2021 NBA Offseason Thread: Business as Usual? -- Trades/Free Agency/Retirements/Etc.

Patrick Bateman

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

Well, I meant scratching the part where the players money gets lowered.   I agree with your premise that it punishes the player.   So he goes to the new team and they have the full amount on their cap.   Now it would force the team losing the superstar to take on 10M more than they are giving out which might cause lux tax issues so that part would need some additional figuring. 

Yup.  I thought of that.  What if they don't want another bullshit expiring deal to come back in the trade because often these are draft pick trades.  I don't know, I think that could be easily solved by just saying the trading team just has to be in between the max and supermax amounts, but again, more ghost accounting means more opportunity for shenanigans by salary cap doctors.  I'm trying to think of the easiest and most direct.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I still like the idea of raising the minimum salaries enough so a team can't stockpile more than two max players without a punitive tax bill. If you can't motivate them from the top, squeeze them from the bottom. 

Sadly, that could have the unintended cost of squeezing the middle class.  If a team has to pay, let's say 3m more per minimum and a triad of stars get together than it would guys 4-6 or 5-8 who get squeezed while 9-12 still get the minimum.  I understand the rationale but value and championships are won through stars.  Very few years do you have a team without two top 30ish players or max players.  Phoenix has Paul and Booker, Milwaukee has Freak, Jrue and Middleton.  Milwaukee actually has a top 10 cap situation and Middleton is making more than Giannis this year until his supermax kicks in.  What's different about this year is the winner won't have 2 top 10-12 talents.  First time in awhile....

The league could stipulate that a team’s highest paid player can’t make more than $x or x% of the cap (super max), top 2 players can’t make more than y% combined (two max), and top 3 can’t make more than z% of the cap. It could be done in a way to prevent 3 max players on a team, or force stars to choose between money and superteams. 

ESPN had a list up of each team's free agents for this year and next. Random thoughts: 

1. The Spurs should not resign ANY of their free agents this year unless it's a sign and trade deal.

2. Dallas should chase hard for Jarrett Allen and one of Reggie Jackson, Lonzo, Norman Powell, or Gary Trent Jr. Not sure how they make the money work but they should try.

3. Knicks and Heat could have whole new teams next year.

4. Denver going to have some hard decisions to make next year with Gordon and MPJ wanting to get paid. They'll also have to decide if the Bol Bol reclamation project is worth continuing. He looks skilled to me and I'd like to see him in more minutes.

Edited by Llogg

I didn't mean choosing done or the other,I just meant actual dollars to offer them. They're not max guys by any stretch but some team will be willing to pay more than they are worth. Will Denver do a bidding war for either?

Edited by Llogg

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Aaron Gordon shoots about 33% from 3 and MPJ is at 43% from 3 for his career. MPJ also 10% higher from 2. About the same on the boards. 

MPJ needs to improve defensively is really the only thing with him. 

That back might be a thing. It crept up on him during their series with Phoenix.

Bucks at 10-1 is disrespectful.  They have the best NBA record over the last 4 years (by 9 games!) and finally got over the hump. They keep just about everybody and the core is still all in their prime.

They also get back Donte DiVencenzo who started every game for them this year.

I would bet on them before an old / injured Lakers for sure.

And I don’t trust the Nets.  Durant will be 33, Harden and Blake 32, Deandre 35… and Kyrie is crazy. The odds of them all being healthy are low.  

• Like 2

I agree we shouldn't underestimate the amount of seasoning KD's long ass foot allowed Milwaukee to gain. This experience is going to make them a much tougher out for playoff seasons to come. Giannis worked some kinks out of his game due to the the extra reps that series win over the Nets allowed him to get this playoffs, and he's gained confidence in his midrange game as a result. The midrange was something he needed to add to his bag much more than a 3pt shot IMO.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Bucks at 10-1 is disrespectful.  They have the best NBA record over the last 4 years (by 9 games!) and finally got over the hump. They keep just about everybody and the core is still all in their prime.

They also get back Donte DiVencenzo who started every game for them this year.

I would bet on them before an old / injured Lakers for sure.

And I don’t trust the Nets.  Durant will be 33, Harden and Blake 32, Deandre 35… and Kyrie is crazy. The odds of them all being healthy are low.  

I'd be shocked if the nets keep Blake around. He's washed.

37 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I agree we shouldn't underestimate the amount of seasoning KD's long ass foot allowed Milwaukee to gain. This experience is going to make them a much tougher out for playoff seasons to come. Giannis worked some kinks out of his game due to the the extra reps that series win over the Nets allowed him to get this playoffs, and he's gained confidence in his midrange game as a result. The midrange was something he needed to add to his bag much more than a 3pt shot IMO.

For sure.   He showed a lot of growth in that respect.    Another thing that I've noticed over this run was his actual touch around the basket.   He was always a powerful dunker but teams started getting him to jump away from the basket on his drives.   He's had some GREAT layup finishes during this run showing a level of touch that I didn't know he had.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I'd be shocked if the nets keep Blake around. He's washed.

He played well for them.  Particularly in the playoffs.   Any team would be very hard pressed to find a better 4th option but especially one in the financial situation that Nets will be in with the Big 3, Harris, and Jordan all making big money (146M tied up in that 5).   BG has made plenty of money so he should be pretty cheap to keep around.

Edited by d2o
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

"No restrictions for activities in Las Vegas"

I'm going to bet errrybody gonna get vaccinated.

Exactly.   If you wanna do anything other than go to practice/games you're have to take the shot.

Just now, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I think GSW can offer the more attractive package to the Wiz front office. Two lottery picks in a deep draft and/or Wiseman gives them a few years to claim a reset.  

Agreed....if the Wiz is in rebuilding mode (which I think they should be and this is a deep draft).

But if they're intent on chasing the 7 or 8 seed then they'll either try to appease Beal or trade him for a guy like Simmons.

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Honest question, does another high volume scoring guard move the needle for GS?  Especially if Klay is back 

As a Warriors fan, the idea of Beal or Dame does very little for me. A lot of redundant skills, no added size, and neither improves the defense. Forces Klay to guard the bigger, physical wings in the league, and that's asking a lot from a guy who hasn't played in over two years.

I preferred the Siakim rumor and finding a way to replace Wiggins with a defensive-minded wing that you don't have to pay $30M.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

As a Warriors fan, the idea of Beal or Dame does very little for me. A lot of redundant skills, no added size, and neither improves the defense. Forces Klay to guard the bigger, physical wings in the league, and that's asking a lot from a guy who hasn't played in over two years.

I preferred the Siakim rumor and finding a way to replace Wiggins with a defensive-minded wing that you don't have to pay $30M.

I hear that, but if the goal is to win the championship in what’s left of Steph’s window, seems like you have to build to match bucket for bucket with Brooklyn right? Curry, Klay and Beal give you 80 points every night.

53 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Let me tell you a little about Christian Wood….

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I hear that, but if the goal is to win the championship in what’s left of Steph’s window, seems like you have to build to match bucket for bucket with Brooklyn right? Curry, Klay and Beal give you 80 points every night.

I'd say that if you're trying to outscore Brooklyn in a shootout, you've already lost. No reason to think that Steph, Klay, Dray, Siakim, and some nice pieces can't be a top 5 offense on their own, and a #1 or #2 defense.

Siakam to GSW is championship level stuff. I've seen the rumored trade but I don't see anything that makes sense. Siakam is kind of the perfect prototype of a player with a shitload of potential and athleticism that will never be the alpha but will be unreal with some floor spacers and ball movement. He solves so many problems the Warriors have, and it worked out well the last time they had a Siakam caliber player in KD. I just don't know why they'd let him go. It's not like he's a free agent that knew he'd never win one by himself.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk