Cavs vs. Celtics

Sidney Sherman

Stevens knows how to defend James (ie.,this isn't Toronto). Cleveland plays defense once every 4th or 5th possession and that's no match for Boston's scoring ability and athleticism, especially when you've got a coach that can carve up lax defenses. It also doesn't hurt that the Celtics appear to be all in defensively on most every possession.

Inexperience isn't an issue for the Celtics now - they're just playing loose and executing flawlessly and there doesn't appear to be any end to that in sight.

Since everything is fluid in life, I need to change my Cavs pick from 5 to 7. Might be knee jerk after one game as the Thunder looked terrible against the Spurs in game 1 in 2016 and then went on to kick their ass. But I underestimated the Celtics. They are damn good. I still think Lebron and the Cavs find a way to win this series but it will be going to the distance.

6 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Since everything is fluid in life, I need to change my Cavs pick from 5 to 7. Might be knee jerk after one game as the Thunder looked terrible against the Spurs in game 1 in 2016 and then went on to kick their ass. But I underestimated the Celtics. They are damn good. I still think Lebron and the Cavs find a way to win this series but it will be going to the distance.

When Aron Baynes looks more athletic and skilled than any Cavs big man, I'd say they they have issues.

Looking at it from a different angle, aside from James, who from Cleveland's roster could move over to Boston and fill an immediate void.

Cleveland may go ahead and win this series, but a day after the ass whipping, they look old, slow, and lacking motivation.  It was a similar look after Game 1 of the Pacers series, so we will see.  I like Boston's chances more than Indiana's.  

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

When Aron Baynes looks more athletic and skilled than any Cavs big man, I'd say they they have issues.

Looking at it from a different angle, aside from James, who from Cleveland's roster could move over to Boston and fill an immediate void.

Cleveland may go ahead and win this series, but a day after the ass whipping, they look old, slow, and lacking motivation.  It was a similar look after Game 1 of the Pacers series, so we will see.  I like Boston's chances more than Indiana's.  

I will agree it does not look good for Cleveland after yesterday. But Lebron has a history of figuring this out. But also, Boston was shooting lights out for a lot of that game and Cleveland was terrible. That type of trend usually does not hold up for a series. It evens out and the games will be closer.

If this goes to 7 games, what does everyone feel about the celtics chances?  The last place I would be comfortable is in a game 7 against lebron.  If this goes 7 then I don't see the celtics winning just because of him.

Cleveland was terrible on offense because they got shut down
Cleveland is what they are. LeBron and jump shooters. If they are on, they can look unstoppable at times. But if they are off, you get what you got yesterday. They need to find some type of middle ground. I'm a big LeBron fan but he does get blown out a lot in the playoffs. Too much for a player of his status.

Blowouts are so much more common in today's NBA, it's best not to put too much thought into them.  Winning a game by 20+ doesn't necessarily mean you're 20 points better than your opponent like it did when most games finished 93-88.  When teams are shooting 30+ 3's, blowouts are going to happen when one team's hot and/or the other team is cold.  In the 2016 Finals, only two of the 7 games (4 and 7) were close, and that was an all-time great series.

LeBron having a habit of checking out in games where he knows it's not their night is another story, especially when the entire team takes its cues from him.

Edited by aggie08

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Not sensational enough.   Errbody wanna kneejerk.

How is any of this a knee jerk reaction? Cleveland looked like ass in the 4 vs 5 matchup against Indiana and only won by the skin of their teeth because of LeBron’s transcendence. Might I point out that they are the 4 seed for a reason- they haven’t been that good this year. Boston on the other hand won the East and has been fucking awesome all playoffs long and it’s been an entire team effort. There’s no one guy fueling this run. You also may have noticed that the C’s have a slight advantage in the head coaching department, where they’ve been owning everyone. There’s nothing knee jerk about thinking that Boston might just maybe be able to win this series somehow. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

This is the part where everybody overreacts to game 1 of an NBA playoff series. 

That said, what Boston has done this postseason without Irving and Hayward is fairly mind boggling. They have been playing with house money ever since the Milwaukee series. I still think Cleveland pulls out this series but the C's have been amazing.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

How is any of this a knee jerk reaction? Cleveland looked like ass in the 4 vs 5 matchup against Indiana and only won by the skin of their teeth because of LeBron’s transcendence. Might I point out that they are the 4 seed for a reason- they haven’t been that good this year. Boston on the other hand won the East and has been fucking awesome all playoffs long and it’s been an entire team effort. There’s no one guy fueling this run. You also may have noticed that the C’s have a slight advantage in the head coaching department, where they’ve been owning everyone. There’s nothing knee jerk about thinking that Boston might just maybe be able to win this series somehow. 

For fuck's sake. At least think about what you are saying before you are going to type it out. For one, the Celtics did not win the East. The Raptors did. And if you are going to say Cleveland looked like ass in the 1st round, the Celtics needed 7 games to be a worse team than the Pacers were. Boston and Cleveland have been the same these playoffs. 7 game series in the 1st round and won the 2nd round quickly. In fact, Cleveland swept the Raptors and the Celtics needed 5 against the Sixers.

So if Boston has been fucking awesome these playoffs, well so has Cleveland. 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

For fuck's sake. At least think about what you are saying before you are going to type it out. For one, the Celtics did not win the East. The Raptors did. And if you are going to say Cleveland looked like ass in the 1st round, the Celtics needed 7 games to be a worse team than the Pacers were. Boston and Cleveland have been the same these playoffs. 7 game series in the 1st round and won the 2nd round quickly. In fact, Cleveland swept the Raptors and the Celtics needed 5 against the Sixers.

So if Boston has been fucking awesome these playoffs, well so has Cleveland. 

There isn’t a soul on the planet who has watched these playoffs and thinks that Cleveland has been Boston’s equal. Well, besides you. The already-injury-riddled Celtics have battled more injuries and yet as a team have had impressive performances across the board, from Rozier, to Horford, to Tatum, to Smart, and so on. Cleveland has been LeBron and a bunch of old, slow, choking dogs getting carried on his back. And Boston has easily looked better than Cleveland all season long. This isn’t even up for discussion. “Think before you type” he says. How about watch the actual games before you speak.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 3

bd1a6d745e7cd363ffae5bd8532ea7db.jpg

Yeah y’all are getting called out, particularly you Ernest. You can keep negging literally every post I make, but until you join the discussion it means nothing. Y’all are worse than Vic; at least he’s actually participating in the discussion for once. Negging every factual post I make is just childish and sad.

And make no mistake, it is an absolute fact that Boston has been better and looked better than Cleveland for this entire season. It is an especially undeniable fact that Boston’s role players, the guys currently carrying their team towards the Finals, have been MUCH better than Cleveland’s non-LeBron players for this entire season, and especially the postseason. Why anyone would be shocked at the game one result is beyond me, as it was 100% par for the course.

• Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

but until you join the discussion it means nothing.

You mean where I reacted to the only reasonable discussion (shooting statistics) doesn't count?  I look at game 1 like this.  Celtics shot gooder.  Cavs shot badder.  I'll further my judgement of this series when there are more statistics to prove otherwise.  Do I have to say the sky is falling to "add"?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

bd1a6d745e7cd363ffae5bd8532ea7db.jpg

Yeah y’all are getting called out, particularly you Ernest. You can keep negging literally every post I make, but until you join the discussion it means nothing. Y’all are worse than Vic; at least he’s actually participating in the discussion for once. Negging every factual post I make is just childish and sad.

And make no mistake, it is an absolute fact that Boston has been better and looked better than Cleveland for this entire season. It is an especially undeniable fact that Boston’s role players, the guys currently carrying their team towards the Finals, have been MUCH better than Cleveland’s non-LeBron players for this entire season, and especially the postseason. Why anyone would be shocked at the game one result is beyond me, as it was 100% par for the course.

Considering they are all currently "role players", you are correct that they look better. However, this wasn't a game where Harden dropped 41, the team scored 106, and they still lost. This was a game where the best player in the game scored 15, and the team also couldn't hit the broad side of the barn, and they were wide open shots. That is why they are negging you. If Lebron simply goes for his usual 30 that is a tight game. Boston may win the series, but it's way to early to call it.

Edited by Thatguy

26 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Considering they are all currently "role players", you are correct that they look better. However, this wasn't a game where Harden dropped 41, the team scored 106, and they still lost. This was a game where the best player in the game scored 15, and the team also couldn't hit the broad side of the barn, and they were wide open shots. That is why they are negging you. If Lebron simply goes for his usual 30 that is a tight game. Boston may win the series, but it's way to early to call it.

First off, that’s not why they are negging me. The incessant negging has been a ritual for them since before this series even started. Ernest T Bass *just* said so himself. He *just* told you that he’s literally been negging every single post I make in this thread, regardless of content. That’s why I’m calling them out at this point- it’s really weak behavior for guys who don’t even participate in the discussion to go on these serial neg sprees. I wouldn’t even care if it weren’t literally possible to crowd source me by the end of the day. It’s stupid.

Second, you’re not even talking about the same thing as me. It’s not about who’s going to win this series, it’s about my take that the, “Wow, Boston might actually win this series!” sentiment is not at all a knee jerk reaction. They’re acting like nobody thought Boston had a chance to win the series begin with, when again, the indisputable fact is that Boston has been better than Cleveland all year, and that plenty of us picked them to win the series from the beginning for that very reason.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

First off, that’s not why they are negging me. The incessant negging has been a ritual for them since before this series even started. Ernest T Bass *just* said so himself. He *just* told you that he’s literally been negging every single post I make in this thread, regardless of content. That’s why I’m calling them out at this point- it’s really weak behavior for guys who don’t even participate in the discussion to go on these serial neg sprees. I wouldn’t even care if it weren’t literally possible to crowd source me by the end of the day. It’s stupid.

Second, you’re not even talking about the same thing as me. It’s not about who’s going to win this series, it’s about my take that the, “Wow, Boston might actually win this series!” sentiment is not at all a knee jerk reaction. They’re acting like nobody thought Boston had a chance to win the series begin with, when again, the indisputable fact is that Boston has been better than Cleveland all year, and that plenty of us picked them to win the series from the beginning for that very reason.

If you look at post time you will see Earnest and I were writing our posts at the same time, so I didn't see it.

Boston HAS looked better this year. However, Boston looked better last year as well and got smoked in the playoffs 4-1. So many people are taking the wait and see approach.

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

If you look at post time you will see Earnest and I were writing our posts at the same time, so I didn't see it.

Boston HAS looked better this year. However, Boston looked better last year as well and got smoked in the playoffs 4-1. So many people are taking the wait and see approach.

You really,  really can't compare Boston from last year to this.  They only have four (Horford, Smart, Brown and Rozier) players from that team remaining.

Boston may still get the table ran on them, but it's not fair to say that this Celtics team will have the same result as last years team  when 4 of the 5 starters were either traded away or walked in free agency, and only 3 bench players remain.

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You really,  really can't compare Boston from last year to this.  They only have four (Horford, Smart, Brown and Rozier) players from that team remaining.

Boston may still get the table ran on them, but it's not fair to say that this Celtics team will have the same result as last years team  when 4 of the 5 starters were either traded away or walked in free agency, and only 3 bench players remain.

That's weird, because this board was doing the exact same thing when the Cavs played the Raptors, right? Many things changed with that series on both sides as well, but it was the same result. The point is you had a team play feverishly high, and another team who just came off a fairly easy sweep of the Eastern Conference number 1 seed. They played exactly like that. One came in yawning, as if it wasn't going to be a challenge. The other one came in with something to prove. We saw the result. Tonight we will see the response, and then we will have a better idea what's going on in this series from there