Texas BBQ

Washpark

35 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

The hat is from Camp Brisket. I’m anti-aggy, but their Meat Science Dept knows what’s up. And the instructors they bring in have next-level credentials.

Also...I’m pissed that my hat isn’t in that pic

Just watched an interview with him.  He mentioned college, but no SEC, whooping, or other indicators.  Seems like a good west Texas guy made good. 

I don't think he went to aggy. Every aggy I've ever known was very proud of their aggyness. Brett has never said or done anything that makes me think aggy. He's a good dude. The kind of guy who shows up to run your smoker for you in the middle of a festival so you can focus on something on everything else.

• Like 1

Anyone know how bad the Tejas line is on a Saturday? Want to get there early enough for the sausage.

Trick is to go early if possible and get one of the 25 golden tickets. I can’t remember when they set them out, maybe check their site. Guessing 7am?? Then just show back up at 11 when they open and you have priority in line.

21 hours ago, C-Man said:

plan is to hit Brett's this Saturday. For the few of you that have been, what time do we need to get there? Is there a big wait now he's hit TM fame? 

Ate at Guess in Waco today and it was damn good. I really like their bbq and the chipotle cheese sausage. They weren’t busy at all, kind of worries me. I got there at 12:30 and was only the 4th person there. Could be the damn heat too but it seems like it’s been this way for a few months now.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Ate at Guess in Waco today and it was damn good. I really like their bbq and the chipotle cheese sausage. They weren’t busy at all, kind of worries me. I got there at 12:30 and was only the 4th person there. Could be the damn heat too but it seems like it’s been this way for a few months now.

That was my experience back in May. I was the only person there. 

58 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Exactly! 

The have a brick and mortar in the near future from what I hear. I think their initial b&m location was scrapped and now are working on their second option.

They are getting pretty close to having things finished, but the way inspectors are backed up in Waco, you never know 

5 hours ago, BallamaticBevo said:

plan is to hit Brett's this Saturday. For the few of you that have been, what time do we need to get there? Is there a big wait now he's hit TM fame? 

He’s changed his opening time from 10:30 to 11:00. Get there between 11-12 and you’ll be fine. I’ve never waited in line over 15min. He’s usually busier on sundays anyway. He will have beef ribs for $28 that day as well as all the usuals, also big red pork belly.

Edited by McCoytoShipley

13 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Fifm 

Yeah -- I've wondered about that.  Waco is the place to speed through on the way to Dallas so I can get to West and stop for kolaches (klobasniky, whatever).  That said, as I posted a few days ago, stopped a Miller's in Belton last Friday.  BBQ was good, and the place was very busy.  You'd think a place could make it in Waco if one can in Belton

Cross-posting from the DFW sub.  Tried out Blu's BBQ in North Dallas for lunch yesterday.  For Dallas BBQ, I'd rank it somewhere around...

1. Cattleack

2. Pecan Lodge at its best

3. Blu's Barbeque

4. Pecan Lodge at its worst

Overall it was very solid and nice to have something new at least in the conversation for top 3 in town.  I've had other TM Top 50 joints that weren't nearly as good, that's for sure.

Went around 1:00 and it was pretty busy but no line.  The space is one part shitty enough, one part nice enough...about how a BBQ joint should be.

The guy cutting the meat was super friendly and they had things running pretty smooth.  He handed me a sample of everything he cut which is always a nice touch.  Ordered one of each meat and a couple different sides.  They have a ton of stuff on their menu that's coming soon.  Probably smart not to try to go too broad too soon until they get things dialed in.

Everything came wrapped in butcher paper then put in a plastic bag and that was the only thing for serving they had, or at least that we got.  Would have liked a tray or paper plate or something when ordering family style like that.  We made it work, but it was pretty messy.  Maybe just part of the charm or maybe we should have just asked for something.

They have Big Red on the fountain, which is always badass.  No beer that I could see, but I think I read they're hoping to add that at some point.

Tried their two sauces (spicy and regular) for those who like sauces and both were great, although I like the spicy better.

Prices seemed more than reasonable.  Don't really have a price per pound comparison, but seems like I order about half a pound of 4-5 meats plus a few sides and drinks a lot of other places and it's around $75 - $100.  This was around $50.  We had enough for two of us and we both left stuffed with quite a bit of leftovers.

Only concern will be consistency when it starts getting a lot more popular, which I predict will happen sooner than later.

Jalapeno Sausage - Really good, not too spicy, great snap and flavor.

robhWb.jpg

Brisket - I liked the fatty a lot better than the lean (always do), but they were both pretty good.  Cooked right, good crust, no real smoke ring to speak of, but I'm told that doesn't matter for taste.  Only complaint is a little inconsistent on the slicing. (looks a little dry in this pic, but was not - my photography skills must have sucked here as it was a lot better than it looks in the pic)

JrQv7P.jpg

Pulled Pork - Slightly mushy, but really great flavor.

fT0TmV.jpg

Pork Ribs - A little tight, but again, great flavor.  Solid rub on them.

3QbPRZ.jpg

Got 2 different kinds of beans (one loaded with brisket and sausage and one regular) and their 5 cheese mac and cheese for sides.  All were outstanding, but the loaded beans were the shit.  And fountain Big Red with free refills FTMFW.  Pickles were fine.

dhB3Zu.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Blu's got torched by DV for using on their website a photo of another joint's food

damn

2 months ago? not like they have the excuse of "probably not THAT Daniel Vaughn"

that said, this is my favorite response in the whole thread

I can just about guarantee their web developer put that in as a placeholder and they never got around to switching it out.  They should have never gone live with the site with that in there, but I'm sure they added it to the list of a million details you have to cover when you open a new restaurant and it fell through the cracks.  They probably even keep saying they're going to get a professional photoshoot done soon so they'll just switch it then.

Amazes me how much people's digital platforms go ignored when starting a new business.  See it all the time with small startups.  Ummmm, it's 2019...the first thing prospective customers are going to do is check out your website, social media and reviews when making their purchasing decisions.  You better have that shit on point in this day and age.

• Like 1

I can just about guarantee their web developer put that in as a placeholder and they never got around to switching it out.  They should have never gone live with the site with that in there, but I'm sure they added it to the list of a million details you have to cover when you open a new restaurant and it fell through the cracks.  They probably even keep saying they're going to get a professional photoshoot done soon so they'll just switch it then.
Amazes me how much people's digital platforms go ignored when starting a new business.  See it all the time with small startups.  Ummmm, it's 2019...the first thing prospective customers are going to do is check out your website, social media and reviews when making their purchasing decisions.  You better have that shit on point in this day and age.

It is unfortunate but true. Have to get with the times. No one is going to get a food boner looking at some half assed snapshots on Instagram. You could have the best bbq in Texas, but without some good social media presence, business will suffer in this day and age.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

You could have the best bbq in Texas, but without some good social media presence, business will suffer in this day and age.

if you really had the best bbq in the state of texas you could operate a trailer on the outskirts of palestine without even a landline and still print money.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Probably true. But that is a cardinal sin in this industry, and the guy running their pits has been around long enough to know it. When I started Buck's, I didn't use pics from Pappa Charlies (even though a bunch of the stuff we had pics of was food I cooked). I took my own damn pics of my own damn food and had those posted to my site and sm platforms. And as our business has matured, we've updated the food pics a number of times. About to do it again, too. Ain't hard. Hell, I'm borderline retarded and even I could figure that out.

• Like 3

Yeah, even in the dark ages right after Al Gore invented the internet, I didn't use pictures of Klose BBQ pits and post them on my father-in-law's Smokemaster website.  

Actually, I scanned in pictures from his color printed brochures, and posted those up on the website.  I even made a custom animated GIF of his logo with flames burning on it.  It was some fancy shit for 1998, I'm telling you.  Geocities quality artwork for sure.

Edited by utee94

On 7/11/2019 at 7:09 AM, Landomatic said:

Cross-posting from the DFW sub.  Tried out Blu's BBQ in North Dallas for lunch yesterday.  For Dallas BBQ, I'd rank it somewhere around...

1. Cattleack

2. Pecan Lodge at its best

3. Blu's Barbeque

4. Pecan Lodge at its worst

Hutchins?  Agree on PL.  Big fan.

2 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Probably true. But that is a cardinal sin in this industry, and the guy running their pits has been around long enough to know it. When I started Buck's, I didn't use pics from Pappa Charlies (even though a bunch of the stuff we had pics of was food I cooked). I took my own damn pics of my own damn food and had those posted to my site and sm platforms. And as our business has matured, we've updated the food pics a number of times. About to do it again, too. Ain't hard. Hell, I'm borderline retarded and even I could figure that out.

Cast's doubt into what's becoming a hyper-competitive market.  Too many alternatives out there.  All the transplants moving into the neighborhood want "authentic" Texas BBQ.  Starting with bootlegged pics isn't exactly endearing.  Just hire someone with a half-way decent camera and have them work their magic.  

Had lunch yesterday at Brett’s, trying to beat what surely will be a crowd before long. Food was great, tried the picco sausage out of curiosity and it wasn’t all that. Talked with Brett while standing in line, he’s a super nice guy. fd278ab364994acabf4e634ed15a508f.jpg

What’s up with JM at Black Box? All his cookers and trailers are gone, the only trailer on the lot was a different serving trailer. All “Black Box” signage was gone and a banner saying John Mueller BBQ coming. Can’t imagine things not going as planned for him.

What’s up with JM at Black Box? All his cookers and trailers are gone, the only trailer on the lot was a different serving trailer. All “Black Box” signage was gone and a banner saying John Mueller BBQ coming. Can’t imagine things not going as planned for him.

Maybe someone stole his pit again.

3 hours ago, RMac5 said:

he’s cooking.  just a different trailer.  at least he was a month ago when I was there.