Cavs vs. Celtics

Sidney Sherman

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Being the Goat is based on the whole body of work. Are you seriously denying that LBJ has quit in playoff games/series before? 2009, 2010 ring any bells for starters?

There is nothing anyone is going to say to you that is going to make you change your mind, so why would I waste our time? Bottom line, he plays the game a certain way, and that way doesn't meet your approval. We will leave it at that. However, he IS rewriting record books every year. The last two standing might be rings and all time points(though he will likely finish second). At some point we need to give the man his due.

• Like 1

There is nothing anyone is going to say to you that is going to make you change your mind, so why would I waste our time? Bottom line, he plays the game a certain way, and that way doesn't meet your approval. We will leave it at that. However, he IS rewriting record books every year. The last two standing might be rings and all time points(though he will likely finish second). At some point we need to give the man his due.

He is easily the 2nd best to ever play, imo. His Finals run is amazing. But he will never pass Jordan. No matter how many finals he loses. Specifically because he will lay it down at a certain point.

Lebron's not easily the 2nd best...... Statistically Wilt shits on everybody.... including Jordan, he simply had to play All-Star teams for most of his career.  Judging the older players is very difficult for many reasons.  KAJ has something to say about it too..... I think saying he's in the top 3 of the modern era is very fair, but all of that probably needs it's own thread.

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Lebron's not easily the 2nd best...... Statistically Wilt shits on everybody.... including Jordan, he simply had to play All-Star teams for most of his career.  Judging the older players is very difficult for many reasons.  KAJ has something to say about it too..... I think saying he's in the top 3 of the modern era is very fair, but all of that probably needs it's own thread.

If rings are the only thing that matters, then Russell shits on everyone. 11 is kind of hard to top.

LBJ is the only person I can remember in the NBA who can put up 42/10/12 and people will say he quit, or that he "didn't do enough" for the Cavs to win.

Anyone else, literally ANYONE else in the league now or in the last 25 years puts up those numbers, and it's an entirely different narrative about the player's effort in the game. We are so used to LBJ being so good, and we know he can play even better, that people criticize a game like last night.

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

The Warriors have gotten Kevon Looney (playing big minutes in the WCF), Jordan Bell (was supposed to be in Looney's role before injury), and Patrick McCaw (started playoff games last season) in the last 3 drafts.  Not world-beaters, but nice, young, energetic pieces to have on a team that won't have cap room until approximately 2030.  There's moves to be made if you're savvy and patient, two words that have never described Cleveland (or LeBron as a GM).

Not to mention the many draft successes of the Spurs.

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

He gets his due. He's just not the greatest player of all time and he never will be.

LBJ is the only person I can remember in the NBA who can put up 42/10/12 and people will say he quit, or that he "didn't do enough" for the Cavs to win.
Anyone else, literally ANYONE else in the league now or in the last 25 years puts up those numbers, and it's an entirely different narrative about the player's effort in the game. We are so used to LBJ being so good, and we know he can play even better, that people criticize a game like last night.
Because sometimes he acts like a bitch.

Isn’t it weird how none of the Longhorn fans who go on and on anout how, “KD acts like a bitch” never say the same about LeBron, Russ, Chris Paul, or any of the other dozens of NBA stars who flop, whine, play dirty, get into beef on social media, etc? Like LeBron isn’t over here losing his mind all bug eyed at the ref every time his shot gets blocked? Come on. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

58 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Isn’t it weird how none of the Longhorn fans who go on and on anout how, “KD acts like a bitch” never say the same about LeBron, Russ, Chris Paul, or any of the other dozens of NBA stars who flop, whine, play dirty, get into beef on social media, etc? Like LeBron isn’t over here losing his mind all bug eyed at the ref every time his shot gets blocked? Come on. 

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Oh there are plenty of them in here that do

They also mis-remember(thank you Roger) Jordan or never watched him play. They remember him as a better shooter than he was. A better defender than he was. A better passer than he was. Jordan is the Paul Bunyan of basketball. The further removed we are from him, the better people feel like he was. There is literally nothing a player can do that will top our memory of Jordan. Nothing. It will simply have to die with old age.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

They also mis-remember(thank you Roger) Jordan or never watched him play. They remember him as a better shooter than he was. A better defender than he was. A better passer than he was. Jordan is the Paul Bunyan of basketball. The further removed we are from him, the better people feel like he was. There is literally nothing a player can do that will top our memory of Jordan. Nothing. It will simply have to die with old age.

Correct.    Also, MJ was great when many of us were in that 12-22 age range.   Nothing tops the memories of our heroes from that time.     Same with 70s kids and Muhammad Ali.   I suspect kids now will grow up and swear that no one could ever be better than Lebron when they get to their 40s

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, d2o said:

Correct.    Also, MJ was great when many of us were in that 12-22 age range.   Nothing tops the memories of our heroes from that time.     Same with 70s kids and Muhammad Ali.   I suspect kids now will grow up and swear that no one could ever be better than Lebron when they get to their 40s

Agreed. However, with youtube there is no excuse not to go back and watch some complete Bulls games. Our memories are clouded with the greatest plays over the man's career. It all looks very different when you actually go back and watch full games.

Is Korver really that bad of a defender that they shouldn't try starting him with this lineup? He's gotta be a bigger net positive than JR.

I guess you potentially lose JR for good if you don't start him.

Edited by aggie08

What is this fucking coverage? Rozier fouls Lebron and they don't even tell me how many fouls that is on Rozier. I get a sililoquey from Jeff Van Gundy about some pointless bullshit but no actual info about the game. I see ESPN is as bad as ever.

On 5/17/2018 at 5:15 AM, Thatguy said:

Jordan was an exceptional on ball defender. No need to suggest otherwise.

Just now, immortal13 said:

What happened? I stopped watching

Basically said that the reason JR Smith didn't get a flagrant two in Game 2 was that Al Horford didn't land badly or get hurt. In other words, they were assessing the result, rather than the act of the foul.

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Basically said that the reason JR Smith didn't get a flagrant two in Game 2 was that Al Horford didn't land badly or get hurt. In other words, they were assessing the result, rather than the act of the foul.

Oh ok, I stopped watching before he g9t interviewed. I totally agree with you. Waiting to see if the player was injured to assess the foul is ridiculous. Horford could've broken something on that play...easily