Texas BBQ

Washpark

35 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

If you are on the North side of Houston. Check out Corkscrew in old town spring. For my money, best in the Houston area.

I have been once and it was great.  It is hard though to pick a clear favorite in Houston.  In no particular order, Tejas, Buck's, Pinkerton's and Corkscrew have amazing BBQ.  Can't go wrong with any of them.

in no order and without much perspective this is my bbq tour

Franklin Barbecue

Visited 3+ years ago and was blown away. Every review you read is right but I refuse to go back due to the wait. Respect the BBQ but think for the wait kills its. 

Micklethwait

Favorite spot but not best bbq. most creative and don't think the place gets enough love. I believe this place is the most interesting bbq place that I have been and would easily be the top spot that I would recommend to people. Love the sides and great cue. Every meat is good / interesting. This is new age BBQ

Terry Blacks

Good but not memorable. Would be a #1 if wasn't in Austin  given the competition. No line and good but so much better in the city. They are a top 20 but again Austin is saturated with better BBQ.

Cattlelack

I am not a fan. I know the love and maybe was an off day but thought it was very average. Plan to revisit but don't understand the love of this place. I don't agree with the ranking of this place.

Lockhart

Worth a visit. Go for the sauage imo and believe the drive is worth it. Maybe oldschool but I like the small time towns and feels more right to me eating here than any other place. Will always be a favorite.

Pecan Lodge 

If i had only1 BBQ place to eat, I would only go here. I think without a doubt this is the best place for price/ convenience / taste is my favorite spot. Easily top 5 BBQ but I see quality declining but my friends disagree. 

Kruez

4+ years ago so not sure I can opine but loved it. I brought family who had to drive 2+ hours and they were happy afterwards. I think these places should get more love because of their classic style.

Hutchins

I don't shit on BBQ but think this is good BBQ but I think very uninspired. Happy to eat here but wouldn't go out of my way. 

Louie Muller

I would give my first born to have this BBQ served to me for life. 

Tejas Chocolate Craftory

I wanted to hate this place but great brisket and very creative. Should get more love because the owners are very creative in their meats. I love the different style and see these players as innovating in the space.

• Like 1

Whenever I go back to Lockhart, I'm shocked by how little everything has changed, especially compared to every other town and city near the Austin and the I-35 corridor to San Antonio. It almost like going back in time for me.

We must have similar tastes because that peppery sausage is what I miss the most living in Idaho.

Had Truth BBQ the other day for the 2nd time. Wasn't near as good as the first time. The first time I went it was possibly the best BBQ I ever ate. This time it was no better than most of the top tier joints you hear about. With as slow as the line moves, they gotta keep bringing the heat. There were maybe 20-25 people in front of me and it took 45 minutes. And I got there prior to opening on a weekday. I guess that is to be expected, but man it's a beating waiting in line that long when you go during a Wednesday in Brenham, Tx of all places. 

12 hours ago, South Austin said:

Has Smitty’s gotten better? I haven’t been in years. It was one of my favorites but heard the quality was dipping.

The brisket was so bad the last couple of times I don't even bother anymore.  Which is sad because it was my favorite in Lockhart for a long time.

Now Black's is my clear favorite, by a landslide really.

1 hour ago, Washpark said:

Pody's BBQ

Meh but was in the middle of nowhere and needed a fix. Would stop by and eat there again but wouldn't travel to try it.

City Market

Really has gone down in quality over the years imo or the bar has been raised a lot.

I had city market a few weeks ago. It was pretty bad. 

1 hour ago, Biscuits And Groovy said:

2M in San Antonio is worth a trip if you’re in the area. It might make the traditionalists get irrationally mad but it has good meat. Their sauce is more of a sort of syrup glaze instead of a sauce and instead of white bread they offer to sell you home made tortillas. 

2M is my place to go in SA.  Brisket, ribs, and sausages are all very good.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Washpark said:

Micklethwait

Favorite spot but not best bbq. most creative and don't think the place gets enough love. I believe this place is the most interesting bbq place that I have been and would easily be the top spot that I would recommend to people. Love the sides and great cue. Every meat is good / interesting. This is new age BBQ

Agree. Their brisket isn't quite on par with some of the best in the state but you can always go there on the weekend and get damn good bbq with minimal lines and free beer. Hard to beat.

I went with a friend a couple weeks back and they had jalapeno cheddar grits. Fucking fantastic.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

2M is my place to go in SA.  Brisket, ribs, and sausages are all very good.

Great meat and their sides are bomb as hell. Just not the most traditional, especially for the CenTex crowd. That Chiccharon Mac and Cheese tho... that shit is so good. And honestly, I’d rather pay $2 or whatever for 6 fresh home made tortillas than get a slab of Walmart brand white bread for free. 

1 hour ago, Biscuits And Groovy said:

Great meat and their sides are bomb as hell. Just not the most traditional, especially for the CenTex crowd. That Chiccharon Mac and Cheese tho... that shit is so good. And honestly, I’d rather pay $2 or whatever for 6 fresh home made tortillas than get a slab of Walmart brand white bread for free. 

Chicharron Mac 'n' Cheese sounds amazing. Please, tell me more--I will be in San Antonio by the end of April.

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Chicharron Mac 'n' Cheese sounds amazing. Please, tell me more--I will be in San Antonio by the end of April.

They’re only open Thursday-Sunday. Open at 11. I’d try to get there before noon on the weekends because even though San Antonio isn’t a wait in line sort of town 2M gets a line going. When the sell out of something it’s gone until they have more, and I’ve seen them sell out of brisket somewhat early. Their sauce is a sweet molasses base without any heat or tomato flavor, so it’s unique but you don’t need a lot of it. Good BBQ is good without sauce anyways, but I’ve seen people thrown off by 2M’s sauce. And if you want bread you gotta pay for their tortillas, but they’re worth it because they’re fresh made and dope as hell. 

Edited by Biscuits And Groovy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Biscuits And Groovy said:

They’re only open Thursday-Sunday. Open at 11. I’d try to get there before noon on the weekends because even though San Antonio isn’t a wait in line sort of town 2M gets a line going. When the sell out of something it’s gone until they have more, and I’ve seen them sell out of brisket somewhat early. Their sauce is a sweet molasses base without any heat or tomato flavor, so it’s unique but you don’t need a lot of it. Good BBQ is good without sauce anyways, but I’ve seen people thrown off by 2M’s sauce. And if you want bread you gotta pay for their tortillas, but they’re worth it because they’re fresh made and dope as hell. 

Appreciated. I'll skip the sauce when ordering, but tortillas are always welcome.

Don't know if it goes in this thread but I was lucky enough to spend three days with some of the legends of BBQ at the NBBQA convention. Names like Mike Mills, Dave Raymond, Chris Lilly, Mark Lambert and Brad Orrison. Kent Black taught a brisket class. Mark Lambert and Malcom Reed taught a rib class. There was a whole hog class and even a whole lamb demonstration, Best of all the meals were catered by the pittmasters themselves. I was in true BBQ heaven,

12 hours ago, Cleo McDowell said:

Agreed on Willow's. Never busy when I've gone, and bonus points for being at a bar. I've never been there for the late night menu but it looks pretty good as well. 

Real nice guy. Close friend of a close friend. Only been once since he moved to Big Star Bar but I have had his food 3 times now and have been very happy each time. 

19 hours ago, Biscuits And Groovy said:

2M in San Antonio is worth a trip if you’re in the area. It might make the traditionalists get irrationally mad but it has good meat. Their sauce is more of a sort of syrup glaze instead of a sauce and instead of white bread they offer to sell you home made tortillas. 

2M serves some fantastic BBQ, and their tortillas are amazing (yeah, yeah, yeah) - probably have some of my favorite sausage there as well. HIGHLY recommend it if you are anywhere near SA or want an interesting BBQ experience. 

On 3/25/2018 at 9:23 PM, Washpark said:

Micklethwait

I know I'm going to hear shit for this, but the brisket frito pie is phenomenal.  

Franklin Barbecue

Visited 3+ years ago and was blown away. Every review you read is right but I refuse to go back due to the wait. Respect the BBQ but think for the wait kills its. 

Micklethwait

Terry Blacks

Good but not memorable. Would be a #1 if wasn't in Austin  given the competition. No line and good but so much better in the city. They are a top 20 but again Austin is saturated with better BBQ.

Cattlelack

I am not a fan. I know the love and maybe was an off day but thought it was very average. Plan to revisit but don't understand the love of this place. I don't agree with the ranking of this place.

Lockhart

Worth a visit. Go for the sauage imo and believe the drive is worth it. Maybe oldschool but I like the small time towns and feels more right to me eating here than any other place. Will always be a favorite.

Pecan Lodge 

If i had only1 BBQ place to eat, I would only go here. I think without a doubt this is the best place for price/ convenience / taste is my favorite spot. Easily top 5 BBQ but I see quality declining but my friends disagree. 

Kruez

4+ years ago so not sure I can opine but loved it. I brought family who had to drive 2+ hours and they were happy afterwards. I think these places should get more love because of their classic style.

Hutchins

I don't shit on BBQ but think this is good BBQ but I think very uninspired. Happy to eat here but wouldn't go out of my way. 

Louie Muller

Tejas Chocolate Craftory

I wanted to hate this place but great brisket and very creative. Should get more love because the owners are very creative in their meats. I love the different style and see these players as innovating in the space.

Decent list - being in N.Dallas, I second your admiration for Pecan Lodge (used to eat his stuff back he was selling out of the back of his car in the old Countrywide parking lot in Plano, before he had a spot at the Farmers Market). 

Haven't made it to Cattleack.  They make it too hard to get in and out, and their model of intended scarcity is a pain in the ass.  Lockhart's is 'ok'.  Better than Hard 8's or Three Stacks.  But not at the level of the others mentioned.  Heim is pretty legit as well.  Though they sometimes have consistency issues.

*have to give a shout out to North Main in Euless.  Only open a few days a week.  Some old gray-hair in a lawn chair up front taking cash only.  Amazing ribs.  Big ass armadillo smoker out back. 

Franklin Barbecue

Micklethwait

Terry Blacks

Cattlelack

Lockhart

Pecan Lodge 

Kruez

Hutchins

Louie Muller

Tejas Chocolate Craftory

Kreuz is just not any good anymore. In fact, I've heard Smitty's has slipped pretty far these days too. I think a lot of it has to do with the extended hours PL is open now. I do not like what David does to his pork ribs at Cattleack, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Decent list - being in N.Dallas, I second your admiration for Pecan Lodge (used to eat his stuff back he was selling out of the back of his car in the old Countrywide parking lot in Plano, before he had a spot at the Farmers Market). 

Haven't made it to Cattleack.  They make it too hard to get in and out, and their model of intended scarcity is a pain in the ass.  Lockhart's is 'ok'.  Better than Hard 8's or Three Stacks.  But not at the level of the others mentioned.  Heim is pretty legit as well.  Though they sometimes have consistency issues.

*have to give a shout out to North Main in Euless.  Only open a few days a week.  Some old gray-hair in a lawn chair up front taking cash only.  Amazing ribs.  Big ass armadillo smoker out back. 

I third the love for Pecan Lodge, by far the best in Dallas.  Three Stacks in Frisco has fallen off the face of the BBQ earth in my opinion.  It was great when it first opened, but shortly after they made some changes and it just went downhill.  Lockhart BBQ is a distant second to PL but still very good in its own right.  Also, love Main St BBQ in Euless.  Can't get any better than good bbq that is all you can eat! 

6 minutes ago, Big_kat said:

I third the love for Pecan Lodge, by far the best in Dallas.  Three Stacks in Frisco has fallen off the face of the BBQ earth in my opinion.  It was great when it first opened, but shortly after they made some changes and it just went downhill.  Lockhart BBQ is a distant second to PL but still very good in its own right.  Also, love Main St BBQ in Euless.  Can't get any better than good bbq that is all you can eat! 

I mean, I get the love for PL but saying it is "by far the best in Dallas" (assuming you mean the Metroplex in general) just isn't the case. I strongly believe that Cattle Ack is better than PL, as do many folks who have eaten a ton more BBQ than I have, but to say it is "by far the best" is flat out wrong

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

I mean, I get the love for PL but saying it is "by far the best in Dallas" (assuming you mean the Metroplex in general) just isn't the case. I strongly believe that Cattle Ack is better than PL, as do many folks who have eaten a ton more BBQ than I have, but to say it is "by far the best" is flat out wrong

giphy.gif

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Don’t forget about Valentina’s down south.  They have some good stuff, even if it’s not all traditional. 

Truth. I live nearby and go there once every 2 or 3 weeks. It's my favorite place to go these days for BBQ. Brisket tacos are delicious and The Real Deal Holyfield breakfast taco is amazing. I'd recommend going during the week if you can because the lines during the weekend get pretty long and the line can move kind of slowly. Plus, it's a good choice for dinner since they're usually open until 8 or 9pm.

12 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I think Lockhart in Bishop Arts > Pecan Lodge

But then again, I also loved Hutchins (especially their all you can eat, which we would go to and get our money worth bigly). North Main in Euless was gross, but for all you can eat, I can see why you would go from time to time.

Question: What is the prevailing opinion on 1050 and Hard Eight? They seem almost identical in appearance and layout and taste to me, are they the same company? They are quick and easy stops...

Hard Eight is "good".  It's a big, social place with lots of big, open pits and long lines.  Ribeye is surprisingly good.  Get one when you can.  Been to both the Colony and Coppell locations so I can't speak to consistency issues.  They aren't going to compete with Pecan Lodge, Lockhart, Cattleack, Heim's, etc.  But they are fun to visit and they get you in/out efficiently.  Worth making the trip.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NoName said:

They all have their differences.  To me, PL has upped their game with their amazing beef ribs and brisket.  BBQ pork doesn't define a great BBQ joint.  Beef is what does it here.  Like I said, I met Justin back in the day selling his fare in the back of a truck in an old parking lot during lunch hours.  So I've been able to experience his evolution and style over the years.  So yeah, there's a subjective attachment to his place.  

2 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Indeed, the only real reasonable options for bbq during lunch for me is a Hard Eight/1050 style joint due to not wanting to spend 2.5 hours commuting and waiting in line, etc.

Yep.  You can't discount the logistics in these places.  Which is why I just can't get behind Cattleack's.  I've tried on multiple occasions to get down there and it's just too damn hard.  IN the end, it's all still BBQ and better than most places.  I even rock Rudy's on the weekends:  their breakfast tacos and beans are the shit!