Texas BBQ

Washpark

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

I learned what to order at a BBQ joint by listening to REK, so Big Red is a constant.

Someone refresh my memory...what was the running joke about BBQ on the other site?  Something something approved?  And what was the back story?  Drawing a complete blank on the phrase and the reason for it.  And I don’t think it ever made it over here that I’ve seen.

14 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Someone refresh my memory...what was the running joke about BBQ on the other site?  Something something approved?  And what was the back story?  Drawing a complete blank on the phrase and the reason for it.  And I don’t think it ever made it over here that I’ve seen.

Haggis approved?

That was a lot of beers ago, but I seem to recall he was insistent on the traditional view of cooking BBQ-- so he believed it had to be a stick-burning offset, running at exactly 225, etc.  He didn't take too kindly to mentions of BGE, WSM, pellet, electric, or anything else of that ilk.

I can't even imagine how he'd react to our current crop of militant sous vide activists-- we didn't have much of that back in the day on the old site.

I made these back in 2012
c5dc615f3eb0be56907d424b1ea6d2c8.jpg
4e996b7376ed6586fbaa1b4e88670b26.jpg

48 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Going to Franklin's Barbeques is on my bucket list.  I hope to hit it up soon, and when I do, I'm going to start a new thread all about my experience there.

Well I'm having Franklin on Sunday for the first time (finally got around to planning a pre-order) so I might beat you to making that thread. But our experiences are likely to be different so make your own instead of posting in mine.

• Like 1

Surly, choose my lunch. Options are Pinkerton’s, Truth or The Pit Room. I had Pinkerton’s last week, but could 2peat.

If you have time for any of those, you have time for Feges. That would be my pick. Parking is easy access off Buff Spdwy, and they validate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Surly, choose my lunch. Options are Pinkerton’s, Truth or The Pit Room. I had Pinkerton’s last week, but could 2peat.

I'd go to the Pit Room if it were me, especially having Pinkerton's last week.  If Truth in Houston is on par with Brenham, you can't go wrong there either.

I'd go to the Pit Room if it were me, especially having Pinkerton's last week.  If Truth in Houston is on par with Brenham, you can't go wrong there either.

I think Truth is starting to hit their stride. Each time I have gone it has been good, but not as good as in brenham. But seems to be getting better. Decisions, decisions.

Do all 3 and blog about it

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I think Truth is starting to hit their stride. Each time I have gone it has been good, but not as good as in brenham. But seems to be getting better. Decisions, decisions.

Went to try Kerlin's BBQ yesterday for lunch and was disappointed. Brisket was 5.5/10, kinda dry. Peppery rub was good, bark was good, but dry? C'mon mann..... Sausage Kolache was off the charts though, I did enjoy that, 9/10. Hopefully I caught them on a bad day, I've seen it recommended a couple times for good BBQ on the east side without the wait of Franklin or even La BBQ, but I'd gladly wait for LA if this is the alternative on Cesar Chavez.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I did three places within 36 hours back in 2012. Holy shit was that the best mistake I ever made. Well, that and psycho aggy chick with the amazing tits.

pfffft..... In 2009, I did seven places in one day, which included the Top 5 ranked by TX Monthly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Unfortunately, no Big Red. Trying to watch the sugar intake. I went back to Pinkerton’s and it wasn’t a mistake. Absolutely glorious brisket and sausage today.

I also had to sit in horror and watch my Venezuelan colleague cut the bark off his brisket.

i hope you ate it off his tray

• Like 1

Stopped by Micklethwait today.  Brisket, jalapeno/cheese sausage, and pulled lamb.  Food was excellent as always.  Always satisfying driving past the 3 hour line at Franklin for a 15 minute trip to Micklethwait, which, outside of brisket, is on par with or better than Franklin.

Unfortunately, no Big Red. Trying to watch the sugar intake. I went back to Pinkerton’s and it wasn’t a mistake. Absolutely glorious brisket and sausage today.

I also had to sit in horror and watch my Venezuelan colleague cut the bark off his brisket.

Wasn’t there pictures of a person eating at franklin’s and using scissors to cut their bark off? Did I make that up?

4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Stopped by Micklethwait today.  Brisket, jalapeno/cheese sausage, and pulled lamb.  Food was excellent as always.  Always satisfying driving past the 3 hour line at Franklin for a 15 minute trip to Micklethwait, which, outside of brisket, is on par with or better than Franklin.

Tell me more about the lamb. When I am out of country one of my favorites is lamb. Just can’t find it enough here in the states. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaddie said:

Tell me more about the lamb. When I am out of country one of my favorites is lamb. Just can’t find it enough here in the states. 

Smoked and pulled just like pork butt -- same consistency as pulled pork with the distinct flavor of lamb. 

I picked up a boneless leg of lamb from Costco a couple weeks ago.  Planning on slow smoking it on the kamado whole to medium rare which is how I prefer lamb.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 7/18/2019 at 8:07 AM, XYZ said:
Urgent help needed. I’m in Denver. Is there and joint (pun intended) that sells really good smoked brisket here?

No. Lots of good restaurants, but not BBQ yet.

Which restaurants do you recommend?

15 hours ago, deft said:

Wasn’t there pictures of a person eating at franklin’s and using scissors to cut their bark off? Did I make that up?

12 hours ago, futureman said:

I remember that.  sparked quite the shaggy outrage.

I'm beginning to hate this planet.