th guy in a rotation.  Sheesh.  If that's the case, Spurs gonna pay Patty, 3/50..... Please God, no.

23 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

LOL!  I mean they have to cover the options, but even O'Conner relents.....

Funniest part of that article.....

Who the fuck wants 4 years of Kennard at 16m AAV?  He's a nice like 8th guy in a rotation.  Sheesh.  If that's the case, Spurs gonna pay Patty, 3/50..... Please God, no.

That contract was nuts when they signed him to it.    Then they went out and barely played him in the playoffs.   No one is giving them shit for him.

So are the Clippers going to be back to the Clippers of old next year? Don't get the feeling that team likes each other much. Kawhi bailing would be fucking hilarious and so on brand for both player and franchise.

lol. Well they’ll go through 3 gms until they get a first round pick that doesn’t suck by 2030.

How willing would Okie City be to trade SGA?  Mind you, I really like him but what about SGA to Detroit for the #1 straight up?  Detroit take that?  

SGA to Cleveland for the #3 and Colin Sexton or Darius Garland?  They presumably take Green here.

SGA to Toronto for the #4 and Aunoby?  That prolly makes Toronto an instant contender right there, actually.  They presumably take Suggs here.

I think Okie City should keep SGA and build around him but in scenarios #2 and #3, they get a solid player along with #3 or #4 plus #6 and then #16 and #18.  They then have Kemba Walker or whatever asset he turns into later.  

Another one I saw floated was Donovan Mitchell to Detroit straight up for the #1.

It's that time of year......

Detroit would literally collapse into a convulsing fit of laughter at SGA for the number 1. Then they’d tell everyone they knew what OKC offered and they would laugh too. Then, there would tell all the media people and they would laugh. Because it’s absurd. 
now, SGA and the #6 pick, and a couple picks in years future might get them to call a meeting and talk about it. 

16 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

How willing would Okie City be to trade SGA?  Mind you, I really like him but what about SGA to Detroit for the #1 straight up?  Detroit take that?  NO.

SGA to Cleveland for the #3 and Colin Sexton or Darius Garland?  They presumably take Green here. LOL.  NO.

SGA to Toronto for the #4 and Aunoby?  That prolly makes Toronto an instant contender right there, actually.  They presumably take Suggs here. LOL.  NO.

I think Okie City should keep SGA and build around him but in scenarios #2 and #3, they get a solid player along with #3 or #4 plus #6 and then #16 and #18.  They then have Kemba Walker or whatever asset he turns into later.  

Another one I saw floated was Donovan Mitchell to Detroit straight up for the #1.

It's that time of year......

Didn't SGA miss most of the season?  SGA is a nice player, but not really a foundational superstar.  Plus, he's getting close to his 2nd contract so he won't be cheap anymore.... but I really doubt anyone of those scenarios would be plausible.  Then again, Cleveland and Detroit are poorly run franchises, so maybe.

When did SGA become a spare?  He averaged 24/5/6 and shot over 50% from 2 and over 40% from 3.  Supposedly only KD and Steph did that.  That straight up trade to Detroit might actually be bad for Okie City.  Right now they're SGA and a gaggle of spares and they'd be Cade and a gaggle of spares.  Not sure that's any better.  He was hurt last year but they also used that as an excuse to sit him for tanking.

I think with Toronto it might depend on Lowry coming back or not.  If he does, they might go for broke and make that deal.  SGA is also Canadian if that matters....

I'm not saying he's a spare, just that he's not your #1 foundational piece. I'm also not sure it's a foregone conclusion that he's better than any of the options in the draft at the spots suggested in the trade speculation post. I agree OKC would be mildly worse with either the proposed Detroit or Cleveland trades but I also don't think Detroit or Cleveland would be any better.