YouTube TV

Asithappens

19 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Maybe Disney will drag their nuts across Google’s face by making all of ESPN available as a streaming service. YouTube TV would probably lose 75% of subscribers if that happened.

Maybe, maybe not.  Disney can't offer all the locals and whatnot.

Not 5 minutes ago I received a mass email from Youtube.  They are going to lower the cost of Youtube TV by $15 for the duration of the lockout, if it happens.  Granted, it's not convenient, but at least they are being sorta honorable here and I do have options to get the ESPN networks back in the interim. 

• Like 1

I’d bet very few people care about local networks. There’s probably very few people under 40 that gets their news from a local broadcast. If you aren’t after the local news, why would you care if it’s local?

Sports.

In tangential news, I signed up for a three month free trial of YouTube Premium so there are no ads on YouTube. Holy crap it’s great, and so easy to go down a rathole.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I got the email Francisco got. Alphabet/Google/YTTV has some balls, they even suggest that if an agreement isn’t reached soon, you can take the $15 you’re saving every month after 12/17 and just buy the ESPN/Disney/Hulu bundle for $13.99 🤣 Seems like they are in it (the squabble) for as long as it takes. 

I do like YTTV’s gamut of ESPN offerings, and the various games are easy to find, so I hope it’s resolved before an impasse happens.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I got the email Francisco got. Alphabet/Google/YTTV has some balls, they even suggest that if an agreement isn’t reached soon, you can take the $15 you’re saving every month after 12/17 and just buy the ESPN/Disney/Hulu bundle for $13.99 🤣 Seems like they are in it (the squabble) for as long as it takes. 

I do like YTTV’s gamut of ESPN offerings, and the various games are easy to find, so I hope it’s resolved before an impasse happens.

I was considering upgrading my Disney+ bundle this week to get Hulu and ESPN+ if a deal wasn’t worked out but I read that ESPN+ isn’t really a channel so I wouldn’t be able to watch MNF or any game that is being broadcast on their channels. This sucks.

I have a family member with an old school cable subscription and I use that account to access the WatchESPN app, or whatever it’s called. Not sure if that concept works for others, but it’s how I’ve watched LHN the last several years. Here’s to hoping YTTV and Disney work out a deal, using the app kinda sucks (I can’t rewind).

39 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I have a family member with an old school cable subscription and I use that account to access the WatchESPN app, or whatever it’s called. Not sure if that concept works for others, but it’s how I’ve watched LHN the last several years. Here’s to hoping YTTV and Disney work out a deal, using the app kinda sucks (I can’t rewind).

Yeah a deal needs to be made by this Friday. I'm not optimistic. I think I'm leaning towards cancelling YTTV. First it was with Roku and now Disney+.

11 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I'm going to put YTTV on hold starting Friday. Should I just go with Hulu or is there a better streaming option out there?

Sling TV has a month trial for either $10 or $20(combined package that is good for both NFL and college fans)

I’m considering Hulu TV and might do the deal for $73 a month that includes Hulu TV and the Disney+ bundle. I too am waiting to see what happens this Friday.

I figure I have until sometime on the 18th to get Hulu, if they do cut off YTTV.  One week of trial on their live package would take me through the 25th, and maybe by then, they can come to an agreement.

What really throws a wrench in everything; on the 1st, Mom and Dad are cutting the cord.  I was going to let them have access to my YTTV as a family member, and they can get everything they were getting with their current cable provider (not worried on the tech side of things with their internet, streaming device, whatnot).  But if this goes past the 1st, then we will have a decision to make on what they are wanting to do.

38 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

YTTV can absolutely get fucked if this happens. They already lost Bally Sports/Fox Sports SW. This would be the last straw for me. 

TBF, Bally/FSSW is fucking around with just about every provider outside of AT&T/DirecTV, to whom I will never give another dime. AT&T can get seriously fucked.

On 12/14/2021 at 7:42 AM, Vito Andolini said:

Alphabet sent the same email when they were negotiating with NBC/Universal a month or so ago, and a deal got done on the last day.  Alphabet has far more to lose than The Mouse, IMHO, so I'd be surpirsed if a deal isn't finalized. Although it still pisses me off that I'm going to wind up paying more for bullshit channels I never watch. 

Just give me an al la carte package of all the sports channels, HGTV for the wife, Disney/Nick for the kid, and I'd be fine.  Providers holding us hostage for shit channels no one watches just sucks.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

If AT&T is involved, blame AT&T.  They are dicks to all the other providers when it is time to negotiate a new deal because they own something at every level of the content chain and like fucking over their competition.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Allegedly, it's a seemingly small (to me) sticking point:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/youtube-tv-loses-disney-channels-including-espn-in-standoff-11639804500

YouTube TV subscribers lost access to channels including ESPN and FX after YouTube’s agreement to carry programming from Walt DisneyCo. DIS 0.01% expired Saturday.

The standoff pits Google’s YouTube TV, which streams a package of channels to consumers, against Disney, parent of the ABC broadcasting network and cable channels including Disney Channel and Freeform. Google is a unit of Alphabet Inc. GOOG -1.41%

YouTube TV subscribers lost access to a basketball game in progress between the Los Angeles Lakers and Minnesota Timberwolves. When the game cut out suddenly, some fans took to Twitter to complain about it.

“We’ve been in ongoing negotiations with Google’s YouTube TV and unfortunately, they have declined to reach a fair deal with us based on market terms and conditions. As a result, their subscribers have lost access to our unrivaled portfolio of networks,” a Disney spokeswoman said in a statement. “We stand ready to reach an equitable agreement with Google as quickly as possible in order to minimize the inconvenience to YouTube TV viewers by restoring our networks. We hope Google will join us in that effort.”

The companies are fighting over distribution fees for the Disney channels. A sticking point is YouTube TV’s request for a clause that would guarantee it pays the same rate as distributors of a similar size, according to people familiar with the matter.

“We’ve held good faith negotiations with Disney for several months. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we’ve been unable to reach an equitable agreement before our existing one expired, and their channels are no longer available on YouTube TV,” a YouTube spokeswoman said in a statement. “We know this is frustrating news for our customers, and not what we wanted. We will continue conversations with Disney to advocate on your behalf in hopes of restoring their content on YouTube TV.”

Although YouTube TV doesn’t disclose the number of subscribers, a person close to the company said it is more than four million. Its subscriber count tops the traditional pay-TV providers Altice USA Inc.and Verizon Communications Inc., according to data from MoffettNathanson.

YouTube TV carries more than a dozen Disney channels, plus local broadcast channels. The loss removes a sizable chunk of YouTube TV’s offering. YouTube TV said it would drop its monthly subscription price to $49.99 from $64.99 as long as the channels are unavailable.

The impasse between the programmer and distributor spilled out into the public earlier this week when YouTube began to notify subscribers that they could soon lose access to Disney’s programming. YouTube TV also took the unusual step of encouraging subscribers to purchase a subscription to Disney’s streaming services such as Disney+ and ESPN+ to regain access to some of the content they would lose.

Eh, my nephew is graduating today.  I'll go celebrate his degree, eat a nice meal afterwards with my family then figure something out tonight.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

I canceled.  What is the consensus next best service that includes local channels plus as many sports channels as possible?  

I just jumped over to Hulu. So far, so good. Some things that seem better, some things that seem not as good, but pretty much a wash from everything I’ve seen in the few short hours I’ve messed with it.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I just jumped over to Hulu. So far, so good. Some things that seem better, some things that seem not as good, but pretty much a wash from everything I’ve seen in the few short hours I’ve messed with it.

I was just looking at them and the only hitch for me is 50 hours of DVR only.  I still cannot believe these fuckers let this happen when they did.  I'm missing the Boca Raton bowl for god's sake.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

All for fucking $15 off??

Lost channels:

Your local ABC channel ABC News Live Disney Channel Disney Junior Disney XD Freeform FX FXX FXM National Geographic National Geographic Wild ESPN ESPN2 ESPN3 (by authentication to the ESPN app) ESPNU ESPNEWS SEC Network ACC Network.

Bye Felicia. 

1 minute ago, Hozz said:

I was just looking at them and the only hitch for me is 50 hours of DVR only.  I still cannot believe these fuckers let this happen when they did.  I'm missing the Boca Raton bowl for god's sake.

Can you actually delete recordings? That would be a bonus. 

3 hours ago, Hozz said:

I canceled.  What is the consensus next best service that includes local channels plus as many sports channels as possible?  

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I'm going to give fubo.tv a trial. Looks like I get 7 days, which is long enough to see if Alphabet gets its shit together. In 7 days, someone gets the axe.

Seems to be heavily sports focused and a much better lineup than Hulu.

Sling has no ESPN and is a no go.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, hundredTT said:

All for fucking $15 off??

Lost channels:

Your local ABC channel ABC News Live Disney Channel Disney Junior Disney XD Freeform FX FXX FXM National Geographic National Geographic Wild ESPN ESPN2 ESPN3 (by authentication to the ESPN app) ESPNU ESPNEWS SEC Network ACC Network.

Bye Felicia. 

Yeah, basically these are the reasons I'm paying for TV, here.

13 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I'm going to give fubo.tv a trial. Looks like I get 7 days, which is long enough to see if Alphabet gets its shit together. In 7 days, someone gets the axe.

Seems to be heavily sports focused and a much better lineup than Hulu.

Sling has no ESPN and is a no go.

Doing the Hulu free trial right now for a week. If shits not done by 24th I’ll do the Fubo free trial for a week and decide between the 2. Assuming stuffs not done yet.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Can you actually delete recordings? That would be a bonus. 

Don’t know yet because I don’t have anything in my stockpile yet. But I did confirm you can choose to record only new episodes or all episodes which is life changing alone. Wasn’t an option on YTTV. Didn’t matter for DVR space, but damn those old reruns would pile up and  clutter the hell outa things.

• Hook 'Em 1

Doesn’t The Mouse own Hulu? Looks an awful lot like it’s trying force us to jump ship to their service. 

Hulu’s tiny DVR (or 200mb for an extra $10/mo) really sucks. 

If you’re going to add Hulu, do so before Dec 21. Their rates are going up. 

51 minutes ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

Doing the Hulu free trial right now for a week. If shits not done by 24th I’ll do the Fubo free trial for a week and decide between the 2. Assuming stuffs not done yet.

Yeah. I looked at the lineups before I signed up. Hulu's is only slightly better than Sling.tv's, who doesn't have ESPN at all.

With Fubo.tv I spent the extra $11 for the sports package and NFL Redzone. Might cancel that bit later, who knows? As-is it's 50% more than I was paying for YouTubeTV (I get an extra $10 as a T-Mobile subscriber). 

27 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Doesn’t The Mouse own Hulu? Looks an awful lot like it’s trying force us to jump ship to their service. 

Hulu’s tiny DVR (or 200mb for an extra $10/mo) really sucks. 

If you’re going to add Hulu, do so before Dec 21. Their rates are going up. 

Yeah, pretty sure the mouse does own Hulu. That's not a reason to jump to Fubo.tv instead like I did, though. It just has a very underwhelming list of sports.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Almost like The Mouse planned it that way…

Naw. They want to reject Alphabet's restrictions on charging more, and have every right to do so. And they have a lot more leverage than NBCUniversal; their existing streaming services are well-established and profitable, and ESPN's family of channels alone are reasons why people pay for TV in the first place.

I think Alphabet got the idea that they had more leverage than they do from the NBCUniversal thing, not realizing that the content the Mouse provides is more valuable.

As I'm writing this, I'm actually wondering if the Hulu sub is a better deal, now, since we already pay for Disney+...

FYI, I didn't notice it in this thread, but you can pause your YTTV plan while you are looking elsewhere instead of canceling.  

Not going to sign up for anything today, although Fubo looks like the leader in the clubhouse at the moment.  I can get through the NFL tomorrow on YTTV.

One other thought, and this has always been in the back of my mind.  Google cancels services and whatnot all the time, with little to no warning.  Google has a few safe platforms--search, mail, Android and Chrome OS/Chrome browser.  Anything else is something that probably is just marking time for now.   It would not be out of character for Google to just come out and say they are getting out of the streaming TV business for good.  

21 hours ago, kevwun said:

What is the fubo dvr like?  I am not a fan of not being able to delete recordings on youtube and it doesn't remember where you left off in the middle of "recorded" shows.

It was bleh, especially after the YTTV experience. I was not going to stick with FuboTV regardless of the outcome with YTTV.

Edited by Rimbo