Songs that hit you or someone you love in the feels

closetohumping

My sister, Kristi, committed suicide by taking a pharmacy’s worth of a drug cocktail. I came in from out of state because her husband (my BIL) had committed suicide with a handgun the night before. 

She had been sleeping in the family room near me for several hours and woke up around 3 AM. I was sleeping on the sofa and woke up when she woke up. I gave her a glass of water. She took a drink and died in front of me. I called 911 and gave her CPR until the ambulance arrived. They revived her, and we went to the hospital. A few hours later her brain began to swell and she was pronounced dead.

This song triggers that memory.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 3:53 PM, closetohumping said:

That song is a got damn bummer for sure. Hate when it's on, but I can't turn it off either.  And it's like 40 years old or something?  Still applies to any generation.

I said it before, but The Walk by Sawyer Brown really hits as I see what's  in the not too far future.

Here it is actually:

Fucking kills me.

• Hook 'Em 1

My father is terminal with stage 4 cancer in his lungs, lymph nodes, liver and bile duct and these two songs hit me every time they come up on my playlist. Probably the reason I added them in the first place. Music has always been a big part of my life and these two encapsulate the feelings I have dealing with the impending death of my hero. The first one just a reflection of life as a son, a brother and a father and the second one how I imagine I will react when his battle concludes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2021 at 3:28 PM, closetohumping said:

And this:

I make it about 30 seconds into that one 

When I was 5 my dad would take me to school every day. It was about a 30minute drive in his little Nissan truck and we would listen to Dan Fogelberg daily it seemed like.  I was probably the only kindergartener who knew who he was.

Anyway I was in the car stuck in traffic on 360 like 15 years ago and this song comes on.  In no time I'm an emotional wreck. 

My dad is still around and as Dan sings 

"my life has been a poor attempt to imitate the man. I'm just the living legacy to the leader of the band."

• Like 1

For me, it's this, and I'm not sure there's a second place.

He didn't write this, but it, combined with the video is heart wrenching, and also brutal. 

The photos of him with June Cash when they were young, and her looking at him in anguish in the video, which was filmed a few months before she died, the "House of Cash" closed to the public, his framed gold record for "Johnny Cash at San Quentin" with the cracked glass, and at the end when he closes the piano and places his hands on the cover make this an intensely personal piece of work that still speaks to everyone.

Sometimes it seems like everything in entertainment is fake, especially the emotions. This isn't. It's real, and it's a masterpiece.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

My dad had dementia before Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis finally killed him but he never forgot his loved ones. Mom is in an assisted living memory care place now so I guess I know what is in store for me. I just don’t want to forget the people in my life that have meant everything to me. What a terrible and lonely existence. I saw Hayes Carll at Gruene recently but he didn’t play this. Probably a good thing or I would’ve lost it.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 4:02 AM, Victor Lazlo said:

My wife died of a rare, virulent cancer in January of 2021. It happened so fast, and I’m still a wreck.

This Moody Blues song says what I feel every day - “Cause you’re not here.”

I don’t know why I’m even telling this to a bunch of strangers, but, there it is.

“Forever Autumn”

Bumping this because I’ve been over served and yesterday was the second anniversary of my sweet wife’s death. God, I miss her.

• Like 4

On 1/19/2023 at 11:00 AM, Hpara759 said:

my FIL favorite song (played at his funeral).

Anytime I catch the wife teary-eyed....have you been listening to Louie again??

Right on

On 12/19/2022 at 10:15 AM, SuckitKevin said:

My dad had dementia before Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis finally killed him but he never forgot his loved ones. Mom is in an assisted living memory care place now so I guess I know what is in store for me. I just don’t want to forget the people in my life that have meant everything to me. What a terrible and lonely existence. I saw Hayes Carll at Gruene recently but he didn’t play this. Probably a good thing or I would’ve lost it.

Love Hayes

• 2 weeks later...