Texas BBQ

Washpark

3 hours ago, Paco said:

The one on Barton springs used to have the best chicken fried steak in town but I haven't been in years. Never tried the barbecue.

I have, but wish I hadn't.  If you are really really desperate for 'cue, you're better off at Bill Miller's.  I wish this was hyperbole, but it isn't.

Go to a legit barbecue joint for barbecue. If you crave fry okras just stop by a Church's Chicken. They do it the right way with a crispy corn meal base, not with the same thickass chicken dough.

Fresh, crunchy, cornmeal breaded okra is a dying breed, and I think it’s one of the great tragedies of the past quarter century.
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Fresh, crunchy, cornmeal breaded okra is a dying breed, and I think it’s one of the great tragedies of the past quarter century.

Cornmeal breading works great for a lot of things. 

My dad is from West Texas (Alpine) and he makes his chile relleno the way they did out there when he was growing up in the 40s/50s, with a thin cornmeal crust rather than a thicker flour-based batter.  He also uses New Mexican green chile rather than poblano.  The end-result is absolutely delicious.  In fact, every year during "Hatch season" he makes a big batch and invites the extended family over.  He always does some stuffed with cheese only, but he experiments with other fillings and my favorites have been his brisket, and pecan-smoked pork butt.  This year's event will be Sunday night, can't wait!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

My dad is from West Texas (Alpine) and he makes his chile relleno the way they did out there when he was growing up in the 40s/50s, with a thin cornmeal crust rather than a thicker flour-based batter.  He also uses New Mexican green chile rather than poblano.  The end-result is absolutely delicious.  In fact, every year during "Hatch season" he makes a big batch and invites the extended family over.  He always does some stuffed with cheese only, but he experiments with other fillings and my favorites have been his brisket, and pecan-smoked pork butt.  This year's event will be Sunday night, can't wait!

@Pescado_Rojo once whipped up a batch, using Hatch green chiles, that he stuffed with boudin, battered, fried, and served with a green chile cream gravy.  They were, ummm, magnificent.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

@Pescado_Rojo once whipped up a batch, using Hatch green chiles, that he stuffed with boudin, battered, fried, and served with a green chile cream gravy.  They were, ummm, magnificent.

Sounds good, if he asks for input I'll suggest boudin.  He always makes a traditional cooked salsa for it, with tomato, onion, and more green chile. It's incredible.

On 8/12/2019 at 4:46 PM, utee94 said:

I'll bet I know your dad.

Ask him if he remembers Hallie Stillwell.  She never made chile relleno, however.

Ate bacon every gotdamned day.  Lived to be 100.  Let that be a lesson to ya.

• Haha 1

ill be in round rock for one night this weekend and will have a group of folks wanting bbq.  my first thought was just to drive to snow's but if there are good options closer, im open.  not interested in salt lick...should we just drive over to taylor for LMueller or is snow's the right answer? 

1 hour ago, chesthair said:

ill be in round rock for one night this weekend and will have a group of folks wanting bbq.  my first thought was just to drive to snow's but if there are good options closer, im open.  not interested in salt lick...should we just drive over to taylor for LMueller or is snow's the right answer? 

Which night?

Snow's is only open on Saturday mornings.  Louie Mueller is open til 6.  

I'd recommend Brotherton's in Pflugerville, should be open til 7 on Fri/Sat, and 3 on Sunday.  I typically go at lunch, not sure if they sell out before closing regularly, or not.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, chesthair said:

driving down either tonight or early tomorrow so we could make it to snow's.  i was wondering about brotherton...you would suggest that over mueller? 

For everything but beef rib, yes.  Brotherton doesn't do beef ribs as far as I know.  

If you haven't it your group hasn't been to Snow's, that's a great place to go. You'll have to go early Saturday morning as they open at 8:00.

Liberty Barbecue in Round Rock is the restaurant co-owned by Brotherton. Table service as opposed to the typical waiting on line.

If it were me, I'd start at Snow's, stop by Brett's Backyard in Rockdale on the way back, and then hit a third place in Taylor, Round Rock, Pflugerville, or Georgetown.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, futureman said:

lots of “better” places than snow’s, eh?  classic greenspoint.

For the effort and small window of time, there are 20-30 places id rather go in the greater austin area than snows. Thats what i meant. And yes, snows aint that great. It gets propped up by the classic trifecta of hype:

1) located in a super small town an hour from a large city

2) has a pit master who is a grizzled old woman

3) has a long line where u have to get there super early just one day a week just to get food

Id def. say its the most overrated bbq in the state. Its pretty dang good cue, but not even close to worth the hassle/hype. 

Edited by GreenspointTexas
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

For the effort and small window of time, there are 20-30 places id rather go in the greater austin area than snows. Thats what i meant. And yes, snows aint that great. It gets propped up by the classic trifecta of hype:

3) has a long line where u have to get there super early just one day a week just to get food

Id def. say its the most overrated bbq in the state. Its pretty dang good cue, but not even close to worth the hassle/hype. 

Please list the 20-30 better places in Austin.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Please list the 20-30 better places in Austin.

Off the top of my head (and of places ive been):

J Leonardis

Scottys

Lamberts

LA BBQ

Micklethwait

Oakwood

Brothertons

John Mueller

Wunderpig

Kinfolk

Terry Blacks

Kerlin

Browns

Leroy and Lewis

Whitfields

Valentinas

Ten Gauge/Texas Ranch

Big Vinnys

Keiths bbq

Rollin smoke

Didnt list franklins due to a longer line than snows. Never been to interstellar... stiles switch sucks, gordos also sucks, pretty much ever other place i listed has very little wait and excellent bbq. And are open multiple days a week and all are within 15 min or so from downtown. Again, if u wanna drive 2 hours and wait 2 hours in line for bbq, thats fine... but 3/4 of the places i listed have great cue and almost always dont have a line

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Off the top of my head (and of places ive been):

J Leonardis

Scottys

Lamberts

LA BBQ

Micklethwait

Oakwood

Brothertons

John Mueller

Wunderpig

Kinfolk

Terry Blacks

Kerlin

Browns

Leroy and Lewis

Whitfields

Valentinas

Ten Gauge/Texas Ranch

Big Vinnys

Keiths bbq

Rollin smoke

Didnt list franklins due to a longer line than snows. Never been to interstellar... stiles switch sucks, gordos also sucks, pretty much ever other place i listed has very little wait and excellent bbq. And are open multiple days a week and all are within 15 min or so from downtown. Again, if u wanna drive 2 hours and wait 2 hours in line for bbq, thats fine... but 3/4 of the places i listed have great cue and almost always dont have a line

I stopped reading at Lambert’s

• Like 3

Ended up at Brotherton's, good call.  Wasnt too crowded and everything on the menu was available.  Everyone in the group ordered something different and passed stuff around.  Brisket was solid, ribs were good.  Jap sausage was good too.  The sandwiches were really good.  The only real let down was a shitty beer selection.  

17 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

i would love to hear that list of 20-30 better places in the Austin area, but that is mainly because i want to laugh at you.

i get your general point (2 hours of drive time + say 90 min of line + say 30 min of eating is a lot) but to say they "ain't that great" implies that they serve mediocre BBQ, which they most assuredly do not. this is even more confusing because you, like 3 sentences later, say its "pretty dang good"

are there other places out there in Texas serving better BBQ more days per week with less line? yes. 

-----

"classic" trifecta makes me laugh also - how many other places in Texas getting any kind of actual publication match up with:

1) town of like 1200 people

2) have a woman pitmaster of any age

3) is open one day a week (leading to the line issue)

i mean, as far as i know there are only a handful of places statewide that are pretty well thought of that have a legit woman pitmaster. only a few places in the state are super well thought of and in a town of less than say 1500 (and one of them just moved to FW from Cresson, population 875) and i am not sure of anyone else in the state who serves both really good BBQ and is open one day a week.

so how in the hell is that a "classic trifecta" when it basically covers exactly 1 place in Texas?

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1