What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

Yeah, and San Francisco is still 75% plus zoned single-family, and Portland largely was predominantly single-family zoning up until recently. These cities have practiced what we've been practicing which are exclusionary housing practices that protect existing homeowners at the expense of future ones through constriction of supply. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Having owned property in three of those cities, and having lived (rented) in the rest at one point or another, I respectfully disagree.  Comparing them to Austin is beyond disingenuous, with perhaps the exception of Portland, but even there the rules regarding parking, lot size, impervious cover, etc. are so drastically different it's not comparing apples to apples at all.  All of those cities cram in significantly more dwelling units per acre and are more expensive to purchase or rent a home in than Austin.    NIMBYism is real and a problem because it goes overboard.  It is also the only thing stopping 1960/s/70's style destruction of American cities.  That era left a nasty stain on the face of this country that we still haven' recovered from, and we're trying to do it all over again.  An equally ridiculous problem is using NIMBYism as a boogie man to justify for ramming through rules that benefit a small handful of people and do absolutely nothing to make housing affordable.  The name calling, the blaming, all of it - it's just political bullshit preventing people from even sitting down an thinking about what we want to achieve and whether what we're doing has any chance of accomplishing it.  People love to blame NIMBYism for Austin while refusing to blame decade after decade of crony capitalism from our local government.  They're both to blame for the current situation, but one is significantly more at fault (hint, it isn't old people worried about property values).  Austin needs more developments like Mueller, on the edge of town, combined with transportation to carry these folks to work.   Revamping established neighborhoods while doing absolutely nothing else about infrastructure, transportation, etc. if so blindingly stupid it's hardly worth discussing. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Samson's Wig said:

Austin needs more developments like Mueller, on the edge of town, combined with transportation to carry these folks to work.   Revamping established neighborhoods while doing absolutely nothing else about infrastructure, transportation, etc. if so blindingly stupid it's hardly worth discussing. 

One thing that caught my attention was proponents of HOME citing how it was instrumental to Project Connect being a success and getting funded. So that boondoggle that's scaled down drastically, risen in cost sharply, and now looks nothing like the plan that people passed needs HOME to be enacted for it to be successful? Wouldn't that have been something that should have been enacted BEFORE we got saddled with year after year of a tax increase?

Also, is there a reason why HOME didn't go to a vote while Project Connect did? What's the mechanism by which somethings go to voters and others don't?

Infrastructure is much more efficient and cheaper in the long run when it supports densely populated areas vs. sprawl. 

And I'd argue exclusionary zoning is a much bigger stain on our country's recent history than whatever happened in the 60s/70s. The intent of exclusionary zoning was literally to keep communities of color out of neighborhoods when it became illegal to do so through explicitly stated restrictions (commonly deed restrictions). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, UrbanAchiever said:

Infrastructure is much more efficient and cheaper in the long run when it supports densely populated areas vs. sprawl. 

And I'd argue exclusionary zoning is a much bigger stain on our country's recent history than whatever happened in the 60s/70s. The intent of exclusionary zoning was literally to keep communities of color out of neighborhoods when it became illegal to do so through explicitly stated restrictions (commonly deed restrictions). 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, We’reTexas said:

San Francisco is 75% SFH and the BoS is fighting like hell to keep it that way. That’s why it’s the most expensive city in the US. 

As I already noted, that stat is meaningless without context regarding their zoning rules as a whole.  Look at density per acre/mile in those cities.  For example, Boston: ~14k per mile.  San Francisco: ~17k per mile.  Austin = ~3k per mile.  

• Like 1

Which neighborhoods will that actually have an impact?  Virtually every central Austin neighborhood has deed restrictions for one dwelling per lot.  At most, some do allow a detach guest/maid's guest house that is limited in size.   The HOME ordinance specifically says deed restrictions will supersede the ordinance.  I'd love to know which 'hoods don't have deed restrictions. I'm gonna guess it's just a handful scattered throughout the city. 

All of Pool's district has deed restrictions. It made it easy for her to look progressive without it having any effect on her constituents.

Edited by CooterBrown

Which neighborhoods will that actually have an impact?  Virtually every central Austin neighborhood has deed restrictions for one dwelling per lot.  At most, some do allow a detach guest/maid's guest house that is limited in size.   The HOME ordinance specifically says deed restrictions will supersede the ordinance.  I'd love to know which 'hoods don't have deed restrictions. I'm gonna guess it's just a handful scattered throughout the city. 
All of Pool's district has deed restrictions. It made it easy for her to look progressive without it having any effect on her constituents.

Well, if you have some time:

https://repositories.lib.utexas.edu/items/f155e1e0-bec0-40cf-a707-2d117ba4f714

My answer is that the folks in the “eastern crescent”, the traditional non wealthy neighborhoods, may be most at risk.

Old non-eastern neighborhoods have deed restrictions and newer neighborhoods have HOAs. But, the city does not enforce deed restrictions, so if you have construction starting on your street, it is up to you to sue to enforce the deed restrictions.

Wealthy folks will have the time and knowledge and money to do that, non wealthy folks not so much.

16 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

Does anybody know if the Austin HOME initiative that just passed affects impervious cover rules for existing SFHs? 

No, my understanding is that impervious cover is the exact same.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/man-walks-with-long-rifle-in-front-of-austin-schools-terrorized-students-and-parents/

Parents of students at two north Austin schools told KXAN they are terrified after seeing a man with a long rife walk the path in front of their children’s schools for several days, sometimes twice a day, in December. 

The Austin Police Department confirmed to KXAN that Isaiah Smith, 28, who walked in front of St. Francis School and Webb Middle School with weapons, has also been seen downtown at the Austin Public Library.

“We’ve seen the individual. He has come in to take care of Library business – he checked out a book. But this is a public place,  and this is an open-carry state, unfortunately. So there’s no way we can keep them out at the moment,” said Roosevelt Weeks, Director of the Austin Public Library. 

“[People] feel the library is a safe and welcoming place,” Weeks continued. “With someone with a long rifle, that’s kind of upsetting for a lot of people. That doesn’t present a safe environment for a lot of people,” he said.

While reporting on this story, KXAN learned the man, Isaiah Smith, 28, was arrested Friday on indecency with a child charges. 

According to an arrest warrant affidavit, Smith is contracted by the Austin Independent School District to provide tutoring services that prepare students for college. 

simon cowell facepalm GIF

Smith is accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old student in October during a tutoring session at an Austin high school. Austin ISD Police Officers arrested Smith on these charges Friday, according to police documents. 

Austin ISD Police confirmed with KXAN that Smith is the same person some parents were complaining about walking in front of their schools with a long rifle.

So much to unpack with this one, but he sexually assaulted a 14 year-old student at an Austin high school in October, and afterward he started walking around a couple of schools with a rifle. Seems like the two things might be related.

• Rage+1 2

On 12/8/2023 at 10:01 PM, atomheartbevo said:

So much to unpack with this one, but he sexually assaulted a 14 year-old student at an Austin high school in October, and afterward he started walking around a couple of schools with a rifle. Seems like the two things might be related.

Assuming he must have been in drag, of course.

By the way, on the various density and zoning questions, etc.  My take is this... I would rather we increase density via a high rise or mid rise versus scraping another piece of the hill country to add more master planned communities that a) remove the natural environment and b) put more cars on the road and c) use up more water so people can water their stupid ass lawn

4 hours ago, texasdago said:

Assuming he must have been in drag, of course.

By the way, on the various density and zoning questions, etc.  My take is this... I would rather we increase density via a high rise or mid rise versus scraping another piece of the hill country to add more master planned communities that a) remove the natural environment and b) put more cars on the road and c) use up more water so people can water their stupid ass lawn

Unless people are actually moving close to where they work, there's going to be more cars on the road as more people move in/density rises.

'They spit in my face' local family outraged after man who shot them gets plea deal from Travis County DA's Office

Melinda Hipolito is recounting how she and her two daughters survived a shooting in February of 2021.

“He emptied a clip. And he stopped three feet in front my car. He got out and reloaded and emptied a second clip into the driver’s side of my car," she said.

Hipolito says as she was helping out a family member in north Austin near the Domain, 21-year-old Devon Loper riddled her car with 28 bullets while she and her children were inside.

“My daughter, she was shot in the forehead. It took all of her forehead. And my other daughter was shot in the back of both legs,” said Melinda.

Hipolito was shot in her shoulder and collar bone. Her daughter Scarlett says in the moment, she was worried about her baby sister.

Devon Loper was given a 12-year plea deal in February of 2023 with the Travis County District Attorney’s Office. He could be eligible for parole after serving 6 years.

Loper’s criminal history includes aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, drug possession, unlawful carry of a weapon and-unauthorized use of a vehicle.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/they-spit-in-my-face-local-family-outraged-after-man-who-shot-them-gets-plea-deal-from-travis-county-das-office

• Rage+1 2

On 12/8/2023 at 10:01 PM, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/man-walks-with-long-rifle-in-front-of-austin-schools-terrorized-students-and-parents/

simon cowell facepalm GIF

Which one is he?

B2B58077-5B1F-4F5D-B8A4-994FB0E8FE79.webp

Thanks to the dude from San Antonio, we've now tied the murder count from 2022. Sucks because from July until mid-September we were starting to trend well below. Stuff has gone crazy since then.

image.png.6b81b1cfbe989811c60de7fc6547e7bc.png

A few caveats:

- Four of the recent murders was some random dude who decided to drive up here from San Antonio and kill people he had no connection with.
- Another was skeletal remains found in the greenbelt that was considered a 2023 homicide, but who knows when it actually occurred.
- Self-defense shootings are labeled as homicides even though no charges are brought. I counted four of these.

Take out these special cases, and it's considerably lower. Take out domestic stuff (we seem to have quite a few murder/suicides) as well and I'd guess we'd be somewhere around 45-50 murders.

12 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

A few caveats:

- Four of the recent murders was some random dude who decided to drive up here from San Antonio and kill people he had no connection with.
- Another was skeletal remains found in the greenbelt that was considered a 2023 homicide, but who knows when it actually occurred.
- Self-defense shootings are labeled as homicides even though no charges are brought. I counted four of these.

Take out these special cases, and it's considerably lower. Take out domestic stuff (we seem to have quite a few murder/suicides) as well and I'd guess we'd be somewhere around 45-50 murders.

Add back the Rainey Street "drownings".

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

A few caveats:

That correct and people focus on the total number and not the per capita numbers.  My college years were more dangerous.

12 minutes ago, texasdago said:

That correct and people focus on the total number and not the per capita numbers.  My college years were more dangerous.

Per capita is around 7/100,000.

2021-22 were higher. Before that, you're talking 1997. So higher than the past 25 years.

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Per capita is around 7/100,000.

2021-22 were higher. Before that, you're talking 1997. So higher than the past 25 years.

Yes... it was higher "in the good ole days".  People pine over how nice it was back then but the murder rate was higher.  

Austin is still very safe.  https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/murder-map-deadliest-u-s-cities/2/

Good news for all the people moving to towns like Tulsa and Little Rock where the murder rate is about 2-2.5x higher

3 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Yes... it was higher "in the good ole days".  People pine over how nice it was back then but the murder rate was higher.  

Austin is still very safe.  https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/murder-map-deadliest-u-s-cities/2/

Good news for all the people moving to towns like Tulsa and Little Rock where the murder rate is about 2-2.5x higher

I preferred it when it was half as high in Austin... like in 2019.

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I preferred it when it was half as high in Austin... like in 2019.

I get it.  I'm just pointing out that the Old Austin crowd that makes it sound like the old days was all sunshine and incense... 20 sticks... one dollar... forget what it was like.  I guess you could at least find more surface parking blight back then.

Just now, PvilleStang said:

What was the date these graphs were made?  And I really do like the Austin approach here.  Can't control murder?  Bring in more people to lower the per-capita murder rates.

Of course, we have more Covid deaths...we have more positive tests! 

I wish I recorded my chef's kiss moment when I resigned/put out to pasture from the Bond Oversight Commission.  Last hearing I did was about mobility expenditures regarding some more sidewalks and better intersections and all that.  so afterwards, I go by the Vision Zero woman's office to say goodbye and thank her for her work and well wishes on reducing pedestrian deaths.  And she says she's gotta hurry up and get to a meeting with the Dark Skies initiative (that drawdown of urban light pollution so we can see the stars at night, which for the record I think is super cool).  And I'm wondering to myself (I think i told this story earlier this year on here), "Da fuh?  We need brighter, safer crosswalks and sidewalks to reduce deaths but at the same time we're shutting off street lights for some Adler pet project, don't make no sense."  And the way she hustled out off there, I thought she was driving to some satellite City of Austin office far away.  But she literally walked down the hall and I overheard her say, "Nice to finally meet you."  The safely lit sidewalk people and the dark skies program people had never met, putting aside the paradoxical irony of their missions. 

Just now, YGIFS said:

And they both face North which is the weirdest thing.  

pos rep.  Let's get Waffle house before xmas, I'm serious this time.  My colon needs a frush.  Wait, what the fuck's a frush?

I'm down.  Let's look at next week.  Nothing says Christmas like smothered and covered, and I'm not just talking about what @Nicole44 does to her victims before dunking them in the lake.

• Haha 2

You know, it's not Austin's fault for having a new serial killer with a very hip and unconventional M.O.  You go with some creepy dude to a second location and just trust him and his hot cocoa station, that's kinda on you as the victim.  But you can't really blame APD for the Rainey Street "smotherings & coverings" because you're some 30-40'ish guy visiting Austin.  You meet an attractive blonde who chats you up and you have a few drinks and she offers to walk with you back to your Rainey Street hotel and then suddenly the wooshing sound from your dorky chinos becomes the wooshing sound from IH-35 traffic which then becomes the wooshing sound of Nicole holding your head under water which becomes the wooshing sound of your last heartbeat.  And that, as they say, was that...

3 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Population growth... how does it work?

Insane Clown Posse Celebs GIF

In California, when a man loves a woman, he asks her to move with him to Austin, where they can pay $200K over ask, tell everyone how great it was in LA, how Austin Mexican food is subpar, and how In-N-Out is far superior to Whataburger.  Then they do shit like elect Jose Garza to District Attorney and Steve Adler to Mayor, then wonder why their Austin love story is fading.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

In California, when a man loves a woman, he asks her to move with him to Austin, where they can pay $200K over ask, tell everyone how great it was in LA, how Austin Mexican food is subpar, and how In-N-Out is far superior to Whataburger.  Then they do shit like elect Jose Garza to District Attorney and Steve Adler to Mayor, then wonder why their Austin love story is fading.

ok

6 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Neighbor?  These folks moved in next to us last year.  Paid $200k over asking.  Nicest damn family you could hope for to live by.  But last week, took him a thing at UT and he wanted to get In-N-Out after on the drag and was going on and on about L.A. and Austin crime.  And then asks, "So this was the old hangout for you in undergrad, eh?"  And I said, "No man, this is only a few years old.  This was a burger king while I was in undergrad and grad school, and a really shitty one."  So it's back to how different Austin is from Los Angeles, and I'm laughing because of that Letterkenny scene about L.A. and tacos.  And sure enough, he starts in on tacos after that.  Yeah, they're not at all the same, two completely different cities in two completely different parts of the country.  And they both suck now.  I didn't even order a burger, just had  root beer.  Fuck adler.  I want some tacos tomorrow for lunch though

• Hook 'Em 1