Texas BBQ

Washpark

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Why would anyone knowingly do this?  I mean, you’re literally saying, I’m driving by some really great places and going to some shitty ones instead.  On purpose.  Not for cost or convenience or any other reason.  Simply because...because what?  I never understood people like you.

I've stated before... I've been in TN for 20 years.  Almost anything is an upgrade. I don't mind working my way up from cliche to awesome BBQ.

14 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I've stated before... I've been in TN for 20 years.  Almost anything is an upgrade. I don't mind working my way up from cliche to awesome BBQ.

But why?  If I lived in some godforsaken place that didn't have Whataburger, and I came back to Texas, I wouldn't feel as though I needed to hit the local McDonalds and Burger King first before working my way up to Whataburger.  If I live somewhere that has shit for Tex Mex and came back to Texas, I wouldn't feel like I needed to start with Taco Cabana before I worked my way up to any number of other great Tex Mex places.  I know those might not be quite apples to apples comparisons, but they're not too far off.  Is it like an "old stompin' grounds, nostalgia" thing?   I guess that I could see, but it didn't sound like you've been to the shitty places you mentioned.  Anyway, not my circus...not my monkeys.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 7:57 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Since I haven't tried all of the new 25, it didn't seem fair to vote - but I did anyway.  I have never had a bad bite of barbecue from the three I selected:  Brotherton's Black Iron Barbecue, Leroy & Lewis Barbecue, and . . .(ducking). . . John Mueller's Black Box Barbecue.

Three from the Top 50:  2M Smokehouse, The Pit Room, and Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ.

The TM BBQ Bracket is up and ready for voting.  The new joints are going head-to-head with the perennial favorites (Snow's, Franklin, Louie Mueller, etc.).  I had to pick Guess, Brotherton's, and LeRoy & Lewis over their competition.  I can't find a visual of the entire bracket, so I don't remember all of the match-ups.

• Like 1

Making my first trek down to Snow's this weekend. We plan to leave my buddy's house in Dallas at 5:30. Looks to be a 3-hour drive so we should be in line by 8:30/8:45 or so. Any idea on how long we can expect the line to be at that time?

• Like 2

On 5/30/2019 at 7:33 PM, ChampKind said:

* Patrick is a very good friend and called me to clear the meatloaf before he rolled it out.

No slight, but why would he need to clear something with you that people have been doing at home on their own for years?

Doing it at home is VASTLY different than doing it at your restaurant. Particularly when its something unique that sets you apart from your competition. Know how many guys in Houston do smoked meatloaf? Two...including Feges.

And its a professional courtesy. We don’t infringe on each other’s specialties

• Like 3

Making my first trek down to Snow's this weekend. We plan to leave my buddy's house in Dallas at 5:30. Looks to be a 3-hour drive so we should be in line by 8:30/8:45 or so. Any idea on how long we can expect the line to be at that time?
The 3 times i have been...got there twice at like 5-6am and was about 10th or so in line
The 3rd time with group got there at like 10 and was way back...didnt order until 12:30 or so and missed out on a few items

They open at 8 so if you get there 30 to 1hr after open you will be back aways but should be fine on not missing out on items unless a few huge orders are in front of ya

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Damn, that does sound good.  Kids love fried rice and there's always brisket scraps!

We're having a work group outing featuring Indian food (dot) at one person's house. A while back I joked that I would bring the biryani (never made it before) and everybody laughed and one person said I should probably stick to bbg or the like.  So I said, fine...brisket biryani.  Trial run will be this weekend before doing it again next week.  This gives me hope.  If it works out, I'll give Champ permission to use the idea.  Just kidding, Champ, I get where you're coming from on the meatloaf topic...

16 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'd put it right under Hutchins (McKinney)

Not too far from the casa - need to get out there more often.  Been to the one in Frisco a few times.  Not bad.  But I hear the north location is significantly better?  Can anyone confirm?

We are looking to cater a family reunion this Sunday in Hempstead.  50 people 

Currently my dad is looking at Spring Creek.  BOOO

Anything better than that between Houston and Hempstead?  I thought trying to see if Truth would work but it is too far away.

Thoughts?

Driving 10 from h town to sequin and then across 46 to 281.  Do we detour to truth in Brenham, Lockhart for blacks, or is there another ref for something more on route. I think either one of those out us off at least an hour, and brenham probably more than that. 

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Driving 10 from h town to sequin and then across 46 to 281.  Do we detour to truth in Brenham, Lockhart for blacks, or is there another ref for something more on route. I think either one of those out us off at least an hour, and brenham probably more than that. 

There is a Black's and a Cooper's in New Braunfels, or you can swing up 35 to Hays Co

Edited by AustinMT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, huge said:

We are looking to cater a family reunion this Sunday in Hempstead.  50 people 

Currently my dad is looking at Spring Creek.  BOOO

Anything better than that between Houston and Hempstead?  I thought trying to see if Truth would work but it is too far away.

Thoughts?

Brenham is 20 miles away.  Have them cater and deliver since it's for 50.

We have a place just north of Hempstead.  Been going there all my life.  There used to be a BBQ joint called Stumpy's right off business 290 in Hempstead.  It's been closed for 15 years or so.  But it had great ribs and some of the coldest beer.  Anyone else ever go there?

There is another BBQ joint on Hwy 6 about 5 miles north of Hempstead.  It is right on highway.  Very average.

There is a new place called First Class BBQ in Hempstead.  I have not tried it.  They do have smoked meatloaf on the menu.

https://www.firstclassbbq.com/bbq-catering-cfpj

On 6/2/2019 at 2:08 PM, Liteitup said:

I miss Flores too. Have you tried Helberg? The day we went, the brisket was exceptional.

Haven't tried Guess, afraid of the silo crowd. Have to try it after seeing the post above.

Never heard of Red Wagon, have to try that one as well. Is there any seating or is it to go only?

Red Wagon is part of Heritage Homestead, so they're reliant on the weekend visitor crowd.

while you're there you may want to hit Brazos Valley Cheese.

26 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

if you're in the central part of h town the brenham detour is only about 20 minutes different. of course the wait in line will add to that. 

30 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

There is a Black's and a Cooper's in New Braunfels, or you can swing up 35 to Hays Co

Have not tried hays. Think that’s what we are going to do. Fall back option will be coopers. Thanks.  Does hays sell out?

Edited by Anastasis

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Outside h town near sugar land. 

from 6 and 59, google maps thinks that's a 30 minute detour.  going to hays county would be a 10 minute detour.

Edited by elfenix
reading map wrong
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Have not tried hays. Think that’s what we are going to do. Fall back option will be coopers. Thanks.  Does hays sell out?

My pictures in this thread can back up how many times I've been there and I've never known them to sell out. We got the bbq pork belly last time, fantastic. And I'm a big fan of their hatch mac and cheese. Michael and Asenette are really good people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

City Market in Luling is almost directly on your route. Slight detour off 10 to get to Luling not far from Seguin.

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Only thing I have seen them out of was beef ribs.  And a second vote for the hatch mac and cheese

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

Every review I have seen on City Market in the last year or so has been very negative

Yeah. I ruled out LCM based on a few of the upthread reviews. 

Brisket was the star. The lean was very nicely done. It’s buried under the end cut. 

BFA867-FB-B188-492-B-91-F4-9872-ECBDD259

I can't defend City Market, I haven't been there within the last year. Their beef sausage was phenomenal when I went and there was no line at 7 am. BBQ for breakfast is pretty darned hard to beat. I hope they bounce back. 

Feges had the smoked meatloaf special again on Thursday. I hope they rotate the Thursday specials. I love meatloaf, but I'm not going to eat it every Thursday. Their most ice cold special is the brisket nachos on Tuesday. Their competition right across the Greenway Hub food court is a place called Cilantro's. They also offer nachos every Tuesday, the locally famous Macho Nachos. 

Are there any good BBQ spots near the Intramural Fields in Austin? I'll be there for a long weekend pretty soon. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

10 hours ago, elfenix said:

from 6 and 59, google maps thinks that's a 30 minute detour.  going to hays county would be a 10 minute detour.

Ended up sitting 30+ minutes at a standstill because some dumbfuck semi drivers decided to run into each other and shut down 10. Q was still good.