Jump to content

Songs that hit you or someone you love in the feels


closetohumping
 Share

Recommended Posts

My uncle was a traveling salesman.  Gone a lot.  Wasn’t a very good man to my aunt.  Uncle was likely a philanderer.  Anyways I once saw my aunt crying while listening to blue eyes crying in the rain” by willie

 

i have a daughter now.  Never liked that song “butterfly kisses” but I played it one night while she was around and admittedly I got choked up

 

 

How about you fools?   Ever come across a song that can almost make you cry?

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I went through separation/divorce in 2016-17. It just happened to be around the time The Avett Brothers "True Sadness" was released. Seth Avett wrote several songs on the album that were about his separation/divorce adjacent that hit me in the feels.... not least of which was "The Divorce Separation Blues", lol.

But the one that shook me to my core was "No Hard Feelings." I don't think it's about divorce, per se, but about accepting that life is short and resentment/regrets need to be let go. I used to just sit alone in my house and listen to this record and let this song punch me in the face.

It was so interesting to see the actual recording of this song in the "May it Last" documentary and how much emotion the brothers poured into it... probably why I connected with it so much.

Anywho - 4ish years later I'm happily re-married and have a 6-month old so things are great. :)  But I'll never forget how much this song punched me directly in gut back then.

 

  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last year and a half in school shared a condo with a couple buddies and we'd usually start drinking at our place before whatever we were going do to that night. one roommate would always be in charge of the CD changer because it was his, and it was kinda baller at the time. He loved this song and always played it almost loud enough to get us evicted.  Our other roommate's name was very similar to the title and we'd sing his name  instead throughout the song. I liked the song anyway,  kinda haunting,  but it really hits different now since they guy whose name we'd sing died of cancer about 3 years later 

 

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Last year and a half in school shared a condo with a couple buddies and we'd usually start drinking at our place before whatever we were going do to that night. one roommate would always be in charge of the CD changer because it was his, and it was kinda baller at the time. He loved this song and always played it almost loud enough to get us evicted.  Our other roommate's name was very similar to the title and we'd sing his name  instead throughout the song. I liked the song anyway,  kinda haunting,  but it really hits different now since they guy whose name we'd sing died of cancer about 3 years later 

 

Whole fucking album takes me back to nastiest breakup of my life.  Wanted death for her for way too long.  LOLz.

When I hear the songs like Joey or Caroline, it's just a memory of those days of hate.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This one has always done it to me.  No particular reason other than I love my wife and kids so fucking much and the thought of leaving them alone just kills me.

 

This one never really stirred much emotion (other than thinking it's a beautiful sing), until I attended a funeral of one of my wife's friends.  Actually, the father of one of her friends who was killed in a car accident years earlier, and she became really good friends with the father after that.  I had met him a few times, but I had no reason to really get emotional at the funeral.  He had lymphoma and held on for 5 years, which means he had plenty of time to think about his own mortality--and to plan his funeral to a T.  No one knew what the plan was except the people involved (his wife had no idea what was planned), and for part of it he had prepared a slide show of his favorite moments in life with "In My Life" as the backing music.  Holy shit--not a dry eye in the house, and 15 years later whenever I hear this song, it sends me back to that day.  I hug my wife extra hard whenever I hear it.

 

 

Last one for me is this one.  I can't imagine leaving my family, and it makes me hurt to think about a dad having this conversation with his son.

 

 

  • Hook 'Em 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As the father of 2 daughters:   

It’s alright to be gentle, And it’s alright to be kind, It’s alright to be brave and scared

Cause it’s alright to be gentle
And it’s alright to be kind
And it’s alright to be angry
It’s alright to change your mind
And it’s alright to be fierce
And it’s alright to fight
And it’s alright to be happy
It’s alright to cry when you need to cry

 

 

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

'Cept George didn't writte that one.  😉  Curly Putnam and Bobby Braddock did.   George actually kept changing the tune to "Help Me Make It Through The Night".  They finally convinced him to sing it the way Braddock told him.  After he finished the recording he said, George said, "No one is going to buy that morbid sumbitch"

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2021 at 3:13 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

So I went through separation/divorce in 2016-17. It just happened to be around the time The Avett Brothers "True Sadness" was released. Seth Avett wrote several songs on the album that were about his separation/divorce adjacent that hit me in the feels.... not least of which was "The Divorce Separation Blues", lol.

But the one that shook me to my core was "No Hard Feelings." I don't think it's about divorce, per se, but about accepting that life is short and resentment/regrets need to be let go. I used to just sit alone in my house and listen to this record and let this song punch me in the face.

It was so interesting to see the actual recording of this song in the "May it Last" documentary and how much emotion the brothers poured into it... probably why I connected with it so much.

Anywho - 4ish years later I'm happily re-married and have a 6-month old so things are great. :)  But I'll never forget how much this song punched me directly in gut back then.

 

Same exact thing for me.  Time period and all.  

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Oddly enough, on the flip side ot that, I met someone not too long ago (actually someone I went to High School with), and we've kinda made this our song.

 

That's awesome man.

So I met my new wife in late 2017 and, in sort of an ironic twist of my previous post, The Avett Brothers kind of became "our" band. We saw them in Tulsa in early 2018 and then again in early 2019 and also at Red Rocks later that same year.  We were going to go see them again at their annual Red Rocks show in 2020 if the stupid pandemic hadn't hit. 

Now we have a 6-month old so not sure when we'll see them next, but we'll definitely take the boy up to Red Rocks when he's old enough. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, slorch said:

Don't Close Your Eyes is sadder 'n fuck.  LOLz.   I've never been divorced, but I feel like I am after listening to his music.  Same goes for Gary Allan.

Gary Allan's is pretty good.  Not good enough to make me cry though.

 

Not a tear jerker, but this reminded me of an ex of mine waaayyyy back in the day:

 

  RIP Darryle

Edited by closetohumping
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Being completely vulnerable here… Lol.

The Promise, by When in Rome.

 

it is on the credits of Napoleon dynamite on that final scene when they are playing tetherball. Instantly makes me think of my grown ass boys, now 28 and 23. That was one of our dude movies when they were growing up. When it comes on, it instantly takes me to road trips and good times with my sons.

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Being completely vulnerable here… Lol.

The Promise, by When in Rome.

 

it is on the credits of Napoleon dynamite on that final scene when they are playing tetherball. Instantly makes me think of my grown ass boys, now 28 and 23. That was one of our dude movies when they were growing up. When it comes on, it instantly takes me to road trips and good times with my sons.

Sturgill Simpson has a pretty decent cover:  

  

38 minutes ago, Scraps said:

 

Wow this guy is good.

 

 

Kenny Chesney, yep total tool, but "I go back" and "that's why I'm here" are pretty poignant.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This one has become a bit more emotional to me over the years.

I have distinct memories of being told my grandfather died when I was 12.  He was battling cancer.  I worshiped the man.  Lord I cried the day he died.

Since I have 3 boys, I can't help but think of the day my own father will pass, and how devastating that will be not just to me, but especially my sons.  He truly walks on water in their eyes.  Best granddad anyone could ask for.  He's 75 years, and although he takes care of himself, he's at the age where anything can happen on any day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCVw8Qjeg84

Shit, looks like it won't embed automatically.  But it's "He Walked on Water" by Randy Travis.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

And this:

 

 

This one gets me so much that I don't even want to hear it.  Dad's always been stoic and a hero to me and has fought for so many things in his life, with his #1 goal in establishing a good life for his kids and wife.  I don't think I can put my parents in a nursing home.  Hopefully that is a decision that's far away.

 

 

Ok, so judgement free zone right?   Old girlfriend of mine, actually the same one from that Darryle Singletary song made me watch Hope Floats with Sandra Bullock and Chompers, aka Harry Connick JR. I'm going to guess 3/4s of you ain't seen it and the 1/4 of you that shared my misfortune have it erased from your memory.  So, the premise is Sandra Bullocks character, former home coming queen gets invited to a reality show. She thought it was for a makeover but it was actually her BFF revealing she's been having an affair with her husband.  Kid was in the audience as well.  She moves back to small town Texas and her old flame (Chompers) is after her.  Things just rarely go well for her so the first half of the movie is just her getting shitted on and Chompers is chasing relentlessly.  He finally gets her on the dance floor during the town's 4th of July celebration and they play "to make you feel my love" by Garth.  Didn't cry, but it resonated as she'd been through so much in the movie and it was finally a happy moment for her.

 

 

Now back to  playing rugby and beer pong this weekend!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Waiting For My Real Life To Begin by Colin Hay always gets me thinking about shit 

 

I won’t even attempt to listen to Real Life by Jeff Carson since I became a father.  

Wow, I just listened to that Colin Hay song.  Wow, wow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...