Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

Brian Perroni 67294 posts

7 hours agoVIP

Texas A&M now has 21 commitments in the class, so the remaining spots are at a premium. The Aggies can technically sign 28 with three being able to count back to last year, but there may not be room for that many. Still, it’s a good assumption it will at the very least be close to that.

QUARTERBACK

A&M has its quarterback in Zach Calzada and he is solid. SoCal QB Jayden Daniels says he is still in contact with the Aggies and he may be too talented to not still recruit, but it is very unlikely to happen. He still looks to be UCLA-bound.

RUNNING BACK

Four-star Isaiah Spiller is ranked as the state’s top back and is the main Aggie target at the position. It is pretty much an A&M/OU race at this point. He had originally planned to make his decision in or after the season but now wants to get it out of the way before his senior year begins.

Spiller has not been on any official visits to this point and has not been on any unofficial trips anywhere this summer. With his dad Fred having playing at A&M, Spiller is a legacy and likes the Aggies a lot. He is close to quite a few of the current commitments and my Crystal Ball is still on A&M.

If he goes with the Sooners, though, you could see A&M make a press for Deondrick Glass. Like most highly-ranked prospects from Katy, Glass does not seen in any hurry to decide. He has been to College Station multiple times and A&M has done very well in Katy ISD as of late.

WIDE RECEIVER

A&M has three commitments at the position in Kam Brown, Chase Lane and Kenyon Jackson. Right now, there is only one other primary target.

West Mesquite’s Dylan Wright is basically an A&M/Texas battle at this point. He does not plan to announce until early January at the Under Armour game but the Aggies are in a good spot. He is also very close to several of the current pledges and spent some time with them at The Opening as he was there to watch. After a pair of recent unofficials to A&M, I put in my Crystal Ball pick for the Aggies and I feel pretty good about it at this point. It is by no means a done deal, though.

The one other player to watch, should things not be going well with Wright at some point, is TJ Jones out of Florida. He took an official visit this spring and has a lot of interest in A&M. Right now, he looks to be the odd man out, though, with not many spots left.

TIGHT END

A&M has its top target committed in four-star Baylor Cupp. The Aggies believe they have an incredible playmaker at the position in Cupp and he should play really early.

They are still after Jalen Wydermyer from Dickinson as well, though. Wydermyer has legitimate transportation issues and was not able to make it to the Aggie Elite Day as well as one of the summer camp days after originally planning to be there. A&M is still after him, however. He has several offers and schools after him but, at the moment, A&M and Miami would be the top two. He does not plan to decide soon, though, and will use several officials in the fall.

OFFENSIVE LINE

A&M has three tackles in five-star Kenyon Green and three-stars Adrian Medley and Blake Trainorcommitted. The fourth commit, Layden Robinson, will likely play center but could end up as a guard if they feel they need him more there.

The Aggies are still after four-star tackle Javonne Shepherd of Houston North Forest, but Texas has taken the lead there. He plans to take officials but, if spots fill up, I honestly don’t know what the numbers would look like as far as having more room on the offensive line.

One other player to keep an eye on is Medley’s teammate, guard Hunter Rayburn. He was very close to committing to A&M when he decided for Clemson recently. However, the door is not completely shut there. Jim Turner is a big fan of both Pensacola linemen so the Aggies very well could decide to make room if Rayburn changes his mind.

DEFENSIVE LINE

A&M has top 100 prospect DeMarvin Leal committed. Though he weighs 280 pounds already, he is being recruited as a strongside defensive end – the same role as Bobby Brown from last year’s class.

At tackle, the Aggies have four-star Josh Ellison in the fold and added Adarious Jones from Virginia over the weekend. They are likely done with pure defensive tackles, though Florida’s Jaquaze Sorrells is still talking about officially visiting. He is planning to commit in late August and it will likely be to South Carolina, but he still may visit Aggieland after. Five-star Ishmael Sopsher plans to take an official visit to A&M as well, but he will likely end up at either Alabama or LSU.

Katy Mayde Creek’s Marcus Stripling will likely end up as a three-tech and he worked inside at The Opening, looking more comfortable there each day. He continues to say publicly that he wants to take his visits and wait until signing day to announce, but I still doubt that happens. He is a very heavy Aggie lean and all the commitments as of late have him at least considering joining in sooner rather than later.

On the edge, things could get interesting. A&M has four-star Braedon Mowry committed and there is also a chance RJ Orebo grows into that role, though he is still being pegged as a linebacker.

A&M will likely add one more and it will probably be one of two plays – David Ugwoegbu of Katy Seven Lakes or Adisa Isaac out of Brooklyn. Ugwoegbu is not a huge fan of the recruiting process and has not taken a ton of visits but he was in Aggieland recently. A&M would be considered the favorite there. However, he does not seem in a hurry to make a pledge. Isaac is an A&M/Penn State battle at this point. He does not have a timeline either. I honestly am not sure at this point which one A&M would take if forced to choose, but they couldn’t go wrong with either one. I believe they will end up with one of the pair.

LINEBACKER

After Andre White Jr. made one of the more surprising commitments I’ve seen since covering A&M while on a short unofficial, I was skeptical about his pledge sticking. So were quite a few others. However, he made it back to A&M for the Aggie Elite Day and says he is done with the recruiting process. He is someone A&M loves and was a huge steal out of Pennsylvania.

In addition to Orebo, the Aggies also have Tarian Lee Jr. out of Florida committed. Lee will likely play the Rover position for the Aggies.

There likely is just room for one more pure linebacker and I think it will be Christian Harris out of Baton Rouge. He is a big fan of Mike Elko and things went very well on his visit to the Elite Day. Word out of Louisiana is that a decision could happen not too far off, though again, that is not a certainty.

What could be interesting, though, is whether Alabama has room for four-star Kane Patterson from Nashville. He has taken a little longer than expected to decide. Most thought he would choose the Crimson Tide but they could be in a numbers crunch as well. If there is no room there, he could very well be too good for the Aggies to pass up and he is higher on A&M than most had originally thought.

If both Harris and Patterson want to come aboard, some decisions would have to be made elsewhere.

I should also mention five-star Nakobe Dean out of Mississippi. He has very sincere interest and was in town for the Aggie Elite Day but, as of now, I don’t think he will end up at A&M. But, he is the type of player that there will always be a spot for. Wide receiver Devonta Lee out of Louisiana is also being recruited as a linebacker, but he will likely end up at LSU or Alabama.

DEFENSIVE BACK

A&M is done at safety with five-star Brian Williamsand four-star Demani Richardson. At corner, the Aggies went from no commits to two four-stars in the past two days with Bobby Wolfe and Erick Young both announcing their decisions.

I believe the final spot will go to four-star Jeffery Carter of Mansfield Legacy and I think it could happen in the next month or so. He has been very, very close to committing to A&M in the past but has also been on the verge of committing to Alabama and Oregon as well, as he admitted. However, the Aggies have been the one constant. He spent a ton of time with all four of the Aggie defensive back commits at The Opening and there was a ton of talk about him possibly being the next guy to join the class.

A&M is still in contact with Jaydon Hill out of Alabama, but he is unlikely to end up at A&M. And, despite what many posters expect, I believe Marquez Beason will stick with his Illinois pledge.

KICKER

A&M has one of the country’s best committed in Caden Davis from Coppell. He is set to graduate early and enroll in January. Davis made his way out to The Opening on Sunday to watch his fellow commits

10 hours ago, Handcruser said:

That has nothing to do with him being an outstanding person and wonderful human being.

Please tell the story you promised to tell....not some anus driveling spunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great band name???

11 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Well I was under the impression you guys wanted to hear about his Texas recruitment firsthand which is what I said I'd do. 

But to your post he's a mentor at the local elementary  school, gets good grades and goes to church. Outside of this stunt on Twitter he's known as incredibly quiet and reserved, no gimmick kid. But I'll never convince yall this was a one off stunt anyways so I'll save the keystrokes and back into the hedges slowly Ala Homer J simpson

He's a piece of shit. I like how he trolled three schools he doesn't have to play. Pussy.

23 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

It's like watching Texas recruiting from 2010-13 from afar, all of these 5* freshman are going to come in and start right away and turn things around. 

Over even more recently in ‘14-15, where we were convinced Malik was going to dominate as a freshman, and Boyd and Hill were going to instantly return us to DBU status. It’ll be fun to watch the growing pains when kids don’t pan out for them in a 75 million dollar pressure cooker from Kroger. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Over even more recently in ‘14-15, where we were convinced Malik was going to dominate as a freshman, and Boyd and Hill were going to instantly return us to DBU status. It’ll be fun to watch the growing pains when kids don’t pan out for them in a 75 million dollar pressure cooker from Kroger. 

One of the biggest come to Jesus I think we as fans had to face in the past few years was the concept of player development. It's very easy for every fanbase to take it for granted. We assumed it under late Mack Brown even knowing Jeff Madden was a fucking curse and even our better coaches like Akina had holes in their coaching. We were assumptive about defensive development under Strong because because defensive wizard. And we watched guys languish for years. After watching our defense progress with mishmashed parts under Orlando, it's probably the first time we had seen real development in a number of players and a coach or set of coaches who clearly know what the fuck they're doing with player development. Malik, Brandon Jones, Gary Johnson, Hagar/Omenihu, Kris fucking Boyd...all players that unquestionably progressed as the year rolled on....which is also impressive because some of those guys were 3 year players who had stagnated. 

What's my fucking point? Watching aTm take the same things for granted with a staff that has been known for years as recruiting aces but not necessarily coaching and development wizards has a high potential for schadenfreude. 

• Like 8

I know we've touched on this, but it is pretty interesting to watch what is happening in BCS. They're taking a bunch of character issue guys and grade risks, and a bunch of mercenaries or players with bad hangers on within their circle. This will either blow-up hilariously and the attrition will ultimately be off the charts, or this has the makings of an outlaw program with no moral compass a la ATM under Sherrill, OU under Switzer, and Miami generally. That's somewhat ominous to me. 

Look at the players:

2018-

-Bobby Brown - a flake who juked around with multiple schools until the last second and also looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane.

-Tank Jenkins - auction

-Jashaun Corbin - auction

-James Foster - auction that the in-state schools more or less ignored until Bama got desperate late.

-Vernon Jackson - flake who thinks he's going to play TB at ATM and be a star. Note: Oscar Giles failed to offer him the opportunity to start out at TB until the afternoon of signing day. Strong work, Oscar. 

-Leon O'Neal - an undertalented, overrated prima donna who expects to start early and be a high draft pick after 3 years. A shattered worldview for this guy will be one of the greatest aggie meltdowns in years.

2019-

-Erick Young - TankedBevo's plaintive protestations aside, this dude pulled a stunt I've never even seen before and showed us who he is in the process.

-Bobby Wolfe - the 2019 version of Leon O'Neal. Getting these two goobers in the same DB film room will probably asphyxiate everyone else due to a lack of oxygen being present when they're done talking/beating chests.

-Bobby Williams - a stud who shut everything down in one visit and is not speaking to anyone else, anywhere. ATM struck an absolutely great deal here with the family.

-Jeffery Carter - he has a turd hanging on to him that has caused many programs to end pursuit. It's pretty bad if that happens. He's a stud player with a helicopter parent firing RPGs from above, so it should be awesome to witness. 

-Kenyon Green - I told the story of his dad allegedly trying to find a bidding war for his kid's attendance to an all-star game. I've never heard of that one before, but it's hilarious. Anyway, another one who thinks he's one thing, but he projects as something else, and not a person around him has ever told him otherwise or thought it themselves.

-Tarian Lee - needs a brain transplant to get into college.

-Andre White - another guy who visits one time and shuts everything down and won't speak to anyone. Okay.

-Beason and Brooks - I don't think ATM is done looking at either of these two.

They'll also look to close around signing day on some of the purer auctions with guys who either never visit or mention them until the final 2-3 weeks of this period, or guys that the local programs simply will not touch, hence their availability. 

Can you build a program around these types? Florida did it, but they also had a transcendent leader who kept the thugs in line. Things went sideways when he was done. Earlier examples don't fit due to the high, high level of talent that was being purchased, and locally, for OU, ATM, and Miami when they were doing what they were doing. All three of those scenarios ended badly nonetheless. Only ATM was incompetent enough to not win at least one MNC during their run. 

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I know we've touched on this, but it is pretty interesting to watch what is happening in BCS. They're taking a bunch of character issue guys and grade risks, and a bunch of mercenaries or players with bad hangers on within their circle. This will either blow-up hilariously and the attrition will ultimately be off the charts, or this has the makings of an outlaw program with no moral compass a la ATM under Sherrill, OU under Switzer, and Miami generally. That's somewhat ominous to me. 

Look at the players:

2018-

-Bobby Brown - a flake who juked around with multiple schools until the last second and also looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane.

-Tank Jenkins - auction

-James Foster - auction that the in-state schools more or less ignored until Bama got desperate late.

-Vernon Jackson - flake who thinks he's going to play TB at ATM and be a star. Note: Oscar Giles failed to offer him the opportunity to start out at TB until the afternoon of signing day. Strong work, Oscar. 

-Leon O'Neal - an undertalented, overrated prima donna who expects to start early and be a high draft pick after 3 years. A shattered worldview for this guy will be one of the greatest aggie meltdowns in years.

2019-

-Erick Young - TankedBevo's plaintive protestations aside, this dude pulled a stunt I've never even seen before and showed us who he is in the process.

-Bobby Wolfe - the 2019 version of Leon O'Neal. Getting these two goobers in the same DB film room will probably asphyxiate everyone else due to a lack of oxygen being present when they're done talking/beating chests.

-Bobby Williams - a stud who shut everything down in one visit and is not speaking to anyone else, anywhere. ATM struck an absolutely great deal here with the family.

-Jeffery Carter - he has a turd hanging on to him that has caused many programs to end pursuit. It's pretty bad if that happens. He's a stud player with a helicopter parent firing RPGs from above, so it should be awesome to witness. 

-Kenyon Green - I told the story of his dad allegedly trying to find a bidding war for his kid's attendance to an all-star game. I've never heard of that one before, but it's hilarious. Anyway, another one who thinks he's one thing, but he projects as something else, and not a person around him has ever told him otherwise or thought it themselves.

-Andre White - another guy who visits one time and shuts everything down and won't speak to anyone. Okay.

They'll also look to close around signing day on some of the purer auctions with guys who either never visit or mention them until the final 2-3 weeks of this period, or guys that the local programs simply will not touch, hence their availability. 

Can you build a program around these types? Florida did it, but they also had a transcendent leader who kept the thugs in line. Things went sideways when he was done. Earlier examples don't fit due to the high, high level of talent that was being purchased, and locally, for OU, ATM, and Miami when they were doing what they were doing. All three of those scenarios ended badly nonetheless. Only ATM was incompetent enough to not win at least one MNC during their run. 

Add the requisite aggy overexpectations and outsized delusions of grandeur that come with a $75m contract with a coach who has basically promised a national championship... and you’ve got real potential for the greatest schadenfreude this side of the Pecos. 

Edited by BigBenBamboozle

Sydney and CTJ make great (but different) points.  I'm excited to watch the character risk/mercenary types go into a program with what is likely going to be super shitty player development in a location that already had trouble keeping players in line.  Got to imagine these guys don't have much loyalty/stick around when all the promises of playing time/starting opportunities don't pan out immediately.  Also gotta think that these kinds of guys are waaaay more likely to transfer out once they get a taste (pun intended) of Schmidt's vomit-inducing workouts. 

Jimbo benefited from being the biggest fish in a historically bad pond--winning ACC championship after ACC championship where many years he played few or no other ranked teams.  Even FSU's national championship game in the last year of the BCS where they came back to beat a relatively poor Auburn team that stumbled into the final on pure luck (the tipped hail mary against UGA; the "Kick Six" against Bama; facing a totally overmatched Mizzou team in the SEC championship; etc.).  He won't have that luxury in the SEC West.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Look at the players:

2018-

-Tank Jenkins - auction

2019-

Also unlike those programs if A&M rocks the boat to much and bama, UGA, LSU will throw them to the wolves.

Edited by Not a Sock

I’m excited knowing that this class will easily reset the offseason expectations sky high for a couple of seasons.  After this coming season it will be wait until 2019 when these guys come in and take over as freshmen, then when most don’t play or don’t play well or often, it will be wait until 2020 now that these guys have a year experience in the bah gawd sec. 

if they haven’t won their division by then, they will start getting restless and looking at the 7 years left they have. 

Look at the players:
2018-
-Tank Jenkins - auction

2019-

Schools can win a title with several weak character guys: Nebraska, Miami, etc. Long-term success is a little more tricky.

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

One of the biggest come to Jesus I think we as fans had to face in the past few years was the concept of player development. It's very easy for every fanbase to take it for granted. We assumed it under late Mack Brown even knowing Jeff Madden was a fucking curse and even our better coaches like Akina had holes in their coaching. We were assumptive about defensive development under Strong because because defensive wizard. And we watched guys languish for years. After watching our defense progress with mishmashed parts under Orlando, it's probably the first time we had seen real development in a number of players and a coach or set of coaches who clearly know what the fuck they're doing with player development. Malik, Brandon Jones, Gary Johnson, Hagar/Omenihu, Kris fucking Boyd...all players that unquestionably progressed as the year rolled on....which is also impressive because some of those guys were 3 year players who had stagnated. 

What's my fucking point? Watching aTm take the same things for granted with a staff that has been known for years as recruiting aces but not necessarily coaching and development wizards has a high potential for schadenfreude. 

Nailed it! Excellent!

Edited by Bevojoe

2 hours ago, Leanderman said:

I can't wait for the arrest records to start rolling in on these guys either. Dumbo has a long record of recruiting "choir boys" in his programs. 

Yep! But they’ll just SEC any issues and get them back on the field. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Look at the players:

2018-

-Tank Jenkins - auction

2019-

your slow march towards crazy on this website is a hell of a thing to behold. and i am here for it.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, bizzle said:

your slow march towards crazy on this website is a hell of a thing to behold. and i am here for it.

I've been where you're at, man, and I feel for you. You really, really need this coaching hire to work out and you've convinced yourself that it will, and cleanly. Anyone or anything referencing otherwise must be a rube, a loon, or both. 

That all said, I've merely aged like a fine wine. I'm taking a position based on what I believe, just like I always have. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bizzle said:

It is funny that after your plug and play Coach didn’t work out, you seemed to disappear into some Canadian mist. Now that Jimmy is sitting pretty at the Auction Hall, you found your peacock costume again. 

If he stumbles, will you be off to Canada again?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It is funny that after your plug and play Coach didn’t work out, you seemed to disappear into some Canadian mist. Now that Jimmy is sitting pretty at the Auction Hall, you found your peacock costume again. 

If he stumbles, will you be off to Canada again?

I remember trying to explain to him that Kevin Sumlin called plays for precisely 6 games in 2002 and that was the extent of his offensive play calling experience.  He was so, so sure that Rumlin was a badass offensive mind.  

Then he went to Vancouver.  Where there is no internet. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Why do they think their class is that great?   It’s a bunch of 3 stars.  Similar to their 2002 class or many other classes.  They don’t have nearly enough elite and too much bread.  

Stars don't matter. Their coaches find diamonds in the rough and can coach up anyone. Unless of course they land a five star, then the story is that all five stars are dying to play for Jimbo in the Station.

There is really no use in arguing with people that have a ready made, universally parroted excuse for every single talking point.

Edited by Orange^White
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Why do they think their class is that great?   It’s a bunch of 3 stars.  Similar to their 2002 class or many other classes.  They don’t have nearly enough elite and too much bread.  

Its actually a pretty good class so far. But if/when they land Stripling, Carter, Harris, Spiller and Isaac (give or take one or two) their class will be solidly in the 280s. They'll end up 5-7 and have a nice class. Very unlikely to break top 4 like UT's last year but will be good. No way they end up better than UGA, OSU or Bama. I'm sure someone else will sneak up there too. 

• Fuck You 3

4 minutes ago, Walter White said:

Its actually a pretty good class so far. But if/when they land Stripling, Carter, Harris, Spiller and Isaac (give or take one or two) their class will be solidly in the 280s. They'll end up 5-7 and have a nice class. Very unlikely to break top 4 like UT's last year but will be good. No way they end up better than UGA, OSU or Bama. I'm sure someone else will sneak up there too. 

Is this what Luicci is telling you?

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I've been where you're at, man, and I feel for you. You really, really need this coaching hire to work out and you've convinced yourself that it will, and cleanly. Anyone or anything referencing otherwise must be a rube, a loon, or both. 

That all said, I've merely aged like a fine wine. I'm taking a position based on what I believe, just like I always have. 

That's a little too real.  We're all still waiting on Shawn Watson to develop Ty Swoopes into the next Teddy Bridgewater.

45 minutes ago, Walter White said:

ha of course - forgot objectivity was lost around here. Thought this place was better than Texags...

You kind of tipped your hand with this one. I don't have particularly good radar, but this is like signalling left and turning right when trying to elude someone in your car. Sorry, bud.

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yep, we already know the marine's OL's have been hot garbage the last 2 years and will be this year.  Terry Price's DE's still can't play the run or defend a read-option.  Peveto is a piss poor LB coach.  Not sure about the goofy CB coach, never heard anything on him.

Why are you talking about me from 2014. It hurts. It hurts bad.
  • Like 1