RIP Richard Donner

mdmost

Another titan of my youth has passed away. So many great movies that he directed like Superman, The Goonies, Lethal Weapons 1 & 2, Scrooged, The Omen, Maverick, the incredibly underrated Radio Flyer, and the movie that would have no chance in being made today, The Toy. 

I enjoyed that he inserted himself into all the Lethal Weapon movies as the squad captain of Riggs and Murtaugh. 

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Another titan of my youth has passed away. So many great movies that he directed like Superman, The Goonies, Lethal Weapons 1 & 2, Scrooged, The Omen, Maverick, the incredibly underrated Radio Flyer, and the movie that would have no chance in being made today, The Toy. 

I enjoyed that he inserted himself into all the Lethal Weapon movies as the squad captain of Riggs and Murtaugh. 

Whoa. Literally watched Goonies last night. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Good films and agree he played the role of the “surly because of their bullshit and yet respectful of their talent” Captain to Riggs and Murtaugh beautifully.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0434676/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t23

Donner's cousin, not Richard Donner himself.  Great character actor.

Donner's Superman is superior to any incarnation of Superman that's come out since.  The Lethal Weapon movies are amazing, and of course, Goonies.

7 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0434676/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t23

Donner's cousin, not Richard Donner himself.  Great character actor.

Donner's Superman is superior to any incarnation of Superman that's come out since.  The Lethal Weapon movies are amazing, and of course, Goonies.

Good catch....well he directed his cousin well.  

I remember watching something about the making of the Goonies where Donner refused to let the kids see the set for Willie's ship until right as they started to shoot the scene, wanted to capture the amazement.  Smart trick.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I always thought Spielberg directed The Goonies.  Hmm.  You learn something new every day.  

Sad about Donner now that I recognize his accomplishments.

Yeah I thought that too until yesterday. Spielberg was co-writer with Chris Colombus.

18 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Donner's Superman is superior to any incarnation of Superman that's come out since. 

18 hours ago, ztejas said:

That's not saying a lot but I guess it's a decent compliment.

Superman was outstanding for its time.  Sure, the special effects look as dated as those from other 1970s and 1980s movies.  But it was pretty magical for us moviegoers back in 1978.  And one of John Williams more iconic movie scores.

Nobody's mentioned this one, but I thought Conspiracy Theory was a pretty enjoyable flick.

Edited by South Austin
you pee your pants
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Superman was outstanding for its time.  Sure, the special effects look as dated as those from other 1970s and 1980s movies.  But it was pretty magical for us moviegoers back in 1978.  And one of John Williams more iconic movie scores.

Superman is still an outstanding flick.  The first half of the movie is especially good.  Donner captured the style and ethos of Superman better than anyone in that first 45 minutes.  From the opening moments with Marlon Brando playing Jor-El, to the wheat field as Clark is leaving on his journey, the movie really does a good job with the source material.  Glenn Ford, Terrence Stamp, the aforementioned Brando, and Susanah York, all make an appearance.

And of course, the music as South Austin mentioned, is still amazing.  Effects are noticeably outdated, but that's to be expected.

I'll spoiler alert a 43 year old movie for those that haven't seen it. 

Spoiler

Having Pa Kent die of a heart attack was superior to the latest Superman origin story in Man of Steel where Costner dies because of "self-sacrifice".  That entire scene pretty much sums up the difference in storytelling over the years.  Glenn Ford's death meant something to the overall story. 

Great piece of directing by Donner.

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i don’t give a fuck. 

"I don't give a fuck Riggs.  That's why I don't have an ulcer.  I know when to say I don't give a fuck!"