Replacement Windows

My house in Houston was built in 1990 and has cheap ass single pane builder grade aluminum windows that look like shit and don't function very well.  I'm looking into doing window replacement, and would at least like to get a couple of quotes.  Anybody gone through this that can give me some tips?  There is a ton of companies out there and I'd like to find one that won't do a shitty job and bend me over.  I think i'd like to go with some composite material, but I don't know shit about windows.

I thought about it a while back for my 1993 Montrose townhouse. I can't recall the quote I got, but I recall it was high enough that my existing windows all of a sudden looked  just fine. Now I have a 1994 house in Sugar Land with a shit ton more of similar style windows.

Bernard

There are a couple ways to look at replacement windows. You can replace the entire window frame and all, or do a sash only replacement.  The frames stay in place and only the sashes are replaced.  The latter method will save you dollars.

Make sure you actually look at the brands you're considering to see the windows and their features in the flesh, so you'll have a better undertsanding of the money you're spending.

It's not an inexpensive renovation, but factor in the payback on energy savings as well when you're considering moving forward.

If you want simple, double paned, vinyl frame low-e, call Randy Els (no relation to Ernie) at Window World.  

Or, and if you have a friend that works for BMC or a similar distributor that sells windows, that friend could sell you the windows direct.  You’d pay up front due to no account but you could get a decent deal.  If you have such a friends, ask him to hook you up with an installer crew; not the contractor.  

Install should be around $100-125 per window inclusive of demo, install, caulk in and out, clean up and debris removal.   Your mileage may vary. 

Also, spend the money on the mullions that go on the outside glass and inside glass.  The mullions that go between the glass are cheesy. 

My FIL works at BMC.  I actually did what you said but their Dallas contractor never called me back, so I ended up finding my own guy who came out, measured for the windows, and then would installed them.  BMC's window division is in Houston (where in-laws live), so I went down to pick them up and bring them back.  Guy had a 2 man crew come out and install the windows.  Problem was (unbeknowst to me at the time) they were 2ndary contractors, they installed a few windows, told me one would fit b/c it was too big, and wedged a few into place that I later found out bowed the frame so the window isn't completely sealed.  I tried to get the original guy to reimburse me for the windows that never fit, never could. /CSB

I guess the lesson is make sure you find a guy who you can trust for measurement and install?  Or pay a bit more to get the job done right.  Anyways, if you want my BMC hookup, PM me.

I did a lot of reading on window forums when I did it. Advanced windows products or Window world.

Gulf coast windows are expensive crap because they have pay for all that advertising. When we did this few year back, we lived by Rice, and we went with Advanced due to their sound dampening features. Made a huge difference in what we heard from Greenbriar and the ac conderser under dare the master windows. https://www.awpwindows.com/

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

Related window question. I got a few double paned windows that have lost their seal and fog up in the summer.  Is there a remedy besides replacing the window?
This should absolutely be covered in the warranty. Each window has a unique number on it. Take a picture, call them up and it should be replaced free of charge.

3 hours ago, Okie State said:

A friend was quoted damn near $100K for all new Andersen windows. He just laughed.

Edit: It was $121K for 43 windows. $89K if he signed the contract on the spot.

LOL.  Was he quoted at the Andersen kiosk in HEB?

Yeah some Andersen guy came by and did the whole demo and crazy high quote with the "if you sign now it's *points at number*" deal.  He was crestfallen when I explained the second time "thanks for your time, we'll do some more research and make a decision."

Good to know it's expensive.

On 5/12/2018 at 10:53 AM, Anastasis said:

Related window question. I got a few double paned windows that have lost their seal and fog up in the summer.  Is there a remedy besides replacing the window?

replace the sash  (perimeter frame holding the pane of glass) or have a new insulated glass unit installed in the existing sash frame.

18 hours ago, deadshank said:

LOL.  Was he quoted at the Andersen kiosk in HEB?

$120K  for 43 windows ??!  Holy fuck !!  $1,200-$1,500 a hole for a turnkey job (remove existing condo and replace with new unit and repair trim around window, paint inside if it's wood)should be possible (with a good builder grade window). 

Replaced windows on a rental house using the ReliaBuilt brand from Lowes. (double pane, single hung, etc, etc) Had my handyman do it so the sash and any carpentry work would be done right.  Pretty happy with the results.  I bought them off the shelf every couple days as my guy worked his way through demo and install of 13 of the bad boys.  Or you can have Lowes deliver which I did for the last batch of 7.  (very much worth it)

If you live in Texas also know that the retail windows have to conform to minimum standards that are pretty decent.  

• 2 months later...

Energy WIndows through a marketing company is giving us one of those "90 day sign in yard huge discount" offers.
We need new windows for sure.
Looked them up on the Yelpernets, etc. and they get pretty good reviews, among the best co's. in Austin.

1) Bueller anyone? had experience w/Energy Windows? (marketing company is called Flipside, I guess they're teaming up for more business)?
2) Anyone done one of those "sign in yard" things?  Reaction?

21 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Energy WIndows through a marketing company is giving us one of those "90 day sign in yard huge discount" offers.
Looked them up on the Yelpernets, etc. and they get pretty good reviews, among the best co's. in Austin.

1) Bueller anyone? had experience w/Energy Windows? (marketing company is called Flipside, I guess they're teaming up for more business)?

Windows you buy off the TV suck usually.  You get what you pay for, and windows are a huge factor in a home in my opinion.  A good window (alum. clad exterior or lifetime wood exterior with wood interiors, tilt sashes, simulated divided lites, Low E,  decent looking hardware. is going to run you $500 -$1000 size dependent.  Led Wenn, Weathershield, Anderson, Pella, Marvin, Kolbe, M&W custom line.  All of these are national brands with a long track record of good quality, some better than others.

These weren't TV offered.  This is clearly an attempt to expand business in a newer (i.e. hot properties) part of Austin.  I've seen enough of these to know they're legit.  And the company is very highly rated here.  This was at-door marketing.

The only catch for me is the "discount" or "oh, well we can't put those windows in, but these (more expensive) ones we can!"  Stuff like that.  We'll see but so far I'm interested (no red flags - yet).

This type of marketing is often legit (sign in front); I got no problem with that.  More just if there's a catch - which there might be.

Otherwise we'll put in new windows in about 2-3 years when I stop paying for my son's college expenses.

Edited by phdhorn

36 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

These weren't TV offered.  This is clearly an attempt to expand business in a newer (i.e. hot properties) part of Austin.  I've seen enough of these to know they're legit.  And the company is very highly rated here.  This was at-door marketing.

The only catch for me is the "discount" or "oh, well we can't put those windows in, but these (more expensive) ones we can!"  Stuff like that.  We'll see but so far I'm interested (no red flags - yet).

This type of marketing is often legit (sign in front); I got no problem with that.  More just if there's a catch - which there might be.

Otherwise we'll put in new windows in about 2-3 years when I stop paying for my son's college expenses.

Never heard of Energy windows, but that doesn't mean a lot considering  windows can be very regional.

We had Windows World replace our original single pane cheapy windows with heavy, windstorm rated double pane windows a few years ago.  IIRC, it was roughly $11K for 30+ windows (some were pretty big - door sized windows).  It was well worth the investment.  The noise reduction.  The proper sealing preventing air flow.  The reduced heat from the sun.  Oh yeah.

4 hours ago, phdhorn said:

The sign in the yard:  so if you're HOA does not allow contractor signs in yards you pay more.  Oh, OK!!  Sign me up.  Take my money!!

We had Marvin windows and doors (Infinity line I believe) installed on our new construction home, and we love them.  They make a great product, double hung, impact and hurricane rated.  They offer replacements too.  They are in line with Pella and Anderson IMO but not as expensive.

13 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

We had Marvin windows and doors (Infinity line I believe) installed on our new construction home, and we love them.  They make a great product, double hung, impact and hurricane rated.  They offer replacements too.  They are in line with Pella and Anderson IMO but not as expensive.

Yeah you have to clarify that in line comment with regards to cost. Marvin is typically the highest cost window I see compared to most national off the shelf brands.

They have a few different lines. Marvin is a better product than either of those other two companies.  Well run company the really does care about quality.

3 hours ago, bernorange said:

We had Windows World replace our original single pane cheapy windows with heavy, windstorm rated double pane windows a few years ago.  IIRC, it was roughly $11K for 30+ windows (some were pretty big - door sized windows).  It was well worth the investment.  The noise reduction.  The proper sealing preventing air flow.  The reduced heat from the sun.  Oh yeah.

Re-doing a house in west Houston for a well-to-do woman that owns the house but does not live there.  She had Window World bid her vinyl replacement windows.  The pricing was OK.  Not bad / not great.  We asked her if our silk stocking guys (they're very good, very clean, leave no trace yet very expensive) could price it and she said to let it be and just use WW.   OK, then.

WW showed up on time, talked a good game and then proceeded to uncage the gorillas and do $3,600 dollars worth of drywall and interior paint damage and a yet to be determined amount of Hardie siding, masonry and paint damage on the exterior.  To boot, they broke two of their own windows that have yet to be replaced 30+ days later.  Yes, you guessed it, those replacement replacement windows are on back order.  

I'm also on my 3rd warranty / punch out rep and the sales guy is nowhere to be seen ("call the 800 number!").

WW called me up and asked why they hadn't received the back half of their money.  

Well, let's see....

18 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Marvin Intgerity windows and they are very good windows. Much better than Pella and Andersen.  I'd buy pretty much anything from a company with a history and ethic like Marvin.  Check out the CBS Sunday Morning piece on Marvin

https://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs-sunday-morning/video/VZIG9V1cu9lFrGQ9K4tSpGrubglzZik1/the-view-from-marvin-s-windows/

Edited by deadshank

21 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Marvin Intgerity windows and they are very good windows. Much better than Pella and Andersen.  I'd buy pretty much anything from a company with a history and ethic like Marvin.  Check out the CBS Sunday Morning piece on Marvin

https://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs-sunday-morning/video/VZIG9V1cu9lFrGQ9K4tSpGrubglzZik1/the-view-from-marvin-s-windows/

I toured the manufacturing pant 2 years ago. The whole town is basically employed by the family.  And one of the sons/brothers has a car collection like no other I've ever seen, other than one other private collection I toured years ago.

They are insanely focussed on quality, and are always looking to improve the process.

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Thank you for posting!  I agree 100%.  We priced all the Windows in this category, and we couldnt be happier.  We paid a little more for a 16' slider and its awesome.  Wish i knew how to upload photos, I'd post. There website is great too for  and finding the design you like and style preferred.

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Thank you for posting!  I agree 100%.  We priced all the Windows in this category, and we couldnt be happier.  We paid a little more for a 16' slider and its awesome.  Wish i knew how to upload photos, I'd post. There website is great too for  and finding the design you like and style preferred.

16' door slider ?   Those puppies are steep in cost, but damn they make a statement.

On 8/10/2018 at 5:48 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

We paid a little more for a 16' slide

Most guys do.

Got a meeting with the windows company I mentioned in post #21 above.  So far I'm liking them.  We'll see how it goes when I talk turkey.  They have very nice windows, highly rated, and basically they want to use our place on their site (and drive-up lookie-see) in return for a significant discount.  I gave the marketing dude my riot act and said if they can't adhere to these things, don't come, it won't be worth their time.  So I got 'em (as far as I can tell) in my pool, we'll see how it goes.

I know pretty much want I would want to pay for windows (esp. per window) in my place (based in part on reading these threads, both here and from the shitter site when it was going), and I said as much to them.  My guess is that they're not pushy and simply want a marketing opportunity in this neighborhood, so let's get it on and I'll let you know how it goes in a few days.

• Like 1

Part of our remodel included windows. We received quotes from $9K to $36K from different vendors. I believe Anderson was $36K so our debate was go cheap with WW at $9K or upgrade to non-vinyl which would run around $18K from a local Austin company. 

Yes, vinyl is the cheapest route and may not last 30+ years but we figured that it would be cheaper to replace in 15 to 20 years than double our cost so went with WW. WW is franchised so each company is independently run but were very happy with our install and price.

Price with all other players are negotiable.  

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...
On 9/6/2021 at 5:42 PM, Okie State said:

I realize a lot has changed since this thread was started, but will $1K-$1.5K per still get you a high quality window from Marvin?

Obviously it varies by application, but just looking for a ballpark idea. Does that get you fiberglass exterior and wood interior?

I got a quote today and this is in line with what I got. I just don't know how to justify it for 30+ windows if it's not a complete remodel or new construction. I want to do business with the company, but I have to figure out how to make the economics work. 

I got a quote today and this is in line with what I got. I just don't know how to justify it for 30+ windows if it's not a complete remodel or new construction. I want to do business with the company, but I have to figure out how to make the economics work. 
Thankfully I ended up with a house that already had nice Andersen windows. I think I would have gone with something a little different, but I can't complain. $30K-$50K+ is a significant outlay of cash for windows.

• 1 year later...
Just got our quote today for Renewal Anderson. $177K for 37 windows, or $138K if we sign today.  Hard to justify 3700 / window.  And most of the windows we quoted were just mere picture windows, nothing fancy.
I just can't believe people are paying $150K-$200K for windows. Maybe they are. Seems ridiculous unless your house is worth millions.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PvilleStang said:

Just got our quote today for Renewal Anderson. $177K for 37 windows, or $138K if we sign today.  Hard to justify 3700 / window.  And most of the windows we quoted were just mere picture windows, nothing fancy.

Renewal by Andersen ?  Are you out of your mind?   Hell no.  

Stay away from the media marketing companies like RbA, Window Workd, etc    Jeebus. 

Where are you?

Edited by deadshank

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

Renewal by Andersen ?  Are you out of your mind?   Hell no.  

Where are you?

Bee Cave area.  Just started looking, wife went to the Anderson name due to longevity in the market.  The sales team sounds like they all train at the same sleazy get-this-deal-today-only school.

I think the number they threw out completely turned her off to windows now, which I don't think is too bad, other than these windows bleed energy like crazy.  Office and bedrooms are hot boxes in the summer, and ice boxes in the winter.

37 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Bee Cave area.  Just started looking, wife went to the Anderson name due to longevity in the market.  The sales team sounds like they all train at the same sleazy get-this-deal-today-only school.

I think the number they threw out completely turned her off to windows now, which I don't think is too bad, other than these windows bleed energy like crazy.  Office and bedrooms are hot boxes in the summer, and ice boxes in the winter.

Do you know anyone (preferably a friend) in the home building / remodeling business?  

For a review, use a recent house we built had 36 Marvin Liberty windows; wood / clad exterior; low-e; all sorts of sizes. $42,986.37 TTL included. 

Your guy said $138K turnkey job "if you sign today." 

$138K less $43K = $95K.

Say their installer weighs in at $1000 per window for demo and install ($1000 per window is a big number) that takes another $37K off; throw in $500 for GLI, $1,500 for WC and that leaves $56K for RbA.

What do you think?

• Like 1