Best HS Player You Played Against?

MaybeACoordinator

I don't think anybody I played against made the NFL, but I know I did play against one guy who could have...Waller QB Darrell Hawkins. Dude was like a left-handed Vince Young. Defending the option against him was a nightmare -- he had that same deceptive long-legged speed VY had, and his hands were so big, you couldn't tell if he had the ball or not. And he wasn't called on to throw all that often, but when he did, he had a cannon.

Somewhere along the way he was persuaded to quit football and take up hoops full time, and after averaging 27 points and 15 boards a game his senior year, it looked liked a good choice.  He wound up starting for some of Nolan Richardson's best teams at Arkansas, but he never played a game in the NBA -- had to settle for one of those CBA / overseas careers. 

I've always wondered what would have happened to him had be played in a modern spread offense in an era when there was less prejudice against black QBs. This was in the 1980s, and I shit you not, when we played Waller as a freshman, they burned crosses to greet us. (I went to Strake Jesuit, and we were the Crusaders, so they sort of had an excuse, and it's not like half their school wasn't black, but still...Really?)

Anyway, Hawkins' career has always made me wonder about the consequences of choosing one sport over another at such a young age, or how some players get pigeonholed into the wrong position in Pop Warner, and so on. 

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Given what we now know about CTE, maybe Hawkins did make the right choice? At any rate the NFL is plenty selective as well, and there are fewer options if you don' make it to the top than in NBA (was NFL Europe still a thing?)

Yeah, but that's hindsight...And I can't think of many QBs with CTE, and Hawkins was too tall to hit pretty much anybody head to head. He was a legit 6'5". 

Good point about the other options. He has a decent job in the AD at UH now, so it's not like he's under a freeway wondering what could have been.

8 minutes ago, futureman said:

best high school player maybe graham harrell.  

I’m sure there are several here who played against the goat.  

Oh man, as a former blitzing outside linebacker, there are few people on the planet I would have loved more to knock the ever living piss out of than Graham Harrell. 

Tracy Saul.  DB. Idalou  All around athlete who kicked ass at everything.  Went on to prolific career at Tech as DB and punt returner.

Most physically imposing was Jason Burleson. QB/ LB. Sherman.  Sumbeech was huge for high school.  Went on to play LB at UT.

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

Most physically imposing was Jason Burleson. QB/ LB. Sherman.  Sumbeech was huge for high school.  Went on to play LB at UT.

I remember reading reading some posts about him on the old board.  he was before my time so I hadn’t heard of him but he sounds like paul bunyan or something the way some people were talking about him.  

Jerry Ball as a RB. As a DL he was good and went to SMU (when SMU was paying) and then the Detroit Lions where he became one of the best nose guards in modern times. But, that dude as a RB in high school was hard to bring down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Shaq. What do I win?

Old age.  

My high school ran a wing-t offense so needless to say I didn’t play against anyone who even played college ball.  

Edited by SDG

2 hours ago, futureman said:

I remember reading reading some posts about him on the old board.  he was before my time so I hadn’t heard of him but he sounds like paul bunyan or something the way some people were talking about him.  

During his recruitment we thought we were getting a 6'7" John Elway. He showed up with arm problems (I think), was closer to 6'4" and was pretty much immediately moved to TE. 

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

During his recruitment we thought we were getting a 6'7" John Elway. He showed up with arm problems (I think), was closer to 6'4" and was pretty much immediately moved to TE. 

yes, i think shoulder issues eventually ultimately ended his career.  I was thinking he was 6'6" or so.

No way was he 6'4"...

James Battle at Denton Ryan in the '00 state championship game absolutely torched us through the air and the ground. It was a really close game down to the wire and it still stings to this day. 

Chase Wasson at SLC in their prime absolutely lit us up in the '02 state championship 

Played against Rodrick Muckelroy (Hallsville) and Stephen Hodges (Tatum). Muck was a bad dude.

My dad played against the Tyler Rose...when I asked him about what it was like when I was a kid I'll never forget how he just laughed and didnt really say anything else

Edited by BayouBill
  • Like 2

Fozzy Whittaker. The dude was hard to tackle, thats if you can catch em, and if he doesnt juke ya. We had to gang tackle him most of the time. Plus Pearlands line was pretty good. He scored like 4 TDs on us in a game. 

Sad how his career has been so wrecked by injuries. Just saw hes injured again placed on IR, torn ACL.

• Haha 1

Keyuo Craver. RB from Harleton. I think he was a sophomore. He was a hell of a ball carrier. Went to NU as a db, got drafted by the Saints. Played against a few other guys that went to d2 ball and juco. Can’t remember any of them now though.

JD Martin from James Bowie was pretty good for the time and place. 2a ball in NE Texas in the 90s.

Rod Bernstein from Bryan High School.

He was a running back in high school before he went to aggy and then the Chargers as a TE and the best player in 14 5a by A TON back then.

I weighed a buck sixty-five in high school and actually lit him up from the secondary once.   My shining moment in football.

I retired shortly thereafter. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bevo said:

Jerry Ball as a RB. As a DL he was good and went to SMU (when SMU was paying) and then the Detroit Lions where he became one of the best nose guards in modern times. But, that dude as a RB in high school was hard to bring down.

Oh Jesus that sounds like a fucking nightmare. 

3 hours ago, futureman said:

yeah that season was the beginning of their run of dominance.  the year before they were good but not great. 

What's crazy is we had some of the best DB's in the state that year and we got obliterated from the air raid they were running which was fairly new at the time (vs what we had seen in the SA area), especially in high school. Had I not been on the receiving end of this ass beating I would have been impressed. 

Koy Detmer, QB of the Mission Eagles, who later went on to be a career back-up for the Philadelphia Eagles.  The game we played in was the ESPN high school game of the week featuring the number one high school offense in the state (Mission) vs. the number two defense in the state, Brownsville Pace Vikings.  They beat us something of the tune to 28-14.  Koy had this little slot receiver that he was really in tune with.

Casey Hampton would be my runner-up. 

I told a story about Casey Hampton taking our center and basically launching him at the QB as he was dropping back for a sack/fumble on 24/7 once. Brian Perroni was helping out the UT 24/7 board at that time. A couple of years later, that fucking douche appropriated that story and instead said it happened against Clear Lake. As if the fucking play was repeatable, when I called him on it, he claimed he also saw the maneuver against a separate team, CL. Um, no aggie, that play happened once. But yeah, Hampton shot putted our center at the QB. We played that film over and over, laughing, as our center got increasingly angrier while we did so. 

The winner for me is Rodney Mims at Clear Lake. He was electric and the best HS player I ever saw until I got to watch VY at Madison. Mims made 3 moves within 3 yards of where he caught a punt and I basically tackled air as he blew by me and went 80. That was fun in the film room. The dude scored like 40 touchdowns his junior year in big 5A against the likes of G Ball. He was unreal. His family got a settlement from the death of his father in the Phillips ship channel explosion and so he quit football before his senior year to blow money and get high. I ran into him once in my 20’s and he was one step short of living under a bridge. Moron. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Casey Hampton would be my runner-up. 

I told a story about Casey Hampton taking our center and basically launching him at the QB as he was dropping back for a sack/fumble on 24/7 once. Brian Perroni was helping out the UT 24/7 board at that time. A couple of years later, that fucking douche appropriated that story and instead said it happened against Clear Lake. As if the fucking play was repeatable, when I called him on it, he claimed he also saw the maneuver against a separate team, CL. Um, no aggie, that play happened once. But yeah, Hampton shot putted our center at the QB. We played that film over and over, laughing, as our center got increasingly angrier while we did so. 

The winner for me is Rodney Mims at Clear Lake. He was electric and the best HS player I ever saw until I got to watch VY at Madison. Mims made 3 moves within 3 yards of where he caught a punt and I basically tackled air as he blew by me and went 80. That was fun in the film room. The dude scored like 40 touchdowns his junior year in big 5A against the likes of G Ball. He was unreal. His family got a settlement from the death of his father in the Phillips ship channel explosion and so he quit football before his senior year to blow money and get high. I ran into him once in my 20’s and he was one step short of living under a bridge. Moron. 

G Ball - Oh how the mighty have fallen. Damn hurricane Ike took all the talent. They are 3A now I believe. 

Now there is two more Clear schools, both for things that dont exist around here. Falls and springs. 

As far as teammates go, I’d say Eugene Seale. He was a linebacker and also threw the shot and discus and ran the 100 yard dash in track. He usually placed in all three.

Houston offered him a football scholarship, but withdrew the offer at the last minute. He played for Lamar and IIRC he held some kind of record for tackles in consecutive games against UH, 20+ each game.

He played for the Oilers during the players strike in the 80s and they kept him on for several seasons afterwards. I think he was a special teams Pro Bowler

9 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

As far as teammates go, I’d say Eugene Seale. He was a linebacker and also threw the shot and discus and ran the 100 yard dash in track. He usually placed in all three.

Houston offered him a football scholarship, but withdrew the offer at the last minute. He played for Lamar and IIRC he held some kind of record for tackles in consecutive games against UH, 20+ each game.

He played for the Oilers during the players strike in the 80s and they kept him on for several seasons afterwards. I think he was a special teams Pro Bowler

One of the best to ever play at Jasper.