What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

5 hours ago, Modessit said:

the oft-mentioned "225 officers per 100k people for cities with a population over 500k", then we should have 2218 officers

who mentions that? That's a weirdly specific ratio and it seems pretty arbitrary to me.

Look at this data:

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/85-002-x/2018001/article/54912/tbl/tbl02-eng.htm

Ontario's rate is 183 and BC's is 186, and it's even lower if you exclude the mounties. I would image Austin's rate skyrockets if you include DPS, Rangers, and all the federal agencies. Is Canada plagued by crime due to a ratio lower than your preferred 225 per 100k?

23 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Anyone seeing any sort of effect of Dell's surging stock price around town? Does anyone still work there? Stock price has just soared and it's got to be making some folks flush.

image.png.8298ccec360dacd907832be93f805d4d.png

They had a round of layoffs and investors love that

https://communityimpact.com/austin/south-central-austin/transportation/2024/04/01/austin-rolls-out-new-e-scooter-regulations-limits-operations

The total number of e-scooters allowed in the city has been curbed following the exit of Superpedestrian and its Link scooters last year. The fleet sizes of Bird and Lime, the two remaining operators, are being maintained.

Mendoza also said Austin will now be "holding the line" at just two operators and no longer licensing any additional companies .

Previously, nearly 9,000 total e-scooter devices were allowed to be in service across Austin. Now, the Transportation and Public Works Department is capping that total at just 6,700—leaving Lime with 3,700 and Bird with around 3,000. The average number of scooter devices on city streets had typically exceeded 6,700 devices since mid-2021.

Additionally, the transportation department is phasing out the use of dockless e-bikes citywide, leaving only the city and CapMetro's docked MetroBike program.

Other e-scooter rule changes now in effect include:

• Limiting the number of scooters allowed in Austin's "urban core" by 50%, leaving Bird and Lime with an allowance of 1,125 devices each around downtown and south of Lady Bird Lake
  • Restricting scooter speed limits in nightlife districts by 5 miles per hour between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.
  • Requiring scooter operators to stage their devices in designated areas on a regular basis, rather than leaving them to be freely distributed across the city

While scooter staging areas will start off as marked spaces on the ground, Mendoza said they could eventually be "hardened" into more permanent corrals. The change stems from worries about community aesthetics, business storefront access and Americans with Disabilities Act accessibility along streets and sidewalks.

Building off a previous pilot program, Mendoza said permanently blocking scooter access along Congress Avenue is another concept now under consideration as the city seeks to revamp many aspects of the key downtown corridor.

“We just need to reach a medium where all these modes of mobility can coexist harmoniously in the same space," he said of the updates.

It's weird to me sometimes that we banned ride-sharing platforms in this city and then shortly thereafter enabled thousands and thousands of e-scooters to fill up our streets and sidewalks.  I used to use the e-scooters when I worked downtown because it just beat walking in the heat in a suit more expedited.  And most folks that live here, use them responsibly.  It's the folks you can tell are from out of town, half-drunk, that drive them like fucking morons with zero nods to safety and norms.  

The thing that baffles me though, in an almost entertaining way, is where you see some one-off scooter just left in the strangest place.  Like, we've all made bad choices in our younger years.  But I've seen some abandoned scooters literally on highways.  The strangest one to this day was as I was driving on the MoPac access road at Barton Skyway.  It was a scooter in the grass, on its side.  With a crutch laid upon it.  Like an injury crutch you'd get from a hospital.  To this day, I don't know if it was a really elaborate prank or some kind of miracle.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Put me down for scooters suck. Good idea, but terrible implementation. 

Friend of ours is a nurse who occasionally works ER shifts.  She says nay nay stay away.  Sees more Saturday night head injuries than you can shake a stick at.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Friend of ours is a nurse who occasionally works ER shifts.  She says nay nay stay away.  Sees more Saturday night head injuries than you can shake a stick at.

My wife previously had a coworker whose college aged son took a header off of one late at night on S Congress. Kid spent a couple of days in the hospital and ended up requiring tens of thousands of dollars in dental and reconstructive surgery. If I remember correctly, he also ended up having to withdraw from school and miss a semester.

Just now, royiv said:

My wife previously had a coworker whose college aged son took a header off of one late at night on S Congress. Kid spent a couple of days in the hospital and ended up requiring tens of thousands of dollars in dental and reconstructive surgery. If I remember correctly, he also ended up having to withdraw from school and miss a semester.

I've used them twice, and they just make me uneasy.  Trucking along at a decent speed (even when I dial it down, it's still moving pretty well), with no helmet and road potholes and cracks to hit all over.  Not a fan.  

Yeah, the scooters need to go at a jogging speed. 5-7 mph. They also need to have some sort of dock to dock mechanism to where if you take it from one dock and don't return it, there's a big fee. 

The scooters laying everywhere stuff and in the lake just sucks.

7 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah, the scooters need to go at a jogging speed. 5-7 mph. They also need to have some sort of dock to dock mechanism to where if you take it from one dock and don't return it, there's a big fee. 

The scooters laying everywhere stuff and in the lake just sucks.

Dock to Dock mechanism?  You know how I know you're gay?  NTTAWWT

When I worked downtown I used to see scooter wipeouts weekly, like the universe was trying to reassert balance.  

Given it appeared to be mostly visitors I just figured this had become part of the Austin experience. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, royiv said:

we know someone with an identical story. was your wife in education? 

29 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Eat some BBQ, wipeout on a scooter, get murdered by @Nicole44.

Sounds like you gotta nice little Tuesday planned.  

Last weekend, I saw one those mobile pedal bar deals heading down West 6th Street.  And a hipster on an e-scooter almost ran into it.  And I need to drive more safely, but I thought I was looking straight into the center of Austin at that moment.  

59 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Sounds like you gotta nice little Tuesday planned.  

Last weekend, I saw one those mobile pedal bar deals heading down West 6th Street.  And a hipster on an e-scooter almost ran into it.  And I need to drive more safely, but I thought I was looking straight into the center of Austin at that moment.  

You were looking into the abyss and it was looking back at you. 

• Like 1

*Canada stats*

Yeah, I typically go find crime and police data from other countries with different laws to support my arguments on why Austin has too many police, too.

Next you'll be telling me how Copenhagen and Baltimore are basically the same because the population is the same. Yet Copenhagen has increased their police force by quite a bit since 2016 and crime rates have been declining steadily over the same time period. Baltimore has decreased their police force and has one of the highest crime rates in the country. I wonder what's different been the two when they both have similar populations and similar amount of officers?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Modessit said:

Yeah, I typically go find crime and police data from other countries with different laws to support my arguments on why Austin has too many police, too.

Next you'll be telling me how Copenhagen and Baltimore are basically the same because the population is the same. Yet Copenhagen has increased their police force by quite a bit since 2016 and crime rates have been declining steadily over the same time period. Baltimore has decreased their police force and has one of the highest crime rates in the country. I wonder what's different been the two when they both have similar populations and similar amount of officers?

I'm not the one who came in here claiming that 225 officers per 100k is the ideal ratio. If that were true, you'd think the country closest to us from a geographic and cultural standpoint would have high crime due to not having enough police.

Baltimore crime was high before these police force decreases, right? It's also worth mentioning that Baltimore City's ratio far surpasses the supposedly ideal ratio of 225/100k.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I've used them twice, and they just make me uneasy.  Trucking along at a decent speed (even when I dial it down, it's still moving pretty well), with no helmet and road potholes and cracks to hit all over.  Not a fan.  

Living in San Marcos. They are usually tossed on my front lawn. I let my dog go and piss on them. The scooters, not the drunk bobcats.

On 4/4/2024 at 8:22 AM, chainsaw said:

who mentions that? That's a weirdly specific ratio and it seems pretty arbitrary to me.

Look at this data:

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/85-002-x/2018001/article/54912/tbl/tbl02-eng.htm

Ontario's rate is 183 and BC's is 186, and it's even lower if you exclude the mounties. I would image Austin's rate skyrockets if you include DPS, Rangers, and all the federal agencies. Is Canada plagued by crime due to a ratio lower than your preferred 225 per 100k?

They had a round of layoffs and investors love that

For what it's worth, from someone who lived there, has family there, and visits multiple times per year, gang crime in Toronto and surrounding areas if fucking awful.  Austin is a much safer city.

I don't need statistics to know we have no police in Austin.  You never see any like you used to.  I kind of like it that way, personally, except for the demolition derby our streets have become.  If we could bring back only traffic cops with a limited scope of responsibilities, I might get behind that.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

For what it's worth, from someone who lived there, has family there, and visits multiple times per year, gang crime in Toronto and surrounding areas if fucking awful.  Austin is a much safer city.

I don't need statistics to know we have no police in Austin.  You never see any like you used to.  I kind of like it that way, personally, except for the demolition derby our streets have become.  If we could bring back only traffic cops with a limited scope of responsibilities, I might get behind that.

Toronto crime is not out of control. Like any major city, there are rough areas, but it's not a reason to overfund and overhire a bunch of useless, unaccountable people like we've done in Texas.

25 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I don't need statistics to know we have no police in Austin.  You never see any like you used to.

Really?  I see plenty.  Granted, I work behind Q2 Stadium and that neighborhood gets a little sketchy if you go a little east, but I see cops on MoPac, etc. most every day.  I'm not sure if their presense is reduced, I've never counted, but it doesn't feel like Austin is the wild west of random traffic crime.

Cops on MoPac today vs 10-15 years ago is absolutely reduced.  There used to be spots all up and down where they'd hide and snipe you, but most of those spots are gone now w/ the new construction.  Not sure the last time I've seen a cop on MoPac that wasn't in transit.  I'm personally thankful, as I have a heavy right foot.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Cops on MoPac today vs 10-15 years ago is absolutely reduced.  There used to be spots all up and down where they'd hide and snipe you, but most of those spots are gone now w/ the new construction.  Not sure the last time I've seen a cop on MoPac that wasn't in transit.  I'm personally thankful, as I have a heavy right foot.

Lulz. Literally saw them today. They like it up north near 360/Braker/Parmer.

Yup.  I saw one a couple of hours ago parked on the northbound shoulder just south of the Steck exit.

Their vehicles are stealthier, thay may contribute to some of the perception that there are no cops out there.  The old Crown Vics have given way to Ford SUVs of various ilk, and lord knows Austin has a bajillion small SUVs on the road.  Plus, the light bars are tiny now.

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

I feel like there was a City Council specific thread somewhere, but couldn't find it.  This got a chuckle out of me:

I don't want to be insensitive to how people identify and all that.  Given that I come from a somewhat unique mixed ethnic blend and all.  But I gotta wonder...what kinda child those two would make?  Like, would be it straight up black somehow?  Or would it be even lighter than they are and then the kid passes themselves off as black later in life?  Mother nature is a mad scientist, jerry!  

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Really?  I see plenty.  Granted, I work behind Q2 Stadium and that neighborhood gets a little sketchy if you go a little east, but I see cops on MoPac, etc. most every day.  I'm not sure if their presense is reduced, I've never counted, but it doesn't feel like Austin is the wild west of random traffic crime.

It's anecdotal, for sure, and again I don't really care that much, but yeah, I see people driving like maniacs much more now than before the pandemic, and I can't remember the last time I saw a car pulled over by APD.  It's been years.  Seems like an active choice on their part to just not bother.  I'm sure they have a couple of hot spots they still go raise a few bucks at, but there is no type of consistent presence or active involvement in curtailing dangerous driving that I'm seeing.  I saw some DPS bullshit when they were running rampant, but that wasn't traffic control.

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

Toronto crime is not out of control. Like any major city, there are rough areas, but it's not a reason to overfund and overhire a bunch of useless, unaccountable people like we've done in Texas.

Well, thanks for putting words in my mouth.  I agree it's not out of control, but it is a significant problem.  I'm curious—do you live there? Because I don't know a single person in Toronto who would agree with you, and I know a LOT of people there. You brought up Ontario police stats when it's not a reasonable comparison at all, given two very different sets of laws, the difference in the number of guns on the streets, and a significant difference in culture. I'm actually on your side on this issue, but I would find a better way to make your argument. 

Crime in Toronto is significantly worse than in Austin, and anyone who has spent time in both cities will tell you that. And no, it's not only in the rough areas of town. There are certainly quiet suburbs, but I'm talking about the city.  Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing city. I would move back in a heartbeat, and our many family members still love living there.  The crime shouldn't be a deterrent for anyone, just like the crime in Austin shouldn't be a deterrent for anyone coming here. However, arguing that their crime is really low despite having few cops is disingenuous and serves no point. I agree it doesn't mean they should go hire a bunch of goons like we do, but they don't do that anyway.  Police brutality is nowhere near the issue in Canada as it is here.  They absolutely have a violent gang problem in Toronto, however, and it's a constant point of debate and contention for residents because law enforcement is doing very little to curtail it.  These issues exist even in the absence of jackbooted thugs with badges running around like we have in the States.

5 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Well, thanks for putting words in my mouth.  I agree it's not out of control, but it is a significant problem.  I'm curious—do you live there? Because I don't know a single person in Toronto who would agree with you, and I know a LOT of people there. You brought up Ontario police stats when it's not a reasonable comparison at all, given two very different sets of laws, the difference in the number of guns on the streets, and a significant difference in culture. I'm actually on your side on this issue, but I would find a better way to make your argument. 

Crime in Toronto is significantly worse than in Austin, and anyone who has spent time in both cities will tell you that. And no, it's not only in the rough areas of town. There are certainly quiet suburbs, but I'm talking about the city.  Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing city. I would move back in a heartbeat, and our many family members still love living there.  The crime shouldn't be a deterrent for anyone, just like the crime in Austin shouldn't be a deterrent for anyone coming here. However, arguing that their crime is really low despite having few cops is disingenuous and serves no point. I agree it doesn't mean they should go hire a bunch of goons like we do, but they don't do that anyway.  Police brutality is nowhere near the issue in Canada as it is here.  They absolutely have a violent gang problem in Toronto, however, and it's a constant point of debate and contention for residents because law enforcement is doing very little to curtail it.  These issues exist even in the absence of jackbooted thugs with badges running around like we have in the States.

Yeah that's true gun culture and availability are very different. I still don't see why there has to be 225 cops for every 100,000 residents. It reminds me of dairy lobbyists saying we should consume way more milk than most people can tolerate. Toronto's crime situation might not be perfect, but I've seen no evidence that it's any worse than most major cities in the US. Dallas, for example.

Dallas has 226 cops per 100k residents (so it meets this arbitrary standard) with 778 violent crimes per 100k people. That's a higher violent crime rate than Toronto. Maybe it's the guns, but Austin has guns too yet way fewer violent crimes per 100k people. All the same incentives for "under reporting" the violent crime rate in Austin are present for Dallas and Houston, where the violent crime rates are much higher despite having more police per capita than Austin.

Austin might have the right amount of cops, or it might have too many. But they are definitely overpaid and we definitely do not need more of them.

3 hours ago, chainsaw said:

A licky boom boom down
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Lulz. Literally saw them today. They like it up north near 360/Braker/Parmer.

eh, idgaf about anything N of the Domain, because I might be up that way 3x/year.  Never see them anywhere near the arboretum.  Why would they be?  It's deadlocked most of the time. Who's speeding through there?  Used to be a beating driving down 360 w/ cops posted up in the median w/ their lights off at night, but now those catch fences are there, so that's done with.

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yup.  I saw one a couple of hours ago parked on the northbound shoulder just south of the Steck exit.

That's where they used to feast. There and just south at Far West/Anderson.  Barely a presence now compared to before the toll lane and sound barriers.  

Austin has always been one of the lowest cop:population cities in America.  This is nothing new, even if it is to a higher degree.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Mittens said:

eh, idgaf about anything N of the Domain, because I might be up that way 3x/year.  Never see them anywhere near the arboretum.  Why would they be?  It's deadlocked most of the time. Who's speeding through there?  Used to be a beating driving down 360 w/ cops posted up in the median w/ their lights off at night, but now those catch fences are there, so that's done with.

That's where they used to feast. There and just south at Far West/Anderson.  Barely a presence now compared to before the toll lane and sound barriers.  

Austin has always been one of the lowest cop:population cities in America.  This is nothing new, even if it is to a higher degree.

I got pulled over a few months ago headed north on Mopac near 45th.  Expired registration.  "I'm sorry officer, I guess I let the covid-era leniency get in my head."  Never mind that I had registered post covid.  Middle aged white guy driving a Toyota sedan has its advantages.

That's amazing to me - a cop on MoPac pulling people over that far south, not the white privilege.  Also reminds me that my registration sticker is on my desk and the sticker on my window reads 2/24.

That's amazing to me - a cop on MoPac pulling people over that far south, not the white privilege.  Also reminds me that my registration sticker is on my desk and the sticker on my window reads 2/24.

I, literally today, registered my truck. For the first time since 2013. The gal said it’s the longest gap she’s ever seen. I lied and said it had been on my ranch for the past 10 years.
  • Haha 2

Yeah, fighting the homeless issue by defunding the police, that's a solution.

Well part of “defunding” APD was reallocating resources to social services as well as responsibilities from APD so they could focus on crime.

Social workers dont have a union so that doesnt go over as well.

17 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I almost never see radar cops since COVID. On the one hand, radar cops make people drive safer, which is a good thing. On the other hand, I don't like getting speeding tickets. 

Covid v radar cops....tough choice but probably covid

15 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don’t care who you are this is good bull

Honestly, not a bad play here Watson.

R/Austin is what made this meme famous and they are usually in line with whatever the Austin Chronicle says to do, voting wise. Win the hearts and minds of Reddit and you'll get a few votes.