The Expanse (Amazon Prime)

MillerEP

Really? I don't find him menacing at all nor particularly charismatic. He just doesn't strike me as a guy who can rally people around a cause. Maybe it's just me. The speeches he's given on the show just seem like a guy yelling out his lines.

I’m with you. I think the actor severely overacts and it makes it hard to take Marco seriously.

On 12/18/2021 at 7:10 AM, Buzzrock said:

Can we get rid of Naomi and Filip? Otherwise I’m digging the new episodes.

I’m only on episode 1, and I’m hoping he’s dead before the end of episode 2, but it sounds like I’m going to be disappointed. He’s an unredeemable bitch that just shot his friend. 

Naomi must have some Jessica Simpson-esque pussy to not kill Marcos and her POS son.   Sorry, I let him go because we didn't want him to be a martyr yet, meanwhile he fucked over everyone he has come into contact with and leaves a wake of shit wherever he goes.   That isn't a martyr.  

Filip pretty much ruined Naomi.   How does she feel about giving the belters some protomolecule now?   Notice how Drummer booted the fuck-up from her ship.   Holden would have been better off kicking her ass to the curb after she stole that material and gave it to an individual with little security.  

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Apparently there's a bunch of like, mini-episodes via X-Ray but only available on certain streaming devices/browsers? 

Yeah, you can only watch them on a web browser or on mobile in the x-ray "bonus content" tab when you pause the show. It's maddening and doesn't work on my fire stick or TV natively.

Good little 5 minute vignettes of ship life across the various factions and hero ships

"Live shamed. Die empty". Goddamn. I fucking love pirate queen Drummer. Best goddamn character except for maybe Amos.

I really liked how every other person on the show was "WTF Holden???" about the torp lol. Didn't realize the torps were straight up NUKES!

Edit: the "One Ship" mini episode this week is the Roci watching Claire on a night watch shift. Pretty cool world building 

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

"Live shamed. Die empty". Goddamn. I fucking love pirate queen Drummer. Best goddamn character except for maybe Amos.

I really liked how every other person on the show was "WTF Holden???" about the torp lol. Didn't realize the torps were straight up NUKES!

Edit: the "One Ship" mini episode this week is the Roci watching Claire on a night watch shift. Pretty cool world building 

Drummer is the best character on this show 

Drummer is the best character on this show 

She really is the best of the remaining. Ashford was great as well. The Naomi-Filip-Marcos saga has been the weak element. No longer does the alien civilization or proto-molecule or Sparta/Athens rivalry matter or the detective series origins.

At this point it seems the writers are gave more time to the Naomi saga than to the aliens and their tech that started it all.

The target audience is most likely overwhelmingly male, we don’t want 90210 in space.

And now we have the Rosi’s nuke being repurposed to create more unnecessary drama. Only to cause for another boring conversation between Holden/Naomi or poster child for never smoking lady.

6 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Have a freak accident blow up the Roci and just make it the Drummer show. I’m willing to sacrifice everyone else if it gets rid of Naomi and current Holden.

Amos is thrown clear of course and makes it to civilization on stern looks and sarcasm.

Can we keep Bobbie too? 

• Like 1

Every fucking time writers incorporate kids into a TV show, they always, always make the kids do stupid fucking shit, be morons, and force the parents to make idiotic decisions to save their moronic kids.

The Americans had that problem,  so did Defiance,  and I guess its a Sci Fi trend because Terra Nova & La Brea  had/have the same issue with kids fucking up the storyline

Then you have Movies where the kids do absolutely idiotic shit like running off and forcing the parents to find them,  War of the Worlds is a prime example  (not that the movie was that good anyway)

that ends up fucking up the storylines and we as viewers keep getting to watch in disgust as the parents keep making mistakes to either save their kids, or guide them in another direction.

clearly thats happening here with the Filip storyline

3 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Every fucking time writers incorporate kids into a TV show, they always, always make the kids do stupid fucking shit, be morons, and force the parents to make idiotic decisions to save their moronic kids.

The Americans had that problem,  so did Defiance,  and I guess its a Sci Fi trend because Terra Nova & La Brea  had/have the same issue with kids fucking up the storyline

Then you have Movies where the kids do absolutely idiotic shit like running off and forcing the parents to find them,  War of the Worlds is a prime example  (not that the movie was that good anyway)

that ends up fucking up the storylines and we as viewers keep getting to watch in disgust as the parents keep making mistakes to either save their kids, or guide them in another direction.

clearly thats happening here with the Filip storyline

Well uh, the writers already had Filip written into the books.  So I guess you can go blame them? They also advise on the show, so...

I know the TV adapt took some liberties with side characters (Drummer/Pao/Sam Rosenberg), but Filip is kind of important to Naomi's story. 

On 12/30/2021 at 7:29 PM, Js1 said:

I dunno how they wrap this up in 2 more episodes….

That is how I felt going in to the season, and feel more that way now. If the Martian alien resurrection storyline is that important, how are they even going to tell that story?  Not enough time. Barely have time to wrap up (some) of the belter vs earth and Holden story. Are we going to be 10 minutes in to second to last episode and everyone is suddenly going to realize the prototmolexule is the bigger threat to all humanity (even though no one know fuck all about it)?  Everyone puts aside their differences and fights off the resurrected zombie alien humans?

Edited by UT_OB1

18 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

That is how I felt going in to the season, and feel more that way now. If the Martian alien resurrection storyline is that important, how are they even going to tell that story?  Not enough time. Barely have time to wrap up (some) of the belter vs earth and Holden story. Are we going to be 10 minutes in to second to last episode and everyone is suddenly going to realize the prototmolexule is the bigger threat to all humanity (even though no one know fuck all about it)?  Everyone puts aside their differences and fights off the resurrected zombie alien humans?

Yeah. To this point at least, it's as though on some level they decided, "shit, we can't possibly wrap up this tremendously complex, multi-faceted storyline in six episodes, so instead, how about we just not even try at all?" 

Not very satisfying, though I guess it's better than the "everyone is actually a werewolf" or whatever forgettably unforgivable nonsense that was the conclusion of Game of Thrones. 

1 minute ago, seven said:

I have not read the books but one of the podcasts I listen to has a guy that has. He said where he predicted this season would end is still looking correct and that 2 episodes is enough to get there. I'm optimistic that he's right. 

The big book fag portion brain says they can, but the tiny part of my brain that craves visual entertainment through my eyeballs says no way.

Episode 5 is probably 48-50 minutes and episode 6 (finale) is supposed to be 65-75 minutes so we basically have a runtime of a pre-MCU movie left to finish the series (for now). 

Holden is a selfish dumbass prick. He had a chance to kill Marco Inaros, destroy the lead ship of the Free Navy, and possibly end the war. He threw that away because of Naomi and her terrorist son and feelings.

Every person that Marco kills moving forward will have their blood on Holden’s hands. Amos should’ve spaced him.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, seven said:

I have not read the books but one of the podcasts I listen to has a guy that has. He said where he predicted this season would end is still looking correct and that 2 episodes is enough to get there. I'm optimistic that he's right. 

I have - semi spoiler below (it’s based on what has been shown on the show already but I wouldn’t have put it together if I hadn’t read the books:

Spoiler

The key is based on a fight at the ring gates. There has been enoug talk about Medina Station this season to set that up as the final fight locale. The Chekhov’s Gun this season is the Barkeith that Holden keeps looking at footage of going through the gate but not coming out the other side.  Naomi is trying to figure out how to predict when that will happen again. That’s all the math and equations she’s been working on for the last few episodes. 

2 Episodes gives her time to figure that out and then race to the Ring for the last battle. 

That is where the 6th book ends, and it sets up the final arc for the last 3 books.  If the show sticks the landing it will both be a fairly satisfying conclusion to the last few seasons and also set the stage for future. Just think of it the way that the first 3 seasons all culminated at the ring gates opening, even though there was a whole lot of side quests. 

Another semi spoiler:

Spoiler

If they follow the books, you’ll never hear from Filip again after the last episode, but it won’t be satisfying how they get rid of him. Wouldn’t be surprised if this is changed for the show. 

I find it oddly satisfying that they seem to be following the books that closely, it says to me that they think they can finish the rest of the story in the future. Maybe movies? Maybe on a different provider? Anyway, they don’t seem to be doing something that is untrue to the universe they’ve created simply because they have been cancelled on Amazon. 

Edited by hornian

Holden is a selfish dumbass prick. He had a chance to kill Marco Inaros, destroy the lead ship of the Free Navy, and possibly end the war. He threw that away because of Naomi and her terrorist son and feelings.

Every person that Marco kills moving forward will have their blood on Holden’s hands. Amos should’ve spaced him.

It’s hard to interpret what he did much differently than this. Inaros is a genocidal maniac. Killing Filip would have been horrible and it’s exactly what Holden should have done in a time of war. That’s when you do horrible things. It’s really disappointing.

12 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s hard to interpret what he did much differently than this. Inaros is a genocidal maniac. Killing Filip would have been horrible and it’s exactly what Holden should have done in a time of war. That’s when you do horrible things. It’s really disappointing.

Guys did you not hear peaches regret for killing people?  Never regret not killing someone. Its what separates Holden from Inaros. 

23 hours ago, Js1 said:

The big book fag portion brain says they can, but the tiny part of my brain that craves visual entertainment through my eyeballs says no way.

Episode 5 is probably 48-50 minutes and episode 6 (finale) is supposed to be 65-75 minutes so we basically have a runtime of a pre-MCU movie left to finish the series (for now). 

They squeezed all of book 3 into the back half of season 3 and did a great job. I think they'll make it to the end of the book, they've been bread crumbing the story nicely all season

9 minutes ago, APMP said:

They're pretty great if you like worldbuilding. The first one is on Drummer's ship and it's about how Michio went poking around in Drummer's personal shit because she was worried Drummer didn't love them anymore. Second is Avasarala on her flag ship dealing with bureaucratic bullshit and getting letters from home. Third is Amos and Bobbie having a good fight down in the cargo hold to blow off some steam, and fourth is the Roci watching Peaches on a night watch shift.

They're all really well written and shot, I really don't understand why they scooped out a half an episode's worth of content and make it damn near inaccessible lol