Brian Jones was right.

Rockethorn1978

8 hours ago, CTC2 said:

I don't believe any of this booster shit.  Every big money guy I know hates to lose at anything.  That's why they are BMD's.  The thought that they are pushing a "great white hope" is bullshit.  Daddy Thompson has been tending the narrative for a couple of years Texas fans could not stand to have a QB from Oklahoma.  When that did not get any traction, they went to this.  

university-of-oklahoma-qb-charles-thompson-february-27-1989-sports-illustrated-cover.jpg

i once saw this guy picking up trash along i20 in big spring wearing those jail stripes

6 hours ago, dec3169 said:

How can you even take that article seriously when the second paragraph says this:    "Texas is currently amidst a three-game losing streak and Sarkisian’s first year at the helm has been a dumpster fire thus far."

3 game losing streak?  Try 6.  The article says it was published yesterday - even 5 might've been correct but 3?  I call complete BS.

I only took it seriously because I heard Brian Jones on his radio segment on The Ticket in Dallas earlier in the week saying many of the exact same things quoted in that article. I listened to it live and, although I don't remember him specifically saying race was what was driving the boosters meddling, he did say many of the exact same things quoted in that article. Almost verbatim on a lot of it, as if he's on some kind of campaign. And he definitely insinuated the race thing by mentioning some of the emails he'd seen associated with The Eyes' controversy.

Anyway, that article might be from a shit source or written by a shit "journalist" but, assuming they aren't completely misquoting what Jones said, the source of the article and inaccuracy of other supporting "facts," doesn't change what Jones said.

I think the bullshit part is that if Brian Jones is going to go around talking publicly on air about the problem being meddling, over-stepping, racist boosters, then he needs to come out with it and elaborate on what's leading to those claims, instead of backing out of the cul de sac like this...

Jones would not specify any of the details regarding the players that he was referring to in his claims. When asked to elaborate, he said the following:

“I don’t want to be a detriment to that program, and therefore I’ve decided not to share that. At some point, I may be forced to put that out there. But I’m not going to do it.”

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

Schooler isn't great

Hot take!

8 hours ago, CTC2 said:

I don't believe any of this booster shit.  Every big money guy I know hates to lose at anything.  That's why they are BMD's.  The thought that they are pushing a "great white hope" is bullshit.  Daddy Thompson has been tending the narrative for a couple of years Texas fans could not stand to have a QB from Oklahoma.  When that did not get any traction, they went to this.  

8 hours ago, CTC2 said:

Not shooting at you but I call BS on this as some sort of widespread basis.  You what these big money guys hate more than anything?  Losing and being made to look stupid.  The thought that someone is going to do what Jones said is laughable.  

What they often hate even more than losing is deferring or conceding to professionals outside their own areas of expertise, even when it is necessary to win.
See also Jones, Jerry. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

46 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

It’s easy to change your mind about someone when they fuck up. He’s dumb as hell for stirring up nonsense.

And to your last sentence, yes.

Look at our National Title defense. The only white guy on the defense could jump higher than a fucking kangaroo and set a record for social teams blocks. JJ Watt was a great comparisons for the stupid shit you just said in your post.

The whole thought tfhat anyone takes racial motivation over winning is fucking stupid. Anyone who thinks they actually do this needs a tin foil hat and a handful of tide pods.

Fine, the one exception to the rule (not really an exception because the white dude could play) is our national championship D. Meanwhile we've had dozens of others Boyded, Derryed, Renfroed, and Brockermeyered. 

Like I mentioned on another post Jeffrey McCulloch said something similar to what Jones is saying now in pre-season on this site's own podcast. Something about a certain five or six guys who were going to play no matter what...it seemed kinda shitty then, but hey, winning would paper all that over, right? 

So many of y'all hear these things and your first and only impulse is to shoot the messenger.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Fine, the one exception to the rule (not really an exception because the white dude could play) is our national championship D. Meanwhile we've had dozens of others Boyded, Derryed, Renfroed, and Brockermeyered. 

Like I mentioned on another post Jeffrey McCulloch said something similar to what Jones is saying now in pre-season on this site's own podcast. Something about a certain five or six guys who were going to play no matter what...it seemed kinda shitty then, but hey, winning would paper all that over, right? 

So many of y'all hear these things and your first and only impulse is to shoot the messenger.  

That’s the point. He’s not the messenger. He’s fabricating bullshit.

Name a better replacement than your conspiracy theory white people. This is a serious request. We have a lot of underclassmen that I don’t think would be better. You also have to remember the attrition of our upperclassmen. I really don’t think we have better players.

Currently we have a lot of shitty players and I’m not going to be a simple minded bigot and say it has do with color like it’s the 1950s.

Are y'all sure he wasn't talking about someone paying for BJ Foster to get playing time because he's black?

Imagine seeing a team full of players lacking talent, most of whom are black, and your first thought is, "A couple of those who are also playing shitty are white.  That has to be some conspiracy."

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

Are y'all sure he wasn't talking about someone paying for BJ Foster to get playing time because he's black?

Imagine seeing a team full of players lacking talent, most of whom are black, and your first thought is, "A couple of those who are also playing shitty are white.  That has to be some conspiracy."

I don't know what he was talking about because he refused to elaborate on it. He just farted in the room and walked out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

That’s a fair point. I’m not sure who he is eluding to.

He could be referring to a super talented middle-eastern 3rd string that the big cigars are holding back.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I only took it seriously because I heard Brian Jones on his radio segment on The Ticket in Dallas earlier in the week saying many of the exact same things quoted in that article. I listened to it live and, although I don't remember him specifically saying race was what was driving the boosters meddling, he did say many of the exact same things quoted in that article. Almost verbatim on a lot of it, as if he's on some kind of campaign. And he definitely insinuated the race thing by mentioning some of the emails he'd seen associated with The Eyes' controversy.

Anyway, that article might be from a shit source or written by a shit "journalist" but, assuming they aren't completely misquoting what Jones said, the source of the article and inaccuracy of other supporting "facts," doesn't change what Jones said.

I think the bullshit part is that if Brian Jones is going to go around talking publicly on air about the problem being meddling, over-stepping, racist boosters, then he needs to come out with it and elaborate on what's leading to those claims, instead of backing out of the cul de sac like this...

IF it’s a true story, it’s a total bitch move by Jones to float the story then refuse to give specifics because he’s doesn’t “want to be a detriment to the program.” Floating the story in the first place is detrimental to the program. If you don’t want to paint the program in a bad light, don’t bring it up in the first place.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Jeffrey McCulloch said something similar to what Jones is saying now in pre-season on this site's own podcast. Something about a certain five or six guys who were going to play no matter what...it seemed kinda shitty then, but hey, winning would paper all that over, right? 

Let's provide valuable facts to this thread  regarding the  "Surly McCulloch podcast"

RGBIII post:  "As the guy who recorded that podcast I can confirm it was NOT racial. It was in regards to favoritism and the best players not playing but there was zero racial undertones to it nor has their been any racial undertones in any conversation I have had with him or another player since"

@RGBIII 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t believe any of that. Maybe preferential treatment, sure that I can believe. I’ve seen that myself.
But I struggle to believe that the coach at the university of Texas has a mandated racial element to determine who his starters are. I just refuse to believe that.

This.

4 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

It’s disheartening that some of our own fans are so convinced of the secret cabal of racists conspiracy, like they are hiding around every corner of Bellmont. It’s almost like they need it to be true for some disturbed reason.

No one ever names them outside of the crap about Red McCombs. Ol’ Red was someone who thought he was about to land Saban, and when that blew up and Charlie was hired, he made a comment (correctly, as it turned out) that Chuckles was better as a coordinator. Race, of course, was the only possible explanation in some minds, even though Red had a black head coach of the Vikings when he owned the franchise.

Then, people want to pick a handful of white players who were mostly mediocre at best and use that as evidence of the cabal strong-arming coaches. Any one of us could look at the starting lineups over the past 15 years and find scores of unimpressive black players starting in front of mostly black backups. It’s just a lot easier to spot the white ones because they are fewer in number and stand out.

But, go ahead and attack out of self hatred. That’s how many empires (lol) crumble. Our enemies will point to our own fans as evidence that this all must be true. 

Red just has a thing against potatoes.  It’s vegetableism!

• Rage+1 1

If the boosters were pressuring the coach to play a player, then the coach should have told them to fuck themselves.  And the AD should have walked over to shake their hands and apologize for the coach.  If the coach is still feeling the pressure then the AD should go fuck himself.   If the coach is feeling pressure on who to take from boosters, than he should go fuck himself.   

We should refocus Burnt Ends on pooling all our resources -- cash, liquidate investments, second mortgages, cash in 401(k)s -- into a pool that would maked one of us dick-swinging, cigar chomping Big Money Donor, with near total control over Sark and CDC.

Must answer to the Collective Surl or slush fund access will be removed and he will be replaced by next Surl up.

There are no possible flaws in this plan and it is likely the only conceivable way to save this program. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 10:39 PM, OU Sucks said:

Schooler isn't great, but he and Overshown seem to be the only ones on D that have a pulse half the time.  And when he doesn't get juked out of his shoes, he's somewhat reliable at tackling.

Agreed. During the Iowa State game in the 4th quarter Schooler was the only guy on defense that was still hustling and making tackles(or if he missed at least put forth an effort) while most of the LBs and secondary had quit.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 years later...