2021-22 PGA thread

Wally Fairway

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

No way Cam gets it after he goes to LIV tomorrow. 

Lol I love Rory but that's the gayest fucking take ever. He didn't win a major... again. He totally blew the British to a guy that's bailing for LIV. He played some phenomenal golf this season but majors are the only thing that are really going to help him jump the ladder. 

That said.... he's still easily the best player since Tiger/Phil and he's only 33. But he's got to get that major monkey off his back. Very excited to see what he has or doesn't have at Augusta in 2023. 

Fuck the LIV tour, and fuck all those guys who took the money. A pox upon their house. Fuck Greg Norman, and fuck Saudi Arabia. I hope all the players who signed with them suffer from early onset arthritis and chronic ED.

That said, if I was a pro golfer and they offered me guaranteed 9 figs, or even mid 8 figs I’d sign that contract in a heartbeat.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Golf needs a superstar, he’s not it. 

This is proving to be a weird era. His resume kind of blows any one else's out of the water at this point. And I'd bet on him getting to 5 majors before anyone else does. 

Agree he's not a huge superstar but he's as close as anyone. If nothing else he's a great steward for the post-Tiger era. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

Fuck the LIV tour, and fuck all those guys who took the money. A pox upon their house. Fuck Greg Norman, and fuck Saudi Arabia. I hope all the players who signed with them suffer from early onset arthritis and chronic ED.

That said, if I was a pro golfer and they offered me guaranteed 9 figs, or even mid 8 figs I’d sign that contract in a heartbeat.

Of course you would, when you already have early onset arthritis and ED, then what do you have to lose?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Here is the final scoring summary, without the starting handicap

• Rory McIlroy: -17
  • Sungjae Im: -16
  • Max Homa: -15
  • Justin Thomas: -14
  • Tom Hoge: -13
  • Xander Schauffele: -12
  • Sepp Straka: -12
  • Aaron Wise: -12
  • Tony Finau: -11
  • Joaquin Niemann: -11
  • Hideki Matsuyama: -11
  • J.T. Poston: -11
  • Scottie Scheffler: -10
  • Jordan Spieth: -10
  • Viktor Hovland: -9
  • Patrick Cantlay: -8
  • Matt Fitzpatrick: -8
  • Jon Rahm: -8
  • Cameron Young: -7
  • Brian Harman: -7
  • Billy Horschel: -7
  • Collin Morikawa: -7
  • Cameron Smith: -5
  • Adam Scott: -4
  • Sam Burns: -2
  • Corey Conners: -2
  • K.H. Lee: -1
  • Sahith Theegala: +1
  • Scott Stallings: +6

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is proving to be a weird era. His resume kind of blows any one else's out of the water at this point. And I'd bet on him getting to 5 majors before anyone else does. 

Agree he's not a huge superstar but he's as close as anyone. If nothing else he's a great steward for the post-Tiger era. 

Just the fact that has stepped up in the locker room as the clear leader for the PGA makes a big difference in how he is perceived.  He's completely changed my opinion of him over the last few years.  I respect the hell out of the guy.  That being said, he is not the super star that golf needs.  We need another Jack, Tiger, or Arnie but I don't know that he is out there anywhere at them moment. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

Just the fact that has stepped up in the locker room as the clear leader for the PGA makes a big difference in how he is perceived.  He's completely changed my opinion of him over the last few years.  I respect the hell out of the guy.  That being said, he is not the super star that golf needs.  We need another Jack, Tiger, or Arnie but I don't know that he is out there anywhere at them moment. 

He's ready made, though. He just has to break through again. I still can't believe he pissed away the British. That would have been a monumental accomplishment. 

He has another huge season ahead of him, expectation wise. If he wins at Augusta in 2023 he's past Phil and Trevino at that point and probably in the top 10 all-time. For not being a legit superstar he's basically a major win away from it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He's ready made, though. He just has to break through again. I still can't believe he pissed away the British. That would have been a monumental accomplishment. 

He has another huge season ahead of him, expectation wise. If he wins at Augusta in 2023 he's past Phil and Trevino at that point and probably in the top 10 all-time. For not being a legit superstar he's basically a major win away from it. 

Trevino won 6 majors and 29 PGA tournaments in Jack's prime and been struck by lightning 3 times. Rory ain't got shit on Lee.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Trevino won 6 majors and 29 PGA tournaments in Jack's prime and been struck by lightning 3 times. Rory ain't got shit on Lee.

I'm talking hypotheticals. Rory with a Masters for a career slam in this era and I think he easily jumps Phil and Trevino. The Tour is so different now. 

Trevino was a monster. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm talking hypotheticals. Rory with a Masters for a career slam in this era and I think he easily jumps Phil and Trevino. The Tour is so different now. 

Trevino was a monster. 

Trevino playing for 16 mil would have been interesting

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

During the 1975 Western Open at Butler National in Oak Brook, Illinois, Lee Trevino was standing on the 13th green. But suddenly, as the rain started pouring down; he opened an umbrella. However, along with rain, lightning struck Trevino and left him unconscious. Moreover, he wasn’t the only guy who was struck by lightning. Even Jerry Heard and Bobby Nichols were taken to a hospital from the course.

Trevino had suffered burns to his back, while Heard had burns on his leg, and Bobby had damage to his head. Even King Arnold Palmer was in the field and had an interesting experience. The King said when lightning struck, his club went flying from his hand. 

So after a while, when Lee Trevino recovered, a reporter asked if he would do anything different to avoid being struck by lightning. And that’s when Trevino came up with his legendary punch line saying he would hold a 1-iron in the air because not even God can hit 1-iron. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

7 more players jumping ship. The pga had a golden goose and waited too long to share their riches 

That golden goose has a name: Tiger.

Funny how none of them were complaining before Norman showed up. All of a sudden they were all hurting for money. The truth is not one of those guys is recognizable to the average person. The only player that is universally recognized anywhere he goes is Tiger. The rest are just leeches on his fame. They could walk through a grocery store and nobody would know who they are, yet they wanna be paid like Tiger.

"Oh, you play golf? That's great. So does my husband."

The difference is of course that he actually earned everything he has by sustaining a level of success in an individual sport that will probably never be seen again. Yes, he is rich, but he has to pay the cost of being a celebrity, everyone knows who he is, and everyone mobbing him everywhere he goes. The rest of these guys win a few tournaments, have more money than golfers 20 years ago could have ever imagined, and get to live a lavish rich life in relative anonymity. All on the back of HIS success. Then they turn around and bitch and moan like that isn't enough. It's bullshit, from Tiger's perspective.

Edited by Pam Cummings

I actually think Rory has superstar qualities and could be one on the Phil/Tom Watson type level (nobody is going to be Jack or Tiger) he just hasn’t won enough and some of when he won was boring and weird (The US Open at Congressional that played as a dart board). 
you can’t go 8 years in a row, or whatever it is, in your absolute prime and not win a major and be the guy that golf needs. 
Rory fumbling the open to Cam Smith was a very bad outcome for the tour. 
Keeping Hideki is way bigger than many/most Americans believe for the world wide nature of the tour. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Of the most recent traitors, Cam Smith is the only player that hurts the PGA. But with Norman in his ear, it's no surprise. The rest of them are meh. I'm not going to miss watching the few times they show HViii's swing. That shit is UGLY.

It kinda sucks Neimann is jumping but with Sergio in his ear, it's no surprise.

People bitching about viewership or lack thereof on PGA tour, what are they saying about the non-existent viewership of LIV events. These mediocre jackholes will make millions playing for nobody.

I don't need a PGA superstar for me to watch golf on the weekends. It's golf. It's always entertaining watching these dudes make an incredibly hard game look easy.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 1

I wonder how the lack of pressure on the LIV tour will impact the player’s play in majors going forward? Can they really be prepared for tournament play at the highest level when they’ve had very little pressure applied to the all year?

I don’t think they’ll have to worry about it for long.

Aside from Smith, not much eligibility left for most of them anyway. And even with Phil having a lifetime or whatever for something or another, he probably fades away too.

Unless the saudis make him, or should I say strongly encourage him, to play what he can for the attention. 

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

I’m surprised by HV3. I like watching him. We’ve similar frames, and he’s helped me with some stuff just from watching. 

Mullet boy is entertaining (to me) as well, but not a big loss overall really. Even with the Open win. He’s a name, granted B-list, but a name none the less.

Not much on the radar lost to LIV. (had to search to figure out that Varner was HV3)

Keeping Cam Young and Hideki is great !!!

Wow. Damon and Eamon talking about LIV right now, with Rex Hoggard opining, and revealing a ridiculous loophole that exists for the LIV jumpers.

The DP World Tour, aka European Tour.

Right now they are unable to enforce suspensions of players like the PGA can. So defectors to LIV can still play the euro tour at will, get WGR points, and RYDER CUP points.

It looks like this loophole may be closed, but it has to wait until February. (edit: to allow for some type of trial/hearing or something euro goofy. /edit)

Damon made the comment that the guys announcing their jump since the start aren't jumping over with their chest held high, and everybody is just slinking away, including world #2.

Interesting little tidbit, and one that may be making some things a lot more difficult for the PGA for a bit.

Edited by thunderlounge
February clarification, and fuck chip brown

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Wow. Damon and Eamon talking about LIV right now, with Rex Hoggard opining, and revealing a ridiculous loophole that exists for the LIV jumpers.

The DP World Tour, aka European Tour.

Right now they are unable to enforce suspensions of players like the PGA can. So defectors to LIV can still play the euro tour at will, get WGR points, and RYDER CUP points.

It looks like this loophole may be closed, but it has to wait until February. (edit: to allow for some type of trial/hearing or something euro goofy. /edit)

Damon made the comment that the guys announcing their jump since the start aren't jumping over with their chest held high, and everybody is just slinking away, including world #2.

Interesting little tidbit, and one that may be making some things a lot more difficult for the PGA for a bit.

Except you get shit OWGR points for playing on the Euro tour.

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If they all went over and played together they'd get a bunch, right? Isn't it based on field strength?  

True - that would help. But a lot of them aren't very high in the ranking anymore. And they'd need to all commit to the same tournaments. And they'd be taking points away from each other at the same time as it would be harder to win or place highly...

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

True - that would help. But a lot of them aren't very high in the ranking anymore. And they'd need to all commit to the same tournaments. And they'd be taking points away from each other at the same time as it would be harder to win or place highly...

Plus all that extra time away from family 🤣

• Haha 5