Texas BBQ

Washpark

Stopped by Interstellar again yesterday (second time there).  Was late in the day, so they were out of moist brisket;  the lean was very good, as were the pork ribs and sausage.  The smoked scalloped potatoes are really amazing, and the ranch style beans are also nice.

55 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Gonna be Snow's vs Franklin in the end.

Which is what it was always going to be, provided they started on opposite sides of the bracket.  I'm cool with that.  I have a preference, but both are quite good.

Never been to Brett's Backyard, but surprised they ended up beating Valentina's.

Huge win for Brett’s, never heard of the place

I have been seeing them on Instagram for the past 6 months or so. Seems legit and I had hoped to try them out before the summer is over. I think the first time I heard of them was through that Instagram account I posted up thread “no sides no sauce”.

http:// https://instagram.com/nosides_nosauce?igshid=134g7m9nykjt7

Brett’s is legit and he has caught lightning in a bottle out there in Rockdale. Brett is a really good dude and has a massive following. I’m not really surprised that he’s made it to the the final four. Polls like this are a popularity contest (seriously, most people who vote haven’t eaten at all these places) and Brett’s following is vocal. And that is not a slight on his cooking skill, because he is a solid cook.

On 6/26/2019 at 1:17 PM, Errestaurants said:

Went by CorkScrew in Spring. Always forget how good and consistent it is.0be55e6112b30335570f5efe7a663cde.jpg661b3d612cffa724f9deba2ccc3aa53d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

how long do you hover over your food snapping phone pics before you eat it?  usually you’re good for about 6 different angles of the exact same shot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Player said:

How long do you hover over your keyboard contemplating whether your drivel has captured the right amounts of smarmy and cocksucker before you hit reply?

I'm sure it's the same amount of time it takes him to contemplate asking for just the tip or the full cock in his ass. 

• Like 1

Stopped at City Market while driving back from S. Padre to investigate the rumors of its demise. Those rumors had me sad, since for a long time it was my absolute all-time #1.

Happy to say the rumors are at least slightly exaggerated. I got a slice of brisket, a rib, and a link. It all tasted good, if a bit dry (it was 3:45 PM, so not unexpected/unusual). I did order moist brisket, and got a slice that had both moist and lean since they didn't separate the point and flat. The lean was actually better, as the texture of the point was a bit rubbery.

Ultimately, it isn't elite anymore for sure. Not worth the drive from Austin to go, but if, like me, you were in the area, you could do a lot worse. 

One note, the 1/4 lb of brisket plus a rib plus a link plus tea was under $12, where at a lot of the elites, I'm looking more like $20. Two links, a couple slices of bread, a splash of their still-elite sauce, and a tea or big red is still a hell of a lunch for $6 or so.

Just got back from Pecan Lodge, first visit since early 2018 when I used to live in deep ellum. Wow that place has totally lost its mojo. Brisket had almost no smoke flavor to it and the pulled pork had no smoke flavor whatsoever. Pork ribs were good only because of the sauce lather on top that I don't remember from last time. Mac and cheese used to have bacon sprinkles on top of it but now it's 75% bacon 25% macaroni (I probably shouldn't complain about that but whatever). Interior of the building is still pretty relaxing as well as the outdoor seating area. Weirdly in the men's bathroom they had a painting made with their sauce when they first opened but it got stolen a few years ago. They replaced it with a sign that said "we used to have a painting here until some jackass stole it" and now that painting is gone lol.

Banana pudding and peach cobbler are still the tits. But nobody waits in line for an hour to get dessert from a BBQ restaurant. I feel like such a piece of shit because folks kept asking me about the food and I told them it was some of the best in Dallas. Not anymore. Holy shit.

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Just got back from Pecan Lodge, first visit since early 2018 when I used to live in deep ellum. Wow that place has totally lost its mojo. Brisket had almost no smoke flavor to it and the pulled pork had no smoke flavor whatsoever. Pork ribs were good only because of the sauce lather on top that I don't remember from last time. Mac and cheese used to have bacon sprinkles on top of it but now it's 75% bacon 25% macaroni (I probably shouldn't complain about that but whatever). Interior of the building is still pretty relaxing as well as the outdoor seating area. Weirdly in the men's bathroom they had a painting made with their sauce when they first opened but it got stolen a few years ago. They replaced it with a sign that said "we used to have a painting here until some jackass stole it" and now that painting is gone lol.

Banana pudding and peach cobbler are still the tits. But nobody waits in line for an hour to get dessert from a BBQ restaurant. I feel like such a piece of shit because folks kept asking me about the food and I told them it was some of the best in Dallas. Not anymore. Holy shit.

What day and time were you there?  I’ve found it to be hit and miss lately.  And it kind of appears that weekends and/or later in the day times are the misses.

30 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Wonder if they had a big turnover in staff, seems like every employee opens their own q joint after working at one for 3 months.

I think one of their guys left to go be the pitmaster at Peggy Sue like a year ago, but other than that, I haven’t heard of any new joints opening up or key people leaving.  But what the hell do I know

18 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Wonder if they had a big turnover in staff, seems like every employee opens their own q joint after working at one for 3 months.

The owners are not involved day to day anymore.  They moved away from Dallas, perhaps permanently, but not sure where they are now.

Cross posting as this seems applicable to a few different threads.

Heimburger at Heim Barbecue in Fort Worth (their River location). Two patties blended with smoked brisket, cheese and bacon burnt ends jam. Delicious. Great bun too. Think I have a new favorite burger. Side of bacon burnt ends pictured too (which they were also handing out samples of two in the order line).

eeb6311afc409e3cf91da05f249bbb35.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, futureman said:

has anyone here tried it?  how new is it?  I’ve never heard of it outside of this thread. 

Think he opened as a restaurant last October.

57 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Is brett an aggy?  That would explain everything.

I dunno. Snow's is aggy through and through, though. Tootsie is great peeps and I've already voted for them in the Final.

Brett’s is legit and he has caught lightning in a bottle out there in Rockdale. Brett is a really good dude and has a massive following. I’m not really surprised that he’s made it to the the final four. Polls like this are a popularity contest (seriously, most people who vote haven’t eaten at all these places) and Brett’s following is vocal. And that is not a slight on his cooking skill, because he is a solid cook.

Quoted for emphasis