What, no Joe Manchin thread?

Bullneck

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Fuck the economy up. Yea it’s not like we have evidence of every Republican for the past 30 years doing that and then Dems having to fix it. You’re so stupid it hurts. It seems like you work really hard at it and for most people that would lead to being smarter. But you’re exceptional 

Biden is doing a fantastic job.  And you love him for it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Dems should keep doing what they’re doing with Hispanics.  Because they love it.  More use of their term LatinX.  Pronouns and 79 genders.  Wokeness.  It’s a winning message with what’s going to be the main voting block. They love smug over educated white liberals that couldn’t change a tire too.  

I dont know about all that but whatever they did seemed to work in the last cycle, if the gop continues on its current track instead of purging the party of trump supporters and correcting the ship, they will continue to lose support. 

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Fuck the economy up. Yea it’s not like we have evidence of every Republican for the past 30 years doing that and then Dems having to fix it. You’re so stupid it hurts. It seems like you work really hard at it and for most people that would lead to being smarter. But you’re exceptional 

I'm talking about the present dumbfuckery. All you can do is "but Trump but Trump!" It's time to admit this administration in one short year is a fucking dumpster fire. With both chambers of Congress, Biden has passed through very little and just got absolutely punked by little ol West Virginia Joe. His approval rating is shit, had "fuck you" chants in college football stadiums(and no, not just down here in the south), world leaders are laughing at him for farting/sharting himself and for not seeming to have a grasp on the English language. And the midterms are not looking good for the Dems. Biden has definitely fucked up. 

1 minute ago, immortal13 said:

I'm talking about the present dumbfuckery. All you can do is "but Trump but Trump!" It's time to admit this administration in one short year is a fucking dumpster fire. With both chambers of Congress, Biden has passed through very little and just got absolutely punked by little ol West Virginia Joe. His approval rating is shit, had "fuck you" chants in college football stadiums(and no, not just down here in the south), world leaders are laughing at him for farting/sharting himself and for not seeming to have a grasp on the English language. And the midterms are not looking good for the Dems. Biden has definitely fucked up. 

Oh sorry I thought we were talking about your comment that Dems “fuck the economy up” and then “hand out checks” despite that being plainly untrue. I wouldn’t expect honesty or intelligence from you though. You really lived up to expectations.

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Oh sorry I thought we were talking about your comment that Dems “fuck the economy up” and then “hand out checks” despite that being plainly untrue. I wouldn’t expect honesty or intelligence from you though. You really lived up to expectations.

Oh I'm sorry if I left that out. Definitely wanted to make mention of the economy being fucked up. Thanks for bringing that to my attention 

So, who is Manchin listening to in West Virginia?

new survey of voters in West Virginia reveals support for many provisions included in the Build Back Better plan—the broad economic, infrastructure, care economy, and climate crisis package currently being considered by Congress. Specifically the survey found that West Virginia voters favorably view provisions aimed at improving the nation’s water infrastructure, ensuring that public investments are tied to requirements that products, technology, and materials used are made in America, and investments in workers and communities impacted by the nation’s energy transition...

…When asked about specific provisions included in the Build Back Better Plan, respondents had favorable responses to:
  • Rebuilding America’s water infrastructure to have cleaner, safer water, delivered more efficiently, and removing hazards like lead in water pipes, while creating good-paying jobs (77%);

• Ensuring that major public investments include requirements that the products, technology, and materials used are made in America and the jobs provide good pay and benefits (80%);

• Strengthening and supporting America’s human services workforce, including care providers, front-line healthcare workers, and educators (73%);

• Rebuilding and retooling American manufacturing and modernizing our factories to build more products and clean technology here in the United States (74%); and,

• Prioritizing investments to communities that need it most, including energy workers and miners most affected by the transition to clean energy (66%). 

https://www.bluegreenalliance.org/the-latest/new-survey-of-west-virginia-voters-reveals-support-for-provisions-in-build-back-better-plan/

35 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Penelope is Katy Agnor’s doppelgänger.  Unless that pic she posted wasn’t her.  

Not only are you stupid, you are fucking blind.  A quick google of this Katy Agnor brings up this…

46FBF9FC-9F26-41C2-87C1-B8DDC91B8D02.png

That looks nothing like me.  But you do you, I suppose.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

1 minute ago, immortal13 said:

Sorry I should've said murder to be more specific. Oh and did I mention racial tension is out of control. Way to go Joe! You dems gotta be super proud of this guy.

Good point on the racial tension thing, immortal! 👍 It's been one long riot since Joe became prez! That shit didn't happen under Trump. Everyone got along cuz Trump and his supporters like yourself were uniting the country! 

Way to fuck that up Joe!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Good point on the racial tension thing, immortal! 👍 It's been one long riot since Joe became prez! That shit didn't happen under Trump. Everyone got along cuz Trump and his supporters like yourself were uniting the country! 

Way to fuck that up Joe!

But Trump!!

You keep proving me right

• Haha 1

So, to recap, correct me where I am wrong:

1.The BBB infrastructure and "human infrastructure" (which I still think is a stretch of a definition) was initially one proposed bill for like half a dozen Trillion bucks, or something I don't recall the exact amount, but a lot of money. This was because the more progressive wing of the party was demanding some more progressive programs get funded or else they wouldn't vote for it.

2.Joe Manchin and his couple of rogue Democrats, the DINO's or Mavericks, said No, this is too much. We won't go for it. Too expensive and too much liberal stink for us barely democrats within the southern culture and aesthetic. 

3.Biden tried to make it work for a few weeks, was rightfully told it was a waste of time and instead to break up the bill into two parts. Get the first easier and quicker win on infrastructure and work on the harder to sell package of "human infrastructure" later.

4. At this point everyone-- democrats and republicans alike-- see this as at least a minor L. Lots of assumptions that once the infrastructure bill is passed that this other stuff will be passed and lots of Democrats on this site called it out and said the same, this was a bad political maneuver to get the human stuff done, but there was also so agreement that Biden needed this infrastructure deal because he had to have a skin on the wall to show he could actually do something. 

5. The $1.9T BBB gets done. Most sane people are cool with this bill in a vacuum-- something got done and it's good for the country. I know I was and am happy about it. 

6. All the while Joe Manchin and a couple of the holdouts are being recruited by the head coach himself-- Biden has him over for dinner at the White house, etc. Gets some verbal assurances, etc.

7. Manchin goes back on his word and says he won't vote for it. Too much zany New Deal type free money in there for his and his fundraiser/corporate backers tastes.

8. So Biden announces last week that he is putting this on ice and will instead work on voting rights bill.

--

If all the above is accurate, why have we not heard any outcry or activism from the progressive wing that was wanting all this stuff in the first place from point 1? At least I haven't seen or heard any political fire from those folks.

Beyond that, this isn't even a referendum on Biden as much as it is politics-- the big tent of the Democratic party is not able to reach a consensus with such a slim majority and politically with inflation being where it is, people are scared to put their name on another couple of trillion dollars for social entitlements and welfare. Republicans taking a victory lap seems a bit premature, politically to me, unless I'm missing something here. Also seems like I might be missing why Republicans are so sure that 2022 is going to be a massacre.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Of course everyone is going to say, “Yeah, sounds great!” if someone asks a question like the poll from the first tweet.  If you list all the positive goals of a bill that sound good to everyone without going into the details you know many of them won’t like (like immigration) and without focusing on any of the negative trade offs of allocating additional funds to those programs, who wouldn’t say they support it?

Manchin isn’t actually an idiot.  West Virginians don’t want him to vote for Build Back Better.  

https://www.newsweek.com/joe-manchin-buoyed-polls-raises-new-concerns-about-build-back-better-act-1650003

And if you ask them about things you know are going to be tough sells to them, like the proposed immigration provisions, then they say they’re hugely opposed to it:

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/partner_surveys/w_virginia_voters_side_with_manchin_opposing_amnesty_in_build_back_better

Pollsters can get whatever results they want from people by how they ask the question and what they focus on in the question.  But whether you think they’re right or wrong, West Virginia voters don’t want Manchin to support BBB and give Biden a win.  It’s the Trumpiest state in the entire country.   That’s what is driving this, not dividends from coal investments or whatever it is Manchin is getting.   

That isn’t coming from a naive belief that politicians can’t be corrupt, btw.   But, come on, if this were all about personal finances then Manchin could find plenty of ways to profit no matter how he votes on this bill.  Divest from coal right before he votes yes and happens to get some sweet green energy stock that soars with the law change?  Sure.  Or get some additional pot sweeteners from fossil fuel industry to vote no?  That works, too.  A corrupt politician profits in either case, but he only pisses off a majority of his electorate in West Virginia if he looks like a party line Biden/Democrat supporter instead of an iconoclast Democrat in name only.

Yep. That poll was garbage. Poll specifics of a bill, not its title.  

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Yep. That poll was garbage. Poll specifics of a bill, not its title.  

So, you agree that BBB has positive aspects of it that would benefit many of Manchin’s constituents? Since West Virginia is the among the least ethnically diverse states in the entire country, it strains credulity to think that they would be among those most impacted by immigration. Stevie Wonder can see that it’s an old tire trope used by Republicans to raise racial anxiety among poorly educated white voters.

Did you see the polling on these specific provisions of BBB?

When asked about specific provisions included in the Build Back Better Plan, respondents had favorable responses to:
  • Rebuilding America’s water infrastructure to have cleaner, safer water, delivered more efficiently, and removing hazards like lead in water pipes, while creating good-paying jobs (77%);

• Ensuring that major public investments include requirements that the products, technology, and materials used are made in America and the jobs provide good pay and benefits (80%);

• Strengthening and supporting America’s human services workforce, including care providers, front-line healthcare workers, and educators (73%);

• Rebuilding and retooling American manufacturing and modernizing our factories to build more products and clean technology here in the United States (74%); and,

• Prioritizing investments to communities that need it most, including energy workers and miners most affected by the transition to clean energy (66%). 
Edited by Satchel
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Sorry I should've said murder to be more specific. Oh and did I mention racial tension is out of control. Way to go Joe! You dems gotta be super proud of this guy.

Right because racial tension was all kum by yah the past 4 years under trump... 

jfc you're grasping here

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, immortal13 said:

And yet, it's much better than the alternative.

10 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Penelope is Katy Agnor’s doppelgänger.  Unless that pic she posted wasn’t her.  

Can’t believe some people like Penolope don’t know or remember what LonghornGirlie/Katy Agnor looks like. If you are a member of this community, that’s common collective knowledge.

EC521F4A-A196-49E9-B5F8-3426758B6EF3.jpeg

Edited by Macklemore