Police Chief pranks black officer with KKK sign...

crash_davis

is that wrong? should he not have done that? the added wtf is that it was all filmed and caught on tape. so the chief KNEW it was being filmed and still went through with it.

maybe he really is naive and did think it joke. that would be the only sensible explanation knowing that it was being filmed. the other explanation is that he is a complete racist piece of shit and went through with it knowing full well it was being filmed. for my faith in humanity, i'm going with the first scenario.

video of the whole ordeal is in the link. you decide.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2021/07/sheffield-lake-police-chief-resigns-after-putting-ku-klux-klan-sign-on-black-officers-desk.html

SHEFFIELD LAKE, Ohio -- Police Chief Anthony Campo resigned Tuesday following an incident in which he left a “Ku Klux Klan” sign on a Black officer’s desk, Sheffield Lake Mayor Dennis Bring said.

The incident in question, which happened Friday, was captured on surveillance video inside the department’s booking area.

Campo, who has been with the department for 33 years and served as chief for eight, is seen in the video walking into a room with a piece of paper in his hand that says, “Ku Klux Klan.” He walks to a desk and places the note on a yellow jacket laid out to resemble the infamous hood and robe synonymous with the American hate group.

He walks out of the room to wait for the officer, an unidentified Black man, to come into the room.

The officer, who started working for the department nine months ago, walks in and sees the message. It is unclear what the officer and Campo say to one another as the video has no audio. Other people come into the frame and chat with the officer.

Bring said Campo told him the offensive note was a prank. The now-former chief did not return calls Thursday seeking to comment on the incident or his resignation from the department after more than three decades.

“He thought this was just a joke,” Bring said. “How can you possibly think that you can put something on somebody’s jacket like that, and especially if they were African American, and think this is a joke? This is the most egregious and offensive thing you could possibly do. And it’s embarrassing and disgusting.”

Sheffield Lake Law Director David Graves brought the incident to Bring’s attention Tuesday and characterized it to the mayor as “really serious.”

The union that represents the police brought a harassment complaint to Graves’ office. Bring went straight to Campo’s office after learning about the incident.

“I came into the chief’s office, and he’s standing there with a smile on his face,” Bring said. “He goes, ‘So, am I fired?’”

Graves showed Campo the complaint. Bring told him he had 10 minutes to get out of the office and that he would be on administrative leave until further notice. He asked the chief not to touch anything, hand over the keys to his cruiser, and find a ride home.

Campo then announced that he wanted to resign effective immediately, used his computer to type his resignation letter and left, Bring said. Campo earned a yearly salary of $86,835.43, and it’s unclear as of Friday if resigning from the department instead of waiting for the city to force him out of the position would allow Campo to preserve any retirement benefits Campo accrued during his time with the department.

“He’s no longer an employee. The union who sent the paper (complaint) is satisfied with what we did. I can’t say that he’s not going to have other litigation, I don’t know.”

The officer who received the inappropriate message retained an attorney since the incident. Bring is unsure whether the officer plans to file suit but noted he would back the officer if he were to seek further action against Campo.

Bring had an emotional conversation Wednesday with the officer.

“It took us 10 minutes to talk to each other because we both sat there crying,” he said. “I apologized to him. I can’t describe it in one word. This is not a mistake. This is something so egregious I can’t describe it.”

The officer told Bring that he was so taken aback by his superior’s actions that he just smiled because he didn’t know what to do.

“This shouldn’t happen anywhere,” he said. “You see this stuff on the news all the time, and you’re thinking, ‘How in the hell can somebody be that stupid?’ It’s out there. It’s done. I don’t even speak of his name right now. I told the officer that we can refer to him as ‘ex-chief,’ or ‘ex-employee.’ I don’t even want to hear his name spoken in this department anymore.”

Sgt. Shawn Corr is currently acting chief for the department, Bring said.

Yeah, man.  People just can't take a joke.  Why, just the other day I busted into my friend's synagogue wearing a fake suicide vest and shouting Allahu Akbar!, and they just didn't get it.  I mean, come on, call-outs to terrorism against the object of your joke are just FUNNY.   Right, guys?  Right?

• Haha 1

this got me. the indignity that the black officer felt. damn.

“It took us 10 minutes to talk to each other because we both sat there crying,” he said. “I apologized to him. I can’t describe it in one word. This is not a mistake. This is something so egregious I can’t describe it.”

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

So this bad joke offends you as a person of color?

No, it offends me as a comedian. 

Seriously. If you're gonna go full racist as humor, go all the way with a noose or something. Then when he complains, take it down, and say "You know what they say, no noose is good noose!" Laughs all around. That's how you do comedy yo!

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Seriously. If you're gonna go full racist as humor, go all the way with a noose or something. Then when he complains, take it down, and say "You know what they say, no noose is good noose!" Laughs all around. That's how you do comedy yo!

I'm going to hell. I actually laughed at that. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, man.  People just can't take a joke.  Why, just the other day I busted into my friend's synagogue wearing a fake suicide vest and shouting Allahu Akbar!, and they just didn't get it.  I mean, come on, call-outs to terrorism against the object of your joke are just FUNNY.   Right, guys?  Right?

I can top that.  I walked over to Temple Emanu-El in my SS uniform holding a fake can of Zyklon B!  And walked up to people and told them the trains were over there!  LMAO!  LOL!

Jews have a great history in comedy, I don't get why they weren't amused.  Mel Brooks?  Cmon!

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There are jokes that can perhaps go up to and/or over the line. These can be forgiven with an apology or even acknowledgement that you had a lapse of judgment and you learned something. Then there's this story.

From the article, it sure sounds like a set-up on his part, in particular the shit-eating grin "am I fired, lol!" He's definitely gonna sue for his "forced" resignation (as he'll characterize it). It sounds very much like oppressed Bubba is looking to attack "PC wokeness" hoping for Kavanaugh and friends to support what he thinks the first amendment means, which they almost certainly will, with Justice Thomas writing the opinion and complaining about all those whiny blacks.

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

The union that represents the police brought a harassment complaint to Graves’ office. Bring went straight to Campo’s office after learning about the incident.

“I came into the chief’s office, and he’s standing there with a smile on his face,” Bring said. “He goes, ‘So, am I fired?’”

Graves showed Campo the complaint. Bring told him he had 10 minutes to get out of the office and that he would be on administrative leave until further notice. He asked the chief not to touch anything, hand over the keys to his cruiser, and find a ride home.

Mayor and the police union didn't fuck around. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

those two groups actually restored some faith that sometimes people in those circles do the right thing.

I'll bet money right now that the union will soon say that they processed the complaint and found nothing wrong under their governing precedent "get over it."

Edited by 'stache

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

So this bad joke offends you as a person of color?

No, it offends me as a comedian. 

What an idiot. Can’t imagine that he thought the “joke” was ok. 
Also just a terrible weak effort on his part. Wrote KKK on a piece of paper and tried to arrange a yellow jacket so that it looked like  a hood and robe?  Without the kkk part I guarantee you no one had any idea what the jacket was supposed to represent. 

Glad he got fired quickly hopefully with a substantial reduction in his future benefits.  Imagine going home and having to explain to your family why you’ll be delivery pizza going forward and why everyone needs to tighten their belts. 

Guest Lobo

I think we are at a point in this country where we have to a mature discussion.  What many people, particularly white men, perceive as society or cancel culture trying to shut them up, trying to take away their funny times, stomping out their humor...it's actually that they aren't funny to begin with.  People still laugh at insensitive stuff all the time.  You can make a great career out of it if you're actually funny.  You can get away with really off-color humor, but the trick is---you have to be funny to start.  And you have to have timing.  

You can't just blurt out some racist shit and when people don't laugh or ask you to stop/apologize...you can't just declare, "Damn snowflakes.  Cancelling my sense of humor, bullshit!"  Some of the funniest people I know are very misogynist and racist, but they know how to be on the quick with a funny line in a conversation and women in the group still laugh because it's witty and well placed.  And sadly I know lots and lots of misogynist and racist people who think they're fucking hilarious, and they're just sad, tragic clowns who don't know after all these years that we're all laughing at how pitifully sad their attempts at humor can be most of the time. 

I would tell this police chief and so many others like him that you weren't be cancelled because you're a racist asshole, you're being cancelled because you're something even worse than that.  Your cardinal sin is you think you're funny, but you're dreadfully unfunny.